• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 Announces Nominees for X-Play Best of 2011 Awards. Skyward Sword am cry.

StevieP

Banned
it's NOT HD, dude!!1! it cannot be beautiful!

They can play it in HD should they exhibit some level of technical knowledge. From the Dolphin thread:
z7-2.png

dolphin2011-12-0121-1f50bg.jpg

SOUP01-28.png

6 nominations for LA Noire. Hands down my worst purchase of the 2011. Guess I won't be watching this.

Is LA Noire really that bad? I haven't made my purchase yet, due to my excessive backlog (be it Zelda, Xenoblade import, Skyrim, BF3, Mario 3D, etc etc) but I was planning on picking it up in January/February after I finish with a few of those.

It looks like a lot of fun:
LANgunshop-1-.jpg

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
A fantasy of mine that one day Morgan Webb will come to respect Nintendo.

*sigh*

Awful list all around, but I find the lack of Rayman Origins in the Art Direction category particularly offensive. In fact, Rayman Origins and Dead Space 2 both deserve a much larger presence overall imo.

Riposte

Isn't Serious Sam 3 suppose to be like god-like compared to stuff like Rage? I am dying to play it, but school :(. Did it come too late or is it getting a poor reception?

Along with Ghost Trick I am surprised someone who is paid to write about videogames still cares about Catherine. Good for them. Doesn't balance out the overrated quality of LA Noire.

Trey

Even while being a buggy mess, Skyrim can do no wrong on GAF.

I don't understand why people dislike SS so much. I've heard nothing but great things.

What I've always found strange about these awards is that they list the contenders for GOTY before giving out the awards for the best game in each genre. I mean, aren't they basically saying that Skyrim is the best RPG of the year by making it the only RPG in the list of potential GOTY winners?

It makes no sense.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't get it. G4 has sucked and will continue to suck. Why are we acting like they didn't suck before this thread? Suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

Branduil

A fantasy of mine that one day Morgan Webb will come to respect Nintendo.

*sigh*

I'd settle for her leaving gaming "journalism." There's no benefit to having people in the industry with the mentality of 13-year-old gamefaqs posters.

Leaving Skyward Sword off the list isn't so bad as some of their other choices for nominations. But it's not like they were going to vote SS for GOTY either way. They can still make a valid choice of Portal 2 for it, but I doubt they will.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
LA Noire in a nominated GOTY slot instead of Dark Souls is straight up fuckin' trolling.

Good to see Dark Souls up there more than once. Hope it wins all the categories instead of losing to some cookie cutter bro game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
They certainly know their audience.
Pretty much, LOL.

I don't understand why people dislike SS so much. I've heard nothing but great things.
There are some issues with the game (excessive hand-holding and some areas of questionable padding, which can be taken subjectively), but it's still a game that's in a league of its own. It's a victim of its own hype, I think. Once that calms down there will be less hate aimed at it.

Oh man, what a list!

Game of the Year
Batman: Arkham City
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Gears of War 3
L.A. Noire
Portal 2
Saints Row: The Third
Super Mario 3D Land

No Uncharted 3?

Can't believe they chose Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet over Fruit Ninja Kinect or Toy Soldiers: Cold War for Best Downloadable Game :(

Gears 3 everywhere.

ultron87

I find Dark Souls multiplayer really interesting and innovative, but I don't think I would ever describe it as "the best". Especially since this seems to be referring to competitive multiplayer (since there is a separate co-op category).

Derrick01

Banned
Look I'm as happy as anyone that Zelda wasn't nominated but you're gonna put LA Noire up instead? Come on G4 :lol

At least they got the RPG nominees right and included Deus Ex and Witcher 2 with Skyrim.

And for the nolan north category he has to win for Penguin. I mean he was great as always as Drake but as much as everyone knows his voice no one knew he did Penguin until the credits rolled. It was great.

edit: How can Uncharted 3 not be nominated for best animation?? It's THE leading game of the generation for animation.

Basch

I liked most of the choices, namely the mention of Legend of Heroes in the Best RPG nominations, but Best Animation and GotY is a little fuckey. Not only is there no Zelda, but no Uncharted. And while I liked the Best Performance by Nolan North category, I thought the non-Nolan North nominees to be sexist. Though, I'm glad they mention Aaron Staton. They really should have made a best Male and Female Performance category. The competition was immense this year.

Riposte

Oh poor Child of Eden. (Poor Kinect.)

EDIT: The promise of LA Noire is the best game of the year in some people's minds. It is like the two Obamas webcomic.

Festival of Blood over Outland is sad. More categorization beyond 'best game you could download' would really help get the word out on gems passed over by too many gamers.

AAK

GOTY can be relatively subjective.... but I'm confused as to why UC3 isn't nominated for Best animation?

That is what ND are known for.

Sullichin

Dark Souls nominated for best multiplayer but not best co-op? Shit, that game has the best co-op EVER. No Dark Souls or Uncharted or Zelda for GOTY? List is dumb etc

Top Bottom