• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Mafia [Mafia] lOTl Should've Gone for Bagels...

squidyj

If I might hazard a guess, I'm fairly certain that she merely wants Splinter to refrain from hassling us in reference to his disparaging remarks about my personality as well as his treatment of Sawneeks in the DR game.

Not to say I was offended by Splinter's opinion though. A little hostility only means that I'm doing my job.

What's your job this game?

squidyj

I do like asking the direct questions though, I like the tone and flavor of the responses.

I also like novelty knitted hats but that's neither here nor there.

woah woah woah.... I'm not rolehunting, scrafty don't tell us your role or hint it if you have one.

Well, a lady doesn't kiss and tell, darling.

I am very curious about some of the less-vocal participants however. There are still a few folks we've heard nary a peep from.

Swamped

Banned
The fuck is this? There is a lot of defense for others in this post. Where did that come from?

Really? A lot? I'm assuming you're referring to me telling Splinter not to harass people? I'm saying let Scrafty play the way she wants, and let go of that stupid DR snafu regarding initials. And to stop annoying the mod lol. I guess that post came across as too serious.

Why? Just because she is a new player? I don't agree, if it turns out she is our best Lynch option, we shouldn't take "she is a new player" into account.

Several people brought this up but I'm not quoting them all on my phone. I just want to say I disagree with this. I can think of at least 5 people who probably won't return to our community because they were lynched/killed D1. And that's just no fun. That's why I'm asking Mafia refrain from killing her (but if she is Mafia...). D2 is a whole other story.

Well, I'll give you this much credit: I'm honestly not sure whether you're attempting reverse-psychology or just messing with everyone, but your lack of defense intrigues me nonetheless.

UNVOTE

Just so that we don't risk ending this soireé early. But honey, don't think I'm taking my eye off of you.

If I'm suspicous, you should keep your vote on me. Besides, what am i supposed to defend against? RNG and my sins from a previous life? How am i supposed to do that?

I will say it's a relief to not have to pretend town any more. Analyzing every single one of my posts before posting them in DR was really mentally draining lol.

Sorian

Banned
I'm not feeling Swamped's posts yet so I'm just waiting for more from her. I have someone else in mind if she starts feeling less suspicious but I don't want to divert attention yet.

Swamped

Banned
Good afternoon, Swamped, how may I be of assistance? Love the new avatar, btw.

Thanks! When i go home I'll give you a list of players id like your opinion on.

I will do you a venom and get my revenge on the organization that killed my.... wait that's a different game. There's nothing about that post that reads right to me, there are elements that feel forced and bringing up starsketch is super weird and feels like she's trying to communicate something to someone.

You're really grasping here. Like you're trying to find the perfect lynch bandwagon to hide behind. Like, you're not even asking me to defend myself. I'm merely referencing behavior from previous games in my post. I guess i should have been more clear.

roytheone

I may sound like a dick now, but I think new players should not get any kind of extra protection during day 1. They should be a possible lynch candidate, just as much as me or you. Does it suck if she gets lynched day 1 in her first game? Absolutely, but it is part of the game. Of course, specifically targeting her because she is a new player is a different story, but I doubt anyone here will do that.

Sorian

Banned
I may sound like a dick now, but I think new players should not get any kind of extra protection during day 1. They should be a possible lynch candidate, just as much as me or you. Does it suck if she gets lynched day 1 in her first game? Absolutely, but it is part of the game. Of course, specifically targeting her because she is a new player is a different story, but I doubt anyone here will do that.

Agreed with all of this. If someone is scummy, you vote for them (unless you are mafia then you pretend someone is scummy and vote for them). Mafia is an aggressive affair and everyone will always have a first game and during that first game, it's always possible you get screwed out day 1. I agree that it sucks but it's the nature of the beast, it handicaps a portion of the game when we start guarding people on day 1 for being new and it's even been used as a defense to help a scum player stay alive when they should have/could have died by day 1 vote.

Swamped

Banned

Agreed with all of this. If someone is scummy, you vote for them (unless you are mafia then you pretend someone is scummy and vote for them). Mafia is an aggressive affair and everyone will always have a first game and during that first game, it's always possible you get screwed out day 1. I agree that it sucks but it's the nature of the beast, it handicaps a portion of the game when we start guarding people on day 1 for being new and it's even been used as a defense to help a scum player stay alive when they should have/could have died by day 1 vote.

I guess we can agree to disagree. If she starts acting scummy i will vote for her D2, but not today. This might be controversial, but I say we give new players a chance to get used to the battlefield, regardless of what side they're on. It just doesn't sit right with me that there are players who won't come back because we were overly aggressive with them.

If that player really sticks out, sure. But remember that it could just be some weird newbie-thingy. I would always give them the benefit of the doubt, if it is nothing really significant. I can't imagine many more frustrating things (in terms of mafia games) than getting mislynched on your very first dayphase (Heck, I would have been salty as fuck if Despair killed me in my first Nightphase post-sub). So yeah, I may way too friendly and empathic for that world (or maybe just for that game, lol), but that's my opinion.

Swamped, so that three (or two) names in your post only were kind of comments on the previous posts? You should make this clearer and not just be name-dropping...

Coppanuva

I guess we can agree to disagree. If she starts acting scummy i will vote for her D2, but not today. This might be controversial, but I say we give new players a chance to get used to the battlefield, regardless of what side they're on. It just doesn't sit right with me that there are players who won't come back because we were overly aggressive with them.

Fair enough, I'd like to move past this discussion for the time being (or rather move this to the general mafia topic), since I don't feel us debating the validity of D1 lynches on new players is getting us any closer to winning THIS game.

Swamped, you have a bunch of pressure put on you right out of the gate but you haven't done much to argue against it. You put out some suggestions to people about how to behave, and then talked about this whole D1 lynching business. I'm awaiting your questions for RetroMG tonight, but right now your lack of defense or any game related talking points isn't helping you much in my eyes.

roytheone

Good morning

200w.gif

Notice how I didn't post again for a while despite showing activity? GAFia is slipping.

Seems there's a good old session of pressuring one person right now. Hello, Swamped.

Sorian

Banned
I'm going to go through what's been said in more detail once I'm on my desktop. I've just skimmed through so far.

I'm still expecting to hear more from you here so I'm not forgetting but I want to move on to what I found to be more scummy if only more slightly than the response you gave and how you've tried to defend yourself so far.

UNVOTE

I also want to say that I am pretty sad I didn't get to be scum this game :(

This was super scummy to me. It reads as someone trying to plant seeds of doubt unconsciously and I really didn't like it at the time but then Swamped pointed out the second thing you did that I didn't like.

You're really grasping here. Like you're trying to find the perfect lynch bandwagon to hide behind. Like, you're not even asking me to defend myself. I'm merely referencing behavior from previous games in my post. I guess i should have been more clear.

You jumped on Swamped really quick at the first sign of anything weird, which is fine but I felt like I kept having to poke you for answers. Usually you are more forthcoming with info. That being said, I feel like I am more comfortable with this vote at the moment.

VOTE: squidyj

Swamped

Banned
Fair enough, I'd like to move past this discussion for the time being (or rather move this to the general mafia topic), since I don't feel us debating the validity of D1 lynches on new players is getting us any closer to winning THIS game.

Agreed, although I would like to her StarSketch's thoughts on the matter too. Her response might be quite telling, or at least help us get a better grasp on how she reads.

Swamped, you have a bunch of pressure put on you right out of the gate but you haven't done much to argue against it. You put out some suggestions to people about how to behave, and then talked about this whole D1 lynching business. I'm awaiting your questions for RetroMG tonight, but right now your lack of defense or any game related talking points isn't helping you much in my eyes

The first four votes for me were literally RNG or revenge from DR. Full role-claiming aside, how am I supposed to defend against that? I already made a post saying this. I even said I was Town but nobody noticed I guess. People are reading far too much into this post I made. I feel like I know Splinter from the DR game so I was just giving him a hard time about teasing certain people. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but I guess people didn't really get it... There were only two important takeaways from that post:

1. My unwillingness to vote for StarSketch D1 (although I would like to hear more from her)
2. My vote for Retro
3. Awaiting TB's response to my question.

I understand that this is D1, so you need something to latch on to and overanalyze. Which is fine, but really there is no weird bread-crumbing double meaning to the names in my post. I just feel like I know all those people, so sorry for acting overly familiar with them.

Actually, the reactions to my post were very interesting.

Okay here we go

Top Town:
StarSketch - she's clean

Top Scum
Swamped - what the fuck are you doing?

Curious how Squidy is certain that StarSketch is Town. She has made a total of 2 posts, and I think only 1 in the actual game. Hardly enough to get a read on her. So why is Squijy so sure of this?

Also, I'm still not satisfied with Sqidy's vote on me. He's not even asking me to defend myself. He just votes and says he thinks I'm scum from one post. Something isn't right. Almost like he was trying to find an excuse to hop on to the coolest bangwagon.

Swamped, so that three (or two) names in your post only were kind of comments on the previous posts? You should make this clearer and not just be name-dropping...

Yes, this is correct! I even quoted Splinter's post before that! If people inferred that I was trying to influence Splinter's vote in some way then that is wrong. I was merely joking with him.

Thanks! When i go home I'll give you a list of players id like your opinion on.

Well, it's not fair for me to just give you a list without me giving my opinions in return. But here are some people that I feel I'd like to know more about, and if you or others want to chime in, fantastic (these are the mafia buddies I was going to rat out btw lol)

Ourobolus - he seemed to be around when I made my 'name dropping' post (he made a terrible joke about lynching the jailer D1 lol), but doesn't seem to have any reaction to it, feels like he's actively taking a step back and letting things run their course? Maybe he doesn't care what this Swamped vs Squgy vs Sorian vs Coppa thing is?

Matt Attack - joins a bandwagon on TB, most of his posts are about how D1 happens, nothing too substantial. There are many others like him so far, just using him as an example.

Squijy - I think I've made my thoughts clear so far. I will likely change my vote to him depending on his response to me.

roytheone - I just don't know how to read this guy, someone help?

Ourobolus

Banned
Ourobolus - he seemed to be around when I made my 'name dropping' post (he made a terrible joke about lynching the jailer D1 lol), but doesn't seem to have any reaction to it, feels like he's actively taking a step back and letting things run their course? Maybe he doesn't care what this Swamped vs Squgy vs Sorian vs Coppa thing is?

I had a game to finish up :p

I agree, squidy's been acting weird. I think there are some logical explanations for that, but I don't feel "squidy is scum" is one of them. Not right now, anyway.

I don't have much else to say right now. Well, I do, but nothing I'd like to say in public at this juncture. Playing solo is rough.

I'll continue to hang back until I see something worth commenting on. I'll vote for someone by day's end, but now is not the time.

Swamped

Banned
I had a game to finish up :p

EXCUSES EXCUSES (Congrats to the Electorate!)

it's true that I'm always looking for the hottest bangwagon ;0 I cannot lie about that.

Ooooops...that's really embarrassing lol...

I agree, squidy's been acting weird. I think there are some logical explanations for that, but I don't feel "squidy is scum" is one of them. Not right now, anyway.

I don't have much else to say right now. Well, I do, but nothing I'd like to say in public at this juncture. Playing solo is rough.

I'll continue to hang back until I see something worth commenting on. I'll vote for someone by day's end, but now is not the time.

I mean, this is a game about talking. Don't be shy! We're all going to make mistakes about our theories and reads D1.

squidyj

I'm just saying I've got a good feeling about StarSketch, and the most you can glean from that is that we're probably not scum together, the unsolicited high praise read on a player who's play I wouldn't even know would be pretty fucking stupid if she's a scum teammate of mine. So either I'm scum putting out a real statement using the certainty of my perfect knowledge, or neither of us is scum and I'm actually just good at getting reads, or she's scum and I am bad at reads.

Swamped and Sorian want to talk about me hopping on a bandwagon, fuck off with that noise. Swamped's the only one that's done anything suspicious and I didn't like the tone she set in her post and how it interacted with the votes she already had. so fuck it I voted on someone I thought was scum, and that's the right thing to do no matter how many votes they have.

But this can't exonerate me because if I was scum do you really think I'd be dumb enough to jump ship on a bandwagon vote AFTER being called out for it? I'm not into the suicidal bullshit (except that one target game) look to Ouro for that, apparently.

*Splinter

I'm just saying I've got a good feeling about StarSketch, and the most you can glean from that is that we're probably not scum together, the unsolicited high praise read on a player who's play I wouldn't even know would be pretty fucking stupid if she's a scum teammate of mine. So either I'm scum putting out a real statement using the certainty of my perfect knowledge, or neither of us is scum and I'm actually just good at getting reads, or she's scum and I am bad at reads.

Swamped and Sorian want to talk about me hopping on a bandwagon, fuck off with that noise. Swamped's the only one that's done anything suspicious and I didn't like the tone she set in her post and how it interacted with the votes she already had. so fuck it I voted on someone I thought was scum, and that's the right thing to do no matter how many votes they have.

But this can't exonerate me because if I was scum do you really think I'd be dumb enough to jump ship on a bandwagon vote AFTER being called out for it? I'm not into the suicidal bullshit (except that one target game) look to Ouro for that, apparently.
Eh, scumbuddy CzarTim did the same thing for me on my first day, and he's usually good at Mafia. Plus the whole "that's too obvious to be scum!" is an obviously flawed argument, WIFOM I think

Ourobolus

Banned

Hey, you don't argue with the wheel of destiny.

squidyj

Eh, scumbuddy CzarTim did the same thing for me on my first day, and he's usually good at Mafia. Plus the whole "that's too obvious to be scum!" is an obviously flawed argument, WIFOM I think

Thats interesting, you're coming in to rebutt an argument I made as obviously flawed. not merely flawed but in fact obviously.
If the argument is so obviously flawed what do you think about me because I made it?

*Splinter

Thats interesting, you're coming in to rebutt an argument I made as obviously flawed. not merely flawed but in fact obviously.
If the argument is so obviously flawed what do you think about me because I made it?
Some combination of:

a) Not smart
b) Not paying attention
c) Not Town
d) All of the above

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Some interesting discussion going on right now, nothing is really screaming at me at the moment though.

I think I'll leave my vote as is for now to keep some pressure on Swamped as I'm not convinced enough to switch. That being said, I can definitely see myself switching later today.

Sorian

Banned

I had a second reason for thinking you were scummy shit, check again.

I'm also gonna be real, I'm super jealous of your super duper read skills if you can get a 100% green check on a player who has posted once? maybe twice?

squidyj

I had a second reason for thinking you were scummy shit, check again.

I'm also gonna be real, I'm super jealous of your super duper read skills if you can get a 100% green check on a player who has posted once? maybe twice?

I don't think that's real. I think that's sarcasm. You can't fool me sorian.

Top Bottom