• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Reserves All of Its Initial Nintendo Switch Allocation

Everywhere in Eurozone is 329 Euro. There was one Belgian or Dutch site asking 309 Euro on Friday but they adapted fast.

On top of that Zelda is 69 Euro.

Bol.com
Really glad I got in fast, though I guess I could deal with the additional 20 bucks.

Switch seems to be sold out everywhere over here at the moment.

MK Deluxe has a fixed release date and it's most probably already finished but delayed to space out the releases. Anything else is free play. Spring might end up beginning of June, Summer is more than often September for Nintendo. Having 1 game in April, 1 in June and 1 in September might be slightly better than Wii U's launch, but that would be a very low bar to jump over. Anyhow, we'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying their lineup is amazing or anything (and their third party situation continues to frighten me, honestly). I'm just saying it's a fair bit better than Wii U, early on. But I definitely hope more is announced for 2017 and please Nintendo, figure out that account system. That's the one thing that continues to keep me awake at night!

I feel like referencing "this forum" when talking about an event that occurred over a decade ago is pretty silly. I get that you were there, but many of us weren't and many of the people that were there are gone.

Fair enough. Let me put it another way: the hardcore gaming community is often wrong in determining what will be a success, as well as what determines success. It is wrong about Nintendo more than most other companies. Not just underestimating, but overestimating...few thought the 3DS would flop, or flop as quickly as it did, prior to the price drop and better games coming out.

shandy706

There was a slickdeals thread on their forum where the scalpers was freaking when launch units weren't selling on Ebay. Like they were having existential crisises. Fascinating to watch in real time

Oh man, is it possible to dig this up?!

I'd love to see this.

Impressively fast, but I wonder how many Gamestop was alloted?

I still stand by the price not being the largest issue. Moreso accessory costs and launch-period lineup. I don't doubt that the Switch could sell through its initial shipment, but worry how it fares afterwards.

I'd pay $400 at launch if you told me I also got Mario with BOTW on day one, a 500 GB HD, and it's half the price for the accessories. Hell, keep the paltry third party 'efforts' by EA and Bethesda, and give me indie support.

Price of the console is definitely not the issue with the Switch.

guit3457

Everywhere in Eurozone is 329 Euro. There was one Belgian or Dutch site asking 309 Euro on Friday but they adapted fast.

On top of that Zelda is 69 Euro.

Medimarkt in Spain is 319€ and Amazon.es has just price matched the grey model.

Zelda is 59€ in Xtralife and MediaMarkt or 64€ in Game

flozuki

I don't know, but if you find it cheaper, let me know.

If you are from Germany you can risk it at order and www.conrad.de. Sent the item to the store, enter the voucher "SALE17" and if you want you can also get cash back via shoop. Without Cashback the price is 284,96 Euros, with Cashback 272,96 Euros.

I doubt they will honor their price but who knows :) (I will try it)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
at launch and immediately after

Mmmh...I apologise, then. By reading quickly and considering the discussion between you and OrbitalBeard, I thought you both were talking about Switch's support more broadly, not just for the first few months. Yeah, the first batch of third party games is a bit anemic, even if there's a distinct lack of release dates right now, which makes things much more problematic. Again, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Mmmh...I apologise, then. By reading quickly and considering the discussion between you and OrbitalBeard, I thought you both were talking about Switch's support more broadly, not just for the first few months. Yeah, the first batch of third party games is a bit anemic, even if there's a distinct lack of release dates right now, which makes things much more problematic. Again, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

This was some kind of a side point because the Japanese developers came into the discussion and I remembered that I was surprised by the lack of them at launch. I honestly thought Nintendo would court them more actively.

I mean we discussed so much how the western devs didn't got the devkits nor the indies but we knew from WSJ that Japanese developers got devkits way sooner already.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I keep seeing you say this. Are you doing a bit or are you serious? Genuinely curious. Funny either way.

Can you elaborate?

one of the hardest parts about getting pre order and day 1 pick up in CY F1 is that foot traffic to retailers is low. It's just not a prime shopper behavior to head into gamestops in january, february, march, etc. people are tired from holiday shopping, expanded audiences have no reason to buy gifts, window shopping is done, etc.

it's why so few big games launch in this window, typically, and if they do, they have to leverage the foot traffic in say, december, to ramp up pre orders.

it was just an offhanded comment that Switch's pre order program has been driving a lot of people into stores to get pre orders, and if you're launching Q1, and planned ahead, you could leverage that foot traffic with increased in-store signage and Rep programs to help drive your own awareness and pre orders

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just got a call from my Gamestop telling me they're going to do a midnight Switch launch.

Fuck yes!

Top Bottom