• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 The Brodeo) - 05/28/08

fallout

Great podcast, guys. A few things:
  1. Shawn, wasn't there some stuff you were embargoed on last week? I think STALKER: Clear Sky and DoW2? I know you were all rather tired, but I was kind of hoping to hear about it, especially with the potential LARPing segue.
  2. I fucking love maps. Always have. I'm especially interested in historical ones and seeing how they change based on who created them and how the nation states evolved over the years. I enjoy fictional maps as well. Even when re-reading LOTR, I still pull up the map, just to kind of re-visualize the distances and stuff.
  3. I was kind of hoping that you guys were lying and Ryan was actually there ... you know, as a reversal of the joke from last week.

skip

re: DOW2 -- we're putting together a special GFW Radio for Friday to support the 1UP Yours classic episode we're republishing in Garnett and Shane's absence.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are a lot of good comics out there, I think.
I don't know if Shawn has read Y: The Last Man, but I think that's definitely a highlight. Although, I think it's part of a trend of straight men writing lesbians in comic book form that I'm starting to find annoying.

I think Adrian Tomine is excellent, but that's probably more because he touches on issues of race rather than anything else.

There's Andi Watson and surprisingly, I like some of the new "Minx" line of books that DC started putting out. Vertigo for tweens, basically.

Terry Moore just started doing a new series called Echo. I'm waiting for the trade, but it's Terry Moore.

Even though he hates superheroes, I wonder if Shawn has considered Invincible. I've never read it, but since it's a Kirkman book and everyone on GFW seems to love Walking Dead...

voltron

skip said:
re: DOW2 -- we're putting together a special GFW Radio for Friday to support the 1UP Yours classic episode we're republishing in Garnett and Shane's absence.

1upY classic episode you say? Let me guess - it involves both Luke Smith and NPD discussion?

skip

voltron said:
1upY classic episode you say? Let me guess - it involves both Luke Smith and NPD discussion?

figpool.jpg

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
skip said:
the epic fig pool discussion of 2006.

Nice. That was the first podcast i believe i had ever heard. Figured i would check out podcasts for the e3 coverage, been listening to 1up yours / fan ever since.

Can't wait!

JoeMartin

I foresee many a Luke Smith moment on this 1UPY classics. Many laughs were had while Luke was on the show, however limited and troll-esque his contributions to actual discussions were.

EDIT: And if I read that correctly as in that there will be two GFW's in a single week, HELL FUCKING YES.

subrock

luke got me into podcasts. I dont think I have consistently listened to anything episodic quite as much as I have listened to the 1up podcasts. such a good dynamic on 1UY back in the day.

Rlan

I'm surprised you went with creating the 'classic' episode considering it would take far more work than putting 4 guys in a room :lol

voltron

Speaking of board games: Who here has played Balderdash?

I fucking love that game.

Opus Angelorum said:
I made the banner, Assaulted Nuts gave me the reference material.

its inspired from Assaulted's bumper sticker though right?

eznark

Banned
anthonys convention story made me really want a Zulu Wars multiplayer game. A Crysis mod or something would be freaking great. One team of like 20 Zulus with indigenous weapons against 4 or 5 British (even better if the numbers could be increased).

Basically, just recreate the Battle of Rorke's Drift. That would be freaking fantastic.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fallout-NL said:
I'm sure you can add the occasional 'huh?', 'what?' or 'what the hell?' yourself.
What of the hell yeahs?

skip said:
Any chance of a site preview also?

Hopefully I'll get to finish listening to the 'cast today. Sad to hear about the lack of Clear Sky though. I really liked the direction that the discussion went in when it kicked up last week, but then again I do love me some Stalker.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
It was only a few podcasts ago you were talking to Scooter and Dana about GameTap, now they're gone :(

Do you know where they'll end up, Jeff?

voltron

skip said:
we're putting together a special GFW Radio for Friday to support the 1UP Yours classic episode we're republishing in Garnett and Shane's absence.

I mustve missed that earlier... what exactly is the GFW segment going to consist of? Old material too I assume?

hiryu

By the way US Guys can be purchased at Amazon for 4.99. That's 25 bucks off. I'm reading it right now and it's pretty good.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
McBacon said:
It was only a few podcasts ago you were talking to Scooter and Dana about GameTap, now they're gone :(

Do you know where they'll end up, Jeff?

I don't, but they are both total pros, as are some of the other folks over there too, so I am sure they will land on their feet. Heck, I'd hire 'em back at Ziff in a minute, if I could.

eznark

Banned
JeffGreen said:
I don't, but they are both total pros, as are some of the other folks over there too, so I am sure they will land on their feet. Heck, I'd hire 'em back at Ziff in a minute, if I could.

If they want to start a development company to create my awesome Rorke's Drift game, they can steal the idea. I would have no problem with it.

JeffGreen said:

Pretty ironic, considering the subject matter of that podcast.

fallout

Oh, yes ... on the subject of board games, you can play a round of Carcassonne in 30-45 minutes. A strategic board game doesn't need to be 4 hours. Also, here's an excellent site for board game reviews:

www.boardgamegeek.com

skip said:
Awesome. Thanks, skip.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoy boardgames. I picked up Tide of Iron a little while ago, which is a scenario, squad based WWII game. It uses modular boards so you can customize your own scenarios. The average game probably takes a couple hours. Very nicely put together game, I would to see it in the new 1up section Jeff mentioned.

Myself and a couple friends have a "Geekapalooza" every few months, which consists of a day of board and videogaming. Our wives feel very sad for us, but its good times!

fallout said:
Oh, yes ... on the subject of board games, you can play a round of Carcassonne in 30-45 minutes. A strategic board game doesn't need to be 4 hours. Awesome. Thanks, skip.

One of the interesting things about board games versus computer games-especially when dealing with wargaming (hexes, etc.) is that board games often have simpler, more elegant rules and designs than their computer game counterparts since players have to do all of their own bookkeeping. I always thought that anyone making a good turn based strategy game could learn a lot from sitting down and seeing why some board games, even those with somewhat complicated rulesets, are often picked up quickly by newcomers.

As for board gaming on the computer, I have to pimp this site:

http://www.hexwar.com/

Totally awesome service.

fallout

Fragamemnon said:
One of the interesting things about board games versus computer games-especially when dealing with wargaming (hexes, etc.) is that board games often have simpler, more elegant rules and designs than their computer game counterparts since players have to do all of their own bookkeeping. I always thought that anyone making a good turn based strategy game could learn a lot from sitting down and seeing why some board games, even those with somewhat complicated rulesets, are often picked up quickly by newcomers.
Heh, you haven't by any chance read about Soren Johnson & co's foray into card game creation, have you? I picked up Civilization Chronicles for 20 bucks a few months ago (I already own them all, but come on ... 20 bucks) and it came with a booklet that had this piece about how back when he was with Firaxis, at a GDC, they were at a board/card game creation seminar. It was pretty interesting to see how the game changed from where they started and their reasoning for it. They definitely saw that the complexity involved (from trying to make a direct card game analog of Civ) wasn't working and that streamlining and simplifying to the core elements was necessary to make it balanced and entertaining.

You might even be able to find the article online somewhere.

skip said:
the epic fig pool discussion of 2006.

I have listened to that podcast like 4 times by now. It was also revealed that Luke is the son of Garnett.

and this GFW was great. I agree with everything Shawn said about his feeling towards MMORPGs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to hearing more of Jeffs comments on Civ Rev. If it continues to have more positive coverage I'm definitely going to pick it up.

fallout said:
Heh, you haven't by any chance read about Soren Johnson & co's foray into card game creation, have you? I picked up Civilization Chronicles for 20 bucks a few months ago (I already own them all, but come on ... 20 bucks) and it came with a booklet that had this piece about how back when he was with Firaxis, at a GDC, they were at a board/card game creation seminar. It was pretty interesting to see how the game changed from where they started and their reasoning for it. They definitely saw that the complexity involved (from trying to make a direct card game analog of Civ) wasn't working and that streamlining and simplifying to the core elements was necessary to make it balanced and entertaining.

Soren was on the Gamers With Jobs podcast a little while ago, and, among other things, he talked about this some. I've always wondered why it was so easy for me (and others) to learn new wargames when I was younger than it was to learn new computer wargames now that I'm in my thirties, and I attributed it to the whole age/gosu factor. The comments about board games on that podcast made me think that the clamp on complexity in board games due to bookeeping wasn't a bad thing to keep in your head when making video games, too. I know popular, accessible games like Armageddon Empires benefit greatly from have simple, understandable upkeep actions-there's a lesson to be learned there!

Top Bottom