• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 The Brodeo) - 05/28/08

SCHUEY F1 said:
Looking forward to hearing more of Jeffs comments on Civ Rev. If it continues to have more positive coverage I'm definitely going to pick it up.

The people from the super hardcore PC Civilization game community who have played the game have darn near universally praised CivRev. Make no mistake-there is a serious strategy game under the hood there, despite running on the console platform.

graventy

The book Shawn recommends is currently bargain priced at Amazon, $4.99. Looking forward to checking it out. Us Guys, by Charlie LeDuff.

GFW-2.jpg

Anthony restored for great justice.

Thomper

Bweh. Bol.com (the Dutch Amazon) has US Guys for 13 euro, about 20 dollars. And it's the paperback edition. Will probably still buy it, but it does make me jealous.

Any other good book recommendations so I have some stuff to read during the summer? Can be either fiction or non-fiction, doesn't matter, as long as it's interesting to read.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Fragamemnon said:
The people from the super hardcore PC Civilization game community who have played the game have darn near universally praised CivRev. Make no mistake-there is a serious strategy game under the hood there, despite running on the console platform.

Nice. I have to check the release date. I have read the 6th of June and July 18th and as well. Hope its the 6th.

Also I like the added feature of weekly map challenges.

SCHUEY F1 said:
Nice. I have to check the release date. I have read the 6th of June and July 18th and as well. Hope its the 6th.

June is for PAL territories, July is for North America. Pretty sure the June date includes AU/NZ but not 100% sure on that.

Also I like the added feature of weekly map challenges.

Map challenges are the best way to enjoy "multiplayer" Civ on the PC. It's a long running community feature that I'm glad to see in CivRev.

fallout

Fragamemnon said:
Soren was on the Gamers With Jobs podcast a little while ago, and, among other things, he talked about this some. I've always wondered why it was so easy for me (and others) to learn new wargames when I was younger than it was to learn new computer wargames now that I'm in my thirties, and I attributed it to the whole age/gosu factor. The comments about board games on that podcast made me think that the clamp on complexity in board games due to bookeeping wasn't a bad thing to keep in your head when making video games, too. I know popular, accessible games like Armageddon Empires benefit greatly from have simple, understandable upkeep actions-there's a lesson to be learned there!
I completely agree. A game doesn't have to be insanely complex to be deep or entertaining.

There was one board game we used to play called Warrior Knights (the 2006 remake, for those in-the-know) that really seemed insanely complex at a glance. However, as we played it, we realized that what they had done was thrown in a large quantity of easy-to-understand elements. Each "turn", you would accomplish many things, making lots of small decisions, so the game would continue at a really fast pace, but would take quite a long time because of everything that those decisions contributed to.

Opus Angelorum said:
Sweet. I have now updated the first post with the Nurgled banner. :D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Fragamemnon said:
June is for PAL territories, July is for North America. Pretty sure the June date includes AU/NZ but not 100% sure on that.

Oh well, that will give me some time to try to finish some of my other games in my library. July and August will be good months: Civ Rev, Soul Calibre IV, Brothers in Arms: HH, and Too Human.

Mr.City

I'm surprised that Shawn didn't come up with a nickname for Anthony related to his other job. He could of least called him Dr. Feel Good

JoeMartin

skip said:
we just got an embargo shifted on us -- DOW2 special podcast has been canceled. sorry. :/

This was lined up to be the perfect week in entertainment. Lost Finale. New BSG. Double shot of GFW.

My hopes and dreams, ruined.

skip said:
we just got an embargo shifted on us -- DOW2 special podcast has been canceled. sorry. :/

:(

I REALLY want to see Relic start talking about the guts of the changes from DOW to DOW2, what things are being carried over from COH to DOW2, and especially what they have in mind for DOW2's multiplayer modes. The PC Gamer spread was lacking in detail for any mutliplayer specifics.

Nizz

Great show again this week. :D But then again I sound like a broken record cause I say the same thing week after week ;) I wonder when Jeff will have that old co-worker of theirs (Robert Coffee...Kofi?) on the show?

Thomper

Suburban Cowboy said:
why not to the podcast-less tuesday? Unless you are telling us Up Yours wont be on next friday either o_O
Because an embargo means the publisher of a game doesn't want you to talk about their game until they let you. I'm sure Skip would love to record it as soon as possible, but they're not allowed to talk publicly about Dawn of War 2 until THQ says they can.

Mr.City

Shawn's been pretty quiet about CoH lately. Will discussion about DoW2 make him start talking about it again? I ask because I've been trying to get into CoH again.

Salazar

Thomper said:
Any other good book recommendations so I have some stuff to read during the summer? Can be either fiction or non-fiction, doesn't matter, as long as it's interesting to read.

Rubicon, by Tom Holland. The best narrative history of Rome I've read, written by a bloke who does insane vampire / gothic fiction on the side. Amazing book.

The Mortdecai Trilogy, by Kyril Bonfiglioli. PG Wodehouse mixed with Flashman mixed with Raymond Chandler. Totally fucking awesome comic crime fiction about a rogue art dealer.

These are good.

Iain Sinclair's 'London Orbital' would also be well suited to GFW guys. The stuff about housing estates built from radioactive stone, plague pits, psychological disorders that basically involve starting walking in random directions for no reason until your feet fall apart. Crazy book.

Mindlog

skip said:

dickery

__
Microsoft is fucking terrible at promoting Surface btw. A surface enabled tabletop with boardgame support would be outstanding on quite a few levels, even for those conventions. All the convenience of XBLA games and still the opportunity to gather people around and drink merrily and whatnot for face-to-face gaming when time permits.

and don't even get me started on the ENORMOUS opportunity they are missing to promote Surface in Korea. It actually verges on disgusting. Seriously, if anyone from MS reads this I know a million different ways to exploit MTT that aren't being done correctly atm.

meh a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. I have a similar aversion to comics ('graphic novels') that Shawn has to MMOs. I don't play MMOs either though. If I did it'd be EvE, but I don't like the actual gameplay in that game and I'm not a big CCP fan. The way the world is structured and PvP rules are excellent.

blub

:lol
I didn't really notice it before until someone said something about it, but Ryan has a Dr. Strangelove quality about him in that pic. Not a bad thing for an evil genius.

LCfiner

KennyL said:
I like feature type articles but hating reading. Maybe do a podcast where writers read a couple of articles a week?

Jesus... has it come to this?

how about selecting all the text in the article, copying it into a blank document, and having your computer's voice synthesis module speak it to you?

EDIT: OK, it may have been a silly suggestion, but it kinda works... kinda. here's 45 seconds of Jeff Green as our Robotic Overlord.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ti1bc9sbc9x

KennyL said:
I like feature type articles but hating reading. Maybe do a podcast where writers read a couple of articles a week?

Agreed. Could the other writers come to my house and feed me/rub my feet as I listen? Bring TP in case I have to go doody please.

I'm not really this lazy, but damn the poster I quoted sure is.

witness

skip said:

Well shit, but there is a new Legendary Thread up though, and for those who care about what happened to Gametap this week Dana is on the show (though they don't discuss it) and so is Anthony making his first appearance.

Skip you're back into WoW now!? Badass, glad to have you back! :D

KennyL

LCfiner said:

how about selecting all the text in the article, copying it into a blank document, and having your computer's voice synthesis module speak it to you?

EDIT: OK, it may have been a silly suggestion, but it kinda works... kinda. here's 45 seconds of Jeff Green as our Robotic Overlord.

See, that's not too bad at all even with Mr. Robo voice. Now just imagine Shawn reading that in Ralphie's voice.

To you haters, so the entirety of the internet contains just that one article? There're tons and tons of articles from all over the web posted everyday that I'm interested but don't have time to read. I'd love to be able to listen to them while I work.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
KennyL said:

The decline of Western civilization in a nutshell.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Christ, that's even worse. If you can't be fucked reading a 250 word story...time to give up.

Barrett2

KennyL said:

:lol :lol It's not Tolstoy, its only a short article!

Poop-socker confirmed.

HamPster PamPster said:
I think the banner looks MUCH better with Anthony on the right, which puts Jeff in the middle and it looks like they are all turning to him while he faces the world head on

Very inspiring

Opus Angelorum said:
GFW-2.jpg

Anthony restored for great justice.

Beautiful... it brings tears of joy to my eyes

fallout

ICallItFutile said:
Too bad Shawn isn't here. I'm sure he'd get a laugh from this.
"Currently seeking script writers and animators."

... that could really be the stage for some epic griefing. Lots of effort involved, but the payoff would be magnificent.

KennyL

alistairw said:
Christ, that's even worse. If you can't be fucked reading a 250 word story...time to give up.

Try listening to some of them. Might change your mind.

lawblob said:
:lol :lol It's not Tolstoy, its only a short article!

Poop-socker confirmed.

me said:
To you haters, so the entirety of the internet contains just that one article? There're tons and tons of articles from all over the web posted everyday that I'm interested but don't have time to read. I'd love to be able to listen to them while I work.

Sorry, wish I was a poopsocker so I have time to consume all the words coming out of the web.

subrock

LCfiner said:

what synthesizer is that?

Doytch

eznark said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, 1up has another nice article about gaming featuring Shawn, Jeff, Crispin and Jen Tsao talking about competition in gaming:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3167995

Great article. I read Age of Propaganda a couple of months ago, and the granfalloons Shawn talked about were exactly what I thought of when I was reading that chapter. :lol

Top Bottom