• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girls - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fucking hate Marnie. But it seems like the supporting cast will actually get some meaningful screen time this time around with Hannah gone. The more ray the better

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I thought the episode was alright. I didn't and still don't really expect Hannah to go for some reason.

That guy was really up in Marnie's butt. :D

Good episode to setup everything for the season.

Marnie doing everything humanly possible to be someone I absolutely loathe.

Who thought playing at a place where children are around was a good idea?

I thought the episode was alright. I didn't and still don't really expect Hannah to go for some reason.

That guy was really up in Marnie's butt. :D

I just happened across a gif of this.

Very illuminating, but still not enough to get me to watch. I gave up after last season, just can't bring myself to watch this season unless it gets a very positive response from TVGAF...

"I had a couple of days talking to wardrobe and makeup to get ready to rig the thing that I wore for the ass motorboating. It was an engineering achievement! I would manufacture it if more than one person a year needed it. [Laughs] It was so elaborate—it involved Spanx that we cut away and glued down and involved menstrual pads and two of those weird thongs. I've had to do scenes like this twice now." - Allison Williams

terrene

Banned
Gawker has it mashed up with the sounds of Peter Pan Live.

f5gcr9vlwepcepmne967.jpg

Empty

marnie is such a sad person. her vapid music mirrors her personality and the "jazzy brunch" stuff was good look at that. rest of the episode was okay but just a lot of reintroduction and setup.

Marnie is such a replusive person personality wise. A perpetual pity party. Hopefully that speech Elijah gave was a signal for others trying to get her to suck it up and realize the world's not made for her (the speech kinda had similar themes with the 'unconscionable' speech where she says she's not special)

Serious question, actors often do crazy things to their bodies for roles, make up, stunts, weird diets, etc.

Why do they go through extreme lengths to no do something relatively harmless like sticking your face in a butt for a few seconds

I want to like Marnie (for no other reason than because she is cute) but man her behaviour has been straight disgusting for a while now. Hope she has some real growth soon but that might be asking a bit much from Dunham.

I want to like Marnie (for no other reason than because she is cute) but man her behaviour has been straight disgusting for a while now. Hope she has some real growth soon but that might be asking a bit much from Dunham.

Shosh has gotten some growth and well as adam.

And I forgot a bit of season 3 but does Ray still think there is stuff between him and Marnie? I forgot if they broke up or not

I think that's the whole point of her character.

She WANTS to be liked for her looks/appearances and not for actual ability/talent.

Her ego is too fragile relative to the things she wants/claims to want in life.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the premiere was pretty solid. The show recovered quite a bit last year after the disastrous second season and I thought the premiere did a good job of continuing that trend. I'm very interested to see how the show balances the Hannah/Iowa arc when all of the other characters are stuck back in NY. At any rate, I expect next week's episode will focus exclusively on Hannah - to properly introduce us to all the new characters and to give that storyline proper time to breathe before they start juggling two locations.

Also, a quick moderation note - let's do our best to keep this thread on track and focused on the show. If you'd like to discuss Lena Dunham's other work (e.g. her memoir), please use another thread.

Thanks for that! I was going to put something like that in the OP but totally forgot.

Why doesn't this OP have a mean subtitle Vert? Huh??

Favoritism.

>:)

Rookje

What did you guys think about Jessa's speech to Hannah about how she should of stayed in NYC and "made it work" like the rest of them. And how she should of broken up with Adam. It made some sense to me.

What did you guys think about Jessa's speech to Hannah about how she should of stayed in NYC and "made it work" like the rest of them. And how she should of broken up with Adam. It made some sense to me.

Selfishness after she got fired. She had something in NYC and it got taken, now her friend is leaving too.

Back to drugs I guess...

GQman2121

Banned
Just watched the premiere.

They really do a good job of making Hannah as contemptible as possible right from the jump. The look on her parents faces says it all as she spews her played out self rhetoric. It's stomach churning as a viewer.

They're obviously very aware that she's a detestable person, so I guess that's what they're going for. I don't understand it, but that's her show in a nutshell.

I've thought Hannah should get away from Adam since the episode they introduced him. Especially so after his rape scene.

Ohh thread for this! Kept seeing it advertised on Sky so went and checked it out, Just finished S1 and it was cracking me the fuck up.
Seems im in for some roller coaster ride of quality from this point on haha

Mrmartel

Banned
It was already renewed, and keep in mind that HBO is more interested in the cumulative viewing over the first week.

I'm unfamiliar with how many viewers a typical HBO show gets, but how many viewers at the bare minimum do they need before they axe shows? Or do the producers have pet series that they keep alive as long as possible and make up the dough from other series?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm unfamiliar with how many viewers a typical HBO show gets, but how many viewers at the bare minimum do they need before they axe shows? Or do the producers have pet series that they keep alive as long as possible and make up the dough from other series?

There isn't a concrete number that we know of. Even if a show is low rated by their metrics (HBO only cares about how many people watch cumulatively across all of their platforms - live, DVR, HBO Go, DVD - so it isn't too important how many people watch live, even though high live ratings are a big plus) HBO might still keep it if it's a critical darling, wins awards, generates buzz, or raises the profile of the channel in some meaningful way.

Girls averages a couple million viewers per episode when all is said and done, plus it generates tons of buzz and discussion, critics rave about it, and it lends a unique air to HBO's brand, so they'll most likely keep it around for as long as Lena and Co. want.

Also keep in mind that HBO is very selective when it comes to picking up new shows and then takes forever to develop them - they can't/won't just cancel something if they don't have something to replace it with. Plus, most of their other half hours are in much shakier standing than Girls and I expect that at least one will be cancelled within the next few weeks.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Lena Dunham was on bill Simmons podcast.

A few nuggets

- Adam Driver hasn't watched the show past the first ep
- Marnie's BF quit the show rather abruptly so they had to rewrite much of season 3
- She's really proud of season 4

New episode tonight:
Triggering

Hannah discovers she can get more for her money in Iowa; during a video chat, Hannah prods Marnie for information about Adam; Hannah warns her fellow workshop writers that her piece might trigger some intense emotions.

kyser73

I would totally eat Marnie's butt. Despite the fact that she's shallow and fragile, out of the 4 she's the most sane.

Shosh is the most interesting, but I couldn't go there after Everyone Loves Ray.

Jessa actually reminds me of a mate's psycho ex.

I still don't have words to describe the depths of Hannah's self-absorption. Narcissistic doesn't even begin to describe it.

Hopefully my wife will get annoyed with it halfway through the season and give up the way we did with S3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom