• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

glee Season 5 |OT| High School, Drama & Taking Songs From The American Idol Song List

Status
Not open for further replies.

EulaCapra

First off, if even Kitty is wondering why she's nominated for Prom Queen ("But I'm a Sophomore..."), it begs the question what kind of loopy high school this is if even the school nurse could basically be a 19-20 year old college student.

And did the event in this episode suddenly de-bitchify" Tina and why did that character change happen anyway? So many questions Ryan. What are you doing with these characters?
Tina changed from nice to diva after calling out Rachel during season 3 for always getting the solos and Tina never getting to shine or to say no more than 1-2 lines of dialogue but the two had a duet so naturally Rachel gave her the blessing to be "Main Female Soloist" for next year. Cut to Tina's senior year and in the very first episode where Tina/Blaine/Brittany/Unique compete to be the "New Rachel," Artie crowns Blaine even though nice girl Marley entered the fray anyway. And it becomes a recurring gag that when Tina finds an opening to shine, Santana just happens to be in town and gets asked first ("She doesn't even go here!"). She got the main solo for Sectionals though even if she was forced to sing Gangnam Style. She also won that Diva week though... and then literally nothing happened to anyone story-wise for the next 9 episodes.

So yeah, I can understand the Diva attitude and new confidence for her senior year that's not exactly going according to plan. Even though some people are totally turned off from her meanness this year, at least her problem of being upstaged is one of the more relateable problems Glee has left for characters. I kinda teared up when she started crying drenched in slushie and did a surrendered speech.

Joni

Also next weeks episode will be the last until after a long break because the actors "need to grieve" because Ryan Murphy is doing an episode on a fictional character's death that mirrors the actor's real life death so the actors have to go through two times the grief and emotional abuse for a simple ratings ploy. Good job Ryan.
Yet your original idea was letting them pretend he was still alive so Leah Michele actually has to go through it until the show ends for two more years. You don't think that is emotional abuse? Ripping open a wound like that after two years...

It's too soon, but maybe they can bring him back as a love interest for Rachel eventually. I mean, girl can't be single forever.
I don't even need them to be a couple, just translate that BFF vibe to the screen.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
My major gripe with this show is the fact that the Glee kids are supposedly the bottom of the footchain and extremely unpopular yet four of them were nominated for king/queen and crowds act like they're superstars whenever they perform

Zuly

My major gripe with this show is the fact that the Glee kids are supposedly the bottom of the footchain and extremely unpopular yet four of them were nominated for king/queen and crowds act like they're superstars whenever they perform

I don't think they're supposed to be at the bottom of the footchain anymore guessing from how the Cheerios felt threatened by their "social status" at the school.

netguy503

Yet your original idea was letting them pretend he was still alive so Leah Michele actually has to go through it until the show ends for two more years. You don't think that is emotional abuse? Ripping open a wound like that after two years...

Ok. so Finn's show legacy as a character is he didn't know what to do with his life, finds out things about his father that devastate him, joins the army only to fail at that and feel disgraced, feels like all his friend are graduating and leaving him behind, FINALLY finds out what he's good at, what makes him happy, and goes after it and then....DIES. That's the story you want for this character/show? Cool story bro.

And maybe he wouldn't be back in the finale episode. Maybe he would just phone call Will that he is interning as a teacher's aid at so in so school (this show is only lasting two more years so he wouldn't even be done with his normal college work yet) and you can see Will smile or something and Rachel boards a plane to be with him. I don't know? Have you ever heard the phrase "time heals all wounds"!? Because it's not just an expression. It actually works. I know from my own personal loss. I think if I were Lea I'd like Ryan to tell me "hey we are going to have to revisit this in two years at the close of the show to end Finn's storyline, is that ok with you" then Ryan to tell me "ok guys, this real guy just died, you have two months to grieve tops, and then we are filming a tribute episode that feature's this guy's characters death when the real life guy died so you have TWO people to mourn. It will be great because it is so close to this guys passing your emotions will be raw and real and this will be a instant ratings grabber as it will be coming out when the media is still talking about him. This move is genius."

I dunno. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. This move feels wrong to me. That trailer did nothing for me. Whats done is done, the episode is already filmed but this feels like a bad move that doesn't need to be done. They showed him off at college and saying he wanted to go to school to be a teacher. His story was done and wrapped up so nicely. I liked the original idea they had over the summer of just taking an episode dedicated to Cory where it would just be cast and crew in a series of interviews reflecting on him as an actor throughout the episode. That would of been the best way to both honor him as a person and him as a character and what impact he has on Glee IMHO. I don't know why they just didn't leave the two separate.

But, now that this is done and filmed, I HOPE Ryan changed his mind of not explaining Finn's cause of death in the episode. If he doesn't, I'm going to be MAD. You started down a road you didn't need to go Ryan so either go all in or not at all. Also I'm GLAD Rachel didn't get Funny Girl over people feeling bad for her over Finn's death as I feared as that would of made me angry as well.

Joni

Ok. so Finn's show legacy as a character is he didn't know what to do with his life, finds out things about his father that devastate him, joins the army only to fail at that and feel disgraced, feels like all his friend are graduating and leaving him behind, FINALLY finds out what he's good at, what makes him happy, and goes after it and then....DIES. That's the story you want for this character/show? Cool story bro.
Life sucks. Not everyone gets a perfect ending. Finn is just another part of the drama for Rachel, the main character. Finn was already demoted to that role around season 3-4.

Have you ever heard the phrase "time heals all wounds"!? .
Yes. That is wrong. (Here is an actual scientific study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12816343 or the opinion of a psychologist) They'd be essentially ripping open the wound by having her pretend she'll end up happily with a guy played by her dead boyfriend. Look at all the shows that involved two cast members getting it on both on and off the show until they break up outside of the show how it affects the show. And that is just a break-up, not a death.

Wazzy

Banned
Really sad that
Dianna and Heather won't be in the episode, especially Dianna.

It's about to start and while I dislike this show, I'm hoping this episode is well done/tactful. I'm expecting myself to cry a lot. :(

netguy503

Really sad that
Dianna and Heather won't be in the episode, especially Dianna.

It's about to start and while I dislike this show, I'm hoping this episode is well done/tactful. I'm expecting myself to cry a lot. :(

Some of the cast didn't even want to do this episode. I agree with them. LOL

There version of "season of love" made me cry as it sounded like a cat dying in parts. Thanks Ryan Murphy for ruining the song that started my love for musical theater. :(

Wazzy

Banned
Some of the cast didn't even want to do this episode. I agree with them. LOL

There version of "season of love" made me cry as it sounded like a cat dying in parts. Thanks Ryan Murphy for ruining the song that started my love for musical theater. :(

Really? Who?

I heard
Dianna
wasn't asked to come back.

Zero315

Banned
Not really, this episode is more a ratings ploy than anything.

*watches the ratings be awful tomorrow*

Nah, this episode had to happen, especially given the path they set that character on. They were so clearly grooming him to take over the club when Matthew Morrison leaves, which I expected to happen at the end of this season. It would've been really weird to just write the character out or mention him in passing every year or so.

netguy503

Nah, this episode had to happen, especially given the path they set that character on. They were so clearly grooming him to take over the club when Matthew Morrison leaves, which I expected to happen at the end of this season. It would've been really weird to just write the character out or mention him in passing every year or so.

Every year? The show has 2 years left. Thats two mentions. I think they can survive since they hadnt mentioned him for five episodes prior. I'm on the west coast so i dont get this episode yet but i hope they explain that one because that will be "wtf" to me. You havent mentioned this character for 5 episodes but now he's suddenly so important to you...why?

And you thought he was going to take after will after this season....as a teacher!? You know he hadn't been through college yet. And you need additional years of college than a normal person to be a teacher. I mean, this is TV, but THAT would of been unrealistic. They had the perfect exit story before his death and they never really had to mention him again (like they HAD been doing and the show was working well). This episode didnt have to happen.

Koomaster

Every year? The show has 2 years left. Thats two mentions. I think they can survive since they hadnt mentioned him for five episodes prior. I'm on the west coast so i dont get this episode yet but i hope they explain that one because that will be "wtf" to me. You havent mentioned this character for 5 episodes but now he's suddenly so important to you...why?

And you thought he was going to take after will after this season....as a teacher!? You know he hadn't been through college yet. And you need additional years of college than a normal person to be a teacher. I mean, this is TV, but THAT would of been unrealistic. They had the perfect exit story before his death and they never really had to mention him again (like they HAD been doing and the show was working well). This episode didnt have to happen.
Do you have to be a full fledged teacher to run a glee club? It's not as if it's a class that kids are graded on. He could still take over the glee club and attend college to become an actual teacher at the school.

netguy503

I was gonna say Rachel did. If it's Will then that's incredibly awkward.

And Will hated Finn when Finn left last season. Do they please explain this? Or is it all swept under the rug like Ryder's catfish (do they address this in this episode?). Ignoring issues is bad, lazy storytelling Ryan Murphy and your viewers notice it.

netguy503

Do you have to be a full fledged teacher to run a glee club? It's not as if it's a class that kids are graded on. He could still take over the glee club and attend college to become an actual teacher at the school.

Yes. It's a school program so you have to be a teacher to run the program. And running a program and doing college? Do you know how stressful that would be. You guys are reaching here.

Yes. It's a school program so you have to be a teacher to run the program. And running a program and doing college? Do you know how stressful that would be. You guys are reaching here.

I hope you know plenty of young teachers actually do this. You are reaching with a lot of your complaints here and really need to relax. I think this tribute episode was necessary, and you honestly don't need to crap on it every few posts with nitpicky complaints.

EDIT: My bad, to be fair I meant teachers do a masters program + teach at the same time, but that is even more stressful to be honest.

netguy503

I hope you know plenty of young teachers actually do this. You are reaching with a lot of your complaints here and really need to relax. I think this tribute episode was necessary, and you honestly don't need to crap on it every few posts with nitpicky complaints.

EDIT: My bad, to be fair I meant teachers do a masters program + teach at the same time, but that is even more stressful to be honest.

So you basically just agreed with me. Thank you. He wouldn't reach his masters for four years. This show is only running for half that. Thus he would be busy and away for the rest of the series. And as you said even that wouldnt be likely or advisable because of the stress. Thank you for agreeing with me.

Wazzy

Banned
I...can't say I thought that was well done. :/

It wasn't horrible or anything but too many moments felt incredibly awkward. Will semi-blaming Puck for taking the jacket when he actually did, Sue being a bitch then suddenly being nice(wait till next episode when she's a total bitch again!) Santana screaming when running away(I liked the scene, just not the scream) and then finally too many songs.

Koomaster

My roommate in college had a part time job as a kindergarten teacher's assistant while he was taking classes. It's kind of expected you work in the field while you are doing the courses, it counts as part of your grade.

And it's not as if glee club is stressful; just go there an hour or two a day and he could have done what he always did. Will hasn't been all that instrumental in the glee club's success. :p

Also I knew Will took that damn jacket. I think the lesson for this episode is grief makes people irrational.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I really don't know why people are being so nitpicky about this show. There has to be a certain suspension of disbelief, otherwise Sue would have been in jail by now, or at least sued into bankruptcy and never allowed to work near children.

So you basically just agreed with me. Thank you. He wouldn't reach his masters for four years. This show is only running for half that. Thus he would be busy and away for the rest of the series. And as you said even that wouldnt be likely or advisable because of the stress. Thank you for agreeing with me.

No I am not agreeing with you. You are nitpicking right now. You are talking about a show where somehow, a high school is able to compile world class singers and dancers on an annual basis. You are talking about a show where they go into random modes of dance and everyone knows what the choreography is, and you are complaining about Finn running a high school program as a sub (which is possible)? He decides to leave and become a teacher so he could run the club officially, and you have an issue with this?

You are way too focused on the story when the Glee cast and writers decided to use this as a moment to grieve Cory and his legacy on the show. If that's what they decided, let it be. It's a tough situation for everyone there.

Wazzy

Banned
I really don't know why people are being so nitpicky about this show. There has to be a certain suspension of disbelief, otherwise Sue would have been in jail by now, or at least sued into bankruptcy and never allowed to work near children.

It's not a matter of suspending your disbelief. I tried multiple times to do it with the show but one moment they want me to suspend my disbelief and then the next I'm expected to take everything seriously with all their PSA's.

netguy503

I...can't say I thought that was well done. :/

It wasn't horrible or anything but too many moments felt incredibly awkward. Will semi-blaming Puck for taking the jacket when he actually did, Sue being a bitch then suddenly being nice(wait till next episode when she's a total bitch again!) Santana screaming when running away(I liked the scene, just not the scream) and then finally too many songs.

I still don't understand why Sue is a bitch again. She just got back into the school. She loves teaching and hated leaving. She should be grateful.

I haven't seen the episode yet ( West Coast) but the only songs I heard I liked were Santana's, Amber Riley, and Lea's. Did they do seasons of love better than it sounded?

I'm glad to hear another person that didn't like the episode. :)

Zero315

Banned

Oh come on, they would've done it the same way Kurt got that internship at the magazine and Sue became principal, because reasons. And the fact that they hadn't mentioned Finn for several episodes means absolutely nothing. Murphy has stated that Rachel and Finn were the endgame for the show.

Anyway, I thought the episode was well done, especially keeping the newbies to pretty much background noise. Now I can go back to ignoring everything that happens at the high school.

netguy503

It's not a matter of suspending your disbelief. I tried multiple times to do it with the show but one moment they want me to suspend my disbelief and then the next I'm expected to take everything seriously with all their PSA's.

Wazzy gets me. This show was about fun (glee). That's why the first and second season are regarded by many as it's best and why ratings have declined now. The fun and joy has been lost by having these PSA episodes scattered in the seasons. Yes, it's real highschool life but you are confusing your audience about your main mission statement for this series-which should be about "glee" and joy. The series premier had none of this PSA crap and it was the highest rated episode in this series. People where excited to wait all summer to see the episode again and the start of the season. Want to guess why? I feel the same about this episode I feel about the gun shooting episode last season. It doesn't belong in this "universe". It feels false to me.

Koomaster

I'm glad to hear another person that didn't like the episode. :)
For what it's worth, I didn't like it either. Whole thing felt off, like this was the best they could put together. I don't blame the cast or crew, I know it's hard to lose a friend like that so suddenly. But this was a bad tribute episode. The only thing that rang true was Mercedes singing the song Finn sang when he thought he was gonna be a father and Rachel's singing as well. I also didn't mind Seasons of Love; but I think it's hard to ruin that song no matter what you do.

I thought the timing of the episode was weird. Apparently the people from out of town stayed for a month to sing about Finn? Kurt I can understand since he would have to be there for his family (although a month might be excessive). But Santana and Mercedes? Why did this whole tribute week for the glee club have to happen so far out from the funeral?

That also sets up the problem that Sue said she let the locker memorial stay up for a week. So nobody started the memorial till 3 weeks after he died? Was the whole school on vacation for 3 weeks?

On top of that, we also don't know how Finn died. The episode starts off with Kurt saying that people will want to talk about it but he doesn't so fuck you audience basically. Um, yeah people kind of want to know how a healthy 19 y/o character died.

Anyway like I said, I think the episode's lesson was grief makes people irrational. Burt took that lamp that reminded him of the time he yelled at Finn (wonderful memory there). Puck stole that tree by dragging it out of the ground with his motorcycle. Tina randomly bitching how wearing black was making her look goth again - it's been a month, wear another color! People were tagging a dumpster and setting up a locker memorial that took up half of the hallway (hell yes it was a fire hazard Santana!) and Will stole Finn's jacket which was so strange and off the wall I knew the way the episode was going that of course he was the one who would've taken it. Odd as hell behavior from everyone.

Wazzy

Banned
Another thing I found uncomfortable was the fact they kept hinting that Finn died of a drug overdose. Like, the whole point is to not focus on how he died and yet they keep dropping little hints, ones that connect to how he actually died in real life?

I agree with a lot you have to say however I do think the episode was necessary. My problem happens to be with how it was done. It could have had it's place in this universe but they ruined it with too many odd scenes. Then again, if the writers had just stayed consistent this show would have been over by now and everyone would have gotten happy endings.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I didn't really have feelings about the show either way, although "human" Sue is always terrible because you know that she'll go back to being a cartoon villain whenever the show comes back.

I almost wish they'd just did an out of character tribute episode and then just said something happened to him in universe, especially if they weren't really going to work his death into the show in any meaningful way.

elry09

Neo Member
I liked Kurts monologue at the start of the episode and I liked Santana's smack down on Sue, but that's about it. It was like the West Wing episode after 9-11, it just felt off

taizuke

Haven't watched glee since i stopped at the beginning of season 4. But, my sis reminded me today was Corey's tribute so i watched it.

Thought it was a beautiful episode. Cried nearly through the whole thing.

Ashhong

Another thing I found uncomfortable was the fact they kept hinting that Finn died of a drug overdose. Like, the whole point is to not focus on how he died and yet they keep dropping little hints, ones that connect to how he actually died in real life?

I didn't get those hints at all...

Disappointed that they cut out the scene of Will and Rachel hugging in the Glee room while crying. I was expecting to cry pretty hard at that scene. It was in the previews...why take that out?!

And netguy, give it a rest godfuckingdamn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom