• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

glee Season 5 |OT| High School, Drama & Taking Songs From The American Idol Song List

Status
Not open for further replies.

netguy503

I almost wish they'd just did an out of character tribute episode and then just said something happened to him in universe, especially if they weren't really going to work his death into the show in any meaningful way.

BINGO! I said this too on the first page. This episode just wasn't that good. Ryan Murphy what did you do? :(

Can't wait to hear Joni's impressions though.

Mesousa

Banned
LOL did Ryan run over your dog or something netguy?

Show was decent enough. Will taking the jacket gave me weird vibes though.

netguy503

Will taking the jacket gave me weird vibes though.

As well as him pitting the choir room against each other in their grief by not admitting he took it right there and then. Weird and out of character.

I think my favorite scene was at the Hummel house. Pretty powerful.

I still think they could of had Will touch on how he was really upset that the last few times he saw Finn he was angry at him for the Emma thing (even refusing to hug Finn when he wanted to squash there beef) and that is why he was refusing to get emotional as he had quilt over that. I think that could of been a real powerful thing as it's true you never know when your last moment is with someone. But the show never addressed that storyline and I was like wtf?

Also, as another poster said, having this 3 weeks after the event was weird and is a decision I'm wondering why they made.

Also, as another poster said, having this 3 weeks after the event was weird and is a decision I'm wondering why they made.

I'd assume it was probably to spare the cast from having to shoot a bunch of scenes where they had to act like they just found out Finn died.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd assume it was probably to spare the cast from having to shoot a bunch of scenes where they had to act like they just found out Finn died.
While I don't mind the concept of a tribute episode, doing this half-measure where the actors are supposed to be their characters while also doing a tribute for a character when they actually want to do a tribute for the actor just makes it all needlessly complicated.

I understand the worst thing that could have happened is if it was a regular episode and then Kurt or someone gets a phone call, the show suddenly goes on mute, and then the camera zooms in on Kurt's phone as it falls on the ground, before we then cut to each of the cast discovering the news... but I think there's a way that they could have just explained that, in universe, Finn was dead, while just doing a tribute episode for Montieth himself.

Sort of like what The West Wing did when they basically did a 9/11 episode.

netguy503

While I don't mind the concept of a tribute episode, doing this half-measure where the actors are supposed to be their characters while also doing a tribute for a character when they actually want to do a tribute for the actor just makes it all needlessly complicated.

I understand the worst thing that could have happened is if it was a regular episode and then Kurt or someone gets a phone call, the show suddenly goes on mute, and then the camera zooms in on Kurt's phone as it falls on the ground, before we then cut to each of the cast discovering the news... but I think there's a way that they could have just explained that, in universe, Finn was dead, while just doing a tribute episode for Montieth himself.

Sort of like what The West Wing did when they basically did a 9/11 episode.

I like this idea :)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The promo for the Katy vs Gaga episode
http://i.minus.com/iybWGWhcVGO76.gif
KuGsj.gif

Servbot24

Banned
Didn't realize this season started already :|

Really don't care about anyone in New Directions at all :/

Artie and whatsername? There aren't enough 4th wall jokes they can do to make up for this.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
It was a nice episode
I was kind of expecting Rachel not to turn up given her absence in the first half. Kudos to her, and the rest of the cast. Must have been really hard to film

I did find the fact that Puck was drinking all the time a bit weird, but I think they were in college together? Can't really remember

I do like how the episode mainly focused on the original Glee group though, it's how it should have been

netguy503

LOL I love how you generalize and call half the thread monsters for not crying over a FICTIONAL character? If they did a special episode about the REAL actor and how he touched the cast and crew sure I'd cry. But having a PSA (thats not really a PSA because they never explain the cause of death so kinda defeat the purpose they are going for...so a pseudo PSA, I guess?) episode and a half-baked script? No, I'm not going to cry.

Also, I didn't like how they advertised the soundtrack/songs from the episode at the end. Can we at least get by once without having to deal with that? I'll give the show one thing though- I'm sure that is more Fox's decision than Ryan's. Still kind of tasteless.

Ashhong

LOL I love how you generalize and call half the thread monsters for not crying over a FICTIONAL character? If they did a special episode about the REAL actor and how he touched the cast and crew sure I'd cry. But having a PSA (thats not really a PSA because they never explain the cause of death so kinda defeat the purpose they are going for...so a pseudo PSA, I guess?) episode and a half-baked script? No, I'm not going to cry.

Also, I didn't like how they advertised the soundtrack/songs from the episode at the end. Can we at least get by once without having to deal with that? I'll give the show one thing though- I'm sure that is more Fox's decision than Ryan's. Still kind of tasteless.

Really? You really think people are crying over the Finn? Think again dude. People are crying because the episode worked as a tribute to both Finn AND Cory. Every tear in the show is a real tear for Cory, and that is why I cried.

KmA

What if Finn's character was killed off before Cory's death and an episode like this was made, do you think people would be as moved? The reason so many people are so emotional about this episode is because it works as a tribute to the actor and the character, despite the off-putting script. Nobody here is simply crying over a fictional character.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What if Finn's character was killed off before Cory's death and an episode like this was made, do you think people would be as moved? The reason so many people are so emotional about this episode is because it works as a tribute to the actor and the character, despite the off-putting script. Nobody here is simply crying over a fictional character.
The thing is, if it was just the actors paying tribute to Cory, then you could presumably have had the entire original cast appear in the episode, even if they apparently all hate each other or something.

Joni

How is it they got every one back but Quinn?!?!?
Apparantly, they didn't want her back.

The thing is, if it was just the actors paying tribute to Cory, then you could presumably have had the entire original cast appear in the episode, even if they apparently all hate each other or something.
If the rumor is true and it are really Lea Michele and Ryan Murphy that blocked her return, there is no scenario in which she could come back. Any decision on this episode would have to pass by the two of them. The rumor is kinda strange because they used to be BFFs.

Nohar

... I didn't like this episode. I get it, it was an tribute to Cory, but everything just felt... off. Really off. The very concept of this episode is unbearable to me. Seeing his fake parents crying over his death, while I can't imagine the pain his real parents, siblings and friends are going through? It just felt incredibly out of place. I understand they needed to write off his character, but... I'm really not sure how I feel about this. It just feels wrong to me.

So... I guess my thoughts are with the family and Lea Michelle, but this episode was... not okay. At least, it wasn't for me.

Also: congratulations on making Will look even more like a jerk.

Joni

Murphy has confirmed season 6 will be the last, and that he'll be presenting the season 6 end game to the execs next week.

netguy503

Um, it has been cancelled. Next season will be it's last. What else do u call that?

And im a asshat when im not the only one who thought the funeral episode shouldn't/didn't need to be done and that the content of the episode its self was weird(will taking finn's jacket and having his students fight over it in their moment of grief et al). Ok.

Zero315

Banned
Murphy has confirmed season 6 will be the last, and that he'll be presenting the season 6 end game to the execs next week.

Make one of the season 6 episodes a backdoor pilot for Rachel, Kurt and Santana in NY, have them show up during the finale with some reasoning for them leaving Ohio for good. Refocus the spin-off for less music (we really don't need an entire album per episode) and less top 40. Make it into the show that Smash tried to be.

Edit:
Um, it has been cancelled. Next season will be it's last. What else do u call that?

Ending != cancelled, by that metric Breaking Bad, Lost, Mad Men etc. were cancelled too.

netguy503

Even if they were "bowing out gracefully" do you really think they would of got a 7th season from fox with the ratings they are getting?

I would like to see how a show like smash would do on fox though, that would be interesting.

Joni

Make one of the season 6 episodes a backdoor pilot for Rachel, Kurt and Santana in NY, have them show up during the finale with some reasoning for them leaving Ohio for good. Refocus the spin-off for less music (we really don't need an entire album per episode) and less top 40. Make it into the show that Smash tried to be.
Honestly, just ditch the entire Glee club for season 6. They'll end up at Nationals at the end of the season, what could they possiblly do in season 6 with them? Aside from New Rachel they're not that awesome singers and none of the new cast can keep the show interesting. Finish the Glee Club arc in season 5. Season 6 will have Blaine in New York too so every important character will be there.

I would like to see how a show like smash would do on fox though, that would be interesting.
Dead after 4 episodes.

Zero315

Banned
Even if they were "bowing out gracefully" do you really think they would of got a 7th season from fox with the ratings they are getting?

Probably, it isn't a ratings monster like it used to be, they're not downright awful. Plus I'd imagine the music sales still make them quite a bit of money. The album from the tribute episode is sitting at number 16 on iTunes right now, and I think the soundtrack from The Beatles episodes made it into the top 40.

netguy503

Honestly, just ditch the entire Glee club for season 6. They'll end up at Nationals at the end of the season, what could they possiblly do in season 6 with them? Aside from New Rachel they're not that awesome singers and none of the new cast can keep the show interesting. Finish the Glee Club arc in season 5. Season 6 will have Blaine in New York too so every important character will be there.

Dead after 4 episodes.

Before cory died ryan was talking this season they would have nationals right before mid season break and when they came back they would do something they have never done on glee before(speculation was a time jump). Lea even had seen the idea and was teasing it. I hope we still get that or are told what it was. I was excited to see it.

and I think jacob artist is a good singer as well as marly.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Was there not an episode last night?

Matt_

Oh, a three week delay of the Katy and Gaga episode, so it will be four days before Gaga's album is released. Get that promo gags

have they given a reason? or is there some sport thing going on?

Joni

Oh, a three week delay of the Katy and Gaga episode, so it will be four days before Gaga's album is released. Get that promo gags

have they given a reason? or is there some sport thing going on?

Cory dying kinda delayed their writing and filming.

“We’re going to take a long writers’ hiatus after that episode to refigure the season and continue to take care of the cast and crew and work on setting things up in Cory’s honor — scholarships, what have you — because that’s something we’re dedicated to doing,” he adds.

Matt_

Cory dying kinda delayed their writing and filming.

“We’re going to take a long writers’ hiatus after that episode to refigure the season and continue to take care of the cast and crew and work on setting things up in Cory’s honor — scholarships, what have you — because that’s something we’re dedicated to doing,” he adds.

Oh, you wern't joking when you said the break was to regroup the plot. I just thought you were being shady

It's good they're taking time to sort stuff out and not just rushing things

Matt_

Glee might be changing itself.

I hope they do it.

YES
Would make the show so much better. Nobody got time for Mckinley shit. Even if they did the New York stuff as a spin off show would be better

netguy503

Glee might be changing itself.

I hope they do it.

I told you Ryan Murphy was planning a season split before Cory even died. He wanted Nationals to be the last episode before winter break and the ending of the school year (we are still in the same year as last season as the show stand right now, remember?) and then after the winter hiatus we would come back to something "Glee has never done before". Ryan didn't tell us what though.

But that makes sense though and that goes along with why there will be no Glee Christmas album this year which was another news story during this break (because two chirstmas's in one year would be strange, no?).

But I thought this thread was bumped (and I'm surprised Joni didn't post this because he/she seems like more of a Glee fan than me):

Glee's Alex Newell gets a record deal:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earshot/glees-alex-newell-signs-atlantic-651549

Pretty awesome coming from a reality show you didn't even win, to being on a show for two years and being more popular than the guy who did win, and now a signed artist. Good for him. And that pic in the article is the definition of fierce.

RE: The rumor...

While I enjoy the NYC stuff way more, I don't want to dump over half the cast just so we can shift there permanently. I actually like most of the new kids, (Marley is eh, but the rest are pretty cool) and I like Sam, Blaine and Tina. (Artie can get lost.) The teachers have run their course, so I'm fine with them leaving too, but I know they'd find some insane way to shoehorn Sue into NYC.

netguy503

RE: The rumor...

While I enjoy the NYC stuff way more, I don't want to dump over half the cast just so we can shift there permanently. I actually like most of the new kids, (Marley is eh, but the rest are pretty cool) and I like Sam, Blaine and Tina. (Artie can get lost.) The teachers have run their course, so I'm fine with them leaving too, but I know they'd find some insane way to shoehorn Sue into NYC.

Sam, Blaine, Tina, and Artie are graduating when the school year ends (December?) while the new kids Unique might even leave the show because of his record deal now. So you only have Marley, Jake, and the Glee project guy. Not that compelling of TV IMHO. If they have to leave at least they got 1.5- 2 years on a popular show and got exposure for their music, right? Can't be too mad about that. That's more than most of us will ever get.

And this isn't really a rumor if Ryan Murphy is openly talking about it. :)

Joni

But I thought this thread was bumped (and I'm surprised Joni didn't post this because he/she seems like more of a Glee fan than me:.
I only read the show stuff. I honestly couldn't care less about the future of most of the actors.

Joni

Damn, that Adam Lambert song was fucking perfect. If they manage to keep Demi Lovato and Adam Lambert on, the full-time move to New York should be perfect. I also like how for Roar they almost stopped using the Lima version once the New York'ers started their version, including for the Lima part.

Damn, that Adam Lambert song was fucking perfect. If they manage to keep Demi Lovato and Adam Lambert on, the full-time move to New York should be perfect. I also like how for Roar they almost stopped using the Lima version once the New York'ers started their version, including for the Lima part.

i doubt demi would stay around. she may last as long as xfactor is on for the remainder of this season.

anyways. i ended up not watching because i went to shower so the only time i saw was the black girl on the cheerio wearing the yellow warning tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom