• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when GW1 originally came out, I literally hated that you couldn't jump. Drove me nuts.

Jira actually convinced me to go back and play GW1 again not too long before GW2 launched, and it was actually pretty fun. I remember the group instances being a blast.
Yeah, DoA was some hardcore stuff but a lot of fun with even a semi-decent group. Doesn't hurt that it basically funded my GWAMM title...
Thanks to Noisy Ninj4's excellent help, I finally finished Nightfall. <3
Anytime.
And in case EotN gets too hairy...
Dr-McNinja-Chainsaw-Nunchuks.jpg

My kingdom for a Shatterer statue
shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Shiokazu

omgidonteven DAT STATUE D:

btw... all hail megaservers! This afternoon i was in Orr, well, straits of devastation. i went on the northern part to reach my living story instance when i stumbled upon the golem canon event. I asked for help and as soon as i could see, we rallied a force strong enough to push the pact forward.

until this happened:

AfLnPxS.jpg

alliances and friends were made and it all ended in the doorsteps of lyssa, for a great final battle to today's tale.

lSpDaH6.jpg

rc30qWx.jpg

KUmg95P.jpg

Tc8SGWa.jpg

i had tons of fun today. this game is so dead.

*Miktar goes AFK...*

So, are many members of GAFwars going bad to Guild Wars 1 right now to get titles

I've been fussing around with GW1 for the last year or so, slowly going through it again to clean up a few basic HoM things. I played it a lot when it came out, but then all my friends stopped playing it and I lost interest since I find the combat incredibly unsatisfying. But since I own it, don't need to re-sub, no reason not to mess around with it again.

Hyun Sai

Hello Gaf, new Guild Wars 2 player here.

I don't know if there is still place in the guild, but just in case, here is my ID :

Hyun Sai.3879

------------------------------
I rolled a Charr elementalist , and I have a quick question, or perhaps a confirmation :

Even if it's very fun playing it, the class is APM heavy or I'm doing something wrong ? Always clicking, moving, switching between 4 stances, calculate spells cooldowns, to be somewhat decent in PVE... It's a bit overwhelming, so I only use Staff for now to get the hang of it.

Does it get better at the highest level, or I must get used to some intense fighting game combo training in the long run ?

Are all the classes like that, or I m very unlucky on the draw ?

Thanks !

Elementalist is generally considered the most "involved" next to Mesmer, because there is a lot to juggle if you want to be effective - like swapping attunements. Other classes are a bit easier, with Warrior being the most straightforward. Hang in there though, it'll get easier as you play. A lot of the stuff that seems overwhelming now, will become second nature.

But as you get stronger, higher level, you'll find you don't need to be *that* intense with your rotations and cooldowns, since unless you push yourself by doing highly specialized content, most of the game is pretty easy.

Levito

Banned
I've been fussing around with GW1 for the last year or so, slowly going through it again to clean up a few basic HoM things. I played it a lot when it came out, but then all my friends stopped playing it and I lost interest since I find the combat incredibly unsatisfying. But since I own it, don't need to re-sub, no reason not to mess around with it again.

Do you think it's worth going back to get the titles and whatnot? Or rather, just to experience the game again.

Do you think it's worth going back to get the titles and whatnot? Or rather, just to experience the game again.

Hmm, that really depends on how much you actually like the combat, deck-building and skill-collecting bits,. Guild Wars 1 is one of those games I can't recommend to anyone, other than say "try it and see if you like it". Cuz if you like it, yeah - it's great. But if you don't, well.

I know someone who actually threw his game discs in the trash after trying GW1.

GW1 is pretty easy once you have three mesmers, two ritualists, two necromancers, and a monk. I remember working on my second GWAMM with this set up and I just space-barred my way through everything. (Space-bar was auto-attack)

Jira

Holy shit that Chinese launch goes beyond ANYTHING I've ever seen any company do here in the west for any video game.

Holy shit that Chinese launch goes beyond ANYTHING I've ever seen any company do here in the west for any video game.

I dunno. I've seen some pretty ridiculous things. Vegas strip clubs and gambling on PR dime, Hollywood nights with restaurants and clubs dolled up in the theme of the game, I saw an abandoned factory turned into Rapture (inside and out) for the launch of BioShock 2, complete with working water pipes and such...

PR is a million dollar industry.

Shiokazu

does anyone remember what Skyrim PR did in Hollywood?

THEY INVITED PEOPLE THAT DIDNT EVEN KNEW WTF WAS SKYRIM

and everyone laughed at the fact.

If I have to think of some of the crazy PR stunts I've seen personally...

Call of Duty Experience 2011

There was even a full paintball course that was a complete recreation of the Scrapyard map. The damn thing ended with Dropkick Murphys and Kanye West concerts. I did not go.

Duke Nukem Forever

Vegas shenanigans for the launch of DNF. Yeah. The less I think back to this one, the better.

And this is the tame stuff. I really wish publishers would take half the money they spend on a single game's PR, and fund four more budget-priced games that experiment with non-mainstream ideas.

Atomski

Hit level 80 today.. on a character I started over 2 years ago when the game was first released.

wish I had some great story how that happened, but nah I just took a long ass break.

Now to figure out what to do.. uh now....

Shiokazu

Hit level 80 today.. on a character I started over 2 years ago when the game was first released.

wish I had some great story how that happened, but nah I just took a long ass break.

Now to figure out what to do.. uh now....

do you want to hang out in orr? after that i might even go on a naked karka wrestle ( im serious, i usually pick my guardian take her clothes off and kill some karkas, just because. )

Every time I get someone telling me "TERA is a better game than Guild Wars 2", I just show them this:

eamcLUU.jpg

Actual item from the real-money shop.

Granted, it's got nothing to do with gameplay, but it does show where their focus is :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Offseason Event #3.3 - Masters of ARAH Part II - Friday 5/16 at 9:30PM EDT

Back in the the breech we go... this time for the considerably easier Arah path 2. Have to start relatively late in the evening cause I've got dinner first, but hey it's the weekend. Come take part in another guild run of the game's toughest dungeon. Some advice:
  • Range, AOE damage, and reflection are very valuable throughout the whole dungeon.
  • The ability to stealth, grant swiftness to, or otherwise protect the party while moving is great, because there's a lot of opportunity (and near-necessity) for running past danger.
  • Potent or Powerful Potions of Undead Slaying are the drink of choice here.
  • A sub-boss that appear in every path, Giganticus Lupicus, is a true skill check. He has three phases, and I consider phase 2 of this fight to be one of the toughest, most demanding encounters in the game. It's not required at all, but if you're wary of your abilities, you may want to read up on his phases a little bit and how to prepare your build for the fight.
  • Path 2's hardest boss fight is an undead gunslinger named Alphard. He's tough, but can be handled quite well with reflects. Mesmer traited focus is a godsend here.
  • The storylines in play in the explorable paths here are a cut above those found in other dungeons. If at all interested in the lore of GW2 and especially various threads that connect back to GW1, it's worth paying attention to or at least reading the dialog from the cutscenes.
If you're worried about it, you can feel free to look up a walkthrough video or whatever prior to the dungeon, but you aren't expected to be coming in with any knowledge of the path.

Hope to see you there!

That reminds me. Does anyone want to do Arag story mode tonight? I need it to finish off the personal story on my ele and open up explorable on him.

swnny

Every time I get someone telling me "TERA is a better game than Guild Wars 2", I just show them this:

Actual item from the real-money shop.

Granted, it's got nothing to do with gameplay, but it does show where their focus is :p

Is TERA still alive? Im under the impression that they went with somehow bad F2P model just a year after the release and since then the game is bleeding players and its mostly a ghost town with some toxic people here and there. At least that's for the EU version, published by GameForge.

Just looking at the state of most MMORPGs released around GW2, you can really see how much better GW2 really is, as the only one going strong for 2 years now, and it was just now released in China.

Divinity vs Traveler

1g74s vs 6g20s per Superior Rune.

+18 to all stats vs +16 to all stats and +25% movement speed and +10% Boon Duration and Cond duration.

So for pure damage, you'd want Divinity, for damage+utility, Traveler.

Wow. Traveler used to be the cheap alternative to Divinity. What happened?

EDIT: Yeah, in one month, the price dropped from 9g to 1g. Where are all these Divinity runes coming from flooding the market?

Is TERA still alive?

The F2P version on Steam sure isn't:

1ELprzY.png

So I played a little bit of solo WvW yesterday with my Berserker sniper ranger. It went pretty well all things considered.

IT seems like no one really has an answer to the increased longbow range. I can hit people from out of retaliation distance especially if I'm on an elevated area.

Using sword/warhorn in the other hand for speed/fury and general get away (sword 2 is pretty decent for this but aiming the first part properly is still difficult for me).

Picking people off during heavy fights is pretty effective too.

Moondrop

Banned
Using sword/warhorn in the other hand for speed/fury and general get away (sword 2 is pretty decent for this but aiming the first part properly is still difficult for me).

For basic use of ranger sword 2, be sure to de-target enemies. This will ensure you leap straight backward. Then hit a reverse-direction keybind, press 2 again, and gtfo.

For advanced use of ranger sword 2, you take advantage that the initial leap is always relative to your target. So you switch targets and leap away at an unexpected angle to keep your primary target guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom