• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Endings Season 3 |OT| Oh snap, we're on Fridays now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Sinbrad is the best puppet since Franklin.

I would love to see a Sinbrad/Franklin puppet off. Ebony & Ebony vs. It Ain't Easy Being White or Brown.

"Yo momma so fat, she dead!"

Reading the AVClub comments made me realize... I think this show hit the internet fandom mark. I hope that translates into ratings (it won't, but let's hope!)

I love this show so much. Got into it last year early season 2 when I watched the season 1 episodes as well. As others have said, Sinbrad is the best puppet since Franklin. They somehow need to be together in something.

jb1234

Brad and Jane was fun but the Penny/Max storyline didn't work for me at all. There's a fine line with Max and when he's written this unlikable, I just want to shove him into traffic.

Alex/Dave was okay but she's pretty much carrying the two because the writers still haven't figured out how to make him funny.

ivysaur12

Banned
Brad and Jane was fun but the Penny/Max storyline didn't work for me at all. There's a fine line with Max and when he's written this unlikable, I just want to shove him into traffic.

Alex/Dave was okay but she's pretty much carrying the two because the writers still haven't figured out how to make him funny.

Wait, for real? I love Misery Max. A lot more than any other story this episode. And I think Dave is the most funny the more pathetic he is, or the lamer things he likes. It's a great niche for him.

mantidor

I think Dave's awkwardness is hilarious, but the cast is too big for them to be all good in the same short 20 minute episode. I remember him trying to be the cool guy of the group which was very funny.

Penny and Max story was a bit too out there, Penny was acting pretty annoying as well with the crusty bread and that stuff, (not to mention she did do the same thing to Max) it was ok but they felt too outlandish and unrealistic, specially because they are already established characters. It made me laugh more than once anyway, but yeah it somehow didn't fit that well.

jb1234

I think Dave's awkwardness is hilarious, but the cast is too big for them to be all good in the same short 20 minute episode. I remember him trying to be the cool guy of the group which was very funny.

Penny and Max story was a bit too out there, Penny was acting pretty annoying as well with the crusty bread and that stuff, (not to mention she did do the same thing to Max) it was ok but they felt too outlandish and unrealistic, specially because they are already established characters. It made me laugh more than once anyway, but yeah it somehow didn't fit that well.

Even in the hyper universe that the show inhabits, I found it impossible to believe that those two friends would treat each other that way. I also didn't find the story very funny (but I didn't laugh much at this episode in general).

Wait, for real? I love Misery Max. A lot more than any other story this episode.
Yeah, I liked their plot the best this episode. I'm not usually a big fan of physical comedy, but Penny's antics always seem to crack me up. (Really, this show in general has opened up a whole new world of physical comedy for me.)

Also, bring back Kent. Preferably in the bike shorts.

TripOpt55

So good to have this back. I loved Sinbrad and Brad secretly going to work made sense for him. Oh and naked Eliza Coupe is always good. Also her rant about the Heat was hilarious. Alex and Dave had some funny stuff too. I liked all the nicknames Dave was listing off like "Franklin and Caszh" and "Rizzoli and Isles and Caszh"... haha. The Max/Penny storyline was my least favorite, but it was still funny. Especially liked the reveal that Penny had done the same thing to him.

Brad and Jane are the best. The cumming joke was brilliant.

I literally thought about it every time jane said coming so hard.

Pilot was so good. Excellent episode that had me laughing from start to finish.

Favorite parts

- Brad in a suit, in a tub
- Naked Jane, hot damn
- First scene, base jumping proposal
- Dave and Alex scenes
- Sinbrad / Ebony and Ebony
- Jane's lines about Lebron and the Miami heat lol

Didn't like most of the Penny and Max scenes.

Can't wait for the next episode.

ivysaur12

Banned
You should give us some context for us the non tv-savvy people. How bad is that sigh?

A mildly annoying sigh, not one that spells doom. The show will get a 4th season of some form, I presume. It's in line with the network's expectations. Still frustrating.

LM4sure

Banned
Last night's episode was a pretty big disappointment. I was excited the show was coming back on, but it just wasn't that funny. A couple of funny moments, but definitely one of the worst episodes in its short history.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'd ask why most of the shows I like struggle so much in the ratings, but then I remember how dumb most of the country is.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'd ask why most of the shows I like struggle so much in the ratings, but then I remember how dumb most of the country is.

It's true -- 48% of the country is going to vote for Romney.

At the same time, it's the only (broadcast) comedy produced by ABC Studios or Sony TV that's even close to syndication. I think (hope) that if it stays somewhat consistent, it will get renewed. I don't know. Let's hope for stability.

I guess my only advice is to evangelize the crap out of the show and hopefully you strike a Nielsen family.

ivysaur12

Banned
Also, for those wondering, Happy Endings averaged a 1.8 at 10pm on Wednesdays and around a 1.6-1.7 at 10:30pm on Wednesdays during season 1. It's a long season.

Finally got around to watching this. I loved the episode but I thought the last half was way better than the beginning. Brad and Jane was easily the best story. Sinbrad, Brad lying about working, Jane's "come hard" joke, everything about their story was hilarious.

The Dave and Alex story was kind of awkward. Their "cas" joke got kind of stale and the best thing about their back and forth was Jane leaving them at the bar. I think having more of them in the beginning of the episode is what made the first half fall a little flat for me.

I love Max and Penny so any story they have together is good regardless.

ivysaur12

Banned
tumblr_mc9zyx1eC31qb4mxmo1_500.gif

This should get a lot of milage.

big ander

I am so glad to have this show back, bro-vine growth hormones.

admittedly this wasn't top for the show, but it was very good. The Max and Penny story and the Brad/Jane story were both hilarious. Dave and Alex left a little to be desired. those two characters can work really really well when the group is all together (especially Alex but it seems there are few who love Dave as much as I do, watching him make an idiot of himself as brad and max make fun of him is always amazing), but isolated they only got a few good lines in.

ivysaur12

Banned
New episode on tonight in Canada.

It's one of the best they've ever done. Ever. If you're a Jane fan, do not miss this one.

ivysaur12

Banned
The teaser was amazing because
Goddamit Latoya

One of my favorite episodes they've ever done, and probably the best Dave/Alex storyline since The Kerkovich Way.
The stupidest couple in existence, but I'm finally buying them as them. If we're lucky enough to get far enough into the series where Dave re-preposes, I'm going to be very excited about it.

beat

New episode on tonight in Canada.

It's one of the best they've ever done. Ever. If you're a Jane fan, do not miss this one.

And if necessary, set your DVR to stop recording at least a minute later -- you don't want to miss the tag.

Great episode. Not sure I would rank it as one of the best ever, but the piñata montage (followed by the final revisit to that joke) was excellent, and there were - as ever - some hilarious one-liners and exchanges.

TripOpt55

Really liked the Jane plot in particular. I liked when she was doing pushups in that one room all of the sudden and how she was just all of the sudden be places.

G0523

This was quite a great episode. Lots of fast, snappy one-liners. Especially Rachael Harris' character as the realtor. Man, was she pissed! Lol. Eliza Coupe's Jane was amazing throughout this episode too. Does anyone else think that Casey Wilson is skinnier now than she was a couple of years ago? A friend of mine pointed it out and now I'm wondering.

jb1234

Yeah, this made me MUCH happier than the premiere. Really funny, really solid. Eliza Coupe was a stitch throughout and I even liked the Alex/Dave plot (but mainly for Rachael Harris).

I'm ready for Dave and Alex to not be together. Again they were the worst part of an otherwise great episode. Jane and Penny were amazing the whole episode. I'm really interested in hearing Max's story about his Dad and the ice tray. :lol

^I don't know about her novel character names but I definitely laughed at "CCH Pownder".

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm ready for Dave and Alex to not be together. Again they were the worst part of an otherwise great episode. Jane and Penny were amazing the whole episode. I'm really interested in hearing Max's story about his Dad and the ice tray. :lol

^I don't know about her novel character names but I definitely laughed at "CCH Pownder".

Found it, Teagan Arrowspear.

And I agree about Dave and Alex. I feel like we're going to get a few of those before they split them up again. I did like the Dial-Up bit, "hesitant", and "Yeah, this one's haunted", but they were the worst part of the episode. Their characters aren't terribly great when they're with each other (even though I thought they were working better together in this episode).

SHUT UP, LATOYA!

jb1234

And I agree about Dave and Alex. I feel like we're going to get a few of those before they split them up again. I did like the Dial-Up bit, "hesitant", and "Yeah, this one's haunted", but they were the worst part of the episode. Their characters aren't terribly great when they're with each other (even though I thought they were working better together in this episode).

I liked the brunch scene, where they were making fun of their friends. It's fun watching Cuthbert's facial reactions. Based on the first season, I never would have guessed she'd become such a solid comic actress.

I feel like it is more Dave than anything else. Something about him just isn't memorable to me. I always forget his name when trying to describe the show to friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom