• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helix - Season 2 - Fridays on SyFy - Play God. Pay the Price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Just watched the recap. Well, at least if they were going batshit crazy, it appears to be organized batshit crazy and not Orphan Black 5 billion interchangeable vaguely threatening organization crazy.

So, that five minute recap video ain't working for me.

Is there anything I positively must know about Season 1 to watch Season 2 or can I just go in blind and still enjoy it?

Well, I somehow finished the first season. I didn't know if I'd make it but Jordan Hayes' eyes carried me through a lot of the weaker episodes. I struggle to think of anything the show does particularly well but the
500/Immortals/Umbrella
mythology does have potential and I'm willing to see what they've done to shake things up for season two. Part of me wants the show to clean itself up and get by purely on merit, the other part of me wants this seasons villain to be Jeri Ryan's head controlling a giant robot body like Krang from TMNT. I guess we'll see which direction they go with it.

Well, I somehow finished the first season. I didn't know if I'd make it but Jordan Hayes' eyes carried me through a lot of the weaker episodes. I struggle to think of anything the show does particularly well but the
500/Immortals/Umbrella
mythology does have potential and I'm willing to see what they've done to shake things up for season two. Part of me wants the show to clean itself up and get by purely on merit, the other part of me wants this seasons villain to be Jeri Ryan's head controlling a giant robot body like Krang from TMNT. I guess we'll see which direction they go with it.

Jordan Hayes kind of looks like Tori Black.

Blew through the first season on Netflix. I thought it was a quite solid and enjoyable mid-tier show actually. Really looking forward to the new season!

My wife and I strangely enjoyed this together. We usually don't like the same shows, but S1 of this was strange in both really funny and cheesy, endearing ways. I hope this isn't like Prison Break. Where I enjoyed S1 a ton and then hated what direction the second season went.

More Hatake! His character was so strange the whole season, I want more of that.

I'm just answering your question about what NARVIK did :p

Yes, and I appreciate it. I'm just saying I, as a viewer, would feel "betrayed" if a large chunk of season one's pushing factor was swept under the rug.

Then again you should probably know I expect Ron Moore to burn me. I was totally let down when the podcasts showed me his process. I'd love to be proven wrong, or rather, surprised.

Thumbsup-alec.gif

If the show maintains being fun/creepy/hallucinatory journey into the heart of paranoia/crazy fun, then that's good.

Is AV Club reviewing it week-to-week?

Season premiere tonight!
San Jose

15 months after the events at Arctic Biosystems, new CDC team with the addition of biotoxicologist Kyle Sommer respond to a potential outbreak on a Windjammer in the Northern Pacific. Their search leads them to an island occupied by a mysterious cult led by the charismatic Michael. Meanwhile, 40 years in the future, Walker arrives at the same island searching for Alan Farragut.
Major spoilers in the logline, so read at your own risk.

Wait, is that AV Club article implying the show hadn't already launched into insanity? Hmm.

Anyway, actually kinda excited for tonight. Go ivy! Hope 12 Monkeys is good too. I miss BSG-era SyFy.

Tawpgun

I was bored one day and thought it looked cool and watched it on netflix. It wasn't that good I thought but it kept me entertained.

Season 1 spoiler-question:
why did they kill that scientists "rock&roll vibe" chick, she was the most interesting character up to that point?

rakhir

Season 1 spoiler-question: why did they kill that scientists "rock&roll vibe" chick, she was the most interesting character up to that point?
There's no need to hide stuff from the first season, is there?
Yeah, they offed her really quickly and she was by far the most reliable person there. She probably would have figured everything out by the fifth episode so she had to go.

So, basing on the first picture Jordan Hayes is now front and center of the series? I can't complain.

There's no need to hide stuff from the first season, is there?
Yeah, they offed her really quickly and she was by far the most reliable person there. She probably would have figured everything out by the fifth episode so she had to go.

So, basing on the first picture Jordan Hayes is now front and center of the series? I can't complain.
I think the lesson learned should be: Don't kill your best actors!

- CinemaBlend review:
I kind of love that Helix is a show that makes it easy to jump into, even if you haven’t seen every episode. The premiere of Season 2 certainly does call back to various plot points from Season 1, but for the most part it almost felt like a completely new story. The new location and vastly different stakes have really given the show a breath of fresh air, and have created an environment where Helix could, in theory, go on for many more seasons. As long as they keep the show fresh like the writers have done so far, I’d be all for that. 4.5/5 stars

Marvel

could never
Loved it, looking forward to it's return. I don't see it on the sky planner though, when is it's UK release?

- Maureen Ryan's review:
I've only seen one episode of the second season of "Helix," but I'm definitely going to watch more. "Helix" does a fine job of creating a creepy vibe in its second-season opener, and though a lot of information from the first season has to be re-established, the drama hits the ground running and quickly builds up an effectively mysterious atmosphere. I was already on board by the time Steven Weber rolled up as a charismatic cult leader, but his excellent performance just cemented my desire to see more of this viral-outbreak drama.

ivysaur12

Banned
You should allow follow @HelixWriters because there's going to be some ugly drunken selfies from the writers and the premiere party/trivia from the season. Unfortunately, since we're not actually working at the moment (the show requires a lot of post), my memory's a little foggy on the details.

Also, Steven Weber is amazing, but wait until you meet Alison Louder. Amy is, well… Ahhh!

I'm really rooting for this to come into its own, so to speak. Only started watching this week, but I'm hyped. There's a real lack of fun science-fiction on TV at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom