• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
This thread is just all kinds of awesome. I've been reading through the thread slowly and I want to contribute, but I'm a bit of a novice. I'm going to start by trying some of your guys' recipes and then i'll find some to share. I also got a great new chef's knife that i'm putting through the paces tonight :D

yes i know my desk is cluttered :p

Edit: I'll also take pics the next time I brew a batch of beer, for all the homebrew enthusiasts on GAF.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I made Rei Toei's deluxe omelette tonight. It was a bit overdone, but turned out pretty well.

omeletedeluxeoa5.jpg

It was good, thanks for sharing the recipe :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
duderon said:
I made Rei Toei's deluxe omelette tonight. It was a bit overdone, but turned out pretty well.

omeletedeluxeoa5.jpg

It was good, thanks for sharing the recipe :D

Hi duderon, thanks for sharing and welcome to this humble thread. A good chefs knife is the base of all cooking utensils, as you can see in my pics, I use it for the majority of kitchen work. Please keep us posted with your next dishes!

Hooker: :lol
The two desserts gave it away for me.

ChryZ: thanks for the feedback. Yes, the sesame oil was made from unroasted seeds, I wanted just a hint of sesame taste on this dish, because the intensive aroma from roasted seeds would have overpowered the other ingredients, especially the mushrooms.

Keep'em coming!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I have no clue about wht to cook tonight, so any suggestions for a light dish will be appreciated for the next 90 or so minutes.

Input plz!

Hooker

Hello... This is Hooker's sis again

Normally when I want a quick meal I slice some steak up and sautee it with garlic, onions and lots of sliced peppers. Add some Ketjap Manis and hotsauce and serve with rice

Or a fish pie, softly fry dices carrots and onions before adding wilted spinach, cream and cheese. Take of the heat, add parsley, some lemon juice and fish (doesn't matter what fish... just what seems nice.. salmon, cod even shrimps) turn the saucepan over into an oven dish and top with cokked mashed potatoes. In a preheated oven (230C) for 30 to 45 minutes.

And when I'm really really lazy I make a salad with tomatoes, cucumber, diced fried chickenbreast and cheese. Eat with bread/toast.

Or otherwise, cook some spagetti and add diced tomatoes, rocket, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic and some basil. Very light and very fresh!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hooker said:
Hello... This is Hooker's sis again

Normally when I want a quick meal I slice some steak up and sautee it with garlic, onions and lots of sliced peppers. Add some Ketjap Manis and hotsauce and serve with rice

Or a fish pie, softly fry dices carrots and onions before adding wilted spinach, cream and cheese. Take of the heat, add parsley, some lemon juice and fish (doesn't matter what fish... just what seems nice.. salmon, cod even shrimps) turn the saucepan over into an oven dish and top with cokked mashed potatoes. In a preheated oven (230C) for 30 to 45 minutes.

And when I'm really really lazy I make a salad with tomatoes, cucumber, diced fried chickenbreast and cheese. Eat with bread/toast.

Or otherwise, cook some spagetti and add diced tomatoes, rocket, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic and some basil. Very light and very fresh!

Hi Hookers Sis, and thank your for the ideas. I would have made the rocket spaghetti, but I read it too late...
It is good to have you on board, btw. I am particularly fascinated by the variety of desserts you prepared so far. Please keep on cooking and let Hooker take the photos of it!:lol

So, I went the hearty way and tonights dish will be plain old Eggs-N-Beans.

The ingredients are:
smallCIMG2163.jpg

fresh eggs,
one to two cans of baked beans,
some fresh toast.

cooking starts when the wife comes home, pics will be up around the usual time,

To prevent me from cooking stuff like this again, please share your ideas for fast and light (as in opposed to my stuff) dinner recipes!

mrkgoo

Ok, haven't really been following this thread too closely, but I did a search and no Risotto comes up, and it's something I've been playing around with recently, and is oh so delicious.

I think I read it somehwere, but my recent ramblings have me just making stuff up as I go, so hopefully this makes sense.

You will need:
Onions (maybe one medium or two small)
Mushrooms (a couple portobellos)
Garlic (Ok, I'm crazy when it comes to this - there is no such thing as too much garlic - so go and use a whole bulb)
White wine (1/2 -3/4 cup)
Liquid chicken stock (1L)
Fresh parmesan (1/4-1/2 cup grated)
Arborio rice (2-3 small cups) - can substitute with short grain calrose, or Orzo pasta if you are desparate.
Olive oil.

Basic steps:
Finely chop onions and garlic and brown in a pan with olive oil (be careful, since I'm sure soem people have said, olive oil has low flash point and burns of really quickly).
When onions are going slightly transparent, add wine, and cook until it has reduced.
Add raw rice and cook for a few minutes. Turn down to medium temperature.
Now, add stock about 1/4 cup at a time, letting it cook and absorb into the rice without overheating, and stirring often to avoid burning. Keep doing so every few minutes until the stock is used up, and rice becomes cooked - this should take about 30 minutes.
About ten minutes before it's done, you can add chopped mushrooms (or other vegetables - spinach, herbs, broccoli etc) to cook until ready.
To serve, mix in the parmesan, and serve with a bed of baby spinach, or maybe some grilled chicken breast.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
Eggs and beans are the vital part of the classic English breakfast, but can be had every time of the day. They are a great hangover cure, too. As baked beans taste better the more are made at one time, it is not worth the hassle to cook them from scratch; Heinz Baked Beans are always a safe choice, but it is worth experimenting around and also trying out store brands.
Preparation of the beans is dead simple, just open the can, pour them in a small pot and heat, but DO NOT COOK them on low heat:
smallCIMG2164.jpg

smallCIMG2165.jpg

smallCIMG2167.jpg

smallCIMG2168.jpg

For the eggs, simply heat a skillet to medium and add some oil. It is advised to not overheat the skillet when frying eggs, as they burn quite fast. Better fry a little bit longer than too hot.
smallCIMG2169.jpg

The wife wanted an egg fried from both sides, I prefer the yolk to stay liquid. So, first for the double-sided egg. i spiced it with some salt, pepper and dill:
smallCIMG2170.jpg

smallCIMG2174.jpg

Be careful with the flipping, as keeping the yolk intact will earn you style points:D :
smallCIMG2175.jpg

smallCIMG2176.jpg

Flip over another time before serving:
smallCIMG2177.jpg

Now for my eggs. I like the yolk liquid but loathe it when the egg white is still slimy. To prevent this, carefully shave the transparent protective layer from the yolk and scrape the still iquid egg white from the egg into the pan:
smallCIMG2179.jpg

smallCIMG2178.jpg

I used the infamous "Maggi" universal condiment and some dill as spice:
smallCIMG2180.jpg

DONE!
Serve on a plate with a helping of sandwich bread:
smallCIMG2182.jpg

It is a plain dish, admittedly, but I like it from time to time. It reminds me of better times when being in GB.:)

Guten Appetit from Bonn!

bovo

OnkelC said:
Now for my eggs. I like the yolk liquid but loathe it when the egg white is still slimy. To prevent this, carefully shave the transparent protective layer from the yolk and scrape the still liquid egg white from the egg into the pan:
A possible tip for next time - if you put a pan lid over the egg when frying, the top of the egg white will cook without setting the yolk (obviously it will set the yolk eventually, but the white should cook first.)

bluemax

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Outside of the typical college kid frozen foods, all I have is potatoes and ramen noodles. What can I make OnkelC!

BUY A SLOW COOKER.

Seriously, Slow Cookers are essential for college students who want to cook. Why? Because with a little prep time the night before, you can put something in a slow cooker and have an awesome dinner when you come home from class.

Second most essential thing is a George Foreman grill, because it's 10 kinds of awesome.

I'm going to start sharing my cooking for college kids stuff soon. Perhaps tonight...

Yeah! Would you guys like to learn how to make George Foreman Chorizo Burritos? Or perhaps, super simple Kim Chee Fried rice?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo: thanks for the tip, but I appreciate the surgical way:lol

bluemax said:
BUY A SLOW COOKER.

Seriously, Slow Cookers are essential for college students who want to cook. Why? Because with a little prep time the night before, you can put something in a slow cooker and have an awesome dinner when you come home from class.

Second most essential thing is a George Foreman grill, because it's 10 kinds of awesome.

I'm going to start sharing my cooking for college kids stuff soon. Perhaps tonight...

Yeah! Would you guys like to learn how to make George Foreman Chorizo Burritos? Or perhaps, super simple Kim Chee Fried rice?

Do like a MAN and post them both!:lol
And Amen to the foreman grill. A contact grill is an awesome piece of kit for every kitchen.

bovo said:
A possible tip for next time - if you put a pan lid over the egg when frying, the top of the egg white will cook without setting the yolk (obviously it will set the yolk eventually, but the white should cook first.)
Yeah, I use that trick, too. It works pretty well. Just have to keep an eye on the eggs so you don't overcook them.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I went to Target and the World Market to pick up some cooking stuffs today. I saw these and had to buy:

wasabinutsnn2.jpg

wasabinuts2tt5.jpg

If you're a fan of wasabi and/or peanuts these are a must buy if you can find them :)

bluemax

Banned
OnkelC said:
bovo: thanks for the tip, but I appreciate the surgical way:lol

Do like a MAN and post them both!:lol
And Amen to the foreman grill. A contact grill is an awesome piece of kit for every kitchen.

Well I will eventually, but I don't have time tonight to cook both.

Pick one for tonight and one for tomorrow night!

ChryZ

Mapo-Tofu [ZH][EN]: tofu, pork in black bean sauce.

Warning, my version is leaning more towards szechuan home cooking in terms of spiciness.
This dish is very savoury and it can cause slight temporary numbness in your mouth.

*muhahahahaha*

main ingredients
150 G ground pork (5.3 oz)
300 G tofu (10.5 oz), press gently to remove liquid
3 X green onion (chopped)
1 CUP green peas (frozen, optional)

sauce ingredients
1 CUP chicken stock
1 CUP cooked black beans
2 TBSP fermented black bean sauce
1 TBSP hoisin sauce
1 TBSP starch
2 TBSP sesame oil (roasted, not cold-pressed)
2 TBSP sake
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP honey
1 TBSP szechuan pepper (roasted if possible)
1 X ginger (thumb-size)
3 X garlic clover

topping/garnish
1 TBSP green onion (julienned)
1 TBSP ginger (julienned)
2 TBSP sesame oil (roasted, not cold-pressed)

Mapo-Tofu_01.jpg

first roast pork in its own fat, remove from pan when nicely browned

Mapo-Tofu_02.jpg

roast cubed tofu in the remaining pork fat, remove from pan when slightly browned
(the frying keeps the tofu in shape, some prefer the more shredded look then skip this step)

Mapo-Tofu_03.jpg

all this browning leaves plenty of time to prep the sauce, combine all sauce ingredients

Mapo-Tofu_04.jpg

give it a go with a blender and it should look like this:

Mapo-Tofu_05.jpg

pour the sauce into the still hot pan, stir for a second while boiling, lower the heat,
add the peas and the chopped green onions

Mapo-Tofu_06.jpg

add pork and tofu, stir careful if you wanna keep the tofus' shape,
... otherwise just go nuts

Mapo-Tofu_07.jpg

time to serve, fix a bowl and top with julienned green onion and ginger
and drizzle some roasted sesame oil over it

Mapo-Tofu_08.jpg

Enjoy.

1159721357864.jpg

See you soon.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
bluemax said:
Rice please!

And damn you ChryZ for making so many awesome looking dishes with stuff I can't find near my home *sobs*

Jacobi

Banned
Since the other guy stopped doing it, I'm starting another PDF summary RIGHT NOW to let this stuff become printable. It's actually pretty fun...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ, great stuff again. I am running out of praise words:lol . As for the earlier discussion of frying minced meat with or without oil, I would second the frying of minced/ground pure pork without additional oil.

Jacobi, I am looking forward to the outcome of the pdf. PM me if you need anything from my stuff.

mrkgoo, the risotto sounds intersting. the recipes I know contain a certain amount of butter which is added tothe dish short before preparation to smoothen out the dish. It is interesting to see a variation without butter.

And duderon, I bet those are the hottest nuts currently on NeoGAF!:lol
If anyone of you comes across some other interesting, unique or special snacks, feel free to post them.

Peru

Giard said:
Say...why is this volume one? Is there going to be a volume two soon? This thread is getting huge!
When we have the PDF cookbook of vol.1 , the vol.2 thread can be created.

Jacobi

Banned
I just wanted to say a second volume wouldn't be too bad (else I won't get anywhere with the print-version of a never-ending story ;))

ChryZ

Thank you guys.

Funky Papa, I'll try to use more accessable ingredients from now on.

Cornballer, I would love to see your version of Mapo Tofu ... please post a pic.

OnkelC, I usually try to avoid any unnecessary use of fat.

yay! Im going to make my first attempt at this. I love to cook but I am usually to busy, I have this week off work so I am back to cooking. I started this last night and complteley forgot about this thread and to take pictures. Stupid me!!! I went back and took a few, will take more when I finish this off for dinner tonight. The orignal recipe had ginger yams and five spice apples as side dishes. Im going to make steamed rapini instead. (that will be shown later)

Asian-Marinated Pork Loin

4 cups water
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce very important that it's DARK and not just regular soy sauce. this is thick and syrupy almost like molasses.
1 1/2 teaspoons toasted Szechwan peppercorns
1 tablespoon toasted black peppercorns, plus freshly ground black pepper
4 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh ginger
2 star anise
2 bay leaves
1 4-pound pork loin

first prepare the brine for the pork, here are the ingredients. Salt is not shown, as I buy it in bulk and have no container for it. I just have a salt bowl I keep in the kitchen. I know I always enjoy seing the different packaging from around the world so I gathered everything else. Szechwan peppercorns can be hard to find and sometimes they are banned (where I am at least) due to fear of them carrying some bugs from china. So stock up when you see em! They are SUPER spicy and make your lips tingle!

DSC01157.jpg

First take peppercorns (both kinds) and star anise and put in small saute pan. Put pan on medium heat until the aroma fills the kitchen. Make sure to keep stirring so nothing burns. Sorry no pic of this :(

then in a large container mix the the rest of the ingredients, and the roasted spices, mix until sugar/salt is dissloved. Then place the pork in the brine and let sit overnight. Make sure pork is compltely covered. I did this last night before I went to bed. This after noon I flipped the pork over in the container.

When I first pulled it out this afternoon.

DSC01158.jpg

then...after I flipped it over.
DSC01160.jpg

Later tonight I will be finishing the recipe like this

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse the pork thoroughly with cold water, pat dry, and season with the ground pepper to taste. Heat a large skillet over high heat, add the oil, and swirl to caot the bottom of the pan. When the oil shimmers, add the pork and brown on all sides. Transfer the pork to a roasting pan and roast just until the pork is hot through to the center (about 125 degrees F internal temperature), 25 to 30 minutes. The interior of the pork will remain pink.

and cooking up some veggies. Will post more pics then!

Me? I live in Los Angeles, CA. I live in an area where there are a lot of Asian people so I have acess to all sorts of Asian markets.

Jacobi

Banned
Ok... Just wanted to add I also love to see how the packagings from other countries look like :D For me visiting a supermarket in a strange country is like a museum for other people...

ok! here is the rest.

so I take the pork out of the brine and dry it off. Sprinkle pork loin with ground black pepper and heat up my roasting pan on the stove, add olive oil and brown the pork loin.
DSC01162.jpg
DSC01163.jpg

Then flip. Add rack and we're ready to go into the over which I preheated to 375 F
Major disaster. This is a brand new roasting pan I got a sa gift. It dosent fit well in my oven. Door keeps popping over, this seriously increases cook time and my oven sucks to begin with. Uneven heating mofo. :(

DSC01164.jpg
DSC01165.jpg

Now for the side dish. I don't know what this veggie is called outside of the US, but even here it has many names. The package called it Baby Broccoli, but thats a first for me. Usually I've heard it referred to as broccoli rabe, broccolini or rapini (italian) I love it! its the best part of the brocolli, the stem and its a lot less bitter, almost asparagus like w/o making your pee smell funny. Add salt to boiling water and in it goes.
DSC01168.jpg
DSC01166.jpg
DSC01169.jpg

I like mine crisp so I pull it after 5 mintues and immediatly run under cold water. The stems only please, the flowery part falls apart easy. Must be gentle when rinsing. I have no pic of the rapini cooked, looks the same as the picture just brighter green.

Now for dessert!!! The Asian market I go to only sells ginger in packages and I can never use it all up before it goes bad so im always looking for a way to use it up. I had this idea of grating it into some yogurt. I used non fat plain yogurt that I have on hand for breakfast and grated some ginger into it. Yum. I also added lots of splenda (sugar sub) and it was sweet and spicy, very tasty. Will add dried fruit and nuts for breakfast/dessert :D
DSC01172.jpg
DSC01173.jpg

After 40 minutes (should have been 30) I take pork out and clock it at 130 F. The roast on the left is 140. I should have rotated the pan, I usually do but was so difficut to get it in and out of the oven due to size. Stupid oven.
DSC01181.jpg

Here is the pork sliced!!
DSC01180.jpg
DSC01185.jpg

Very tasty! the brining keeps the pork pink and juicy. Almost a ham taste to with the spicy kick behind it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
hi onion_pixy, welcome to this humble thread an thank you for your WORTHY CONTRIBUTION! Grab yourself a badge and wear it with pride.

For the Vol.2 of this humble thread, would it be OK if I start it when this one hits the 1000 replies mark? It would round it out nicely. Another suggestion would be to start it tomorrow, because there will be no cooking from me tonight (restaurant with the parents) and I would like to start the new one with a fresh recipe.

Title would be "Home-Style cooking with OnkelC and friends, Vol.2".

Any suggestions concerning this would be appreciated.

I'm all for thread volume 2 either now or at the 1000 post mark. This thread has been so insipring to me and a motivator to get back into cooking. I hope to put up a finished picture with the meat and veggie all plated up. But I don't plan on eating it for dinner tonight, the meal is for tomorrow. Oh, also important to cut on the bias or agasint tehmeat grin for this type of roast which you can see I started with on the corner. I now have four pounds of pork meat yeah!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Some impressions from tonights dinner:

Shrimp coctail as a starter:
smallCIMG2183.jpg

Penne All'Arrabiata:
smallCIMG2184.jpg

Pasta e Scampi:
smallCIMG2186.jpg

Pizza Pompeo (Salmon and onions):
smallCIMG2187.jpg

Canneloni filled with ricotta and spinach:
smallCIMG2188.jpg

smallCIMG2190.jpg

So, that was my last contribution to Volume 1 of this humble thread. Thank you to all fellow posters for your contributions and comments so far.

Tomoorow will see the dawn of Volume 2, starting with coverage of a typical Westfalian birthday celebration and the accompanying foods.

Stay tuned and keep on posting in the new one as much as you did in this joint. :lol

Vol. 2 can be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4558275

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Valtox said:
I had to bump the best thread ever.
Someone told about a PDF of the recipes, is there one?
Thanks for the kudos.

A fellow GAFfer is currently on the works with it, he will post it when it's done.

EDIT:

This is Vol. 1, please post your new recipes, ramblings and stuff in Vol. 2:
CLICKY HERE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom