• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hori reveals Wii U line of accessories

Eyothrie

I'll pick up the cheapo screen protector when its available on the US Amazon website. I've used the Hori screen protectors on my DS/3DS screens. If you don't use them, expect tiny hairline scratches over time from the stylus

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
There's an official screen protector, and it includes a pen stylus.

410Y1VmRmmL._SL500_.jpg

And this is my favourite stand so far:

41njIwyuMgL._SL500_.jpg

41Bulz5l6FL.jpg

Question: Does sound play through headphones hooked up to the gamepad even when you're playing on the TV?

'Cause that'd be nice.

Hard case might not be a bad idea when younglings play with the pad. I wonder if the protected pad will fit in the charging station though.

RussellXV

I've only seen it for sale from European and Japanese websites. NoA might not be selling it?

The Japanese box has a white gamepad on it instead of the black one on the European box.
1FxBc.jpg

It's available at play-asia.com. Looks like I'll have to order it from there if the US doesn't get it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I want that really expensive screen protector for some reason. The screen looked relatively strong on the Gamepad when I seen them at Eurogamer, and didn't show any sign of scratches despite being fondled by thousands of people, but I want to be sure it stays pristine.

Hopefully there will be a way to get them to the UK.

antonz

they will probably show up on amazon etc soon if Hori is just announcing them. They had the 3DS XL stuff for launch in US

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't know it's just worrying that there is an official screen protector as if they expect it to get scratched.
Well others have said it's plastic so you will need a protector. Especially if you're going to leave it lying around like a normal controller.

Thats awesome. So neat and tidy for when you are done playing.
Looks awful and pointless. Controllers can go in drawers if you need the living space to look neat. The stand will look ridiculous when the controllers are in use, and the Wii U console's rounded sides make it look rubbish in a vertical orientation.

Katzii

Already bought screen protectors from Barrier Chief since I was pleased with their 3DS XL ones, and they're sitting on a shelf in my room waiting for the end of November.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm going to buy that gamepad pouch and use it to put my stuff: cigarettes, phone, keys and lipstick

Chittagong

Gold Member
What a shit accessory lineup. Half a dozen different screen protectors (which are probably all the same), a pouch that is of zero use, and the dumbest of them all, the clear plastic shell - I mean come on, the controller is a plastic shell. A second one attached to it will help next to nothing.

The only ones that even remotely make sense are the headphones and styluses.

v1oz

What a shit accessory lineup. Half a dozen different screen protectors (which are probably all the same), a pouch that is of zero use, and the dumbest of them all, the clear plastic shell - I mean come on, the controller is a plastic shell. A second one attached to it will help next to nothing.

The only ones that even remotely make sense are the headphones and styluses.
The protective case and screen protector are to prevent scratches and stops it getting dirty. It's just like a smart phone case - nothing worse than a smart phone with scratched screen.

I was buying 2nd hand Wavebirds on eBay recently. You'd be amazed at how filthy 2nd hand controllers can be. If only people used cases it wouldn't be an issue!

Katzii

You'd be amazed at how filthy 2nd hand controllers can be.

Tell me about it. I think the worst thing is in the seam where the two pieces of the controller join up. There's always brown gunk that I can only assume is other people's dead skin in there and it grosses me the hell out.

The plastic shell is pretty useful for ensuring a lack of scratches on the surface of the game pad; I know the original 3DS (and possibly previous DS iterations) have had those clip-on clear clamshells to make sure you don't scratch the casing.

Or taking it over to a friend's for some 2 Gamepad game, but that'll be awhile yet. Maybe taking the system around period, but I'd think an all in one case would be better there.
It's not like anything else requires special protection, though. Gamepad aside you can toss all your wires, remotes, base system into any bag you wish and have no problems beyond a bit of scuff.

Screen protectors are a waste of money. I've owned basically every kind of system with a touch screen including a launch DS and never had any problems with them.

Still amazed people buy screen protectors for any device. I've had touch screen devices for years and I've only had one device get a tiny scratch. I'd take a tiny scratch over a screen protector on 24/7 any day of the week.

Top Bottom