• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm Obsessed With Old Game Console Store Display Kiosks (56k)

EvB

maxresdefault.jpg

The golden years

BONUS: Absurd vintage retail instructional videos for floor operations!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C990wzFsoho

I was super interested in the very first kiosk in this video. It seems like it only allows people to choose from a selection of video previews, but when he opens the display up you can see a PCB connected to a SNES cart. There's no way to play any of the games, and obviously a SNES cart couldn't store video, so I looked it up. Apparently the SNES cart is a custom controller for the Laserdisc player. What a bizarre setup.

HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy

sega1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

4D91596D-9ADC-132F-876C2331A59FAB08.png

B8DC066D-743D-4E95-A74D-8296957884A9_zpss4mxrthf.jpg

ArcadeRoom1_zps893df058.jpg

IMO, some of these kiosks are a great way to show off a system's game collection. The above shelving units with built-in TVs are pletty slick.

It's also a great way to display consoles alongside an arcade cabinet collection.

A must for any would-be video game museum.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
That Pokémon/GBC display is awesome. I could hang that up in my house and almost not feel lame about it.

HotHamBoy

I was thinking how gamecube is one of the newer ones yet its already 15 years old :( been feeling old lately..

No shit. Not related, but I started watching Planet Earth II today and they open by saying that the first series aired ten years ago, bleh.

But yeah, these are pretty vintage. God damn it, I want that Game Boy display with the TV...

Not quite the same but I became really fascinated by Not For Resale demo carts for a lot of games, specifically the Pokemon Distribution Carts (before serial codes seem to have permanently made them disappear). I've always loved the idea of owning something I'm not supposed to own.

252536864997_1.jpg

thumb.php

s-l300.jpg

SkV3MdY.jpg

I would love a thread to discuss these things, they're so interesting to me.

HotHamBoy

Not quite the same but I became really fascinated by Not For Resale demo carts for a lot of games, specifically the Pokemon Distribution Carts (before serial codes seem to have permanently made them disappear). I've always loved the idea of owning something I'm not supposed to own.

I would love a thread to discuss these things, they're so interesting to me.

Behold!

Pyrokai

Nothing will ever best the 9-tv display my local Best Buy had for the N64 when I was a kid. I seriously felt like I was in Disney World or something.

Yep there are some absolute gems from back in the day before people realized it was worth saving some of these. Some of those old competition carts are holy grails.

I've only really gotten into the modern ones. I'm mostly fond of the ones that have unreleased or unavailable content on them, such as the DS Demo Cart with the unreleased Gauntlet DS game, or the Legendary Pokemon distribution cart with the cancelled Celebi event.

Also really like the long series of Intervactive Multi-Game Demo Discs for the Gamecube, or the special Gift Version of Brain Age given out by Iwata at GDC 06.

brainagegdc-case.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Oneself

That TurbographX set up, I played so much Bonks and Bonks' Revenge on that thing when I was young.
Thanks RadioShack ;)

v0yce

My local used game store got a DK comp cart the other day.

They said some girl came in wanting to sell it for some gas money thinking it was a regular game and hoping to get about $20 bucks for it. When they told her they'd pay $500 she flipped out.

Now it has a $2000 tag on it. :/

womp

Anyone remember the Gamecube kiosks at McDonalds? I got my first exposure to Wind Waker there.

sN3oUiq.jpg

No joke...a local McDonald's still had one set up and working up until it was demolished a couple months ago. It had literally been in there for about 12 years and if I recall had Super Mario Sunshine on it. I would always drive by on my way to work and peek in to see if they would ever get rid of it.

They didn't.

Back in 1992 I did PR/sales for Sega in the big Toys R Us game aisle (I'd have to create those tickets every morning...remember those?) and always loved the Game Boy one with the TV screen showing off Link's Awakening that had come in down on the end of the Nintendo half. So gorgeous. The Genesis one showcasing Aladdin all day was a different story however, I wanted to burn it with fire. :p

56k warning in 2017... Would have been more useful to put a mobile warning instead.

Anyway... damn, seeing those N64, Dreamcast, GBASP, and Gamecube kiosks took me back for a second. I had almost completely forgotten what they looked like.

Blueblur1

Aww fuck. Know I have to put these on my list and buy them after grad school. I'm going to end up buying like 3 of them I just know it. (My poor wallet.)

SURGEdude

The 56k warning is hilarious since most of younger GAFfers won't even understand it lol.

I'm not sure which one brings more nostalgia, the 56k warning or the topic. The combination of the to means I have a bond of love with the OP.

Some really great finds, and thanks for all the pics.

HotHamBoy

This is probably one of the rarest ones I've ever come across in my days on the internet (not in person):

Vectrex Demonstration Machine via eBay Australia here

Yeah, that Vectrex one is so fucking neat. Stealing it for the OP.

My local used game store got a DK comp cart the other day.

They said some girl came in wanting to sell it for some gas money thinking it was a regular game and hoping to get about $20 bucks for it. When they told her they'd pay $500 she flipped out.

Now it has a $2000 tag on it. :/

They offered her $500 and she sold it? She didn't use her phone to check eBay? She should have wondered if they were going to pay her that much then what would they charge for it? What a dumb-dumb!

HaL64

All the haters on why would you keep such "junk". Well no one ever says that when they walk into my room full of kiosks.

eHKgBPjl.jpg
KkQSrtel.jpg

[plug]
Also if anyone has any kiosks or displays they'd like to sell, let me know. :)
[/plug]

HotHamBoy

All the haters on why would you keep such "junk". Well no one ever says that when they walk into my room full of kiosks.

eHKgBPjl.jpg
KkQSrtel.jpg

[plug]
Also if anyone has any kiosks or displays they'd like to sell, let me know. :)
[/plug]

I say this with love and admiration: FUCK YOU!

You're living the dream, man!

Did you get lucky on some of those or did you pay the going rate?

That Game Boy one is what I envy the most, but those SNES kiosks are sick.

Damn the SNES ones in the OP bring back some amazing memories. Played the shit out of those, specifically Mario World, Super Metroid, DKC, DKC2, and a few other games at my local Best Buy.

There was a shop that also had an SNES display but the controller was taped onto the wall and you could "touch" the buttons from the outside and it would work. The game was DKC and I remember playing the first level. However, I'm not sure if that's a real thing or not - maybe my mind was playing tricks on me when I was a kid.

The Best Buy in Oklahoma City in the 90s had this elaborate 9 TV setup that produced a single image showcasing the SNES (or N64 at the time?) but I could never really find an image of it.

HaL64

I say this with love and admiration: FUCK YOU!

You're living the dream, man!

Did you get lucky on some of those or did you pay the going rate?

That Game Boy one is what I envy the most, but those SNES kiosks are sick.

Yeah it sounds like a Super Nintendo arcade in there. :)

I got some pretty good deals on them.

MrFortyFive

Just reiterating the amazement at seeing a Vectrex display. Hell, it took me about 10 seconds just to remember what it was called. There can't be more than a handful of these floating around in the world.

As a kid, it was always an aspiration to have one of these. I wouldn't want one now, but I respect that dedication it takes to properly purchase and house one of these things.

HotHamBoy

This is a great thread OP, unfortunately for me I don't have that kind of cash :(

I'm glad some of you guys are enjoying it! I knew I wasn't alone because the prices are insane, if you can find them at all.

Most of us can never have these, but we can at least look back in fondness!

ChrisD

[plug]Also if anyone has any kiosks or displays they'd like to sell, let me know. :)
[/plug]

...I think I know what room I want to one day have in a future house.

Oh wow this thread makes me nostalgic. I still remember a time when I was little where I would go to two big stores with my mum here in Germany where the last floors especially were just one big game and toy paradise. Sure being small probably skewed my perspective but at that age stores almost seemed like a labyrinth to me anyways and entering the game section felt like I just went to a whole city of video-games with tons and tons of these kiosks being left and right. I still remember playing alot of Street Fighter II for SNES at one because my mum wouldn't let me buy it :p We also had another store where atleast a quarter of the game floor was dedicated to the Dreamcast and while I could never afford one it felt especially like a wonderland playing Jet Set Radio on a kiosk there, it's something I really miss from my childhood. Sure when you go into a Gamestop nowadays you still have walls full of games but for the lack of a better word it lacks the "soul" of the mid-90's floors, which were full of magic and wonder but that's probably the childhood nostalgia speaking for me :p

And fun fact, a N64 kiosk was the sole reason my first N64 game was Lylat Wars and not Super Mario 64, I played Lylat Wars and instantly fell in love with the game, it was my first 3D experience coming from the SNES and it felt like pure... well magic.

Peltz

That Virtual Boy one in the OP is not a store Kiosk. That's a home made setup.

The store Kiosk used the actual VB controller.

HotHamBoy

And fun fact, a N64 kiosk was the sole reason my first N64 game was Lylat Wars and not Super Mario 64, I played Lylat Wars and instantly fell in love with the game, it was my first 3D experience coming from the SNES and it felt like pure... well magic.

Woah, I had no idea it was called Lylat Wars in some regions. I just thought Star Fox was Star fox. Did they change it later?

Star Fox 64 was the game that really blew my mind, too. I remember very vividly playing it on the N64 kiosk at a local store on multiple occasions. I thought the graphics were beyond amazing, lol.

That Virtual Boy one in the OP is not a store Kiosk. That's a home made setup.

The store Kiosk used the actual VB controller.

Yeah, I have a couple of the real store kiosks in there, too. Decided to keep the custom one up there anyway, it looks too damn cool. Same for the Pokemon Game Boy frame :p

Top Bottom