• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indies should definitely jump onto the PS Vita" - Retro City Rampage Developer

B-Ri

Dear Devs,

I'ved owned a Vita since black friday. I officially have ZERO space for games on my 32gb card, I've had to delete games. I own over 40 playable titles on my Vita, and the majority of them are VITA titles, NOT PSone classics.

GIVE. ME. MOAR. GAMES.

Also Sony, give me a 64gb card plz <3

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48370510#post48370510
Holy Shit. I need a Vita.

tumblr_lfr3v2PCqA1qare4mo1_500.gif

Yep, and if anything the support is only rising. We know a few developers working on games that they havent announced yet and others looking into getting their games on Vita as well, making that list way longer once they have been announced.

That link is a list of Indie games announced for Vita atm,btw (just for the new page):
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48370510#post48370510

Isn't Jetpack Joyride on Vita as well? I played that on my friend's iphone and it was fun. Might look into it if the price is right.

Also Sony, give me a 64gb card plz <3

Sony needs to hurry up with the MC price drops and 64 and 128GB MCs.

What happened to Meat boy?

Super Meat Boy? I don't think that was ever confirmed or rumored to come to it. People are hopeful as that would be great. Rumor has it MS has an iron clad contract that says SMB can't come to PS3 PSN ever, but maybe PSVita PSN is a loophole.

Ocaso

Are any of those games worth a $250 dollar investment?

Alone, perhaps not, but there are enough great titles collectively to justify it. I'd say Plus is Vita's killer app, though.

Nonetheless, more support for Vita sounds awesome, and more indie games would br great news. It's a great piece of hardware that deserves success.

Jhriad

Really hoping they drop the price to $199 soon. My sister wants one for her birthday in June and it'd be nice to save a bit of money buying one for her and one for myself. Plus memory sticks and two copies of P4G. Expensive times.

Didnt' RCR have a few weeks head start on PSN? i know the only reason i picked it up on the PS3 was for that reason. (I enjoyed it so much i double dipped and grabbed it for 360 too in support of the developer)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Well then, Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, DJ Max Technika Tune, Zeros Last Reward (better version) and...

plus all the minigames.

It released on Steam at the same time as PSN.

Plus Vita outsold a 90million userbase on PS3.

remnant

Banned
Alone, perhaps not, but there are enough great titles collectively to justify it. I'd say Plus is Vita's killer app, though.

Nonetheless, more support for Vita sounds awesome, and more indie games would br great news. It's a great piece of hardware that deserves success.
I don't see it. If this was steam I would wait for a sale for a lot of those games. 250 plus the 50 bucks for a year of plus. That's a hell of a premium

Popular Indie games that have been announced for Vita:

Starlight Inception
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New N' Tasty!
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD

Mid-range PC games like this and Strangers Wraith are a great fit for the Vita. I'm really looking forward to Starlight Inception, last space portable space game I remember playing was Wing Commander on GBA.

Toma

So was RCR. They record which platform the game was ' purchased ' on I presume.

You need to dl/activate two different keys for the crossbuy version of a game. If you buy a cross buy game, and only download the Vita version, the PS3 one will never activate. Seems easy enough to keep track of.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Very nice. Reading your second paragraph is like seeing my own jumbled thoughts put into words =)

I also have Terraria on Steam, and as much as I love the concept, I never play it.
If it was on Vita, and had a similar online capabilities, I would snatch it up in no time.

I think the main reason people say "Vita has no games" is because most of us are "just" playing ports and indies at the moment. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if we start seeing more original, fully-fledged titles like Gravity Rush and Soul Sacrifice, we can surely expect to kiss this unfortunate meme goodbye.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I was writing it on my kindle Fire, and the auto-correct had a field day with some of that stuff.

My thoughts on the ports are "better a port than nothing at all." Many of the games that are ports I've never played, like Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, and Persona 4.

Some of the non-ports tends to get dismissed as "less than" a console game. While, technically, that may be true, I think games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Unit 13, Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation, etc, are being sold way, way short by a lot of gamers on gaf. There's this stigma that's been around since the early days of handheld gaming that portables are always inferior versions of console games. PlayStation All Stars is pretty much a perfect port, and I play it 99.9% of the time on my Vita. I prefer the Vita version, actually.

The PSP didn't help matters, with its lack of a second analog stick, making the claim of "console experience on the go," a dubious one at best. The Vita, however, is a superbly designed piece of hardware, and playing games like Uncharted, Unit 13, and even Monster Hunter PSP, feel great, being able to use that second stick to control the camera and aiming/shooting like you would on the console.

Sure, Assassin's Creed Lib is a spin off, but it feels (and looks) like Assassin's Creed. I don't have to hold my controller in a weird position just to play the game properly (no CLAW needed).

The thing I love the most about the system is its versatility. It can have "real" console experiences, and it can have bite sized games as well.

I welcome ports and new experiences. Anyone doubting that we'll be seeing new IPs on the Vita are ignoring the rather impressive library of original content seen on the PSP. Not all of those games were released year one. It takes time for a console/handheld to build up a sizable, varied library. The Vita is still just getting started, but it's year one already boasted 100 games covering various genres (and not including PSP and PS1 titles; these are Vita specific games, apps too, I believe).

Year 2 has some great stuff coming as well. Patience is a virtue that it seems gamer's lack. I have so much on my plate already. I don't want new games just to add to my backlog. I'm actually trying to work my way through games first, before buying new ones (I'm still not too good at that, actually. I just bought Sly: TiT when it was on sale on Amazon, but I'm still playing through Ni No Kuni).

Toma

Thanks! Unfortunately, I was writing it on my kindle Fire, and the auto-correct had a field day with some of that stuff.

Fantastic post. There are so many problems surrounding peoples opinion which cloud their judgment in this issue (or the WiiU for that matter lately). Vita is a fantastic machine and deserves every bit of love it gets and more.

yurinka

I think you'll like this. My favorite indie games available on Vita, a suggestion to new Vitabros (PSP, Minis and PSM games also included) :

Super Crate Box
Rocketbirds
Escape Plan *
Sound Shapes *
When Mutan Blobs Attack
Retro City Rampage
Surge
Sine Mora
Urban Trial Freestyle
Oddworld : Stranger's Wrath HD
Wizorb
Haunt The House
Gun Commando
Knytt Underground
Jetpack Joyride
Life of Pixel
Big Sky Infinity
Burn the Rope
Riff : Everyday Shooter *
Canabalt
Shift Extended
Aero Racer
fl0w *
Pix'N Love Rush
Echoes
Puzzle Scape Mini
Kaleidoscope
Age of Zombies
Coconut Dodge
Fieldrunners
Where is my heart?
Velocity
OMG-Z
I MUST RUN!
The 2D adventures of Rotating Octopus Character
The Impossible Game
Hysteria Project
Flying Hamster HD
Aqua Kitty

* = not that indie, because were published / funded by Sony Santa Monica, like Journey

Toma

Another tweet by Zeboyd, reposted from Zulux:

Nothing definite yet, but I'm feeling pretty good about the idea of our next game (CSH) being on PC & Vita.
from Robert Boyd &#8207;@werezompire
creator of breath of death, CSTW and penny arcade 3 and 4from Robert Boyd &#8207;@werezompire
creator of breath of death, CSTW and penny arcade 3 and 4

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Good to hear they're finding success. I don't know what it is about the Vita, but I find myself buying a ton of content for it. More importantly, I'm also playing that content. By comparison, I have over a hundred untouched games on PC.

Vita just suits me, I suppose.

Toma

Good to hear they're finding success. I don't know what it is about the Vita, but I find myself buying a ton of content for it. More importantly, I'm also playing that content. By comparison, I have over a hundred untouched games on PC.

Not only you :)

Just started dabbling into MLB12, Ninja Gaiden, Life of Pixel (again) & Smart As.

And those were just the games I started playing in the last week or so. Though I really should start FINISHING some more games instead of starting more, but I always get more games! I really need some time off buying them.

i find its killing me on impulse buys.

its waaaay to easy to buy stuff laying in bed semi bored with a vita right next to me

For those unfamiliar with our RPGs, this is what our new game that's coming out soon currently looks like:

RS4_prSc6.png

RS4_prSc2.png

RS4WorldMap1.png

Battle2.png

CSH (which would be the one that we would be putting on the Vita) is going to look even better. Should look very awesome on the Vita's screen.

I am sure the Vita is a good home for indie games right now (new platform, fevered platform supporters, perceived software drought), but THIS game... and THIS guy? That will not be your proof.

SmokyDave

i find its killing me on impulse buys.

its waaaay to easy to buy stuff laying in bed semi bored with a vita right next to me
Heh, ain't that the truth. I'm constantly torn between browsing the store and working on my backlog. In a way, I'm almost grateful for the relative paucity of the release schedule.

Toma

For those unfamiliar with our RPGs, this is what our new game that's coming out soon currently looks like:

RS4_prSc6.png

CSH (which would be the one that we would be putting on the Vita) is going to look even better. Should look very awesome on the Vita's screen.

I love the way you approach old school RPGs and your humor, looking forward to that one and CSH :)

Top Bottom