• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 3.0 Preview: Today @ 10AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmoe316

Apple will be previewing the latest iPhone OS today to select media. This will be version 3.0 of the iPhone OS and will hopefully be coming soon. The preview is being held in Cupertino, California and is scheduled to start today at 10AM PST.

Digg's Kevin Rose talked about a few tidbits of v3.0 of the iPhone OS

Confirmed for iPhone OS 3.0:
  • Cut & Paste feature
Rumoured for iPhone OS 3.0:
  • Features to bring it up to par with the Palm Pre OS
Denied for iPhone OS 3.0:
  • Apps running in the background

Few links to live blogs:

Synless

Cheebs said:
Seeing how the iphone lately has been getting better games than the ds and psp I think it is rather related.
No fucking way has it gotten better games then either of those platforms.

Cheebs

Synless said:
Not a chance in hell has it gotten better games.
I'd say the last few months the iphone has had better releases compared to the same time frame of ds/psp. Obviously lifetime vs. lifetime ds is better.

Carlisle

Synless said:
No fucking way has it gotten better games then either of those platforms.
Overall, no. But he said lately, which, disregarding 1 or 2 exceptions, is hard to disagree with

jmoe316 said:
Rumoured for iPhone OS 3.0:
  • Features to bring it up to par with the Palm Pre OS
Denied for iPhone OS 3.0:
  • Apps running in the background

Well, other than apps running in the background, what other feature would iPhone users want that the Palm Pre can do?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Cheebs said:
Seeing how the iphone lately has been getting better games than the ds and psp I think it is rather related.
:lol

Synless

Cheebs said:
I'd say the last few months the iphone has had better releases compared to the same time frame of ds/psp. Obviously lifetime vs. lifetime ds is better.
Resistance, Phantasy Star Portable, Loco Roco 2 alone on the PSP are better games than anything that's been released on the iphone/touch. I'm not trying to start a war here, but your statement is flatout ridiculous. Every game released thus far are half assed efforts with a few jems here and there that still don't compare to any of those games. One of those good game overshadows almost all the games that have been released on the iphone/touch.

Crisis

Banned
OP I hate to say this to you but if you think that because Kevin Rose said so the iPhone 3.0 software has cut and paste then you are sadly mistaken. That confirms nothing. There is basically a 50/50 chance that he is completely and flat out wrong. I get the feeling he's making up bullshit because
Kevin Rose said:
Features to bring it up to par with the Palm Pre OS

literally means nothing. As it is nothing has been confirmed by Apple so nothing is confirmed until approximately 1-2 hours from now.

FortNinety said:
Well, other than apps running in the background, what other feature would iPhone users want that the Palm Pre can do?
The Pre's notifications system is really goddamn nice.

Also, I hope this firmware update adds a physical keyboard and a video camera.

eznark

Banned
Synless said:
I know, I was really hoping for background apps. Oh well, there is always next time.

Don't get me wrong, love my phone, just background aps was the one realistic hope I had for 3.0.

Xater said:
Oh how I enjoy these liveblog threads. This will be great no matter how the preview turns out. :D

Yeah, can't wait for the event to end and see all kinds of people complaining about what wasn't put in rather than the great stuff we'll probably be getting.

maxmars

Epix said:
So if there's a recall on iPhone batteries I should post it here?

If it was me to decide, yes, of course, pretty much as you'd do if there was a recall of DS batteries or something. But I see this very topic has been moved to the off-topic so the answer is 'no'.

Wish there was a setting to make the 2g touch processor run slower, it's great for playing app's at a full framerate but the battery dies in 90 minutes.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Diablohead said:
Wish there was a setting to make the 2g touch processor run slower, it's great for playing app's at a full framerate but the battery dies in 90 minutes.
I think that would happen regardless.

Flash support as the promised "conversion" of video sites to iPhone standards never has happened and quite likely never will.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I hope it supports irritating Amiga demos with rave music and bouncing text shouts out to other 'crews' or I'll be pissed.

i want full signs in the virtual keyboard, like the ° in my username, so that i can log in from my iphone, thanks.

copy, paste is good, but i hope they add the ability to open a second tab like the "ctrl+click" in every goddam browser plus the background loading for secondary web pages.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Graf Nudu said:
Do people who bought the 2.0-update need to pay for the 3.0-update, too?
Even bigger question.
(if its supported) do first gen iphone owners need to buy it?

IIRC, the "free" updates was only for 2 years.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Firestorm said:
The feature I want most denied? Wonderful.

Denied by whom? Kevin Rose? Apple hasn't made any comments about 3.0, so anything can happen.

eznark said:
I've never heard the rationale behind not having it?

because email is the future dude! mms is antiquated!

(i don't get this line of thinking, MMS is a 5 year old technology, email is what? 15? 20 years old?)

Pimpwerx

I'm very interested. I've gotta take a quick inventory of the Cydia apps I currently use, b/c if there is any difficulty jailbreaking this one then I'm probably ok ditching Cydia. I really think I only use the free apps from the app store. I'll miss SBSettings though. :( PEACE.

eznark

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Denied by whom? Kevin Rose? Apple hasn't made any comments about 3.0, so anything can happen.

because email is the future dude! mms is antiquated!

(i don't get this line of thinking, MMS is a 5 year old technology, email is what? 15? 20 years old?)

That would be awesome and correct, if everyone had a f'ing smart phone.

Dez

The biggest question I have is will 3.0 be jailbreakable. Obviously we won't get that answer for a while.. but if not, I'm not interested.

things i want:

- 5 icons in the dock (i jailbroke just so i could put text messaging where it belongs - right next to the phone icon)

- horizontal apps (see: email, text messaging, etc - why a horizontal keyboard isn't available everywhere a keyboard is present boggles my mind still to this day)

- copy and paste (...)

- the OPTION to MMS (yes, emailing pictures would work in a wonderful world where everyone has a smart phone, but many people have simple free flip camera phones and sometimes you might want to send them a picture or, gasp, RECEIVE a picture from them. the option would be nice)

- easier homepage organization, maybe an option in itunes? (personally i have 2.5 pages so it isn't a hassle, but many people have many more, and moving icons one at a time on the phone can get quite annoying, especially when trying to organize by category or whatnot.)

- multiple apps running at a time/the 'announced for 2.0 then for 2.1 then disappeared forever' push notification? (be logged into a service, say, IM, and have it run in the background is of course the most basic example of this)

- video OPTION for the camera (cycorder does it, it is possible)

- heres something basic - an easy way to mass-delete pictures off your phone. not having to use windows, or whatnot, but if i want to delete 20 pictures i've taken, when on the phone, it's one at a time or bust.

- live weather option (have an option that makes the icon 'live' - hell, live icons would be kickass)

so yeah, that's what i've wanted since i got my edge phone in july 2007, and have wanted even more since i got my 3g in july 2008. we'll see what gets announced today.

Having an IM app running in the background should be standard. I don't understand how it's possible my old Sony Ericsson's or Nokia's could do things this phone can't.

The thing I want most is some common sense when it comes to podcasts. The only reason I've got a jailbroken phone is so I can download podcasts over 10mb through websites. There's NO excuse if you're letting me stream a podcast not to let me download it.

eznark

Banned
I'd like the iPhone/iTunes to know that I am in the middle of a podcast, so that when I sync them it isn't auto deleted. That would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom