• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 3.0 Preview: Today @ 10AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasoco

Banned
I wish I could afford an iPhone monthly fee.

But I'm getting an iPod touch at the end of Summer, so this will be perfect timing. Especially if there's a hardware bump then too. :D

NekoFever

jonnybryce said:
Wow, I love iPhoners mentality. "Really? You want to spend two seconds discussing an issue? What is this word? If you have an issue jump ship and use something else, iPhone is perfect."

I can't wait for "[real complaint or suggestion or simply discussion topic] is the new copy and paste?" to go huge. I've already seen this brought up 3 times in 3 different places.
I'm merely pointing out that we've got a few pages of people piling on about a minor issue now that Apple has just fixed a few of the major omissions that have been complained about pretty much since it came out. It just looks like people are moving from one reason not to get an iPhone to another, even if that's not the case, and they're becoming increasingly petty. MMS, copy and paste, etc were definitely important things to add for a smartphone and I've wanted both for a while, but now that they're coming the big issue du jour is that you can't change the background? Come on...

AmishNazi said:
Wait now I'm delusional and didn't see people saying Apple intentionally left it out so that all their units would look the same? I didn't see people saying that Apple demands that my machine be a demo machine, and I'm not allowed to fuck it up by using a bright ass wallpaper?

Stop being condescending jack asses. I love Apple too, but to defend this is.... It's something else and hilarious.
Good Lord, your iPhone screens are all full of icons nearly completely obscuring anything behind it anyway. It's like adding a background to a full-screen calculator app.

NekoFever said:
I'm merely pointing out that we've got a few pages of people piling on about a minor issue now that Apple has just fixed a few of the major omissions that have been complained about pretty much since it came out. It just looks like people are moving from one reason not to get an iPhone to another, even if that's not the case, and they're becoming increasingly petty. MMS, copy and paste, etc were definitely important things to add for a smartphone and I've wanted both for a while, but now that they're coming the big issue du jour is that you can't change the background? Come on...

They definitely fixed a lot of the main issues. It's no longer behind in the simple things. Before it could be said that iPhone was pathetic for not allowing such simple tasks as MMS, and that has been fixed and then some. Awesome, and kudos for Apple.

Now, a side note, there is a discussion about why or why not the iPhone doesn't have the option to change the wallpaper. The iPhone doesn't suck because of it, the topic was brought up and ideas were being thrown around. It's not a huge deal, it's not MMS status or copy and paste status, but it's just being talked about. Let discussions be held without the "oh my god they solve copy and paste and people are already complaining wtf" comments. They don't get a free pass against discussions for life because they've worked on 3.0. The iPhone doesn't suck because it can't change wallpaper, it's just very strange.

Tobor

AmishNazi said:
Wait now I'm delusional and didn't see people saying Apple intentionally left it out so that all their units would look the same? I didn't see people saying that Apple demands that my machine be a demo machine, and I'm not allowed to fuck it up by using a bright ass wallpaper?

Stop being condescending jack asses. I love Apple too, but to defend this is.... It's something else and hilarious.

Defending and explaining are two very different things. I'm not defending anything, and if I felt strongly about changing the background, I'd jailbreak. My comments in this thread would have been the same either way.

jts

...hate me...
Guys, is there an iPhone Windows app in the "Nokia Photos" style that logs all of your received and sent text messages and photos and keeps them organized in a timeline of sorts? Or for Mac OSX?

jonnybryce said:
Wow, I love iPhoners mentality. "Really? You want to spend two seconds discussing an issue? What is this word? If you have an issue jump ship and use something else, iPhone is perfect."

I can't wait for "[real complaint or suggestion or simply discussion topic] is the new copy and paste?" to go huge. I've already seen this brought up 3 times in 3 different places.

That wasn't my point. If someone is so annoyed, as some are in this thread, with the mere fact that they can't change their background, then perhaps they should look for a device that allows them to do just that. There are plenty out there.

The issue here is that there are legitimate gripes with the OS and the hardware. The fact that you can't change the background seems like such a minor one that it is way down the list of things to update. And if it isn't way down your list, than another device really is the way to go.

Ashhong

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Good Lord, your iPhone screens are all full of icons nearly completely obscuring anything behind it anyway. It's like adding a background to a full-screen calculator app.

whats the difference between changing the wallpaper in the iphone and a wallpaper on your desktop PC? they both can be full of icons. its not a big deal to me, but it should be customizable imo.

LCfiner

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
The better analogy is the difference between a wallpaper on the iPhone and a wallpaper in the Finder background.

you mean....

like this:

screen2.jpg

and, yes, I'm aware that this image validates both sides of the argument

a) Apple allows this option in OS X, so why not the iPhone?

and

b) it doesn't always work well...

jts

...hate me...
That is indeed a bloody mess, but I think that simple background colour changing options couldn't go wrong.

LCfiner

jts said:
That is indeed a bloody mess, but I think that simple background colour changing options couldn't go wrong.

I chose an extreme example because it made me laugh.

Yes, you could also use a color or a simple gradient image.

one thing to note is that you almost never see images of finder windows with custom background colors. it's very, very rarely used.

Wraith

Does app access to music mean that maaaaaaaybe the Last.FM app will be able to scrobble from local files? I've been streaming a lot via Simplify lately simply to keep my scrobbling up to date.

LCfiner

Wraith said:
Does app access to music mean that maaaaaaaybe the Last.FM app will be able to scrobble from local files? I've been streaming a lot via Simplify lately simply to keep my scrobbling up to date.

unlikely in one sense. The obvious implementation is still not possible.
that would mean the scrobble service is running in the background (not possible) and listening to what the ipod app is doing.

BUT, a revised Last.FM app could play your local music files for you and scrobble while doing so.

Burger

LCfiner said:

I know you are making a point, but...

Perhaps because Apple as a business do not operate on the whims of the population, nor should they.

The only obligation Apple have is to make a product that is safe and works as advertised. If you want something to please all of the people all of the time, you get the Homer Simpson car.

LCfiner

Burger said:
I know you are making a point, but...

Perhaps because Apple as a business do not operate on the whims of the population, nor should they.

The only obligation Apple have is to make a product that is safe and works as advertised. If you want something to please all of the people all of the time, you get the Homer Simpson car.

have you read my fevered, anti-customization posts for the past three pages? :lol

I am totally on the same wavelength as you. Apple doesn't need to add wallpaper support to appease a vocal minority

I just wanted to point out both conclusions one could draw from the image I posted. try to see it from the other, obscured point of view.

Wraith

LCfiner said:
unlikely in one sense. The obvious implementation is still not possible.
that would mean the scrobble service is running in the background (not possible) and listening to what the ipod app is doing.

BUT, a revised Last.FM app could play your local music files for you and scrobble while doing so.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, your second scenario is what I was envisioning. That's great news!

LCfiner

Wraith said:
Sorry if I wasn't clear, your second scenario is what I was envisioning. That's great news!

before you get too excited, it's not "news". it's an educated guess from a dude who does not have the new OS or SDK and can't confirm shit. :D

I would still like that Last. FM update to happen, tho. I don't use the app enough right now.

Wraith said:

Last.FM should scrobble your files anytime you connect your iphone to your pc.

Jasoco

Banned
Freedom = $1.05 said:
It does that, but you have to use their HORRIBLE resource chewing official software. I prefer to use Bowtie because it does Last.fm but allows you to create any visual display you want by using WebKit to code your own transparent "webpage" that sits on your desktop. Like Konfabulator and Dashboard do but much lighter in resources. It doesn't scrobble all your iPod songs though. So a Last.fm app would be awesome. But only if it could queue scrobbles in case you are not connected to a network at the time. (i.e. if you are using an iPod touch and only have WiFi but aren't in an area. Or have an iPhone that's out of its network.)

RevoDS

Freedom = $1.05 said:

That doesn't work quite as intended though. Half the time, it'll scrobble your iTunes plays instead of iPod ones, meaning what you play on your PC is effectively duplicated while your iPod plays don't appear at all. iPod detection is shaky as well, and it takes ages to do if you don't start the process manually in the app's diagnostic options.

their HORRIBLE resource chewing official software

It's using up 0% CPU and 10MB of RAM at the moment. Hardly a resource hog.

On the whole I agree with you though.

Wraith

Freedom = $1.05 said:

Aside from the issue RevoDS mentioned, there's generally a 2-4 week delay between syncs for me. You can pretty much blame that on Simplify, but right now I'm also dealing with an issue where Windows 7 is awfully slow to sync my phone(i.e., need to leave my phone plugged in and pc running overnight). Again, it's not a huge deal, it's just something I wouldn't mind having.

mrkgoo

LCfiner said:
you mean....

like this:

and, yes, I'm aware that this image validates both sides of the argument

and

b) it doesn't always work well...

I thought of the same argument too, but Apple hasn't really made a finder window an icon for the mac. Think about the screen for macs, their default desktop is actually an icon for all their macs, the wavy blue, the crimson space shot, the clown fish in the anemones - they're all iconic. And I actually have only one icon on my desktop - the HD. I use my desktop as a temporary shifting area.

LCfiner said:

never seen this theme, name please...

and is apple still making up bullshit about the original iphone cant do mms?

apple devs can't accomplish what some indie devs have with swirly mms?

Vyer

GodfatherX said:
until we get MMS and Flash all updates are useless to me

GodfatherX said:
yes 3G iphone users are, but apparently my 4 year old free samsung flip phone is more compatible with MMS then the original iPhone...its bullshit really

GodfatherX said:
still curious why the original iPhone, which is superior to basically every phone out besides the 3g, can't do MMS, but the 3G can...this is frustrating to say the least

GodfatherX said:
and is apple still making up bullshit about the original iphone cant do mms?

apple devs can't accomplish what some indie devs have with swirly mms?

Protip: It's a little less obvious when you pace yourself.

Vyer said:
Protip: It's a little less obvious when you pace yourself.
less obvious about what? That im pissed about my phone not being able to do mms, after 2 years of release, and there isn't a logical answer as to why?

thought i made that pretty obvious from my first post in this thread

if you dismissing me as some anti-iphone troll id suggest checking the rest of my post history about the device, from asking for advice about jailbreaking to constant recommendations over windows mobile phones after years of supporting WM.

Vyer

GodfatherX said:
less obvious about what? That im pissed about my phone not being able to do mms, after 2 years of release, and there isn't a logical answer as to why?

thought i made that pretty obvious from my first post in this thread

if you dismissing me as some anti-iphone troll id suggest checking the rest of my post history about the device, from asking for advice about jailbreaking to constant recommendations over windows mobile phones after years of supporting WM.

It's being discussed pretty regularly in both threads. Don't know what the point of repeating some variation of the 'my POS old phone does it!' over and over and over again is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom