• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 4 Event - April 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jal

Thank god for multitasking, not that i give a shit but it saves the internet from going into meltdown.

Good news, everyone!

apple-iphone-os4_075.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I want to hear what the limitations to multitasking are.

Has to be something if they are saving battery life.

gcubed

I'm gonna launch mail, this has a URL -- so I jump to safari -- so I want to go back to mail... I double click the home button and a window raises that shows me all the apps that are running." Like a dock you can call up -- smart!

lol.... really? thats amazing, did you think of that all on your own?!!?

StoOgE

Save states?

Nothing showed real multitasking.. I would have prefered he bring up something like last.fm and switched off to see what happened.

DarkJC

He’s moving back and forth between apps fairly quickly, but we’re not seeing how this is actually multitasking though — what Steve is showing right now is just app switching.

I'm trying to figure out if gdgt is being purposefully dense here.

"We've been using it a lot and it changes the way you use the iPhone."

lol, that's what we've been saying for all this time while you and the defense force said it wasn't necessary.

Ok, multitasking and wallpapers, down. What's next!?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
rubxqub: why shouldn't a user have the ability to multitask out of a game and into an ebay app? it's absolutely archaic to run only one application at a time considering the power of these smartphones!

LCfiner

Jacqui Cheng:
for example, Pandora
Thursday April 8, 2010 10:20 Jacqui Cheng
10:20

Jacqui Cheng:
so devs can add multitasking while the system preserves battery life
10:20

Jacqui Cheng:
in iPhone OS 4, we're providing those services as APIs to developers
10:19

Jacqui Cheng:
looked at tens of thousands of apps and distilled the services that they need to multitask in the background
Thursday April 8, 2010 10:19 Jacqui Cheng
10:19

Jacqui Cheng:
how are we adding multitasking while preserving battery life and performance?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Need to see more of this multi-tasking.

Not sure how it's much different than what you can already do aside from making app switching easier.

Edit: Here comes Pandora...nevermind.

Jasoco

Banned
I assume the whole Keynote will be online on Apple.com and iTunes by the end of the day as usual. Can't wait to see the info about this from Steve's mouth.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
TheHeretic said:
Only 4 apps it seems.

nope:

"And again, I can go home anytime I want. Boom I'm home. Make sense? Really simple UI, puts all the apps at the bottom that are running." You can scroll through the list. "Also, you see the new look of the dock. So that is multitasking. We've been using it a lot and it changes the way you use the iPhone."

StoOgE

StoOgE said:
Save states?

Nothing showed real multitasking.. I would have prefered he bring up something like last.fm and switched off to see what happened.

well, pandora, I guess that will work.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Might get real multitasking for audio sink and shit like that, apart from that though, I'd say it's "magic", if you know what I mean..

"Very simple, very very simple.” Applause. Opens eBay app, “I’m right to where I left off.” Tap Tap Revenge: “Alright, I’m not winning here.” He’s moving back and forth between apps fairly quickly, but we’re not seeing how this is actually multitasking though — what Steve is showing right now is just app switching.

“We’re providing seven multitasking services. First: background audio streaming.” Talking about Pandora — exactly who should be getting this first! “Pandora is great, but until now if you left Pandora to go to another app, the music would stop.” Not anymore!

LCfiner

Here's an actual surprise for me:

Until now, if you left the app to go to another one, the music stopped. No longer. Pandora can continue to play music in the background while you switch to apps. And you can use a controller in the lock screen to control Pandora." Pandora's Tim Westergren is up.

that's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom