• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 4 Event - April 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
iphone-os-4-0150-rm-eng.jpg

ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME!

Pandora still plays when you hit home....

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Ah, separated multi-tasking into 7 services so you can background certain aspects of your app vs. the whole thing.

That makes more sense.

giga

Pandora only needs to use the background audio process to run this. And, you can use the iPod controls in the lock screen to control Pandora. Here’s a demo from Pandora’s founder, Tim Westergren.

Love.

Jasoco

Banned
Where are you people seeing screenshots of the UI? All I've seen are slides from this thread of icons about features and that Pandora thing. Where's the new Dock?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
giga said:
Combination of save states and background services APIs. Smart.

seems to be the case. Probably will be extremely selective about what apps get to use the background services as well.

Spy

It seems like Apple just shut down the smartphone competition once again and I'm not even an Apple fan.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Darko said:
10:22AM "It took us one day to make Pandora fully background aware on the iPhone."

:lol
qXehA.gif

You need to reloop this avatar so that it removes the "Claire attempting to stab part" so it looks like Kate is getting railed.

...oh my god...

gimmmick

For us android / webos users... anyone else find this really bland as well? Hopefully more useful info will come into to play.

Gary Whitta said:
2008 when multi-tasking implementation/performance was shitty and murdered your battery? I'll pass.

Blackberry and Symbian say lol.

Android also says whatsup.

webOS agrees though :(

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
thewesker said:
Apple fans: It's now OK to like multitasking.
Essentially. We'll soon have flowery rhetoric on why new found Apple's multitasking prowess seals the fate on Microsoft's close-minded approach (currently) to multitasking.

That is a pretty crap multitasking implementation in terms of XD.

I would hope a more sophisticated implementation will be demoed for the ipad later as this would be a waste on such a huge screen.

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
2008 when multi-tasking implementation/performance was shitty and murdered your battery? I'll pass.

:lol Sure, only Apple can do it right. Everyone else has shitty multi-tasking.

Marty Chinn said:
Some even defended it on the iPad saying they like being restricted to one app and not being able to multitask.

Yeah; that was a bullshit argument; but the problem was the performance trade-off which they have hopefully resolved.

Maybe I need to understand how multitasking works more, but this quote bothers me:

"It took us one day to make Pandora fully background aware on the iPhone."

Spy said:
It seems like Apple just shut down the smartphone competition once again and I'm not even an Apple fan.

lol are you serious? Because they finally multitask? It's just a prettier version of the way Android manages it, and nowhere near as nice as how webOS handles multitasking. They just caught up, that's all.

Everyone saying that Palm and Android already do multitasking, yes, we know that. And Steve even said as much on stage. We get it. Apple isn't the first to do multi. We don't care if they're first and they're not saying that they are. Simply that it is here. Finally. Get over it an d move on to what ever your next anti-iPhone rant is.

Barrett2

Multitasking was a prerequisite to me buying an iPad. I might actually pick one up now.

Also, lol at the people who defended a no multi-tasking tablet computer.

giga

Marty Chinn said:
Maybe I need to understand how multitasking works more, but this quote bothers me:

There’s 7 different APIs for developers to use. Pandora is using the new background audio API with iPod controls.

lawblob said:
Multitasking was a prerequisite to me buying an iPad. I might actually pick one up now.

Also, lol at the people who defended a no multi-tasking tablet computer.
Agreed. Definitely interests me more than before. May wait for a price drop, though.

Also, I really hope new notification system is part of the "tentpoles".

mrkgoo

Sounds like the multitasking APIs are minimal - for example Pandora app has an "Audio multitasking API', which pumps out the audio only (and connection), so that everything else to do with the app isn't running.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
They basically set up realtime background sinks for specific purposes like lock screen interaction or whatever, the rest is just frozen, as one would expect from a mobile device, really.

LCfiner

I'm still seeing a blue box on the lock screen like old fashioned 3.0. If notifications don't change in 4.0 I will be disappoint(ed)

iphone-os-4-0165-rm-eng.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I don't care what people do with their phones, but Apple does. As Tobor said, they're not going to deal with the problems that come up. A good example against it would be how every GAF "my Firefox is broken or weird" thread gets solved when they figure out what extension messed up.

I think customizing the app loader is stupid, but I don't care if someone jailbreaks to do it for their own device.
In any case, as I mentioned before, I don't even care that much about that kind of customization. I want the customization to happen on unlock screen, even if it's just with apple-sanctioned elements only, with no 3rd party stuff.

Marty Chinn said:

It seems apps move to a different state when not in use instead of just moving into the background and eating up power

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Everyone saying that Palm and Android already do multitasking, yes, we know that. And Steve even said as much on stage. We get it. Apple isn't the first to do multi. We don't care if they're first and they're not saying that they are. Simply that it is here. Finally. Get over it an d move on to what ever your next anti-iPhone rant is.
IPHONE ISNT AN OPEN PLATFORM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom