• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 4 Event - April 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i'll wait for developers to chime later on the how, why and if Apple's implementation is better than the rest. considering how long it took to implement i'd imagine the multitasking APIs are made of kittens and roses.

DarkJC

Marty Chinn said:
Maybe I need to understand how multitasking works more, but this quote bothers me:

"It took us one day to make Pandora fully background aware on the iPhone."

Apps aren't just running constantly in the background still. Instead they have access to services that have the ability to run in the background. The app has to be setup to use those services.

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Some even defended it on the iPad saying they like being restricted to one app and not being able to multitask.

They hate what Steve tells them to hate and love what he tells them to love.

Double D

*Xzibit walks on stage*

"With Multi-tasking and the skype app, you can now make a phone call while making a phone call!"

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
mrkgoo said:
Sounds like the multitasking APIs are minimal - for example Pandora app has an "Audio multitasking API', which pumps out the audio only (and connection), so that everything else to do with the app isn't running.
I imagine the 7 services should cover almost all use cases where you'd want to run one application in the background for others.

They could have just done the music one and it'd cover like 75% of everyone's needs, but apparently it's going to cover other stuff as well.

Implementation makes sense, but I need to see the UI for this. How do you stop backgrounding stuff? How do you start?

Ugh, the notification system doesn't look like it has changed =(

Also doesn't look like they're using the lock screen for anything meaningful still.

fireside

derFeef said:
I like how they talk about it as they invented multitasking :lol
Still good news.
Steve: Now we weren't the first to this party, but we're gonna be the best. Just like cut and paste.

They're a company, of course they're going to be a little arrogant.

LCfiner

More blue box modal popups.

iphone-os-4-0169-rm-eng.jpg

I think I'll be the one dude disappointed by this event since I care more about fixing notifications than about multitasking and wallpapers :lol

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Everyone saying that Palm and Android already do multitasking, yes, we know that. And Steve even said as much on stage. We get it. Apple isn't the first to do multi. We don't care if they're first and they're not saying that they are. Simply that it is here. Finally. Get over it an d move on to what ever your next anti-iPhone rant is.

"You're only allowed to praise Apple's method of multitasking and say they murdered the competition. If you say it's similar or worse than the competition, you are a troll and are on a rant and I'm judging you."

It's a discussion, dude. Get over it.

edgefusion

Don't tell me the 7 features they're going to show are the 7 different ways you can multi-task. Okay Multi-tasking is in, get on to something else cool!

DarkJC said:
Apps aren't just running constantly in the background still. Instead they have access to services that have the ability to run in the background. The app has to be setup to use those services.

The fact that every app needs to now be updated in order to work with multitasking sounds bothersome to me. Cuz now I have to rely on a developer to update their stuff for existing apps that I have. It kinda sucks if this is the case and what you're saying is confirming what I'm thinking.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Stat Flow said:
I was going to be ordering my iPad today, and this multitasking will be coming to it as well?
Don't know.
Marty Chinn said:
The fact that every app needs to now be updated in order to work with multitasking sounds bothersome to me. Cuz now I have to rely on a developer to update their stuff for existing apps that I have. It kinda sucks if this is the case and what you're saying is confirming what I'm thinking.
The end result of this new method is apparently more efficient multi-tasking instead of some clunky form of multi-tasking.

Everyone benefits...and developers have to do minimal effort to make it work (1 day of dev for Pandora).

gcubed

So VOIP. The next service is background location. There are two classes of apps that want to use this -- turn by turn, like TomTom. These always want to know where you are so they can provide directions. Now you can get them in the background, you can even listen to music, and it's still giving you directions."

zomg revolutionary!

here's a question, whats the role of the background API's? Can you say, listen to Pandora while getting GPS directions?

gimmmick

Spy said:
Not joking, multitasking was the only thing other smartphones had going for them over the iPhone.

I guess the open platform of other os pretty much ment nothing as well?

neojubei said:
Wonder if this new OS will switch the search engine to Bing

I want to know this as well. Probably not, but it would be interesting.

Spy said:
Not joking, multitasking was the only thing other smartphones had going for them over the iPhone.

This is bait. I'm not going to bite and derail this thread. I'll just say it's cute that you think that, because factually, this is false.

I think Pandora and the like are the only thing that's going to benefit me with multitasking. I only play short little games like Flight HD so I don't need save states or anything. Still good for those who need it.

It's funny seeing some of you act like all Apple fans change their mind. Just because some people said they were good without certain features doesn't mean others were. Just got to think logically for a moment. :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Spy said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Blackhead

Redarse
LCfiner said:

I think I'll be the one dude disappointed by this event since I care more about fixing notifications than about multitasking and wallpapers :lol
Not just you actually :( although Skype seemed to have included some alerts for the voip

multitasking matters more for ipad but for my phone notifications is just as important

impirius

It's nice that the peanut gallery is getting their LOLs in!

Meanwhile, this is exactly the type of approach I was hoping Apple would take with iPhone OS multitasking, as long as one of the API hooks is a "network" hook for IRC, IM, etc.

I am disappointed that they didn't overhaul notifications, though. Looks like we're stuck with the blue modal boxes for another year!

fireside

Marty Chinn said:
Well considering multitasking will only be enabled in iPhone OS 4 and that's not coming out until summer what's the problem? Any app that needs multitasking will have it by then.

LCfiner said:

I like how the 4th API IS fixing push notifications!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom