• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 4 Event - April 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Their water-droplet background makes all their cool new features look ugly

gcubed

i love how they are using busy backgrounds in the presentation. LKBP is probably in the corner convulsing somewhere

This update looks like they looked at the top 10 jailbreak apps; Not that I mind...

Backgrounder - check
Categories - check
Theme - OK, not really, but a tiny bit of customization

Next up?

Lockscreen widgets?
???
Better notifications (Not a jailbreak, I just really want it)

Keyser Soze said:
Folders!!

apple-iphone-os4_141.jpg

Steve Jobs is finally delivering the OS i've wanted. Also, I actually like the notifications.

Piano

Banned
Folders...again, just like on Android :\
I don't know, I guess I expected more of a UI shake-up, especially since Apple bitches about Android 'copying' their ideas. Was hoping they'd do something new to the grid of icons.

jonnybryce said:
"You're only allowed to praise Apple's method of multitasking and say they murdered the competition. If you say it's similar or worse than the competition, you are a troll and are on a rant and I'm judging you."

It's a discussion, dude. Get over it.

I don't know enough to praise or criticize Apple's multitasking, and that's not what I"m saying. But the posts of "Android did that already" and "Welcome to 2008" are kind of old. We know that the iPhone is late to the multitasking party. No one questions that. We're just glad that it will be able to do it soon.

Really landing blows here on the main limitations of the UI. If flash comes in that will be an uber megaton but Apple's (and Googles) war against adobe seems to still be raging.

celebi23

You can put the folder in the "dock" too :D So, it's like Stacks on your Mac OS X Dock :D Fucking win

with Folders, you can now have 2160 apps :D :D :D :D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
TheHeretic said:
Really landing blows here on the main limitations of the UI. If flash comes in that will be an uber megaton but Apple's (and Googles) war against adobe seems to still be raging.
0% chance of this happening.

Ecstatic said:
Apple deprived it's loyal fans of the most basic features, folders?

For fucks sake, seriously?

As much as I love Apple, they seriously hold shit back. Still, if this is a free update for my existing 3GS I can't really complain.

EDIT: My ebay iPad just shipped!!!

i was gonna predict stacks...but folder works too

kinda letdown by multitasking, other then background audio and location it seems just like a save state

sonycowboy said:
This update looks like they looked at the top 10 jailbreak apps; Not that I mind...

Backgrounder - check
Categories - check
Theme - OK, not really, but a tiny bit of customization

Next up?

Lockscreen widgets?
???
Better notifications (Not a jailbreak, I just really want it)

I need an SBSettings equivalent, or something to easily turn off landscape mode.

Jasoco

Banned
My excitement was bottom-paged, but I still say fuck yeah for folders.

Also, tell me wallpaper isn't the third "tentpole". I want more. Wallpaper should have been there from the start. Edit: Nope. Mail is third. Meh. Don't care.

Dazzla

More than one exchange account, thank god!

I have my exchange account tied up with google (for contacts and calendar) so I have to use IMAP for work, exchange for work is much better.

“The first: a unified inbox. Customers have really wanted this.” Yeah, like this guy right here! “And, we’ve made it so you can have more than one Exchange account, as well. If you want to focus on just one account, we’ve added fast inbox switching.£

celebi23

Jasoco said:
My excitement was bottom-paged, but I still say fuck yeah for folders.

Also, tell me wallpaper isn't the third "tentpole". I want more. Wallpaper should have been there from the start.

Unified eMail inbox is #3 :lol

Trouble

Banned
Dazzla said:
More than one exchange account, thank god!

I have my exchange account tied up with google (for contacts and calendar) so I have to use IMAP for work, exchange for work is much better.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! :D :D :D :D

Meier

Meier said:
Gizmodo blog says you have a custom notification so that it sounds like a regular Skype ring. Does that mean we'll be able to have custom sounds for texts, etc. too?
Anybody? Did I miss this?

Frostburn

Kagari said:
I agree, multitasking on my HTC Touch Pro is so fast it makes me want to throw my phone against a brick wall. My iPod touch loads most apps almost instantly, other then the examples they've shown today there isn't much need for true multitasking when the UI is fast and responsive.

tfur

PSGames said:
:lol Keep telling yourself that.

Android actually does real multitasking. If you have to make and API for multitasking, then it should really be defined as "multitasking" or multitasking*.

Charred Greyface said:
What's with that bubble background Apple is using.

Seriously, Apple usually chooses cool wallpapers that people want, this is just some tacky bubble shit. Surprised they picked this.

Unified inbox. I'm more surprised that Jobs was willing to give this away in a reply to a consumer email about a week ago than the fact that this has come to iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom