• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's going to be hot out N.E. US GAF. Stay inside with AC if you can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/hot-humid-august-northeast-megalopolis

map_specnewsdct-21_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

Another spell of extreme discomfort is in store for those who live around the major metro areas of the Northeast through the upcoming weekend, when hot temperatures and elevated humidity levels will combine to send the heat index into the danger zone.

High temperatures will generally range from 5 to 15 degrees warmer than average for this time in August from New England down through the mid-Atlantic region. In addition, a surge of moisture, on the heels of a southwesterly wind flow, will increase humidity levels and make it feel even hotter.

The National Weather Service has already issued various heat alerts, including heat advisories and excessive heat watches, and excessive heat warnings for parts of the Northeast, including Boston, New York City, Philadelphia and the Baltimore-Washington D.C. area.

Washington D.C. and Philadelphia will see high temperatures in the mid-90s through the weekend.

An excessive heat warning is in effect for the metro Philadelphia area through Sunday, where the heat index (how hot it feels) could approach 110 degrees in the afternoon hours. Baltimore and Washington D.C. are under a heat advisory Friday and an excessive heat watch Saturday. heat index values of 105-110 degrees are expected during the afternoon hours, as well.

An excessive heat warning is in effect for the New York City metro area through Saturday evening and an excessive heat watch is in effect from Saturday morning through Sunday evening. A heat advisory is also in effect for Boston and Hartford, Connecticut.

High temperatures in New York City are expected to reach the mid 90s, and the heat index could range from 105-110 degrees in the afternoon hours. Hartford will see highs in the mid-90s with heat indices above 100 degrees.

For the Boston metro area, Friday's high temperature will also reach the mid 90s before cooling of on Saturday and returning to the mid 90s on Sunday, with heat indices above 100 degrees on Friday and Sunday.

The high temperature in New York City could approach or break daily records on Friday and Saturday. Daily records will also be threatened Saturday in Hartford and Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Also, with so much moisture in the air, the heat of the day is trapped by clouds and moisture, so low temperatures in the New York City to Richmond, Virginia, corridor will only fall to around 80 degrees.

I feel so bad for the poor and those without AC.

Matty77

New England here and yeah it's horrible. Thought I was going to die yesterday. And my AC is not working right.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
heat index values of 105-110 degrees are expected during the afternoon hours, as well.

[...]

lows of 80s

Florida and SoCal: *laughs*

Man, it's a hot one
Like seven inches from the midday sun
Well, I hear you whisper and the words melt everyone
But you stay so cool

The Orange line car on the T this morning that I just so happened to be riding didn't have AC. What it HAD was someone that didn't wear deodorant.

I've never been happier to get to my place of work.

Eidan

I'm going to be spending the next week at a resort in Laguna Beach.

Stay cool, DC, you fucking hellhole.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'm an Arizona Native and I was going to say 110 ain't shit! But I feel for those in places that have high heat and high humidity. I was in Tennessee one year and I thought I was going to die.

Yeah, the temperature is one thing, but the humidity is what makes it feel like you want to curl up in a ball and die.

The heat index in midtown Manhattan right now is ~103F/39.5C. I get half days at work on Fridays and I'm considering just staying until 5 because *screw* the subway right now. This morning they were like ovens.

ChouGoku

I'm in NJ right now for work and its hot as fuck and humid as all hell. I can't wait to go back to hot ass (but not humid) Colorado.

jbug617

Banned
100 degrees in NYC is exponentially more hellish than 125 in Southern California.

The humidity absolutely destroys you.

It's all the buildings in the city. The heat has no way to escape. I remember all those times visiting family in the Bronx during the Summer.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm an Arizona Native and I was going to say 110 ain't shit! But I feel for those in places that have high heat and high humidity. I was in Tennessee one year and I thought I was going to die.

110 and humid is a literal hell. What are you talking about.

DC here and all this week has been hot as hell. Tomorrow I'm going outside to the rooftop pool at my building. It's 23 stories up so there's always a breeze even when it's this hot, and they keep that pool water like 40 fucking degrees. Going to get some color tomorrow brehs.

the humidity in NYC has been the worst in the 7 years i've been here. can't go from house to train to office without getting soaked.

Philia

Yep. I've lived in Texas all my young life and I can deal with steaming hot cars in 105 DRY (I'll put it here again) DRY AF heat and I'll STILL take that over than fucking 90 degrees and 105% humidity here in Virginia.

Humidity is where your skin want to SLOUGH off, not burn off. Dry heat is nothing compared to the jungle temperatures.

aliengmr

Lmao hot? Hot? Try southern cali where we get up to 125.

Not even close. SoCal humidity is nothing in comparison to the east coast hellscape. A layover in Jersey was enough to make me question people's sanity for actually living there. I literally could not do it.

Thank goodness for Colorado, fuck humidity.

I love when the people from other areas where's its normally hot as fuck just have to chime in.

When I have visited these areas, the people in general don't seem to like the weather either and spend 90% of their day in air conditioning.

Up here, we enjoy going outside most of the time.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
This weather sucks. I've got to take it easier on my clients, even though I have a few that really want to push it. Plus, I have my own workouts to deal with.

WedgeX

Banned
For some reason I decided to walk to the grocery store today.

D6ypHaK.jpg

It was, uh, toasty.

Edit:

I hope for my former clients sake that the weather alert in DC is on and that the homeless shelters are cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom