• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY GAF: It's hot out and humid

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Posted 4 hours ago
Oppressive heat and humidity through the weekend.

Excessive Heat Warning remains in effect until 10 PM EDT Sunday.

Heat Index values today, 105 to 110 degrees.
Heat Index values Sunday, around 105 degrees.
Timing: Highest heat indices in the mid to late afternoon.

Oh, boy I haven't had heat like this since I was a kid back in Texas.

Source

Stay cold NY GAF and hydrated.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Its very nasty. I feel like an old bum is breathing on top of me.

Walking to the subway, then being on the platform waiting 10 minutes for the train was straight up horrible. My sweat was going thru my khaki pants and I know my ass was all wet lol. It was pretty embarrassing walking around like that.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Its very nasty. I feel like an old bum is breathing on top of me.

Walkong the the subway, then being on the platform waiting 10 minutes for the train was straight up horrible. My sweat was going thru my khaki pants and I know my ass was all wet lol. It was pretty embarrassing walking around like that.

At least everyone else is probably not n the same boat.

Too far up North for this bullshit heat. Need winter asap.

Edit:

The rest of the weekend is gonna suck too =C

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Effing brutal here. I pray for the elderly. We always lose some in heat like this.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Effing brutal here. I pray for the elderly. We always lose some in heat like this.

Its crazy what a bitch Global Warming is.

And here I just checked out the temp in Texas where I grew up.

It is supposed o be I the low 80s high 70s all week there wtf...

Zeta Oni

It's absolutely disgusting outside, it's like the air has weight pushing on you from every angle possible.

We actually had a hot and humid thunderstorm where I am a few days ago, because of the heat.

Lighting came down and hit a tree a few people tried to take cover under (which is a terrible idea), and I believe 4 people are now in critical condition because of it.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Tomorrow is supposed to be worse with a high of 97F.

Humidity puts the feels like temp around 105-110F.

This is basically me right now.

e2qw3d7.jpg

Darklor01

Its crazy what a bitch Global Warming is.

And here I just checked out the temp in Texas where I grew up.

It is supposed o be I the low 80s high 70s all week there wtf...

I though Il Nina was supposed to keep summer cooler here and make winter brutal this year... Did it change and go the other way?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I though Il Nina was supposed to keep summer cooler here and make winter brutal this year... Did it change and go the other way?

Global Warming man, nothing works like it is predicted to anymore.

Won't be surprised if this year's winter is even worse than last year's. Since GW causes extremes in the spectrum.

Ovid

Global Warming man, nothing works like it is predicted to anymore.

Won't be surprised if this year's winter is even worse than last year's. Since GW causes extremes in the spectrum.
Worse in the sense that it's extremely mild right?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at work, but I have a feeling its going to be a slow day.

I feel sorry for all these people that work at outdoor bar/restaurants.

RIP to them.

I'm talking more about extremes.

So while the winter may be mild I wouldn't be surprised if we see more extreme weather swings compared to last year.

Darklor01

The theory with il Nina is that it would defeat El Niño. So, possible either way. It said if we had a super hot summer winter should be mild.! If we had a mild summer, winter would be hell. The south would be cooler than the North in the scenario where summer is hell. So, mild winter is possible.

BokehKing

Banned
Been down at the beach since 6 a.m GAF
Don't even need a towel, been in and out of the water 6 times already and this heat dries you off in seconds

xNsgajh.jpg

Yeah I went to the dog park as early as possible this morning to get his energy out. Seems a lot of people had the same idea. On the way back I was sweating buckets ugh

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Yesterday I trekked down to Red Hook to eat at Hometown BBQ in the blazing heat, never again. (the food was totally worth it though)

SDCowboy

I always love when north easterners complain about temps in the 90's. That's just a regular summer day out west. Hell, come September, that cool! lol :p

Watch how winter is going to be mild again smh shit better be fucking freezing this time around.

I lived in the Caribbean for a decade I don't need this heat lol

I always love when north easterners complain about temps in the 90's. That's just a regular summer day out west. Hell, come September, that cool! lol :p

NYC is different. When it hits a humid 90 than its like you're trapped in a concrete sweatbox. It's hard to breathe. Also it felt like it must have been 110 yesteday

SDCowboy

NYC is different. When it hits a humid 90 than its like you're trapped in a concrete sweatbox. It's hard to breathe

And out west we're in the desert climate where it holds the temperature longer and hotter. Bottom line, heat waves happen. Frequently. Every summer. I don't get why it continues to catch people off guard.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
NYC is different. When it hits a humid 90 than its like you're trapped in a concrete sweatbox. It's hard to breathe

Yeah I grew up down near the Galveston area till I graduated highschool and today's heat/humidity is exactly like back there.

Miserable.
And out west we're in the desert climate where it holds the temperature longer and hotter. Bottom line, heat waves happen. Frequently. Every summer. I don't get why it continues to catch people off guard.

Sorry, but I'll take 110F any day over 90F + 100% humidity.

They aren't comparable at all. Dry heat is so much better.

Gallbaro

Banned
Yeah I grew up down near the Galveston area till I graduated highschool and today's heat/humidity is exactly like back there.

Miserable.
Except you are outside, not in a car.

As you shuffle from your air conditioned house, to your air-conditioned car, to your air-conditioned place of work, to your air-conditioned car, to your air-conditioned house.

I didn't want to get out of my car.

Glasses fogged the hell up as soon as I got out, lol.

Fortunately the AC is fixed at work so the day shouldn't be too bad.

entremet

It's actually in the 80s today in Houston though.

Also Houston is a shitjoke don't know why anyone lives there. (Rhetorical)

Houston beat NYC handily in a recent best places to live ranking.

I'm a NYC homer too and prefer it, but cost of living in Houston is nice.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Houston beat NYC handily in a recent best places to live ranking.

I'm a NYC homer too and prefer it, but cost of living in Houston is nice.

The cost of living is the only good thing about Houston or Texas in general minus San Antonio and Austin.

It is one of the worst cities to live in, visit ect..

entremet

The cost of living is the only good thing about Houston or Texas in general minus San Antonio and Austin.

It is one of the worst cities to live in, visit ect..

I would agree. I prefer DFW/Austin in terms of Texas cities.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah it is. I don't mind it though. This is child's play compared to down south though. You know how we are always making fun of the south for their stupid 1inch snow emergencies? I'm determined that I won't be a hypocrite and whine about how hot 90 degree weather is.

But seriously, stay hydrated. I tried to golf yesterday and I failed pretty miserably.

SDCowboy

Sorry, but I'll take 110F any day over 90F + 100% humidity.

They aren't comparable at all. Dry heat is so much better.

Unfortunately this summer here has been brutally humid. Right now, at not even 7am, it feels like I'm in a steam room. lol

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
NJ's also been awful with the heat and humidity lately. It's not fun.

SeanR1221

Philly gaf reporting in. It's hot but it doesn't bother me. I'd take this over the cold any day. Great way to wear a tank top and feel the sun on your skin.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it is. I don't mind it though. This is child's play compared to down south though. You know how we are always making fun of the south for their stupid 1inch snow emergencies? I'm determined that I won't be a hypocrite and whine about how hot 90 degree weather is.

But seriously, stay hydrated. I tried to golf yesterday and I failed pretty miserably.

It's actually pretty much the same as down south. (I grew up down near Galveston)

The only noticeable difference is down south you drive everywhere in NYC you walk.
Philly gaf reporting in. It's hot but it doesn't bother me. I'd take this over the cold any day. Great way to wear a tank top and feel the sun on your skin.

Just saw that Philly is gonna hit around 100F, stay strong.

Penguin

Sadly some friends in town

So what are some well air conditioned indoor things to do.. Aside from eat, drink and museums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom