• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY GAF: It's hot out and humid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alric

Aren't they still doing that street thing this weekend. I was surprised when NPR said it was still on. Way too brutal outside to be out there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Basically the same in Toronto the last week. It's 'cooled off' this weekend into the 28c/80f range (not including the humidex), but the air is still basically soup, so it's miserable to be outside. I grew up in Northern California with 100f+ being the norm in the Summer, but it was a lovely, bright sun with dry heat. This 80f and humid is misery.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Basically the same in Toronto the last week. It's 'cooled off' this weekend into the 28c/80f range (not including the humidex), but the air is still basically soup, so it's miserable to be outside. I grew up in Northern California with 100f+ being the norm in the Summer, but it was a lovely, bright sun with dry heat. This 80f and humid is misery.

Like I said earlier I'd take a 110F over this 95F + Humidity any day of the week.

Dry heat is so much better than sticky moist humidity.

GiJoccin

Just ran/walked 10 miles. Lots of people at summer streets.

Holy crap I got sweaty!

Now to huddle inside by the A/C the rest of the day.

Tehalemi

Its very nasty. I feel like an old bum is breathing on top of me.

Walking to the subway, then being on the platform waiting 10 minutes for the train was straight up horrible. My sweat was going thru my khaki pants and I know my ass was all wet lol. It was pretty embarrassing walking around like that.

Dude, this! Waiting for the train back home at 51st St. felt like I was losing bone mass! xD

hvCbmV3.gif

TheExodu5

Banned
I always love when north easterners complain about temps in the 90's. That's just a regular summer day out west. Hell, come September, that cool! lol :p

Desert heat is not the same thing as humid heat.

When the temperature is in the mid to high 90's and the humidity approaches 100%, your body can no longer sweat. It's actually incredibly dangerous and hazardous.

Harpuia

Im in a well AC'd building right now. I stepped outside to take a call and touched a handrail. Felt like it was an oven. The sun is intense right now. My skin felt like it was glowing after I went back in.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's been like that in Toronto for the past few days. Today it'll be 30C but feel like 42C.

We were in the same boat in Ottawa for a while. We're in luck today...it's raining all day and cooling down a bit. Still 29C all week and humid as he'll...but a bit better than last week.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

When the temperature is in the mid to high 90's and the humidity approaches 100%, your body can no longer sweat. It's actually incredibly dangerous and hazardous.

Preach it. I don't get why people never seem to grasp the concept of humidity in relation to dry heat.

xkramz

Also American roaches. "Fly" only when the temp is hot and super humid.

They have wings but they don't use em

I was out all night last night and am going to be out all of today and I don't think it's that bad. I kinda like it!

Nice and warm.

SDCowboy

You do realize out west we have monsoon season where it's super humid, right? The desert west isn't super dry year-round.

Preach it. I don't get why people never seem to grasp the concept of humidity in relation to dry heat.

Why do people not grasp that the desert west is not dry year-round? It can be super humid (as it is lately).

Fuchsdh

Fourth floor walkup, no A/C, all westward facing windows. Encourages me to get out of the house and walk around outside because it feels cooler in comparison.

RIP Cipher Peon
I prefer the heat and it's the last hooray because I go back upstate in a week and then suffer an entire year of freezing my butt off and wishing it wasn't so cold out.

It also means I won't have much time to show off my summer wardrobe anymore, because I'll have to be all bundled up soon anyway. I love my summer leather jacket too much, I don't want to go to my winter jacket ;-;

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
You do realize out west we have monsoon season where it's super humid, right? The desert west isn't super dry year-round.

Why do people not grasp that the desert west is not dry year-round? It can be super humid (as it is lately).

Because in general it is not humid, just like in general if you live near the water on the east coast; NYC, Galveston ect.. you usually have humidity.

Edit:

I can always tell when it is super humid as my hair turns into a frizzy, poofy mess. Should have preemptively uses some moose or something.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
We were in the same boat in Ottawa for a while. We're in luck today...it's raining all day and cooling down a bit. Still 29C all week and humid as he'll...but a bit better than last week.

Well, it's supposed to rain today but it hasn't really done it yet. And it's not actually going to cool anything off. Tonight it's supposed to feel like 37C.

krazen

Always one of you guys, it's like you never heard of humidity before.

Man, My girlfriends from Cali and we live in NY. Always complains about how 'cold' it is when it's like 75 degrees. Then the humidity hit; she went to an outdoor show on thursday and all I have is a string of texts complaining on how unbearably hot it was and it was only technically 90 that day, LOL.

I can do a Vegas 105 degrees easily in comparison to dealing with NYC humidity even in the 80's. At least in a dry heat shade works and you can catch a breeze. When its humid THERE IS NO ESCAPE

tumblr_na1knn99jW1scfs1yo1_400.gif

ATF487

Was awful in Boston the past two days but we have a weird reprieve right now, currently low 70s outside, with tomorrow being a high of 97. I think I'll go for a run today instead...

If these heat waves are going to be more common I have to get the fuck out of here

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The Sun is hidden away right now, not bad not bad at all.

I love it. It epitomizes the end of summer/August to me.

It isn't even halfway through August yet brah!?

It sucks. I crashed at this chicks place last night and decided this morning I'd just walk home. I about died

How early did you leave? It wasn't t bad out at 5am, but closer to 8am and I was like fuck this.

Because they dont know what it feels like. I spent a summer in Sacramento 11 years ago and the news was crying about 110 degree weather, man I walked around like it was nothing. Humidity is the worst.....the worst!

Its starting to remind me why fall and winter are my favorite times of the year around here... At least when it gets too cold you can just throw on a few dozen extra layers, crank the heat, or light something on fire. There's only so much you can take off when it's this hot/humid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom