• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane the Virgin S2 |OT| Mex Education

Loved the first season, it's gone steadily downhill since. There are still bits of genius, but it's getting few and far between.

Personally, I'm Team Rafael. Michael constantly acted like a creeper in the first season and that soured me for good. Only good thing about him was his bromance with Rogelio.

I'm with you on all counts. I also wonder if there's just too many episodes per season. I feel like a crisper, tighter, less meandering experience would benefit everyone involved...

But yes, Team Rafael for life.

Michael was terrible.

There really wasn't any chemistry there, either - not like with Raf.

Linkura

I'm with you on all counts. I also wonder if there's just too many episodes per season. I feel like a crisper, tighter, less meandering experience would benefit everyone involved...

But yes, Team Rafael for life.

Michael was terrible.

There really wasn't any chemistry there, either - not like with Raf.

The episode where Rafael and Jane get together really sold me on the show. Their chemistry was so cute. I think it was Ep 6?

TripOpt55

I've really enjoyed these last two episodes. I'm a sucker for a good time jump and really like how they've handled things. It was fun to see where everyone was at a few years on.

Blackhead

Redarse
Excellent episode. I groaned at the end though, what with the modified building plans (again!) and discovered dead body (again!!), but it wouldn't be Jane the Virgin Widow without a Telenovela Twist

ZeroX03

Banned
She has chemistry with both of them dummies.

Besides if you were Team Rafael you should've dug this episode. He was in mister perfect mode and the narrator did mention his girlfriend was forgettable. Maybe she changed the plans!?

Really liked the episode as a whole, shame that Rogelio didn't work out with Darci. She's much better than Bruce but I guess Rogelio probably won't have a kid with anyone but Xo, if at all. Really nice that Rogelio putting other people first has stuck with him. Deft touch with Alba too seeing as she lost Mateo Sr at a reasonably young age as well (before Jane was born).

I will say it was pretty weird to do a season's worth of build up on a book about Alba to switch it to Michael. I get that they kind of had to but still... also Jane's narration is the same as our narrators!

Oh and Petra being Queen of Everything now is fabulous.

I also wonder if there's just too many episodes per season.

This one has two less episodes, not that it'll make a huge difference.

Linkura

Characters I like after the time skip:
-Rafael, Petra, Xiomara, and Alba. Oh and I guess the twins. You can really tell Rafael and Petra have grown a ton in three years.

Characters I don't like after the time skip:
-Everyone else. It really irked me that Jane was so hesitant to get real help for Mateo, wo so desperately needs it, and that she doesn't know how to properly talk to her boss after three fucking years on the job. Despite everything, it really seems like Jane hasn't grown up at all. Rogelio is a fucking asshole for staying on with the show after they made Xiomara a villain, and even more of an asshole for taking Xo up on her offer to let him continue the show. I don't care if she's "strong enough." Mateo is annoying, but it's obvious he has real problems so I guess I can't really blame the character.

Edit: Also I mistook Minka Kelly for Eliza Dushku wtf is wrong with me.

Gin-Shiio

Pretty weak episode overall, but it's hard to follow in the last's footsteps. I still cannot bring myself to care about Xiomara. I thought the reaction over Rogelio's show was blown way out of proportions at first, but now I can understand if that was simply not how she was promised to be portrayed. Even so, you would think Xiomara of all people would know that mistakes can be made and be more forgiving.

Caught up finally, although my goddamn motherfucking friend ruined the twist beforehand. RIP Michael and the bromance w/ Rogelio. Team Rafael all the way, but man that was still hard to watch.

Speaking of whom, Rafael and Petra have been great this season. Rogelio has always been a dense dude, but staying on that show after they portrayed Xo as the villain soured me on him

Linkura

This episode was painful. 3 years later and Jane seems even less mature than before. Rogelio turned into an asshole. Maybe I should call it quits. :(

ZeroX03

Banned
I realized we haven't seen Rogelio's reaction to Michael's death. Feels like it'd crush him to lose his best friend.

Man fuck this show

I know they foreshadowed his death with narration a season or two ago but this just felt like a total asspull

I guess it bothers me more cause I thought Michael was fun and it was nice seeing a show build up to a couple getting married and seeing them deal with all the issues that happen after that

Linkura

Man fuck this show

I know they foreshadowed his death with narration a season or two ago but this just felt like a total asspull

I guess it bothers me more cause I thought Michael was fun and it was nice seeing a show build up to a couple getting married and seeing them deal with all the issues that happen after that

From what the creator said, it sounds like they wanted to kill him off earlier, but didn't because the people on the show and the fans liked him too much.

I'm more pissed off about the character assassination of Rogelio and Jane's stupidity more than Michael being gone. I thought the show would get better with Michael gone, but it's gotten worse. I'm done watching. Might read episode synopses to keep up with the overall story, but I'm not wasting an hour a week of my time on this anymore when 80% of the show is bad or boring to me.

Gin-Shiio

Jane still burning bridges. She really cannot help herself, can she? This is what makes her the least likeable character on the show next to Xiomara. And they all jumped on Rogelio over Xiomara's portayal in his reality show, but Jane would have written Raphael as the villain in her novel? Come on.

Goodstyle

Eh episode. Really sold me on Bruce and Drunk Petra though.

Same.

I still love the show, but there are three things that are undeniably true:

1) Rogelio's reality show plotline is dead on arrival. Seriously, it sucks. No one cares anymore, we can't be going over the same ground over and over again with him and Xo.

2) Chuck is bad. Real bad. He's not a good love interest for Petra. They have no chemistry and the actor feels like he's from a different dimension. They should just hook Petra up with Raf already, they're the best pairing on the show and it'd be nice to give them what Jane and Michael had.

3) Jane and Raf work REALLY well as friends. Leading them down another romantic subplot could really damage the show.

I like that Michael died, I like that there was a time skip, but there are some undeniable issues that need addressing with this show. We need a steady regimen of Rafetra plotlines, and a defib on Rogelio and Xo's stories, and then we'll be good.

Also, where the hell is Lina?!

Linkura

I tried watching a couple of episodes after Michael and it just isn't the show it was before. I'm done with the show.

Me too. I don't stan Michael like you do, but they lost a lot when they did the time skip.

Jane still burning bridges. She really cannot help herself, can she? This is what makes her the least likeable character on the show next to Xiomara. And they all jumped on Rogelio over Xiomara's portayal in his reality show, but Jane would have written Raphael as the villain in her novel? Come on.

Sounds like I made the right decision to stop watching.

Not back til March 20th btw :(
ugh, I get unbanned to see this

The writers followed up on Michael pretty well for two episodes, but this latest one was just bad. I couldn't care less about Petra's ugly caricature of a squeeze, XoRo's constant drama, and even the narrator couldn't give a flying hoot about Abby, but at least I could once count on Jane still being an interesting character. Now she's just...blah. She doesn't have anyone to play off of with Lina M.I.A. and Michael R.I.P.

I still ship her and Petra though.

Jane would've saved herself so much grief had she just hooked up with her professor. The most unrealistic thing ever on this show was expecting us to believe that a mortal human being could resist his lips. And eyes. And abs.

lord

ZeroX03

Banned
Wasn't feeling the episode in the first half, but it really swung around to great in the second half.

Rogelio was on fire this episode, and it's great he finally has a close relationship with a guy again. And it's Mateo!

Andrea Navedo made the Xo stuff work. Poor Bruce, just after he starts to get reliable.

Rafael getting rid of the zen shackles and being assertive when called for was also great.

Petra has been consistently great for ages now.

Abuela finally gonna get some action heh.

I like Jane and Mateo stuff, I just don't care for the school and the rest of those characters at all. New caretaker is nice, but just so much time spent in that school is frustrating.

maxcriden

Jane might be ready to date again

but I am not ready for Jane to date again

Same. I've been really disappointed with the last couple eps. I'm glad y'all dug this latest one, truly, just did not do anything for me. The political storyline felt forced to me. I didn't like how the Bruce subplot went in the most predictable direction, either.

Makonero

Same. I've been really disappointed with the last couple eps. I'm glad y'all dug this latest one, truly, just did not do anything for me. The political storyline felt forced to me. I didn't like how the Bruce subplot went in the most predictable direction, either.

It's absurd because they're treating Bruce like he's only been dating Xo for a few weeks but there's a whole three years we didn't see. Their relationship would be totally different by then.

Jhoan

Jane catching Petra in the closet and the grandma getting caught making out in the golf course got a good laugh out of me. This whole episode has been hilarious as a whole with the flirt scanner. Poor Rafael can't catch a break though.

And just like that, it's one month break. I'm going to miss that returning episode since I'll be out of town until Tuesday. :(

ZeroX03

Banned
That episode was very heavy on the awkward cringe comedy. Not my style!

Rogelio's face this episode haha

Raf, Jane and Petra at the bar was great. What a weird and wonderful group of 'friends'.

ionitron

I haven't seen today's episode, but

This show just really pisses me off sometimes. Like, I love it a lot, but

Seriously, the thing with Xo and Bruce? It was going perfectly for over 4 years and suddenly Xo has feelings for Rogelio again? For Drama? I'm not even happy about that.

And then there's Petra. I want to like Petra, she's gone through some important character development. And then she has to do something that makes me go "Why?! Why did you do this?! You're doing this to yourself."

But gotta say Mateo's Aid is a huge cutie. Looooove it.

Ugh, that hotel guy is such a one-note sleaze. Petra can do so much better.

Bruce/Xo/Rogelio zzzzzzzZ

And is it just me or has the show been writing Jane as more and more juvenile? Like, other than being a single mother, I don't really get the sense that she's matured forwards after Michael's death. I just wish we could see her actually in control for once.

But on the upside, Abuela getting her sexy on will never be anything but life-affirmingly delightful.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sucks to be back on a break. Back on April 24.

Few very minor spoilers:
Luisa and real Rose (Bridget Regan) are back at some point.
Tyler Posey is joining the show (recurring), will show up in the finale and into next season. Potentially Jane's secret first love?
Michael is back for the finale, of course! Also when are we going to see the aftermath already. I need to see Rogelio's reaction.

ZeroX03

Banned
Fabian's body is perfection, my God.

Really happy we finally got to see Rogelio's side of Michael's death. It's a long time coming and we knew he'd be the character most affected by it next to Jane.

AV Club: A-

-griffy-

Banned
Think they'll deport Alba? Would be kind of crazy. Love that they don't mind inserting political commentary into this show.

Top Bottom