• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane the Virgin S2 |OT| Mex Education

ZeroX03

Banned
I know, it just feels silly to me is all. I'm also not sure why they waited until mid-October to start the season to begin with.

Production of the season started very late, like over a month after everything else. I would assume it would be to accommodate Gina's movie schedule or something like that.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh Rogelio, a baby arrangement, that'll go well.

Raf not being a real Solano has seemed kind of obvious throughout the whole series hasn't it?

Wow, that episode was stellar.

The writing and the direction were so on point. And even the dialogue seemed to have a more naturalistic, improvisational feel than usual (like Michael and Jane's conversation about religion, Rafael's "Amen," Jane and Xo locking horns about Bruce, and Michael's wonderfully deadpan delivery throughout the episode). The acting seemed to be more down to earth and less scripted, if that makes any sense.

So how long until he next episode? EDIT: Oh, after Inauguration Day. That's a long time to wait after only 7 episode :-(

Oh, and #nunsontherun is officially my new favorite hashtag.

Linkura

No new episode until Jan 23rd, almost 2 months away? Yet No Tomorrow keeps going with the new episodes at least through next week? I guess they are trying to burn that off, but still. It's painful after only 7 episodes and a late start to the season. Gina is getting too popular and busy for this show. :(

What a fantastic midseason finale. I take this show at face value, revel in the twists, and don't think too hard about it, so Rafael's parentage surprised me. (I wonder if Rose knew all along? Or Luisa?)

As far as some general thoughts, as much as I was Team Rafael in Season 1, I'm glad the show's moved past the love triangle aspect and has developed ways to integrate different pairings. The Rafael/Rogelio bromance is probably my favorite thing on the show . . . and the Michael/Rogelio bromance follows it.

I wonder if Catalina's just a red herring. She's trouble, but I sincerely hope she's not another crime lord or golddigger; I just hope she has some much-needed nuance. Petra started as a one-note character and (really) quickly turned into my favorite character, after all.

My only real complaint is that it looks like Xo's irrationally backsliding and that they're running out of material for her besides part-time jobs and part-time lovers. Even Alba's getting more character growth than she is.

Linkura

The "big reveal" was kind of underwhelming. So Rafael ISN'T blood related to a family of crime lords and this is a... bad thing? And he's actually Italian, which means Matelio, Anna, and Elsa are actually half-Italian. Ok...?

Kind of getting sick of Jane and Michael having minor dumb fights every episode after getting married. I don't know if we're in the minority or what, but my husband and I have never had a disconnect of communication like they seem to have.

ZeroX03

Banned
The "big reveal" was kind of underwhelming. So Rafael ISN'T blood related to a family of crime lords and this is a... bad thing? And he's actually Italian, which means Matelio, Anna, and Elsa are actually half-Italian. Ok...?

Kind of getting sick of Jane and Michael having minor dumb fights every episode after getting married. I don't know if we're in the minority or what, but my husband and I have never had a disconnect of communication like they seem to have.

The big reveal is more about the emotional impact it has on Rafael rather than anything like ethnicity. He's had this huge, conflicting relationship with the awful Solanos (and Luisa, bless her) his whole life. He feels obligated to do things like protect his father's legacy. Ideally this'll help him separate from a pretty self destructive cycle. Plus maybe he'll have nice birth parents.

And yeah Jane and Michael fighting over the tiny things is getting annoying. I know they don't want to show them as perfect or make Michael a doormat but it'd be nice to mix it up. It's fun when they work together on that goofy level.

Linkura

The Solanos still raised him though. I mean, just because they aren't blood related doesn't take away that. Kind of undermining adoptive parents there with that kind of sentiment.

MartyStu

I am a lapsed watcher. Mainly because I generally am not a big fan of drama. But that episode reminds me of how much I genuinely love this show.

I think I may stay on board from here on out.

ZeroX03

Banned
The Solanos still raised him though. I mean, just because they aren't blood related doesn't take away that. Kind of undermining adoptive parents there with that kind of sentiment.

I'm not doing that, it's Rafael who's doing that to himself. Besides it's been pretty well established that the Solanos are awful, awful parents too. They're not adoptive parents so much as someone who BOUGHT him. Probably healthy for Rafael if he can distance himself.

I'm sure he won't suddenly stop loving Luisa, but the next best character out of that family is what, his father? He was a criminal but at least unlike the rest he didn't kill anyone.

Linkura

I'm not doing that, it's Rafael who's doing that to himself. Besides it's been pretty well established that the Solanos are awful, awful parents too. They're not adoptive parents so much as someone who BOUGHT him. Probably healthy for Rafael if he can distance himself.

I'm sure he won't suddenly stop loving Luisa, but the next best character out of that family is what, his father? He was a criminal but at least unlike the rest he didn't kill anyone.

I didn't mean you were personally doing that, I'm saying that if that's what the show is going for, they're undermining the adoptive child/parent relationship.

Jane being insufferable about that church shit.

She's been unsufferable about a lot of shit lately. That seems to be the weekly thing: Jane is unsufferable about something->gets told->she calms down a bit.

Xo still acting like a damn child with this Bruno thing.

ZeroX03

Banned
I wasn't saying you were personally doing that, I'm saying that if that's what the show is going for, they're undermining the adoptive child/parent relationship.

They would be undermining horrible adoptive child parent relationships. The Solanos are awful parents regardless of biology.

He's not going to disown his adoptive sister.

maxcriden

No new episode until Jan 23rd, almost 2 months away? Yet No Tomorrow keeps going with the new episodes at least through next week? I guess they are trying to burn that off, but still. It's painful after only 7 episodes and a late start to the season. Gina is getting too popular and busy for this show. :(

Oh! Dang. I didn't realize that was the midseason finale. O_O I just came in here to lament no new ep this week. Ah, well. Terrific ep last week. (I've been really enjoying this season a lot, more than some parts of S2, but I know that's a minority opinion ITT so I was especially glad to see more people keen on the latest ep.)

Oh! Dang. I didn't realize that was the midseason finale. O_O I just came in here to lament no new ep this week. Ah, well. Terrific ep last week. (I've been really enjoying this season a lot, more than some parts of S2, but I know that's a minority opinion ITT so I was especially glad to see more people keen on the latest ep.)
I'm in full agreement that this season is better than S2 in most ways. Last season's finale was one of the series' best episodes, but it took a lot of boring Michael vs. Rafael episodes (a love triangle I was never really interested in) to get there.

maxcriden

I'm in full agreement that this season is better than S2 in most ways. Last season's finale was one of the series' best episodes, but it took a lot of boring Michael vs. Rafael episodes (a love triangle I was never really interested in) to get there.

What really annoyed the crap out of me tbh in S2 was the forced moment of Michael accidentally hurting Mateo. It's not as though Michael learned something from that moment, I have no doubt he would be a tender parent regardless of that and we hadn't seen any pattern of aggression from him that that was the culmination of. So yeah, some of the Michael vs. Rafe stuff was super tiring last season. Also, for me, Sin Rostro has been the dullest subplot of the series along w/ most anything Luisa, so any of that in S1-2 fell flat for me, and when I read that they wanted to use the reveal of Rose as the cop from S2 whose name is escaping me who I originally thought was Rose but then thought they proved wasn't and then it's a silly Mission Impossible mask, that they wanted to use this reveal to explore Rose's character and how a criminal mastermind could also love someone, well... it hasn't been a strong suit this season either, so I'm glad it's been more limited.

So yeah, very keen on this season so far! It's dialed back what I personally didn't like as much and has had a nice zoomed-in focus on everyday life and conflicts for Jane. And, everything with Petra for that soapy goodness.

ZeroX03

Banned
!

CzeppkyVIAEjVO8.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
Fun episode. Glad that Petra is back in power.

Btw there's some wild potential, spoilers that came from a Spanish interview Ivonne Coll gave. It's crazy they'd let an actor let something like this slip. Click at your own risk. I wouldn't want to be spoiled on this and hope it isn't true:
Michael will die in a few episodes, Jane's a widow, four year time skip.

Linkura

Btw there's some wild potential, spoilers that came from a Spanish interview Ivonne Coll gave. It's crazy they'd let an actor let something like this slip. Click at your own risk. I wouldn't want to be spoiled on this and hope it isn't true:

Oh shit. Glad I read that spoiler, honestly. This show needs some more momentum to keep me going. Crazy that they spilled that though. Fuckin' Abuela!

Haven't watched this week's episode; will do so tonight. I can't really remember what happened 2 months ago. First time a recap will actually do me some good.

Goodstyle

Wow, I really hope that IS true. Sounds really exciting.

Oh shit. Glad I read that spoiler, honestly. This show needs some more momentum to keep me going. Crazy that they spilled that though. Fuckin' Abuela!

Haven't watched this week's episode; will do so tonight. I can't really remember what happened 2 months ago. First time a recap will actually do me some good.

100% agreed.
He's the worst character on the show -- I mean, there's literally nothing left to do with him. Especially after tonight's episode.

Regarding the above spoilers...

Maybe it will happen on the February 6th episode. It said Jennie Snyder Urman is co writing it and it seems like she usually writes the big ones. She hasn't written one since the season 3 premiere.

ZeroX03

Banned
Regarding the above spoilers...

Maybe it will happen on the February 6th episode. It said Jennie Snyder Urman is co writing it and it seems like she usually writes the big ones. She hasn't written one since the season 3 premiere.

Yeah that's the episode that was mentioned in relation to the spoiler. Gina's said some
big changes are coming in the show soon and I think she's changed to a more mature hairstyle
. Signs pointing to it.

I mean I get how it'd be good for
Jane's character arc and to reinvigorate some of the plots that've been dragging but boy do I love Michael

Yeah that's the episode that was mentioned in relation to the spoiler. Gina's said some
big changes are coming in the show soon and I think she's changed to a more mature hairstyle
. Signs pointing to it.

I mean I get how it'd be good for
Jane's character arc and to reinvigorate some of the plots that've been dragging but boy do I love Michael

So this must mean that Jane and Rafael are endgame then. Maybe they're finding it increasingly hard to give Rafael storylines that don't involve going after Jane, lol. Either that or they're going to have Jane raise him alone. I don't see them bringing in some random love interest.

Linkura

So this must mean that Jane and Rafael are endgame then. Maybe they're finding it increasingly hard to give Rafael storylines that don't involve going after Jane, lol. Either that or they're going to have Jane raise him alone. I don't see them bringing in some random love interest.

Maybe not. No Tomorrow
gave the main character a new love interest in the final episode and made it work. Still, I think Jane and Rafael make a good couple, so I'm cool with them getting back together.

Maybe not. No Tomorrow
gave the main character a new love interest in the final episode and made it work. Still, I think Jane and Rafael make a good couple, so I'm cool with them getting back together.

I would be too! I think they'd make a good couple. I just thought that if anything, Rafael would end up back with Petra, lol. It seemed like that's what they were hinting at for a while and it would kind of make sense. But I'd prefer him with Jane.

Linkura

I would be too! I think they'd make a good couple. I just thought that if anything, Rafael would end up back with Petra, lol. It seemed like that's what they were hinting at for a while and it would kind of make sense. But I'd prefer him with Jane.

I don't think
Petra getting back with him is happening anymore. She's way too pissed at him.

Lol at that spoiler,
I mean we all saw it coming by last years finale, only to end up being a fake out and then turning out to be the real deal.

ZeroX03

Banned
Good episode. Petra continues to impress.

Interestingly the next two episodes are BOTH written by Jennie Urman, so read into that how you will. The episode promo for next week shows something small but powerful:
Rogelio's penis. The promos are basically for the Rogelio show now.

GOOD CHOICES - When Jane (Gina Rodriguez) realizes that she and Michael (Brett Dier) are both stressed out, they decide to recreate their first date to help them relax. Rogelio (Jaime Camil) makes a big scene on the red carpet of his film premiere and his rant goes viral, which leave him to make a choice about the direction of his career. Rafael (Justin Baldoni) wants to set a good example for his children leaving him to make a big decision with the ultimate sacrifice. Meanwhile, Bruce's (guest star Ricardo Chavira) daughter finds herself in trouble leaving Xo (Andrea Navedo) and Bruce's to discuss the future of their relationship. Yael Grobglas and Ivonne Coll also star. Melanie Mayron directed the episode written by Micah Schraft & Jennie Snyder Urman (#310). Original airdate 2/06/2017.

FIXING THE PROBLEM - Working in publishing is not what Jane (Gina Rodriguez) thought it would be, until she learns about a showcase for up and coming writers. With Petra (Yael Grobglas) helming the Marbella, she decides to rebrand the hotel, but quickly butts heads with the rival hotel next door. Rogelio (Jaime Camil) and Darci (guest star Justina Machado) have made a new arrangement which has put a strain on his relationship with Xo (Andrea Navedo). Meanwhile, Jane and Rafael (Justin Baldoni) try to figure out the best solution to Mateo's behavioral issues and they both seem to have different approaches. Brett Dier and Ivonne Coll also star. Brad Silberling directed the episode written by Paul Sciarrotta & Jennie Snyder Urman (#311). Original airdate 2/13/2017.

Linkura

This week's episode sucked. Didn't care about any of the plotlines at all really. Even Rogelio had a crummy plot. Pretty much no trademark humor at all either. Hoping next week delivers, or I might have to drop the show by the end of this season.

I'm going to enjoy the big reveal of
Sin Rostro ripping off Michael's face, as Michael actually died at the end of season 2, which by some technicalities makes Jane a virgin again
!

But really, I just want some
death to the worst character on the show
. I would rather see a Scott/Esteban buddy cop episode.

Top Bottom