• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye x Adidas Originals

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Banned
it's usually not a straight line, but I've noticed lately that say, valentino or burberry do a number of studded items and in a year or so I see studded backpacks and what not at target.

this example is a mix of men and women's footwear moving in a cycle but i always find it amusing as it is so specific:

original german army training shoe from the 70s-80s. iirc they were about $50-$80, and you can sometimes find them online (getting harder due to popularity).

maison martin margiela german army trainer reproduction from the 00s - today. keep in mind that this is part of the replica line, and the tag states the design's provenance. they retail for $400 or so:

over time the margiela 'german army trainer' model took on some variations, one popular one being a velcro-strapped high top. iirc these have been around for 6 or so years. BTW these margiela shoes came in men's and women's varieties, with different colorways or detailing:

a few of years ago, another upscale designer, isabel marant, released this women's sneaker:

and shortly afterward, you could pick these up in target:

thus is the fashion circle of life. i've only been paying attention to this stuff for about 12 years or so, and I've noticed that over the last handful of years the 'trickle down' effect has compressed greatly and usually only takes a season at max to see. though at the same time, as you can see, stuff 'trickles up', too.

That's an interesting example but that's more the Designer->Knockoff life cycle. The designer versions of those shoes look almost identical to the knockoffs. I'm talking about Crazy Runway Shit->Wearable clothes.

I don't doubt it happens because target and j crew have to steal their ideas from somewhere, I just haven't seen any good examples of it.

see5harp

I am so gonna rock sweat pants to my next all staff meeting. When people ask me why I'm wearing sweatpants I'm just gonna say "the executive team just doesn't respect true artistry. That's why I went to Adidas and copped these grey sweat pants."

potam

Banned
That's an interesting example but that's more the Designer->Knockoff life cycle. The designer versions of those shoes look almost identical to the knockoffs. I'm talking about Crazy Runway Shit->Wearable clothes.

I don't doubt it happens because target and j crew have to steal their ideas from somewhere, I just haven't seen any good examples of it.

I'm not an expert, and I can't give any examples, but I think it would be something along the lines of: runway show features a lot of straps and buckles (think Final Fantasy), and then the actual retail products will still have straps and buckles, but not in a comical way.

Think of the runway shows as concept art.

WTF at this one in particular? He looks like he's about to slit his wrists...

Jr5mLXe.jpg

he tryna make rain boots

ah well, in most cases, it really doesn't happen at all. nobody is going to rip off this, for instance:

ogSWkCn.jpg

because very few would buy it anyway. most of the weird runway shit is more or less paid for by normal everyday stuff like bags, fragrances, or diffusion lines that have a lower pricepoint and more of a 'normal' look. the trend trickle down usually happens in the abstract over several years; like the rise of 'workwear' with designers like adam kimme and junya watanabe taking a utilitarian style and pushing it as a fashion, and niche japanese labels making traditional flannels and denim reproductions with insane manufacturing precision. i'd say the rise of designer collaborations (stella mccartney for h&m, philip lim for target, etc) draw a clearer line but those are just specific people.

there are also large fabric fairs in which fabric mills demo and showcase upcoming developments and trends, and since a lot of these niche high fashion designers are at the mercy of these mills either by financing or resources, well, there you go.

edit: 'cerulean blue' is fun to joke with but it's a pretty big oversimplification IMO.

FZZ

Banned
Some of the clothes aren't bad, it's just how they're paired with other clothes that don't look too good and the end result is hobos from 20XX

Ecto311

tumblr_n481m4nTMY1ssuoa0o2_250.gif

Something about tights is really gross to me. My wife had them on for a funeral recently and it was so bad I got sick to my stomach and shes a nice looking lady. I don't know what it is and skin colored shit is also a turn off more than other things. Goddamn this entire collection of pictures is the exact opposite of what I would prefer. The entire kanye thing is like some kind of experiment to see what people will tolerate or follow. If this dude was written into a movie people would laugh at how bad it is. From his music, his wife that has no talent just a sex tape, his ego, his disrespect for people at award shows - all that shit. They have to do a psych study on this guy and how people tolerate his ass.

Kyzer

Banned
Kanye is a Nomura wannabe those kicks tho damnnnnnnnn
HrpBXK8.jpg

Wow mindfuck kanye would have been the perfect moses for that movie

ah well, in most cases, it really doesn't happen at all. nobody is going to rip off this, for instance:

ogSWkCn.jpg

because very few would buy it anyway. most of the weird runway shit is more or less paid for by normal everyday stuff like bags, fragrances, or diffusion lines that have a lower pricepoint and more of a 'normal' look. the trend trickle down usually happens in the abstract over several years; like the rise of 'workwear' with designers like adam kimme and junya watanabe taking a utilitarian style and pushing it as a fashion, and niche japanese labels making traditional flannels and denim reproductions with insane manufacturing precision. i'd say the rise of designer collaborations (stella mccartney for h&m, philip lim for target, etc) draw a clearer line but those are just specific people.

there are also large fabric fairs in which fabric mills demo and showcase upcoming developments and trends, and since a lot of these niche high fashion designers are at the mercy of these mills either by financing or resources, well, there you go.

edit: 'cerulean blue' is fun to joke with but it's a pretty big oversimplification IMO.

Print suits need to be a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom