• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread -2013 Edition- List of gaming Kickstarts & other related projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wikzo

Hey!

We at Exit Strategy Entertainment are doing a Kickstarter for a mobile game called Pirates of New Horizons. It blends elements from Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: The Wind Waker and God of War.

Please check it out: Pirates of New Horizons Kickstarter

iRA0qa4MoSgZ3.gif

98f3812b888640e6f2d29fa0f88180a7_large.jpg

04a3e4d0c87b3c3513b864981adffb33_large.jpg

I'm a little slow with the updates, but here they are:

Successful projects:

- Obduction ($1,321,306 | Thread)
- castAR: the most versatile AR & VR system ($1,052,110 | Thread)
- You Are Not The Hero ($90,776 | Thread )
- Doug TenNapel Sketch Book Vol 2 ($87,334 | Thread )
- ASYLUM 33D ($3,010)
- Hollow ($198)

Add two more one million dollar projects to the list.

Unsuccessful:

- Raindrop (Ends November 11th 2013 | Thread )

Recently added:

- Pirates of New Horizons - Mobile (Ends December 1st 2013)
  • Colorful 3D action platformer with humour from Monkey island and combat from God of War.. Play the demo version on browser for Windows and Mac
    [*]For iOS and Android platforms
- DYSCOURSE: Survivors, Choose Wisely. (Ends December 5th 2013 | Thread)
  • A 2D survival game with a unique art style. Emergent story, group psychology, and the struggle to endure, in the absurd Owlchemy style.
    [*]For Windows, Mac & Linux
- Interstellaria (Ends December 6th 2013)
  • Experience the galaxy in this space adventure sandbox game with old school 8bit inspired graphics and modern play mechanics.
- Tadpole Treble (Ends December 7th 2013 | Thread)
  • A 2D musical adventure game from the creator of the webcomic: Brawl in the Family.
    [*]For Windows, Mac, Mobile Devices & Wii-U
- Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore RPG (Ends December 7th 2013 | Thread)
  • Single player turn-based CRPG with dungeons and deep character interaction, from the creators of Realms of Arkania.
- Wings: Remastered Edition (Ends December 10th 2013 | Thread)
  • An HD remastering of Cinemawares classic Amiga WWI aerial combat game, Wings.
    [*] For Windows, Mac, OUYA, Android and iOS. PSN/PS4 stretch goals with possible Linux and AmigaOS ports
- Bloom: Memories -- A new kind of action adventure RPG! (Ends December 10th 2013)
  • An action adveture RPG with hand painted backgrounds and 3D character models, pre-alpha demo available.
    [*] For Windows, Mac & Linux
- Catacomb Kids - A Very Roguelike Platformer (Ends December 11th 2013)
  • A 2D rouge-like platformer that pits you against deadly catacombs, aided by magic, steal and quick reflexes.
    [*] For Windows & Mac, with possible Linux port
- Approaching Infinity: A Space Adventure Roguelike (Ends December 11th 2013)
  • Explore an infinite procedurally generated universe, alive with memorable alien races, fantastic technologies, and deadly monsters!.
    [*] For Windowst
- Super Blow The Cartridge: The Retro Gaming Comic Book! (Ends December 18h 2013)
  • 120 page + collection of comics, celebrating how awesome and crazy old video games are. From the mind of NeoGAFfer Gazunta

2014:

- Treasurebear (Ends January 4h 2014)
  • Colorful 2D adventure exploration platformer staring a Bear on a quest to collect loot.
    [*]For Windows

A lot of rouge-likes added this update.

Gazunta

- Super Blow The Cartridge: The Retro Gaming Comic Book! (Ends December 18h 2013)
  • 120 page + collection of comics, celebrating how awesome and crazy old video games are. From the mind of NeoGAFfer Gazunta
Thanks for including my project in the list! It's crazy it reached its target.

Just wanted to add that I've added two new stretch goals - the first (which has been reached and will be in every copy of the digital and printed books) is called Why Street Fighter Alpha 2 Is My Secret Best Friend and the second is a bonus comic about the very first time I saw a video game and how it blew my feeble little brain. The game was Pooyan, just in case you're wondering. :)

Damn, Pooyan was tops.

Catacomb kids looks amazing, have you guys seen the new video? I've been broke as shit all year, and haven't backed any kickstarters, even ones I wanted to badly and were friends of mine..

I saw the new update video.. and threw 16 bucks to my man Tyriq, met him at GDC & ran into him again at Indiecade. This video is insane!

Meaningful melee combat, roguelike platformer with uniform uses of objects? Damn.. This man should easily exceed his goal, imo. Looks that good.

Oh shit, Notch gave it a shoutout..!

I backed Super World Karts GP this morning - lovely looking Mario Kart-esque mode7 racer. I'm not a PC gamer, but I asked about the chance of a Vita release, and he said maybe, in the future. Give me all your Kickstarter and indie games on Vita and I will buy them.

Hey!

We at Exit Strategy Entertainment are doing a Kickstarter for a mobile game called Pirates of New Horizons. It blends elements from Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: The Wind Waker and God of War.

Please check it out: Pirates of New Horizons Kickstarter

iRA0qa4MoSgZ3.gif

98f3812b888640e6f2d29fa0f88180a7_large.jpg

04a3e4d0c87b3c3513b864981adffb33_large.jpg

That looks really nice, but it's a shame it's for mobiles. I've never found a 'complex' game that's worked well on my Galaxy 3 or tablet. Some are passable, but on the whole I'm just left thinking how much better it would be if I could play it on my Vita or a home console.

EDIT - ah, I'm in for $5. Hope your game gets funded. I'm gonna leave this topic now, because I go on KS binges and it's dangerous for my bank balance!

I backed Super World Karts GP this morning - lovely looking Mario Kart-esque mode7 racer. I'm not a PC gamer, but I asked about the chance of a Vita release, and he said maybe, in the future. Give me all your Kickstarter and indie games on Vita and I will buy them.

The characters actually look a lot like the ones from Wacky Wheels. Which was a Mario Kart clone for the PC that was published by Apogee in 1994: It was actually the first Mario Kart clone made for the PC.

zi8ZY4f.png

ww_10_big.jpg

Thanks for including my project in the list! It's crazy it reached its target.

Just wanted to add that I've added two new stretch goals - the first (which has been reached and will be in every copy of the digital and printed books) is called Why Street Fighter Alpha 2 Is My Secret Best Friend and the second is a bonus comic about the very first time I saw a video game and how it blew my feeble little brain. The game was Pooyan, just in case you're wondering. :)

Damn, Pooyan was tops.

No problem. Good luck on reaching the $3000 stretch goal.

Also, I'm not sure if I will be doing a 2014 thread. I have been running this one and Mr. Oranges thread for nearly one and a half years now , so I am feeling a little burned out by it. If anyone else wants to start one for next year, be my guest. :p

Though I will finish up this one for the rest of the year.

disap.ed

That looks really nice, but it's a shame it's for mobiles. I've never found a 'complex' game that's worked well on my Galaxy 3 or tablet. Some are passable, but on the whole I'm just left thinking how much better it would be if I could play it on my Vita or a home console.

Second that. I would immediately put some money into this if it would be a WiiU game.

What was the first KS you backed? Mine was Hyper Light Drifter. I love pixel graphics, and the whole atmosphere, and world design, was just fascinating. Definitely made a good choice

Since then I've backed Confederate Express, Catacomb Kids, and I'll be backing Dex when the dev's get Paypal set up

Dascu

What was the first KS you backed? Mine was Hyper Light Drifter. I love pixel graphics, and the whole atmosphere, and world design, was just fascinating. Definitely made a good choice

Since then I've backed Confederate Express, Catacomb Kids, and I'll be backing Dex when the dev's get Paypal set up

First was The Banner Saga. Since then I've backed over a dozen and spent over 200 dollar on Kickstarter donations.

Killscreen had a party at GDC last year, so that was technically my first. You got a ticket to the party for donating.

Barely got there in time, though, to really enjoy it.

2nd was Double Fine... within the beginning phase. A day later it hit 1 mill...

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

Shovel Knight -> Mighty No. 9 -> Hyper Light Drifter -> Shantae -> Obduction -> Paradise Lost: First Contact

Represent!

I've backed 30 projects, split evenly between pen and paper RPGs and computer games, upwards of $2K total. Then my wife lost her job, so, uh, yeah I don't back anything now other than really special stuff at the lowest tier. For a while I was backing all of the "spiritual successor" reboots (Torment, Eternity, Wasteland 2, etc.) at the physical tier -- love those cloth maps and manuals. =/

Holy shit, Windforge got funded!
50,161 and their goal was 50K. Is that the closest KS ever?

After this and Neverending Nightmares, I think it's possible for any campaign to make a comeback (except for Bullet Bros, that's a lost cause unfortunately)

Now I feel bad for complaining about the lack of updates.
Not only was the video awesome, the crafting system sounds ingenious

To this end, I intend to make the entire game space into a crafting system of sorts. Want to make some stew? Find a pool of water, a way to boil it, and throw some ingredients in to cook. Need to repair your sword? Perhaps that lava over there would make a good forge, and the nearby crushing trap a good hammer. No grinding for resources to collect 10 more beetle snouts. Just be attentive and maybe a little crazy, and the possibilities will reveal themselves from within the game's mechanics.

Quick update, I didn't add any new Kickstarter projects to the OP, there has been quite a few that I missed, I will update those a bit later.

Successfully Funded:

- The Mandate ($701,010 | Thread)
- Night In The Woods ($209,375)
- Paradise Lost: First Contact ($144,960 | Thread)
- Wings: Remastered Edition ($91,380 | Thread)
- Bloom: Memories -- A new kind of action adventure RPG! ($61,517)
- DYSCOURSE: Survivors, Choose Wisely. ($44,134 | Thread)
- Confederate Express ($39,739)
- Tadpole Treble ($34,250 | Thread)
- Howler Arcade Controller (31,734, $33,665 CAD)
- Interstellaria ($28,805)
- Wrestling With Pixels: The World Tour Of Wrestling Games. ($26,278 | Thread)
- Hints & Tips for Videogame Pioneers ($22,583, £13,814 | Thread)
- The Escapists ($11,727, £7,131 | Thread)

Unsuccessful:

- SKYJACKER Space Combat Sim (Ends November 22nd 2013)
- Red Baron (Ends November 22nd 2013)
- Boogerman 20th Anniversary: The Video Game (Ends November 24th 2013 | Thread)
- Bolt Riley - A Reggae Adventure Game (Ends November 25th 2013 )
- Between Me and the Night. (Ends December 1st 2013)
- APEXICON - Fantasy Puzzle Combat! (Ends December 1st 2013 | Thread)
- Next Car Game: A Motorsport With Attitude! (Ends December 1st 2013 | Thread)
- Pirates of New Horizons - Mobile (Ends December 1st 2013)
- Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore RPG (Dec 7th 2013| Thread)
- The 7th Guest 3: The Collector (Ends December 8th 2013 | Thread)

Those Skyjacker guys just can't catch a break. Also I am a bit disappointed that 7th Guest didn't make it.

The Slaughter, a "noir style point-and-click adventure game set in Victorian London in the shadow of a string of serial killings." is only 1,200 pounds away from its goal. 42 hours to go, looks promising.

2d9000f8ef71cc813b030d9d6f01d0e1_large.png

wetwired

Thread for the KS

FightTheDragon_Hero_08.jpg

Kickstarter Link

Fight The Dragon?

Fight The Dragon is a 3D Mini Action-RPG (MARPG) in which players journey on short form adventures, hacking and slashing their way through hordes of enemies in search of rare loot and shiny things.

At its core, Fight The Dragon is very much a hack-and-slash game, focusing on fun and exciting gameplay and responsive combat all based around short play sessions. 10-15 minute adventures in a non-linear format allows players to jump in for a quick fix or play multiple adventures over longer play sessions.

Fight The Dragon ships with a highly flexible in-game Adventure Construction Kit (ACK) that allows players to design, play and share their own adventures with other players on all platforms around the world.

What about the dragon?

As heroes complete adventures and reach milestones they earn tickets that allow them to go "Fight The Dragon" in the ultimate dragon battle arena.

Every player has their own dragon to fight and each dragon has MEGA HP, so killing heir dragon will require many encounters and a lot of skill. The damage players do to their dragon is persistent between play sessions so players need to collect as many tickets as they can and go battle it out!

We will also have a Community Dragon that all players will do damage to based on the damage they inflict on their own dragons. The community dragon will act as an overall leaderboard to highlight who the ultimate dragon slayers are.

Why a construction kit?

We are really big fans of user generated content and empowering users to create inside our games. Our Cubemen games both have level editors and the community has created over 40k levels since launch and they created levels that were so much better than our own!

When we picked our initial "must haves" for Fight The Dragon the editor was third on the list, only out shone by "100% pick up and play" and "Full controller support".

We have invested a considerable amount of time on the construction kit ensuring it's fast to use is super intuitive with both controller and mouse/keyboard and we can't wait to see what players make with it.

Key Game Features

* Action packed Hack-and-Slash Adventuring
* Epic loot to find and dangerous enemies to battle
* Local Drop-In Split-Screen Co-Op
* Up to 4 player online Co-Op (cross platform)
* Endless range of adventures to play
* Intense Dragon Fights
* Fully intuitive gamepad support as well as Mouse & Keyboard
* Full Steam Big Picture/Steam Machine support

Some Pics
FightTheDragon_Hero_04.jpg

FightTheDragon_Hero_09.jpg

FightTheDragon_Hero_11.jpg

There's also a ton of videos showing off co-op and the construction kit on their youtube channel.

The Ghouls N' Ghosts fangame got canned by Kickstarter and Capcom in a tag-team.

Why can't these guys name it something different?

It is literally that simple.

The Ghouls N' Ghosts fangame got canned by Kickstarter and Capcom in a tag-team.

Why can't these guys name it something different?

It is literally that simple.

Their stupid plan was to get funds to build up the game enough to pitch it to Capcom, and if Capcom said no, they would rename it something else.

But Capcom obviously didn't like them using the GnG name to raise money at all.

Their stupid plan was to get funds to build up the game enough to pitch it to Capcom, and if Capcom said no, they would rename it something else.

But Capcom obviously didn't like them using the GnG name to raise money at all.
They shouldn't have made it a GnG game to begin with. They should've Kickstarted it under an original IP title(then if they got enough, could've pitched it to Capcom or just roll with the original game). They couldn't still cited GnG as being an inspiration(like many Kickstarters do). Kinda similar to Lords of Shadow, which was initially conceived as a CV reboot, but had Konami passed on making it a CV, they still would've released it as an original IP(just without the CV themes and characters).

They shouldn't have made it a GnG game to begin with. They should've Kickstarted it under an original IP title(then if they got enough, could've pitched it to Capcom or just roll with the original game). They couldn't still cited GnG as being an inspiration(like many Kickstarters do). Kinda similar to Lords of Shadow, which was initially conceived as a CV reboot, but had Konami passed on making it a CV, they still would've released it as an original IP(just without the CV themes and characters).

This.

It's not that hard, and yet, I don't see why they didn't go this route.

gogojira

Brad McQuaid's new MMO is about to hit Kickstarter and he's just leaked a few pieces of concept art. I thought this one looked pretty nice:

attachment.php

There's a few more at Rerolled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom