• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread -2013 Edition- List of gaming Kickstarts & other related projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since I have updated the OP:

Recently Added:

- Knite & The Ghost Lights (Ends October 26th 2013 )
  • Adventure game with emphasis on storytelling and action. Featuring hand crafted models and landscapes.
    [*]Windows, Mac and Linux
- Spark Rising: A Build + Battle Game (Ends October 30th 2013 | Thread )
  • Co-op action strategy game featuring fortress and creature building. 3D voxel enviroments..
    [*]Windows & Mac
- PULSAR: Lost Colony (Ends October 31st 2013 | Thread )
  • A 3D Starship simulator simaler to FTL, but with co-operative play.
    [*]Windows, Mac & Linux
- Cosmic Star Heroine (Sci-Fi/Spy RPG) for PC/Mac/PS4/Vita (Ends October 31st 2013 | Thread )
  • Turn based RPG from the creators of Cthulhu Saves the World. Inspired by many classic 8 and 16bit JRPG's and features 2D handrawn sprites and environments.
    [*]Windows, Mac, PS4 & PS Vita
- Project Root (Ends November 1st 2013 | Thread )
  • Single player 2D overhead arcade style spaceship shooter that is easy to play and hard to master.
    [*]For Windows
- Proxy Blade (Ends November 3rd 2013 | Thread )
  • A 3D action game with Robots and light swords featuring a deep combat system. Made by GAFers.
    [*]For Windows. Other platforms may come later.

Successfully funded:

- Mighty No. 9 ($3,845,170 | Thread)
- Sunless Sea ($162,887. £100,803)
- Neverending Nightmares ($106,722)
- Mysterious Cities of Gold - The Video Game! ($46,680)
- Death Road to Canada - Permadeath Road Trip Simulator ($42,708 | Thread)
- Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora ($25,457)
- Octopus City Blues ($20,419 | Thread)

Mighty No. 9 is the 12th game to crack over one million in 2013 and also the second highest Kickstarter gaming project of the year.

Unsuccessful:

- Pocket Rumble, a New Fighting Game for PC, Mac, and Linux Ends September 21st 2013 | Thread) Unsuccessful
- Gunlord for 3DS and WiiU (Ends September 25th 2013 | Thread) Unsuccessful
- Hotline Miami: A Short Film (Ends September 27th 2013 | Thread) Unsuccessful

Also,I am starting to reach the 72000 character limit for the OP, three posts aren't enough. So there will be less updates :p

r1chard

The Rimworld Kickstarter just launched yesterday and has almost hit its target already. It's also on Steam Greenlight.

I've been watching Rimworld for a while and reckon it could be quite good. The guy's got a reasonable grounding in game design and the early gameplay footage (and reports from playtesters) looks quite promising. He's not shy about talking about his inspirations nor the resemblance to Prison Architect.

His first Kickstarter update has some interesting bits in it about why he's not going down the usual stretch-goal path or offering physical rewards.

Nice to see that The Fall has reached its Wii U stretch with 5 days to go.

Woo Hoo!

We have achieved our Wii U and Linux stretch goal, which means The Fall will be coming to the Wii U and Linux, and promptly too; without having to wait for PC/Mac sales, we'll be able to include Wii U and Linux in our initial launch. I'm very excited to begin Wii U development and let you all know how things are progressing. Exciting times to come!

r1chard

Rimworld's hit its (admittedly quite low) Kickstarter target after 33 hours. It'll be interesting to see how far it goes, and whether he sticks to his guns regarding the stretch goal stuff. Rather than promising specific features for stretch goals, he says he'd devote the additional money to art and polish, which I think is reasonable. I suspect this means he'll probably have a bunch of cash to devote to getting some really top quality art work, music and sound into the game. Also he won't have to live off his savings for a while :)

Iztli

Has Raindrop been mentioned in this thread already?

Raindrop is a surreal, environment driven, survival game that includes fully explorable levels with intuitive, complex puzzles.

Raindrop Kickstarter Page

382f8cfed7a46106ec6cabebf200a35e_large.jpg

9204de08effee6a51c6cb2286cb15bd5_large.jpg

ee2751d46184dbb8d837c543c3118d8d_large.jpg

c94eee89ac160c104e0a8a31e7749d02_large.jpg

Im getting STALKER vibes from it :D

Updated the OP:

Whats new?

- HuniePop: A Dating Puzzle RPG (Ends November 1st 2013 | Thread )
  • A Manga inspired puzzle dating sim with deep RPG elements. From a former Insomniac programmer
    [*]For Windows, Mac & Linux
- RimWorld (Ends November 1st 2013)
  • A 2D colony sim about three survivors from a crashed space liner at the rim of the galaxy. The game features an AI generated storyline.
- RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine (Ends November 3rd 2013 | Thread )
  • New retro gaming magazine from personalities like Jeremy Parish, Seanbaby, Jeff Green, Chris Kohler, and others).
- Legend of the Lancer (Ends November 8th 2013 | Thread )
  • A unique 2D action platform RPG that ditches the battle system and focuses on other RPG elements.
    [*]For Windows
- Air Dash Online - A Competitive Platform Fighter (Ends November 10th 2013 | Thread )
  • A 2D non-linear adventure RPG, with multiple storylines and modern game design.
- ASYLUM 33D (Ends November 10th 2013)
  • A 3D dungeon crawler like adventure set inside a 20 story underground insane asylum where 33 deranged ghosts roam. Made by a fellow Neogaffer.
    [*]For Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4, WII U, Vita & iOS
- Raindrop (Ends November 11th 2013 )
  • A 3D survival adventure FPS. Originally was in development on the Source engine but has been moved to Unity 3D. Inspired by such games as S.T.A.L.K.E.R,
    [*]For Windows and Mac
- You Are Not The Hero (Ends November 12th 2013 | Thread )
  • A unique 2D action platform RPG that ditches the battle system and focuses on other RPG elements.
    [*]For Windows
- castAR: the most versatile AR & VR system (Ends November 14th 2013 | Thread)
  • 3D holographic projector and glasses combination that can be used to created augmented reality. Can be used for tabletop board games and 3D video games. Designed by ex-Valve employee Jeri Ellsworth.
- Boogerman 20th Anniversary: The Video Game (Ends November 24th 2013 | Thread)
  • A new HD adventure made by the original creators. With Soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope
    [*]For Windows, Mac, PS4, PS Vita, and Wii U
- Eden Star - Destroy. Build. Protect. (Ends November 29th 2013)
  • A sandbox survival-creation game with innovative physics based combat and an ultra interactive, destructible world..
    [*]For Windows

Successfully Funded:

- Shantae: Half-Genie Hero ($776,084 | Thread)
- Hyper Light Drifter ($645,158 | Thread)
- STEM System: The Best Way to Interact with Virtual Worlds ($604,978| Thread)
- THE LONG DARK, a first-person post-disaster survival sim ($248,158, $256,217CAD| Thread)
- River City Ransom: Underground ($209,908, $217,643CAD | Thread)
- DCS WWII: Europe 1944 ($158,897)
- vrAse: The Smartphone Virtual Reality Case ($106,695, £66,556 | Thread)
- Contagion - Co-op Zombie Survival Game ($87,384 | Thread)
- The Fall: dark, story driven exploration in an alien world ( $36,793, $38,155CAD )

Unsuccessful:

- The Bounty (Ends October 6th 2013 | Thread)

• This is Taxi Journey's second failed attempt at a Kickstarter... ouch. Also I did not include this batch of unsuccessful kickstarter's to the OP, because I am running out of character space.

dejan

Skyjacker - So is this their third attempt now? We had this thread last year and as far as I remember that was already their second shot. They also ran a (successfull) campaign for this in the meantime. So weird.

Wikzo

Cornerstone: The Song of Tyrim has probably been mentioned before, but since the campaign only has 70 hours left, and they still need $7,000 to meet their goal, I reckoned that it would do with another mention in here.

I don't get why this game hasn't been funded yet. I mean, the premise is really neat: it's Zelda: The Wind Waker meets Dark Souls. They even have a playable prototype demo that you can download.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206086702/cornerstone-the-song-of-tyrim

0QLjhox.png

Skyjacker - So is this their third attempt now? We had this thread last year and as far as I remember that was already their second shot. They also ran a (successfull) campaign for this in the meantime. So weird.

This is actually their 4th... third attempt for Skyjacker, but their 4th overall with the Skyjacker construction kit that was successful.

New Update to the OP:

Successful:

- The Ballads of Reemus 2 - 2D Point and Click Adventure Game ($16,579, $17,276CAD)

Unsuccessful:

- Imagination Is The Only Escape (Ends October 17th 2013)
- GoD Factory: Wingmen (Ends October 18th 2013 | Thread)
- Support 0 A.D., an Open-Source Strategy Game (Ends October 20th 2013 | Thread)
- Citizens of Earth - A Modern RPG (Ends October 20th 2013 | Thread)
(it was a graveyard this week for unsuccessful kickstarters... also I didn't include these to the OP due to the character limit )

Whats new?

- Cornerstone: The Song of Tyrim (Ends October 26th 2013 | Thread )
  • Wind Waker meets Dark Souls in this open world action adventure game.
    [*]Windows, Mac and Linux
- The Vanamo Online Game Museum (Ends November 3rd 2013 | Obduction (Ends November 16th 2013 | Thread)
  • New Point and Click 3D adventure from the original creators of Myst and Riven
    [*]For Windows and Mac
- Doug TenNapel Sketch Book Vol 2 (Ends November 7th 2013 | Thread )
  • Second Artbook from Doug TenNapel. Hardcover, focusing on hiw work behind the work.
- Hollow (Ends November 14th 2013)
  • 2D horror themed action RPG with elements from Shadowrun and Fallout.
    [*]For Windows & Mac
- Obduction (Ends November 16th 2013 | Thread)
  • New Point and Click 3D adventure from the original creators of Myst and Riven
    [*]For Windows and Mac
- Night In The Woods (Ends November 22nd 2013 | Thread)
  • 2D sidescroller story driver adventure game from the creator of Aquaria, Alec Holowka and animator Scott Benson
    [*]For Windows and Mac
- Red Baron (Ends November 22nd 2013)
  • Modern update to the classic Amiga game Red Baron from the original creators. Featuring realistic World War 1 inspired dog fighting.
    [*]For Windows
- SKYJACKER Space Combat Sim (Ends November 22nd 2013)
  • 3D Space combat sim featuring Single Player, Co-op and Multiplayer Modes.
- Between Me and the Night. (Ends December 1st 2013)
  • A surrealist, yet grounded, videogame that dares to walk the thin path between sanity and madness.
    [*]For Windows, Mac & Linux, plus a mobile companion for iOS

hoping for more hardware related Kickstarter projects

I haven't really seen much outside of Jeri Ryan's CastAr and a few game controllers.

There's this one here called iMotion, which uses some sort of haptic feedback and ends in 54 hours: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...controller-with-haptic-feedback/?ref=kicktraq

and this one here, called Howler Arcade Controller which is another arcade joystick http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2034467396/howler-arcade-controller/?ref=kicktraq

Though the Howler Arcade Controller looks kind of cool, to be honest.

Also, not really hardware, but I am surprised that I missed this project http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-phoenix-project-city-of-titans/?ref=kicktraq

9a5665c3836c250e0f3e46cbfac6ec36_large.jpg

Which is the spiritual successor to City of Heroes, and it already has raised $480,415 with 9 days to go.

I will add those to the OP later.

This game looks really cool. Love the pixel art.

Confederate Express

Confederate Express is all about exploration, fighting enemies, and making your way towards the main goal: trying to survive while delivering a package. Packages vary by size, weight and fragility; which makes every delivery a unique experience, ranging from a quick 15-minute tasks, all the way to a challenging journey throughout various events and locations. The more difficult the delivery, the greater the rewards: mercenaries, gear, weapons and ultimately - greater challenges.

This GIF shows off the effects of someone with a low, medium, and high marksman skill.
0J6CkrQ.gif

Purkake4

Banned
Soo good, dat crpg renascence. Really hope they make it to destructible environments. Do we have a thread for it?

Oh and there's a bit of a Q&A going on on Reddit.

gogojira

A new MMO Kickstarter from Brad McQuaid is on the horizon. It's going to be aiming for a niche audience that harkens back to the old school days of gaming. For those that don't know, Brad is basically the face of classic EverQuest. He and Jeff Butler (now on EQ Next) founded Sigil Games Online where they had a bit of a rough time with Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (for all its faults, I still find it enjoyable).

Anyways, this is the first Kickstarter I've been extremely excited about in a while. The goal is to create an MMO on a small (obviously) budget for people wanting a group oriented and challenging experience. Anyone interested should shoot an email or two his way. The Kickstarter is set to launch in a few weeks and he's going to have a video QA with questions submitted to him about the project.

A couple of choice quotes:

"The game is high fantasy and if you've played EQ 1 and/or Vanguard, you've got a general idea of what the game's about and what kind of questions to ask :)"

"Kickstarter video will be an interview w/ me. We want to include questions from all of you, so this will be a good format. Unused questions will either be used in future interviews and/or be answered in our FAQ on our future web page. Super specific questions will likely be answered later as opposed to sooner. Please email your questions to aradune@hotmail.com -- we're excited to start this dialog with our future players! We hope to have our kickstarter page up in the next 3 weeks or so."

r1chard

Another of the games I backed, Lily Looking Through, delivered last week. Played through with my daughter and she's playing it through again by herself. It's just lovely. A proper little adventure with plenty of character.

I also backed it to the level I get the soundtrack which I'm very happy about - so's my daughter who loves it :)

So that's two out of three completed Kickstarter games that I'm very happy with (FTL being the other great effort and Star Command being the dud ... and I've played early builds or alphas of 7 others that are looking very promising).

Seems the Wings kickstarter is about to be relaunched. In an update to backers of the previous attempt, they're saying that it's probably going to launch at the end of the week.

The last time they had pretty much nothing to show of a game, but a ridiculous amount of rewards. Hope it's drastically different this time. Wings is one my all time favorite games.

Big update to the OP:

Successfully funded:

- The Phoenix Project - City of Titans ($678,189)
- RimWorld ($256,436, $268,132CAD)
- Cosmic Star Heroine (Sci-Fi/Spy RPG) for PC/Mac/PS4/Vita ($132,689 | Thread )
- iMotion – Haptic feedback virtual reality motion control (Sci-Fi/Spy RPG) for PC/Mac/PS4/Vita ($102,363)
- RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Video Game Magazine ($75,759 | Thread )
- PULSAR: Lost Colony ($55,422 | Thread )
- HuniePop: A Dating Puzzle RPG ($53,536 | Thread )
- Knite & The Ghost Lights ($43,768)
- Cornerstone: The Song of Tyrim ($31,448 | Thread )
- Spark Rising: A Build + Battle Game ($21,037 | Thread )
- The Vanamo Online Game Museum ($17,493 | Thread )

Cancelled projects

- Project Root (Ends November 1st 2013 | Thread )
- Legend of the Lancer (Ends November 8th 2013 | Thread )
- Air Dash Online - A Competitive Platform Fighter (Ends November 10th 2013 | Thread )
- Eden Star - Destroy. Build. Protect. (Ends November 29th 2013)

Unsuccessfully funded:

- Proxy Blade (Ends November 3rd 2013 | Thread )

Newly added:

- Hints & Tips for Videogame Pioneers (Ends November 20th 2013 | Thread)
  • A book from an insiders perspective from the home computer scene in the UK from the 80's to 90's
- Confederate Express (Ends November 20th 2013)
  • 2D isometric strategy oriented tactical RPG with permadeath and beautifully crafted pixel art.
    [*]For Windows
- Bolt Riley - A Reggae Adventure Game (Ends November 25th 2013 )
  • Become a Jamaican Reggae legend in this adventure game from the creators of the Quest for Glory series.
    [*]For Windows, Mac, Linux and Ouya console
- Wrestling With Pixels: The World Tour Of Wrestling Games. (Ends November 27th 2013 | Thread)
  • A book that chronicles the history of wrestling game development from around the world and catalogues every wrestling game ever made.
- The Escapists (Ends November 28th 2013 | Thread)
  • 2D overhead strategy game about trying to escape from prison, from the creator of Spuds Quest.
    [*] For Windows
- APEXICON - Fantasy Puzzle Combat! (Ends December 1st 2013 | Thread)
  • A puzzle RPG with focus on story, combat and world building. Inspired by games like Puzzle Quest, Scrabble and Bookwork Adventures
    [*]For Windows, Mac, Linux and Mobile
- Next Car Game: A Motorsport With Attitude! (Ends December 1st 2013 | Thread)
  • A new demolition racer with realistic physics from Bugbear, the creators of the original Flatout series.
    [*]For Windows
- Paradise Lost: First Contact (Ends December 1st 2013 | Thread)
  • 2D side scroller adventure with unique pixel art. Take the role of an Alien plant trying to escape from a scientific facility
    [*]For Windows, Mac & Linux. With PS3, PS4, Vita, and Wii-U stretch goals
- The Mandate (Ends December 2nd 2013 | Thread)
  • A 3D space opera real time strategy RPG, lead a crew through the galaxy where they will adapt and grow as they fight along side you.
- STASIS - 2D Isometric SciFi Horror Adventure Game. (Ends December 7th 2013 | Thread)
  • A 2D isometric cyber punk inspired point and click adventure with detailed pre-rendered environments. Demo available.
    [*]For Windows
- Howler Arcade Controller (Ends December 8th 2013)
  • All in one open source arcade controller. keyboard/ mouse/ joystick control + RBG LED drive and accelerometer
- The 7th Guest 3: The Collector (Ends December 8th 2013 | Thread)
  • Third game in the classic point and click adventure series 7th Guest. features real time 3D environments and FMV live action cutscenes.
-
Life Is Feudal
(Ends December 15h 2013 | Thread)
  • 3D sandbox MMORPG in which a player tries to survive a medieval fictional world.
    [*]For Windows

Julian Gollop will turn to kickstarter for Chaos Reborn, early next year.

Gollop said:
Kickstarter for Chaos Reborn

It's nigh time for an update on Chaos Reborn developments. After some discussions with several publishers, I have decided to go for a Kickstarter campaign early next year. I will be attempting to raise funds for a downloadable, DRM free, PC/Mac/Linux version of the game - everything included (no free-to-play or in-app-purchases). If I raise extra funds then I will consider other platforms, but the initial version will be PC focussed.
I have expanded my team and I have a small, but highly talented group of developers here in Sofia ready to go full time, funds permitting. We are busy preparing materials for the Kickstarter campaign, so watch this space for further updates.

http://www.gollopgames.com/2013/11/kickstarter-for-chaos-reborn.html

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Not sure if this is the right place for this. I already made a thread in the OT, but maybe this is more appropriate. I am writing a novel about gamers and what drives them psychologically to play games and what consequences can come from too much or too immersive a level of escapism . It's set around on the supposed VR era that's been around the bend for a few decades, and the metaphorical vehicle for this is a dystopian speculative fiction journey into the New York City underground. Here's the link, if anyone would be willing to help out, however small....I'd be willing to hug you with my brain forever.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neurotica/escape-a-novel

disap.ed

Why does the Boogerman kickstarter campaign fail so bad?
It has music of the effin Grant Kirkhope!
Really, really disappointed that this won't happen (for now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom