• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Epic Mickey 2 sold only 270k copies in US? (not accurate)

Shaanyboi

Banned
This is a series of wasted potential. It sucks to see, especially considering Specter's enthusiasm for the brand and everything, but.... gahhh.... Sorry dude, but you are not a designer of platformers.

ugoo18

The first game at least tried to be ambitious, despite its flaws.

The second one was anything but. Esp. the omission of Wii Remote control from the Super Wii version. WTF was that?

WTF....

Glad i cancelled my order of the WiiU version and put that money on Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate instead.

antitrop

I remember a time when Spector used to be a name that was enough to get me to buy a game blind. Those days are long long gone.
And this is why the association of a game with one single name has always been a bad thing.

Unless, of course, that one person created the entire game themselves.

Oppo

I'm not picking fights, I'm just responding to the "source." He either made it up completely, or saw only one SKU and rounded down. But even that rounding doesn't make a lot of sense, since it's a decent chunk.

And i'm outtie!

What is this? Seriously? Explain your position.

I'm not sure where you get your ironclad info, it may well be legit, but to my uneducated eye it looks like you just ran into the thread, said NUH UH and bailed.

guek

Banned

I'm not sure where you get your ironclad info, it may well be legit, but to my uneducated eye it looks like you just ran into the thread, said NUH UH and bailed.

John Harker
Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

I really wish these games could have executed a game close to what the concept art evoked.

QHLYC.jpg

D7P6P.jpg

I was pretty hyped after seeing how dark and artistically surreal the art was and theennnn...they announced it for Wii and I knew it just wasn't going to look anything like that. Really killed any hype I had for it.

freddy

Banned

It means the OP is basically bullshit. Take it or leave it.

DjRoomba

Banned
I really wish these games could have executed a game close to what the concept art evoked.

I was pretty hyped after seeing how dark and artistically surreal the art was and theennnn...they announced it for Wii and I knew it just wasn't going to look anything like that. Really killed any hype I had for it.

Concept art was amazing, yes we're all dissapointed they didn't go that direction. But at least the first game had hints of that and ended up being a decent, if flawed, old-school platformer. This second game has none of that darkness and is amateurish in every way. I'm surprised the same team made it and executed a sequel in such a wrong way.

JazzmanZ

I had high hopes for the series, I thought the first one was alright despite the finicky camera and the unused content.

playing the Epic Mickey 2 demo pretty much lowered them greatly, the voice acting is horrible, and theres too much wasted potential.

Warren, you have an ENORMOUS library of characters that have been forgotten, and yet you never seem to use any of the good ones, where are the characters from Song of the south? Anything from the black cauldron? The three caballeros for god sakes? Oswald was great, the gremlins are fine, but why in the world did you choose Peter pan, The jungle book and Sleeping beauty stuff for the game? Disney is remembered for those movies, wheres movies like Tron, Pete's Dragon and Bedknobs and Broomsticks don't even exist to the general public. (through Tron is more well known now, Thanks Kingdom hearts II)

My point is Warren had everything he needed to make a game about Mickey and things time forgot and squandered it all.

Zaventem

Give it to From Software.

Tzeentch

It means the OP is basically bullshit. Take it or leave it.
So a drive-by "NUH UH" then.

Oh yeah, well MY unnamed source says the game sold 10 copies across all platforms. And my source is 2x your source +1 no takebacks I'm rubber you're glue.

jmls1121

Banned
Really, really sad. I respect the hell out of Warren, still agree with most of his gaming philosophy, but he seems unable to make a good game anymore. And the concept is so good. Such a shame.

Erethian

So a drive-by "NUH UH" then.

Oh yeah, well MY unnamed source says the game sold 10 copies across all platforms. And my source is 2x your source +1 no takebacks I'm rubber you're glue.

John Harker has access to NPD sales data. If he says the figure in the OP is inaccurate, then it is.

The Lamp

Why were people expecting Epic Mickey to sell well? You do know we are in a new age and era of gaming, right?

What exactly do you mean by this/what exactly does that have to do with anything?

Apparently the sequel was mediocre and it wasn't marketed very effectively so of course it didn't sell well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
damn, this pretty much destroys every chance of making a good game out of that franchise

Even the 3DS version, which should have been a shoe-in at being good, ended up the way it did... Why can't anyone make a good Mickey game today? They were pumping good/competent ones out like every month in the 16 bit era.

Effect

Didn't this happen with another game that was a Wii exclusive? It did really well only for the sequel to be multiplatform (with possibly more attention and money on the HD versions) and fail horribly all around and the game simply not be as good as the first?

Edit:

The Wii Curse claims another victim;
De Blob THQ
U Draw THQ
GoldenEye Eurocom

Please be safe Junction Point

There we go. I was thinking of De Blob but forgot the same pretty much happen with uDraw and Goldeneye as well.

M-PG71C

I gave the first one a chance and it sucked balls. My wife and I were never more bored with a game than that one. So the second one never had a chance in hell with me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The first sign EM1 might not turn out great for me was when Spector started hyping up the morality system.

A morality system. In a character-based platformer. His proudest innovation was copying something he did a decade ago.

For some reason, it worked well in an FPS, but I was fairly sure it wouldn't work as well in a character based platformer.

the first game, every hardcore gamer and website (read 4chan and gaf) saw the concept art and had a collective wank session expecting a dark, MATURE GAME FOR MATURE GAMERS and got their hopes up hella high.

then it was announced to wii, game play shown, and everyone and their grandmother that was expecting a dark Disney based game play that went beyond kingdom hearts was obviously distraught.

however they still hoped that at least the game answered some desires in terms of platforming mechanics, bringin back an aging icon, and just being a fun game. and lots of people bought it thinking that.

WRONG. ON. ALL. ACCOUNTS!

the fact a sequel was announced so fast when it was obvious A) the dark setting was never going to be there b) the painting mechanic was gimmicky c) the wii controls actually left people with a sour taste in their mouth just screams of poor planning and reception.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Wii SKU of Epic Mickey 2, on its own, sold more than the figure in the title.

(Not to say I think the sales were good, hahaha)

I had high hopes for the series, I thought the first one was alright despite the finicky camera and the unused content.

playing the Epic Mickey 2 demo pretty much lowered them greatly, the voice acting is horrible, and theres too much wasted potential.

Warren, you have an ENORMOUS library of characters that have been forgotten, and yet you never seem to use any of the good ones, where are the characters from Song of the south? Anything from the black cauldron? The three caballeros for god sakes? Oswald was great, the gremlins are fine, but why in the world did you choose Peter pan, The jungle book and Sleeping beauty stuff for the game? Disney is remembered for those movies, wheres movies like Tron, Pete's Dragon and Bedknobs and Broomsticks don't even exist to the general public. (through Tron is more well known now, Thanks Kingdom hearts II)

My point is Warren had everything he needed to make a game about Mickey and things time forgot and squandered it all.

The game (well, the first at least, I haven't played the second) works better as a tribute to pre-Snow White Disney, the Shorts, and Disneyland/world than to Disney's whole canon.

Effect

When Epic Mickey 1 came out Disney sort of treated it as a event. It got a decent push from them. None of that was done for EM2 from what I recall. Which was weird because this was the first time Oswald was suppose to speak. I figured that would get some attention. Could be wrong but don't think it did.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Even the 3DS version, which should have been a shoe-in at being good, ended up the way it did... Why can't anyone make a good Mickey game today? They were pumping good/competent ones out like every month in the 16 bit era.

I think it's a mix between the necessity of making a 3D game insteada 2D one, thus bringing a lot more complications to the table, and some serious lack of good designers. They definitely read the wrong textbooks and decided collectathons + awful camera + super-simple gameplay would have made a great game
About the 3DS one, I'm honestly baffled at how Spector decided it was ready to ship in that sorry state

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
where are the characters from Song of the south?
...You know how Disney puts their films in the so-called "Disney Vault" every so often?

Song of the South has been in the "Disney Is Really Hoping You Forget This Ever Existed Vault" since the 1980s.

JazzmanZ

...You know how Disney puts their films in the so-called "Disney Vault" every so often?

Song of the South has been in the "Disney Is Really Hoping You Forget This Ever Existed Vault" since the 1980s.
but that's my point, they belong in the game to how utterly forgettable they are, I know they aren't afraid to display some of the cartoon characters from them in the theme parks and cruise lines, whats wrong with including them in the game?

Tookay

The game that we wanted - that the concept art evoked - was never going to happen for the very reason it got us all excited in the first place: Corporate Disney was never going to release a game starring its franchise mascot with a somber spin on its properties, not in this day and age. They're too conscious and protective of their brands for them to ever make something as fucked up as we were hoping.

The concept pieces were an amusing DeviantArt dream, nothing more.

Let the count down begin till Warren Spector forming a new company and starting a kick starter for the spiritual successor to system shock..... exclusively on ios.

JazzmanZ

The game that we wanted - that the concept art evoked - was never going to happen for the very reason it got us all excited in the first place: Corporate Disney was never going to release a game starring its franchise mascot with a somber spin on its properties, not in this day and age. They're too conscious and protective of their brands for them to ever make something as fucked up as we were hoping.

The concept pieces were an amusing DeviantArt dream, nothing more.

actually...you have it the other way around!
Warren didn't want to take it as dark as the concept art did, the concepts were merely tests to see how far disney would allow it.

which is a real shame, because we almost ended up with narwhal epcot center land.

AniHawk

I will never believe Sonic can be good again, Anihawk, I've given up on it! NEVER!

You can't trick me, Anihawk! I know your ways, your filthy treacherous traps!

P...probably has some fucked up anti-Sonic physics or something too, first thing I'd notice! "Anihawk says this is great, well I'll be damned... fuck is this floaty shit? Sonic are you serious?"

well it is kinda floaty, but the levels are built around that. it doesn't feel as awkward as lbp can.

there's a lot of effort in sonic colors. camera angles are usually fixed and i don't remember actually losing sonic among the chaos. the music is great, the game looks great, and it knows not to burden the player with non-sonic sections or story. the hub world is easy to get around (it's like a 2d mario game, thank god). levels alternate between being short little challenges (maybe a minute long at most) to 5-minute long obstacle courses.

you're rarely forced to use the wisp powers, and the point to using them is to explore the levels and find red rings. find enough red rings and you unlock multiplayer levels, which are actually more platforming levels done with a computerized aesthetic in 3d (and you can complete them without a second player, so basically it's a platforming game that rewards you with platforming). oh, and the way you get a high score is not to 'gotta go fast', but to know the levels, find all the rings, and do stylish bonuses when you're in wisp form or jumping around the level.

it's not perfect. there are some glitches in later levels, and the level design isn't ever great. you won't find the highs of a super mario galaxy here, but it is a good platformer with good production values and an amazing presentation.

AniHawk

De Blob THQ
U Draw THQ
GoldenEye Eurocom

i believe even nba jam sold better on the wii, although that's just retail. and that was after the whole debacle where ea against the game heavily.

no more heroes ps3 didn't do very well either. of course, ubisoft had kinda killed the franchise at that point when they sent nmh2 to die.

Such a wasted potential, everytime I hear Warren speaking about the game (1 or 2) and then I play the final result...
WTF happened in the middle?
The first game was mediocre but you have a little hope the second one would improve, HA! the second one is an atrocious piece of trash.

Forgotten disneyland... what a big lie that was.
-Where was the first Frontierland with the stagecoach ride, Rainbow Caverns minetrain.(I know its done,badly, in the second game) Why dont make a tribute to the old and magnificent show of the Golden Horseshoe Cafe, with Slue Foot Sue and Pecos Bill in cartoon form, that are even part of a fucking forgotten disney short in one of the package movies!
-Where are the country bear Jamboree's crying because Winnie the Pooh took their jobs? What a magnificent Splash Mountain/Song of the South and the Country Bears land would have been.
-Why the fuck was Tomorrowland Tron converted when it has some of the richest forgotten disneyland history of all, for goodness sake? Adventure Thru Inner Space, Rocket to the Moon... You could even create inhabitants of the land with the family characters in Carroussel of Progress! Even characters of American Sings like Eagle Sam and all the animals! Why not use the old and loved Mary Blair murals instead of fucking Tronifiying all! Uniting adventure thru inner space, the old submarine voyage, rocket to the moon and Space Mountain would have made an amazing dungeon for the land.
-Pinguins of Mary Poppins and sterotypical people of 1920 (of course animatronics) in Main Street instead of the old cartoons, that could have lived in Ostown! Why add fucking hook pirates to every land?! Thats as cheap as you can get.
-The tiki birds could have been characters in Adventureland (and pirates, instead of mixing them with every other land in the game). Also skippers of Jungle Cruise dressed like real vintage explorers. Unite it with New Orleans Square, and you can get the Pirates and Haunted mansion dungeons on the same big land. And why dont mix it with the old stories and haunted mansions that where never done, becuase thats another log history you can take ideas form.
-And worst of all... WHERES THE FUCKING DISNEYLAND MUSIC! The soundtrack of both games is a disgrace and an insult to the memory of people like X-Atencio and the Sherman Brothers.

So easy to do a good game with all the amazing history Warren had, so easy to create a Zelda clone with a whole open sandbox park, with land hubs acting as villages and overworld, with real forgotten inhabitants of each land, and the the mix of rides of each land making big dungeons.

But they had to fuck up the gamplay, the disney history, the camera, the music... and intead of working all those thing out with the second game they decided to add co-op and fuck the game even more.

Some of the most atrocious design decissions I have ever seen on a game. The sad thing is, it seems like Warren wanted to make a great game, but we dont know if money, time, an incompetent team or disney being idiots (or all this united) fucked the whole process. Or maybe Warren doesnt remember to do good games anymore.

Only the live action part. Disney loves to show the cartoon parts, and the songs, and Zip a De Doo Dah is like the emblem song of most disneylands, the once its most used in all things. And dont forget Splash Mountain.
But for them, Uncle remus is now a frog.

lets be friends :)

Hahaha, this is the only game that makes me this mad, becuase im a really big disney fan (and even more disneyland fan), so Im pretty sad to see all this huge wasted potetial going down the drain.
Disneyland history alone is so rich they could have made a great game, but it seems no one in the idnustry knows how to make it.
Im making a game right now, of course is nothing about disney, but well, it has its spirit. Lets see if it works out and we can make the second one thats my true vision of a good, epic mickey game, even its nothing about Disney.

Dalthien

Didn't Dalthien say EM2 LTD was at about half of what EM1 did in its first month, 3DS version ( the second best selling SKU if compared with the others)?

Yep.

Keep in mind that EM1 launched in Dec, whereas EM2 launched in Nov. Even so, the YTD for EM2 is still only about half of EM1 launch sales, and that's including the 3DS version in the total. And the 3DS version outsold everything except the Wii version - so yeah, EM2 took a big tumble.

Fun fact (for Nov+Dec 2012):
EM1 (Wii) > EM2 (360/WiiU/PS3 versions)

drspeedy

Hahaha, this is the only game that makes me this mad, becuase im a really big disney fan (and even more disneyland fan), so Im pretty sad to see all this huge wasted potetial going down the drain.

Let's not forget that Warren expressed interest in revisiting Ducktales... I liked EM1 (haven't gotten to 2 yet), but if the game just repeats the sins of the first one as it seems from critics and reviews, perhaps we're better off letting these IP's stay dormant for a while, until Disney or JP has the right approach and can make a truly great game.

If the trend continues and we see a similar response to a mediocre Ducktales: WiiU, it would pretty much spell disaster for any future endeavors outside cheap license cash-ins and shovelware.

What, exactly, is that supposed to mean?

Certain types of games do not sell as well as they did before. To my knowledge, I don't think platformers are as popular as they once were. Now I am not sure about the Wii though. I didn't know the first once sold well. I thought I heard it sold quite average. Then again, it did have a huge license behind it, so that is probably why people expected more I suppose.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
De Blob THQ
U Draw THQ
GoldenEye Eurocom

i believe even nba jam sold better on the wii, although that's just retail. and that was after the whole debacle where ea against the game heavily.

no more heroes ps3 didn't do very well either. of course, ubisoft had kinda killed the franchise at that point when they sent nmh2 to die.

See also: the Resident Evil Chronicles lightgun games and HotD Overkill. Dead Space Extraction probably would have bombed, too, if it weren't given away for free with DS2.

Such a wasted potential, everytime I hear Warren speaking about the game (1 or 2) and then I play the final result...
WTF happened in the middle?
The first game was mediocre but you have a little hope the second one would improve, HA! the second one is an atrocious piece of trash.

Forgotten disneyland... what a big lie that was.
-Where was the first Frontierland with the stagecoach ride, Rainbow Caverns minetrain.(I know its done,badly, in the second game) Why dont make a tribute to the old and magnificent show of the Golden Horseshoe Cafe, with Slue Foot Sue and Pecos Bill in cartoon form, that are even part of a fucking forgotten disney short in one of the package movies!
-Where are the country bear Jamboree's crying because Winnie the Pooh took their jobs? What a magnificent Splash Mountain/Song of the South and the Country Bears land would have been.
-Why the fuck was Tomorrowland Tron converted when it has some of the richest forgotten disneyland history of all, for goodness sake? Adventure Thru Inner Space, Rocket to the Moon... You could even create inhabitants of the land with the family characters in Carroussel of Progress! Even characters of American Sings like Eagle Sam and all the animals! Why not use the old and loved Mary Blair murals instead of fucking Tronifiying all! Uniting adventure thru inner space, the old submarine voyage, rocket to the moon and Space Mountain would have made an amazing dungeon for the land.
-Pinguins of Mary Poppins and sterotypical people of 1920 (of course animatronics) in Main Street instead of the old cartoons, that could have lived in Ostown! Why add fucking hook pirates to every land?! Thats as cheap as you can get.
-The tiki birds could have been characters in Adventureland (and pirates, instead of mixing them with every other land in the game). Also skippers of Jungle Cruise dressed like real vintage explorers. Unite it with New Orleans Square, and you can get the Pirates and Haunted mansion dungeons on the same big land. And why dont mix it with the old stories and haunted mansions that where never done, becuase thats another log history you can take ideas form.
-And worst of all... WHERES THE FUCKING DISNEYLAND MUSIC! The soundtrack of both games is a disgrace and an insult to the memory of people like X-Atencio and the Sherman Brothers.

So easy to do a good game with all the amazing history Warren had, so easy to create a Zelda clone with a whole open sandbox park, with land hubs acting as villages and overworld, with real forgotten inhabitants of each land, and the the mix of rides of each land making big dungeons.

But they had to fuck up the gamplay, the disney history, the camera, the music... and intead of working all those thing out with the second game they decided to add co-op and fuck the game even more.

Some of the most atrocious design decissions I have ever seen on a game. The sad thing is, it seems like Warren wanted to make a great game, but we dont know if money, time, an incompetent team or disney being idiots (or all this united) fucked the whole process. Or maybe Warren doesnt remember to do good games anymore.

these were my unmet hopes with the original game as well

Top Bottom