• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers |OT| Zero G, With Cliffy B

gossi

all that negative videos posted on gaf made me want to try this game out.
I am looking for some new multiplayer game either way. I have to ask though, will I find a good connection match in europe? That low player base makes me nervous.

I can only talk for PS4, I haven't played PC since the beta.

The longest matchmaking I've had is 15 seconds since launch. I play on and off peak in U.K. The highest ping I've had is 49ms.

The game is great and it's heartbreaking to see the gaming community deliberately kick down a game they haven't even played.

Budi

Thank you for your answer. I will be getting this on Steam.
Even that 2 minutes doesn't sound that bad, I sometimes wait over 4 in Gears 4 on Xbox One and I think it's more populated game.
Yeah I used to play Dota 2 and Wow a lot. In Dota I remember queueing for 5 minutes even. With Wow it was sometimes even 20 minutes and probably more for certain game modes =D It's quite insane to me that I've been getting matches so fast in LB considering how popular those other games are. With that 2 minutes in LB I ment that then is when I change to US servers, so I never waited more because of that. Have fun with the game mate! =)

In other news I just got the Frenzy achievement for Assassin. Can't believe I got it so fast, checked from the stats and I've played only 1h23mins on her. Now I'm only missing 150 wins on any mode and prestige level, then I have it all. Besides Telltale games I don't think I've "Platinumed" many games.

Edit: Also similar thing I just mentioned happened. People left the lobby so we were doing 4vs1 warmup for few minutes until the only one on the enemy team left so the lobby got broken. I requeued and it took about 30 seconds to get a match.
Gravity Masters 5v5 Tournament starting.

https://www.twitch.tv/initiogaming
Thanks, I'll give it a watch. Still got adrenaline pumping from my last game with the achievement so I need to lie down and relax a bit =P

Yeah I used to play Dota 2 and Wow a lot. In Dota I remember queueing for 5 minutes even. With Wow it was sometimes even 20 minutes and probably more for certain game modes =D It's quite insane to me that I've been getting matches so fast in LB considering how popular those other games are. With that 2 minutes in LB I ment that then is when I change to US servers, so I never waited more because of that. Have fun with the game mate! =)

In other news I just got the Frenzy achievement for Assassin. Can't believe I got it so fast, checked from the stats and I've played only 1h23mins on her. Now I'm only missing 150 wins on any mode and prestige level, then I have it all. Besides Telltale games I don't think I've "Platinumed" many games.

They're constantly updating the matchmaking to try to keep an even number of players in each game, I've never waited in queue for more than 2 minutes. It's also probably because there aren't as many people grouping up in LawBreakers, so it doesn't have to try to match skill levels and group size.

Tokubetsu

yeah don't forget you can switch regions too, that what a lot of regulars are doing, tracking peak times by region and switching

Zeneric

I was so wasted last night I went 3 kills and 18 deaths. I was legit shocked when I seen that stats. Had to stop playing. Weed + Beer don't go well together for fast paced (and slow paced?) games. I just pretty much spam uselessly in games, almost like not caring, when I'm high and buzzed/drunk. Then the stats - had to stop.

Haven't played in about two weeks and just recently got into a game in slightly longer than usual <1m. We still good &#128525;

I get into a game in under 10 seconds still, EU PS4. But it is usually a losing battle midgame. But i finish that as the next one will be filled out and balanced.

Weston

If you look off in the distance on Reactor you can see the boardwalk and skyline from Promenade.
tCpU6XT.png

You don't get much of a chance to look around at the maps but they have lots of inaccessible areas and interesting details to them. I like that on Red Falls the Breakers spawn is an armory with costumes and weapons and the Law side has the wall broken out with one of their ships outside.

Budi

My wish would be having those double XP weekends more often we just had. Or for any other "event". I do think though that the feeling from winning a close match is all the reward I need =P

Budi

Oh and btw, earlier somebody here shared a " How to go Fast! Mobility and Momentum Guide" from Youtuber called FrothyOmen. I just got into watching it yesterday and checked some other LB related videos from him too. Seems like a pleasant enough fellow and gives some great insight to the game. So anyone looking for guides or gameplay tips should really check him out. Playlist for his LB videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLcqVcCC0-Q&list=PLD1fk2ODxOaadFAYP2iLeeZUDG0TlOpcl

Kayant

Oh and btw, earlier somebody here shared a " How to go Fast! Mobility and Momentum Guide" from Youtuber called FrothyOmen. I just got into watching it yesterday and checked some other LB related videos from him too. Seems like a pleasant enough fellow and gives some great insight to the game. So anyone looking for guides or gameplay tips should really check him out. Playlist for his LB videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLcqVcCC0-Q&list=PLD1fk2ODxOaadFAYP2iLeeZUDG0TlOpcl
Speaking of which found this video from him with some helpful tips using console commands

fov 130(Any amount although after 140 iirc it's not really playable
crosshairstyle 1 (0 and 2 are also acceptable parameters. 0 being default)

This has to be set everygame.

Lucifon

I agree, leveling is wayyyyy too slow.
Agreed. They need to solve this. Overwatch got away with it for a long time but Lawbreakers can't afford too. It's a rate that's clearly tipped by the drive to push people to buy loot boxes but instead it does the opposite to me.

Frothyomen also does some good LB streaming. I was watching him yesterday just tear people apart as Enforcer. He really likes Titan though but he played a range of classes.

Budi

Frothyomen also does some good LB streaming. I was watching him yesterday just tear people apart as Enforcer. He really likes Titan though but he played a range of classes.
I probably should take a look on how he does it, I started with Enforcer but Vanguard took quickly over. Love the much better movement options and Pulsar is a godsend.

I probably should take a look on how he does it, I started with Enforcer but Vanguard took quickly over. Love the much better movement options and Pulsar is a godsend.

Yeah, its funny how at first Enforcer seemed the braindead easy class but as the collective skill level of the community went up he's gotten harder and harder to play. You really need to pick your battles and manage the stim wisely to win most fights, as well as have perfect headshot tracking.

Meccs

Playerbase seems to have stabilized. Now all it needs to do is go up!
Stable between 100 and 280 people. I don't see how they can get people to play this game if it stays at 30 bucks. Even the ones that bought it didn't play it for long. You can say "but it's great, people just need to play it" but even the ones that did left shortly after. It's the price combined with what is out there on the market already.

It's 9 in the morning where I live and Gigantic has 5x the amount of players, Dirty Bomb has 12x that. Those niche F2P games have a constant stream of new players that keep it alive. These games would be dead in the water too with a price tag. LB needs a similar model. Free rotation every week or something and then 30 bucks to unlock all classes. They already have the loot boxes stuff in the game.
What I am saying is, a free weekend or more promotion won't do it. It's too niche and has a price tag... and this years big AAA titles aren't even out yet so it will only get worse.

Kayant

Stable between 100 and 280 people. I don't see how they can get people to play this game if it stays at 30 bucks. Even the ones that bought it didn't play it for long. You can say "but it's great, people just need to play it" but even the ones that did left shortly after. It's the price combined with what is out there on the market already.
At the same same time if there is no entry barrier what stops people leaving for similar reasons to the one that brought it?

See Evolve has a perfect illustration of this.
It's 9 in the morning where I live and Gigantic has 5x the amount of players, Dirty Bomb has 12x that. Those niche F2P games have a constant stream of new players that keep it alive. These games would be dead in the water too with a price tag. LB needs a similar model. Free rotation every week or something and then 30 bucks to unlock all classes. They already have the loot boxes stuff in the game.
What I am saying is, a free weekend or more promotion won't do it. It's too niche and has a price tag... and this years big AAA titles aren't even out yet so it will only get worse.
So lets say we get huge increase in playerbase that means increase development costs in terms of running servers and the like but unlike before where there was a guaranteed(albeit of course refunds) return in revenue they instead rely on lootboxes/hero packs or similar(A bad model imo for this game) which are optional. It's a given in a F2P the majority of wouldn't be paying these things that help sustain development. Now the question is would those that do be enough to offset the increase in running cost and would it be a worthwhile avenue given it's potential to rightfully upset existing playerbase which could also put some off entirely from the game.

Then is also the factor to consider will similar things happen to it like with Evolve after a month of going F2P?

F2P advantages atm seem more of a short-term fix/boost than a long lasting solution.

dugdug

Banned
Stable between 100 and 280 people. I don't see how they can get people to play this game if it stays at 30 bucks. Even the ones that bought it didn't play it for long.

I wonder if it's the same situation on PS4. I have about 25 hours into it so far, which is a lot for me.

Meccs

At the same same time if there is no entry barrier what stops people leaving for similar reasons to the one that brought it?
People will leave for all kinds of reasons regardless of entry fee or not. It's just that new ones will come easier and replace them faster.
See Evolve has a perfect illustration of this.

So lets say we get huge increase in playerbase that means increase development costs in terms of running servers and the like but unlike before where there was a guaranteed(albeit of course refunds) return in revenue they instead rely on lootboxes/hero packs or similar(A bad model imo for this game) which are optional. It's a given in a F2P the majority of wouldn't be paying these things that help sustain development. Now the question is would those that do be enough to offset the increase in running cost and would it be a worthwhile avenue given it's potential to rightfully upset existing playerbase which could also put some off entirely from the game.

Then is also the factor to consider will similar things happen to it like with Evolve after a month of going F2P?

F2P advantages atm seem more of a short-term fix/boost than a long lasting solution.
The driving point is the constant stream of new players. I just checked out Dirty Bomb. Only because Brink went F2p and people said check out DB it's what Brink should have been. I loved it and bought the biggest Merc pack an hour later. There is absolutely no way I would have done it if I had to pay first. I thought the game sucks and isn't for me up to this point.

They don't need to remove the price tag for the whole package, just for entry and add a hero rotation. (or something similar, it's just one example) If the game is great and people love it (which I am sure they will) they'll gladly pay the 30 bucks. That don't have the money still can play and add to the player base etc etc.

And I am not saying it's the perfect solution. Evolve is a good example of where it didn't work. But I would argue that running in circles chasing something isn't really a fun thing to do in a game. It was just bad.

73 players was the lowest point today. It's at 205 18:30 CET, prime time. And Destiny 2 PC isn't even out....

Edit: There is a good chance nothing will save it and people are just not interested in more arena shooters... this is possible as well.

Kayant

Got a lucky 3 piece kill with bloodhound rockets &#128512;
https://streamable.com/zrbih
People will leave for all kinds of reasons regardless of entry fee or not. It's just that new ones will come easier and replace them faster.

The driving point is the constant stream of new players. I just checked out Dirty Bomb. Only because Brink went F2p and people said check out DB it's what Brink should have been. I loved it and bought the biggest Merc pack an hour later. There is absolutely no way I would have done it if I had to pay first. I thought the game sucks and isn't for me up to this point.

They don't need to remove the price tag for the whole package, just for entry and add a hero rotation. (or something similar, it's just one example) If the game is great and people love it (which I am sure they will) they'll gladly pay the 30 bucks. That don't have the money still can play and add to the player base etc etc.

And I am not saying it's the perfect solution. Evolve is a good example of where it didn't work. But I would argue that running in circles chasing something isn't really a fun thing to do in a game. It was just bad.

73 players was the lowest point today. It's at 205 18:30 CET, prime time. And Destiny 2 PC isn't even out....

Edit: There is a good chance nothing will save it and people are just not interested in more arena shooters... this is possible as well.
Fair enough my viewpoint is F2P(Am not impressed to F2P as model just not in this case) more negatively harms this game longterm than anything. Based on the landscape of arena shooters or similar like LB It seems the problem is more grounded with the landscape( And of course the game's current issues).

A new LawBreakers patch is incoming: http://lawbreakers.nexon.net/en/news/article/25151/pc-patch-notes-1-3
http://lawbreakers.nexon.net/en/news/article/25152/ps4-patch-notes-1-3

The biggest things to note:

1) Role Limits are being introduced in quick play. Only two of one specific role can be allowed on a team at one time.
2) Anybody who leaves during a match gets an automatic D rank.
3) The radius to deactivate the shields on the Blitzball/Battery/Uplink has been increased. The radius to contest them has been increased too.

derFeef

Conflicted towards class limits. I like it having balanced, but then if you have player not knowing the role, or forced to playing a role one does now know is not very fun.

Cmagus

I really wish they would up the XP, it takes forever earn anything in the game. Like they should be rewarding more currency in the game towards getting skins.

Top Bottom