• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Robertson (of Unseen64 fame): "NX is not aiming to compete on a power level"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teletraan1

Banned
What an odd reply.

So was your passive aggressive reply to me. You were speaking from some point of authority on the subject yet he used that bit on a woman named Hethal in the last episode of Master Chef. The last time I looked this person was not a failing business. I dont want to disturb you any further while you are at work running damage control for Nintendo so carry on.

Rodin

If they're not even targeting a PS4 in late 2016 and most likely removing the Wii U gamepad, I see no way this thing is over $200. Remember--in all of Iwata and Miyamoto's quotes about the failures of the Wii U, they mention price a ton. They saw the success of having the Wii with a low pricepoint in comparison to the other consoles. They're going right back to it.
Yeah, but they'll probably have some kind of gimmick on board and we don't know how much that will cost.

I think 179$ for the handheld and 269$ for the home is reasonable. I honestly don't see them being lower than that at the moment.

Thanks. For the Shield TV is ok but 20W/34° during gaming for a mobile device sounds way too high imho.

QaaQer

Why...? The Shield launched at $200 a couple of months ago. This console is supposedly launching in a year. The build cost will decrease for Nvidia in that time frame.
Nvidia doesn't have to pay nvidia for its chip design. Iirc, x1 & ps4 have to amd $80-$100 per device.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
handheld i have no interest.

cheaper console but relatively powerful,i am interested.

dont fuck it up and make it $250 or under. Shit if WiiU was 200 I'd prob pick it up.

reKon

Banned
Yeah, but they'll probably have some kind of gimmick on board and we don't know how much that will cost.

I think 179$ for the handheld and 269$ for the home is reasonable. I honestly don't see them being lower than that at the moment.

Thanks. For the Shield TV is ok but 20W/34° during gaming for a mobile device sounds way too high imho.

I was thinking of this being used for the console, not mobile device lol. This X1 chip is apparently more capable of doing quite a lot.

Rodin

$179/$269 are weird prices for gaming devices.
Those are roughly the prices of the regular 3DS/New 3DS (179) and Wii (259 or 269, don't remember).
I was thinking of this being used for the console, not mobile device lol. This X1 chip is apparently more capable of doing quite a lot.
Uh ok. But no way that Nintendo will partner with Nvidia and i honestly hope they'll do a bit better than 512GFLOPs for the home.

KingBroly

Banned
wow. thanks for the info.....honest question - is it worth it? had no idea. i saw 350 w/bundle deal and dropped all interest.

I think so, but I'm probably a bit biased. It has quite a few games that are very good, but it's probably worth checking out if you're interested in those games. A lot of the online games Nintendo has released still have pretty active communities as well.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Any console over $250 that isn't as powerful as PS4 in 2016/17 is a disaster in the making.

I'll bet the "gimmick" is the shared library and probably the handheld functioning as a controller for WiiU/touchscreen capability if needed. My guess is they return to an advanced version of the Wiimote and pack-in a pro controller, too.

Terrell

Idk, NX to me sounds just as cynical. From what Iwata has said, it seems that its purpose is to decrease Nintendo's production costs and increase the dollar value of each customer without actually giving customers and 3rd parties a better value proposition in return. In terms of motivation, it doesn't look any different to ambiios, dlc embrace, digital push, 3ds launch price, and wiiu.

There is some value to be had from it, though. Like with most of their approach to DLC, it's been a bit refreshing by comparison to how DLC is utilized in the rest of the industry and ends up being a moderate benefit to the consumer.

The goal of a corporation is to make money and reduce costs, and so long as the method doesn't actually hurt the consumer, there's nothing really bad to say about it. That doesn't necessarily make it a positive for anyone but Nintendo, but it's not a negative, either.

And the eShop push was an inevitability that was never going to be avoided.

Amiibo as an idea didn't hurt anything. When they started inching towards being heavy DLC figurines that were difficult to get, then it hurts the consumer.
3DS launch price and Wii U having no 3rd-party games after launch and a sparse lineup? Also hurts the consumer.

Its going to be a console/handheld hybrid, that is why is not comparable to the two newer consoles. Its not just a matter of their new console being weak. Its just practical for a handheld system to be weaker than a console.

Hermii

Any console over $250 that isn't as powerful as PS4 in 2016/17 is a disaster in the making.

I'll bet the "gimmick" is the shared library and probably the handheld functioning as a controller for WiiU/touchscreen capability if needed. My guess is they return to an advanced version of the Wiimote and pack-in a pro controller, too.

That doesn't sound too bad, but Im betting they will have at least one feature that will make us go "WTF!".

Xun

Its going to be a console/handheld hybrid, that is why is not comparable to the two newer consoles. Its not just a matter of their new console being weak. Its just practical for a handheld system to be weaker than a console.
Iwata said it wouldn't be a hybrid.

Perhaps the first release will be a handheld which can output to the TV, but they'll almost certainly release a console which can play the same games.

KAL2006

Banned
If Nintendo created a handheld (with common mobile architecture) with a price of $200 with a 540p screen how powerful of a system can they have.

Same question applies to a home system with the same mobile architecture as the handheld but super powered without the cost of portability (screen and battery) for a price of $250. How powerful of a system can they have.

Zubz

Banned
I'm not surprised by this, but that doesn't stop me from being severely disappointed... You think they'd have learned after the N64?

If Nintendo created a handheld (with common mobile architecture) with a price of $200 with a 540p screen how powerful of a system can they have.

Same question applies to a home system with the same mobile architecture as the handheld but super powered without the cost of portability (screen and battery) for a price of $250. How powerful of a system can they have.

Speaking in extremely simple terms, Wii power for the first (with modern shader tech, of course), half above Wii U for second.

Of course all depends on available memory and space on cart/disk.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm not surprised by this, but that doesn't stop me from being severely disappointed... You think they'd have learned after the N64?

But, see, the only thing they have "learned" in the past decade is that their underpowered, cheap console sold, by far, the most of any of their recent systems.

If this is true, they actually HAVE learned by following what the market is showing them.

Hermii said:
That doesn't sound too bad, but Im betting they will have at least one feature that will make us go "WTF!".

Perhaps. Maybe the Wiimote could have a glove attachment with vitality/biofeedback, etc. It would give it an instant tie-in to their QoL products.

Not at all surprising.

Nintendo never push the envelope technically.

Instead they always find new ways to exploit under powered hardware.

I hope this never changes. We need one of the console platforms to consistently target gameplay mechanics and the fun factor rather than joining in the technology arms race against the others.

It took Sony's PS3 $599 pricing fuck up for them to realise that software rather than hardware specifications sells systems.

Microsoft shitting the bed with the bungled XBone launch and back tracking may actually turn them into a better game publisher and developer because the technical angle has already been lost this generation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Übermatik;170955704 said:
Speaking in extremely simple terms, Wii power for the first (with modern shader tech, of course), half above Wii U for second.

Wait, wouldn't Wii U-like visuals (not power, mind, visuals) be possible for a Late 2016 handheld with a 540p screen / top screen (which would surely help in getting Wii U-like "visuals") at 199.99 max?

What would be the point in releasing a perfectly regular console two years late to the console generation anyway?

Yep. It is probably best to think of it as Nintendo's second attempt to bring out a console for this generation instead of thinking that it's to compete with the PS5 in conjunction with it also being a more natural successor/replacement to the 3DS.

Drek

Übermatik;170955704 said:

The Vita is significantly more powerful than the Wii, has a 540p native res screen, and was $250 at launch with an OLED screen. It was released in late December 2011.

The handheld could probably be comparable to the Wii U in terms of total horsepower at that price point. Nintendo generally makes 720p/60 fps Wii U games, so there would be some resource saving by dropping down to 540p, letting the games look a bit better. They could also potentially use very similar hardware as the Wii U, redesigned for even further energy savings, and instead under clock the chipset to where it would be Wii U levels at 540p in order to extent battery life.

If you're talking about $250 for a console in 2017, close to XB1/PS4 would be a pretty legitimate target. It is entirely possible the PS4 will be $300 at that point and selling at a profit. The XB1's price will always be hindered by the transistors soaked up by the EDRAM to make up for DDR3 versus GDDR5, the NX could avoid that and be very much in-line with XB1 specs at $250 by then.

geordiemp

Not at all surprising.

We need one of the console platforms to consistently target gameplay mechanics and the fun factor rather than joining in the technology arms race against the others.

You do realise that fun / gameplay and having strong hardware / good graphics is not mutually exclusive (either / or) ?

For £ 60 games, many expect it all in 2015, and for god damn sure in 2016 / 17.

Having capable hardware does not have ANYTHING to do with games other than run them better with less uglies on screen

Drek

Not at all surprising.

I hope this never changes. We need one of the console platforms to consistently target gameplay mechanics and the fun factor rather than joining in the technology arms race against the others.

It took Sony's PS3 $599 pricing fuck up for them to realise that software rather than hardware specifications sells systems.

Microsoft shitting the bed with the bungled XBone launch and back tracking may actually turn them into a better game publisher and developer because the technical angle has already been lost this generation.

The PS4 is arguably the most focus built video game console to date with the specific intention of providing all game designers regardless of background (console, PC, etc.) the easiest, most standardized, and most easily published on platform ever made.

Contrast that with the Wii U where a ton of R&D and hardware BoM was soaked up on a tablet controller that Nintendo has shown no true purpose for other than off-screen play, or the Wii U where they pushed a controller gimmick that caught on with casuals but was so lacking in real innovation that they themselves abandoned it the very next hardware iteration.

Nintendo makes great software that is fun and focused on tight mechanics. That isn't a result of their hardware and sometimes is actually in spite of their hardware.

sörine

Banned
The Vita is significantly more powerful than the Wii, has a 540p native res screen, and was $250 at launch with an OLED screen. It was released in late December 2011.
Vita also relied incredibly marked up propietary memory to offset hardware costs. We don't even know if the hardware ever drew a profit on it's own, Sony had a write down on it just last FY I believe.

Votron

Are we actually believing this guy 100%? I mean it is common sense that this would be at least on par with the Xbox one...in which it is still very much comparable with the ps4. Anything less than that would just basically a rebatched WiiU. I really don't think Nintendo would be that stupid twice in a row to release yet again hardware from the last generation in 2016 only... Unless they have another gimmick with It again. We shall see

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
tumblr_inline_n8z0f2G7VV1qztn1k.gif

Socordia

Banned
Are we actually believing this guy 100%? I mean it is common sense that this would be at least on par with the Xbox one...in which it is still very much comparable with the ps4. Anything less than that would just basically a rebatched WiiU. I really don't think Nintendo would be that stupid twice in a row to release yet again hardware from the last generation in 2016 only... Unless they have another gimmick with It again. We shall see

Get ready for disappointment.

Plinko

Are we actually believing this guy 100%? I mean it is common sense that this would be at least on par with the Xbox one...in which it is still very much comparable with the ps4. Anything less than that would just basically a rebatched WiiU.

Again, if they're targeting a cheap enough pricepoint that brings people to impulse buy, then no, it is absolutely not common sense that it would be on par with XB1.

Votron said:
I really don't think Nintendo would be that stupid twice in a row to release yet again hardware from the last generation in 2016 only... Unless they have another gimmick with It again. We shall see

I don't get where this is coming from. Nintendo WAS stupid to release the Wii U, but not just because it was underpowered. It was stupid because it was A) Too expensive (which they know), B) Marketed/named horribly (which they know) and C) Pushed third parties away (presumably when Nintendo lowered the initial specs and didn't tell the third parties until they already had games in the works). Releasing a system like this could take care of two of those issues. Third parties may not be as big of an issue this time around if the console and handheld share the same library.

Cheap pricepoint and a strong library mean it could be a very good secondary console. Remember--the Wii was an underpowered console. It was cheap. It had a draw. If they can figure out a draw, they can be successful again. Probably not Wii numbers, but successful nonetheless.

Tigress

As long as it is cheap enough for people to consider buying as addition to whatever main game console they have I don't think this will be an issue. If wii u could have been priced much cheaper it probably would have done better to even fine. Nintendo has a fan base that buys their consoles for their games and i think priced right they won't mind buying it as a supplemental console. I think though if they try to price it the same all the sudden you make it try to compete with the other consoles and then the question comes up of why should I when they get all the main 3rd party games.

reKon

Banned
They need to make the Wii U MSRP $199 already and then go from there... unless they plan on maintaining the same pricing until the NX launch

Terrell

What would be the point in releasing a perfectly regular console two years into the console generation anyway?

Well, that seems to already be in the pipeline, so at this point, you have few options.
And considering that the console generation will likely be over-extended by expensive VR peripherals (or at least they'll attempt to), who knows how long this generation will be trotted out for.

Again, if they're targeting a cheap enough pricepoint that brings people to impulse buy, then no, it is absolutely not common sense that it would be on par with XB1.

I don't get where this is coming from. Nintendo WAS stupid to release the Wii U because it was A) Too expensive (which they know), B) Marketed/named horribly (which they know) and C) Pushed third parties away (presumably when Nintendo lowered the initial specs and didn't tell the third parties until they already had games in the works). Releasing a system like this could take care of two of those issues. Third parties may not be as big of an issue this time around if the console and handheld share the same library.

Cheap pricepoint and a strong library mean it could be a very good secondary console.

Or it could mean absolutely nothing changes and it still sells like garbage. And then where will we be? Even further into the generation and saddled temporarily with a stinker yet again. At least putting some horsepower gives some maneuverability with how things can shake out.

There's no evidence to suggest that consumers have an appetite for a cheap supplementary gaming device. In fact, if anything, we have evidence that speaks to the contrary of that.

I genuinely thought were were talking about expectations from Nintendo. Apologies for misunderstanding, but you're absolutely right.

*EDIT* Upon further review I declare myself an idiot. My estimations are way off anyway, and I have no idea why. I keep forgetting it's 2015...

bachikarn

If the Nx is a platform, I can't imagine the console will only be $150. That would mean the handheld variant would have to be at least $99. The new 3ds is currently $199 I believe.

I wouldn't mind it being $150 as long as it actually had modern tech (and wasn't wasting that tech on power efficiency or a gimmick). Then it would at least be a good value proposition.

I wouldn't have thought that at least roughly matching PS4/XB1 in 2016 on a console would even be in question.

I mean, CPU-wise you can do that with ARM at a tiny (for a console) power budget, and GPU-wise 1.8 TF isn't quite the hot shit anymore either.

It's significantly faster than a WiiU CPU-wise, and also quite a bit faster in terms of GPU.

My guess is that they want a very low price point. Even then, from what you're saying, it may be easy for even the portable-NX to compete or surpass the Wii U in CPU power if it had something like a quad-core 64-bit ARM at a decent clockspeed. How close is an octo-core variant of a processor like that from the Jaguars in the XB1/PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom