• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like this is the end of the road for Tecmo!

Kasumi1970 said:
i guess fatal frame 4 on the Wii is the last fatal frame. i was hoping for a fatal frame on the 360 or ps3. i guess i can say goodbye to DOA5 and NG3.

Nah, if Tecmo goes under someone will surely buy the IPs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Strider2K99 said:
The end of an era?

Good riddance, I say. Japanese companies have terrible work ethics, and its great to see unions actually WORKING.

Well, a MS backed dev studio of Itagaki and his team of hand picked
team
ninjas
staff
seems logical IF that's what Itagaki wants.

Pachael said:
Well, Tecmo looks like it's being cut down to size.
5/10 for effort

im surprised by all of this still, Tecmo stayed with Itagaki during his sexual harassment ordeal, so i figured the company had full faith in keeping him happy..guess not

This isn't the end of the road for Tecmo.

There are many ways a large corporation can come back from this. They just probably won't be posting pretty fiscal reports for the next few quarters recovering from this.

Remember in 2002, when Capcom was like -- 20 million USD in the shitter?

kuYuri

thetrin said:
Good riddance, I say. Japanese companies have terrible work ethics, and its great to see unions actually WORKING.

I won't argue that. Looking at their list of games, the only one I really care about is Ninja Gaiden series. Though I would have liked to see what Code Cronus/Chronos/whatever was about.

This reminds me, I still need to play Rygar PS2. :lol

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1215921_1124.html

Famitsu's article has slightly more details. It's really lengthy and a lot of it is business terms and stuff, but generally it seems that Tecmo is in violations of a ton of employment contracts and regulations. People are apparently not being paid for working on public holidays and overtime, even though they should. Sounds like a fucking shitty place to work if the entire company has to sue itself to get payment for stuff that should be entitled. This makes Itagaki's completion bonus pale in comparison. :lol

If this really is the beginning of the end for Tecmo, which seems premature to say for certain at this point, I think it only makes sense that MS scoop up whatever they can since Team Ninja has long been a decently-sized attraction for the console. Fund a new Team Ninja with the DoA and NG IPs and you're ready to go. I think it'd be better if the team that stays together just started entirely new properties, though. Perfect time time to let go of the old franchises and start anew. Either way, MS would be foolish to let them leave the kingdom to another.

Tieno

IcebergSlim3000 said:
Shit, Itagaki was like that jenga piece that once you pull out the whole fucking thing comes down.
He probably got the ball rolling, what an 'asshole'.

batbeg said:
Monster Rancher you mean? Man, I wish they'd make a good Monster Rancher again :( Franchise has sucked for years.

Also, do they own SSG? I thought a Korean company owned that.

Yes, Monster Rancher.

But SSG is Tecmo's, as far as I can see.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I hope this doesnt effect Fatal Frame 4.

I hope that MS DOES scoop up Team Ninja, but Doesnt scoop up the shitty art direction and artists. I could also do without ever seeing a DoA boxart ever agin.
Itagaki is a dork and a pig... Its seems his old bosses were worse!

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Staccat0 said:
I hope this doesnt effect Fatal Frame 4.

I hope that MS DOES scoop up Team Ninja, but Doesnt scoop up the shitty art direction and artists. I could also do without ever seeing a DoA boxart ever agin.
Itagaki is a dork and a oig... Its seems his old bosses were worse!
i don,t think it will effect fatal frame 4 because Nintendo is publishing it. just like MS published Ninja Gaiden 2.

Haeleos

edit: nm forgot about Fatal Frame 4.

Talk about biting the arm that feeds. Hopefully FF4 still comes out.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Yes, Monster Rancher.

But SSG is Tecmo's, as far as I can see.

SSG is a Wii version of PangYa, an online golf game developed by Ntreev. Tecmo and Ntreev co-developed the Wii games.

duckroll

Haeleos said:
I still don't understand this fully. From the news stories, it almost seemed like they were trying to make Itagaki quit. Why would you force your only source of income out of the company!?

I'll give you one chance to prove that you read the OP before posting that. Do it.

Haeleos

duckroll said:
I'll give you one chance to prove that you read the OP before posting that. Do it.

Well it just seemed to me to counter the survival of the company pissing off so many prominent employees like that. That's all. I did read the op. Sorry for it sounding a little off tangent, but I did mean for it to be on topic.

Furoba

Tecmo has had plenty of cash reserves up until now which prevented them from being bought out. That might change if all employees sue them though.

Speevy

Banned
For some reason I thought Tecmo published the Monster Hunter games. How on earth has that company kept from folding all these years?

batbeg

ZombieSupaStar said:
Fuuuuuuck dont mess with Fatal Frame 4, its the only glimmer of hope I have for a game I want on Wii post-SMG.

T_____T

Well... Nintendo are publishing it, and isn't it coming out in like a month or two? It has to be fine, right?

...right?

Cdammen

Never cared for Tecmo. The only game they made that I liked was Fatal Frame... and even that was male chauvinistic.

Busty

Banned
I retrospect we should have known that something was up when Tecmo signed MS and Nintendo to publish two of their biggest upcoming titles for them. That smacks of a company that's having financial trouble.

When you have to get someone else to publish/distribute your own product there is something afoot.

I'm not sure why people are suddenly claiming that MS or Sony should just swoop in and start buying the IPs. I can see this whole affair rumbling on for some time, but in the end, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo or SE were to buy Tecmo wholesale.

Or what's left of it by then.

wow

So since Tecmo is basically suing itself at this point can we say something like... Tecmo is dead, long live Tecmo? Or are we going to see a mass exodus in the JP industry?

Top Bottom