• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making The Witcher 3 look like Runescape and playing on hardware way below minimum

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit, those subtitles. <3

What's going on with the ending though? GPU melting down?

Remember running Crysis 1 at lowest settings at like 15 fps on a Intel HD Graphics (the original, didn't have a model number like 4000 or anything). It looked like a PS2 game.

Good times.

Ok, not really, it was terrible. But I beat Crysis 1 that way.

I'm just throwing this out there. The amount of options he is able to manipulate plus the minutia of detail he is able to manipulate them at is equivalent to console optimization. I mean there is some code optimization out there, but a bulk of it is what can the hardware handle and at what quantity.

PensOwl

Banned
Remember running Crysis 1 at lowest settings at like 15 fps on a Intel HD Graphics (the original, didn't have a model number like 4000 or anything). It looked like a PS2 game.

Good times.

Ok, not really, it was terrible. But I beat Crysis 1 that way.

How was the final boss fight? When I came around to playing Crysis I had a 8800gt and it felt like single digits even with stuff turned down.

Derp

Runescape can be kind of pretty

grINBbW.png

That sure isn't what I remember playing around 10 years ago :eek:

KaoteK

This is really cool, my laptop runs most games fairly well, but witcher 2 was only playable with everything set to low, wonder how well 3 would run on it?

I5 3230m
Radeon HD 7600 1gb
8gb

TimmiT

That same graphics card runs GTA5 much better at medium settings:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NnMgmv7cPE

edit: The Witcher 3 doesn't scale all that well it seems.

GTA5 was made to run on Xbox 360 and PS3. The GPU is capable of similar graphics to what those platforms can do, if not slightly better graphics. Really depends on how well the game is optimized. For example: it has no problem running Deus Ex: Human Revolution better than consoles, but it has problems running Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

rakhir

I've completed the game on the lowest possible settings despite my hardware being way below the minimum specs, so the game is crazy scaleable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the thing that surprises me is how good it looks with everything set to low. Doesn't seem to be a huge difference between that and the default medium-ish that he was getting.

Lupercal

Banned
Oh please, I remember the days of playing BF2 with a voodoo 2 graphics card and it needing a crack because the card was to low for it.

Ended up with green colored pixels for my team and red pixels for the enemy team.
Ahh, good times.

This is a pretty cool experiment. When I play games on my laptop I go through similar struggles, trying to optimize graphics and performance. But it's nowhere near this extreme.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm just throwing this out there. The amount of options he is able to manipulate plus the minutia of detail he is able to manipulate them at is equivalent to console optimization. I mean there is some code optimization out there, but a bulk of it is what can the hardware handle and at what quantity.

Yeeeeah, that's BS. What you're describing would be the definition of what people here like to call a "lazy port" - quickly porting the code over and then turning settings down until things don't run like shit anymore. Of course achieving a good balance of visual quality and performance is part of it, but any good port takes a lot more work than that. And when you have someone who REALLY knows the hardware and how to optimize for it, you get stuff like Uncharted 4. You don't get that by porting over a PC game and tweaking some INI settings.

LordOfChaos

dude you can play this game on a laptop for christ sakes
stop being cheap lol

Define "a laptop". They can get pretty powerful, and pretty weak, that's as broad and meaningless as saying "dude you can run this on PC hardware". And he was playing on a laptop after all.

Cheapness, who are we to judge someones financial situation, and plus I think this is more just a fun experiment in how low things can go. A good foil to people who try to take games to even higher heights than stock settings allow.

denx

That script he gave in the GTAV video was super helpful, it helped a lot with load times. Subscribed.

Kallor

n64 shader should be mandatory for all games. Vids gone though for whatever reason. Didn't get to see it. Sucks.

spekkeh

Banned
Hey I have an hd4000. Good to know I can still do high end pc gaming me. Move over Masterracers.

But I'm also playing this game on PS4 so there's no point.

Top Bottom