• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man takes selfie with 3yo black boy, makes racist jokes, gets fired & plays victim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparing real lynch mobs to social media lynch mobs.

Now I've seen it all.

Thank you so much.

It's not a comparison. It's the digital equivelant. His life hasn't been extinguished but his livelihood certainly has. I'm not saying he's not guilty. Many a mob chased horse-theif and murderer were probably guilty... It's the mob mentality I find disturbing

Stet

Banned
It's not a comparison. It's the digital equivelant. His life hasn't been extinguished but his livelihood certainly has. I'm not saying he's not guilty. Many a mob chased horse-theif and murderer were probably guilty... It's the mob mentality I find disturbing

So what you're trying to say is that this is mob justice. Fine. That's not a lynch mob because the end result is completely different. This mob isn't calling for his head, they're calling for him to deal with real-life consequences for digital bullying, which is fine because it's already been proven that digital bullying has real-life consequences for the victim.

I'm not even sold on calling it a mob, considering a mob is one that by necessity feeds on the rage and anger of one another, but in reality this is just thousands of people who had a similar reaction to something.

I mean, it's not a mob mentality. He willingly shared this with the world and parts of the world reacted in a way that cost him his job and ruined his livelihood.

There's no mob mentality, it's the natural outcome of when you share something like that to the world and some don't agree with your message.

marrec

Banned

I 100% agree that this kind of mob mentality is disturbing and when it goes wrong it can ruin the lives of people who are completely innocent.

Yet we encourage it because a few assholes lose their jobs.

Eugh, the internet just isn't for me sometimes. I'm glad this asshole lost his job... but fuck internet mob justice. Can I have both thoughts in my head at once?

So what you're trying to say is that this is mob justice. Fine. That's not a lynch mob because the end result is completely different. This mob isn't calling for his head, they're calling for him to deal with real-life consequences for digital bullying, which is fine because it's already been proven that digital bullying has real-life consequences for the victim.

In hindsight, my word choice might have been needlessly inflammatory, but it's how I've normally heard this type of thing referenced.

I find people being hunted and killed on the basis of their race or sexuality a bit more disturbing than a bunch of people crowding against a person who did a douchebag thing.

Cool that you are trying to equate the two and diminish the former, though.

I'm not even sold on calling it a mob, considering a mob is one that by necessity feeds on the rage and anger of one another, but in reality this is just thousands of people who had a similar reaction to something.

I mean, it's not a mob mentality. He willingly shared this with the world and parts of the world reacted in a way that cost him his job and ruined his livelihood.

There's no mob mentality, it's the natural outcome of when you share something like that to the world and some don't agree with your message.

This is a better, more accurate description of the definition you should have been trying to reach.

In hindsight, my word choice might have been needlessly inflammatory, but it's how I've normally heard this type of thing referenced.

Despite this, you continue to equate them on this very page.

jmood88

Which is nowhere. This guy has no hope to find any job in the short-medium term
And I truly don't give a damn about that but he will find a job eventually. I have no sympathy for him or anyone in a similar situation where their own stupidity causes them to lose their job. If you just can't help yourself from saying stupid things on a public forum, you should at the very least make your facebook as private as possible.

Slayven

Don't want to be fired for being a racist shit bird, don't post racist shit publicly as a racist shit bird. It's not that hard.

marrec

Banned
Anyone would get fired for being racist and making fun of a coworker's kid. It's strange to see people more concerned about the bully's feelings than the victim's.

I don't think anyone in here has expressed concern for the bully's feelings. If so, please point it out instead of making vague accusations. Vague accusations just lead to miscommunication which can increase hostility needlessly.

gnomed

The topic title should read "Dumbass gets for fired making dumbass". Why are you crying about your job, son. Take the loss and realize you fucked up. Pick yourself up from your bootstraps and get a new job that will hire your racist ass.

I find people being hunted and killed on the basis of their race or sexuality a bit more disturbing than a bunch of people crowding against a person who did a douchebag thing.

Cool that you are trying to equate the two and diminish the former, though.

This is a better, more accurate description of the definition you should have been trying to reach.

Despite this, you continue to equate them on this very page.

I've brought neither sex nor race into how I used "lynching." I can't view everything through your prism. Our worldviews are obviously very different.

Don't want to be fired for being a racist shit bird, don't post racist shit publicly as a racist shit bird. It's not that hard.

You don't understand, Slayven. White men bear the greatest burdens of all: not being allowed to drop n-bombs, question sinful lifestyle choices. At this rate the PC police will probably take away their right to vote, too!

I don't think anyone in here has expressed concern for the bully's feelings. If so, please point it out instead of making vague accusations. Vague accusations just lead to miscommunication which can increase hostility needlessly.

Many accusations have been made here and will see sadly bear no consequence

Bombasador's discussing concern for the bully's livelihood with hypotheticals about his mental health in response to what happened to them.

Most people in here have their head on straight when it comes to recognizing who's actually been wronged here, but I'm not feeling the "lynch mob" "slippery slope" bullshit that just happened in here. Anyone making racist comments about slavery and a coworker's kid being a feral animal would be fired. I don't understand what makes it different that they got caught on the Internet instead of in "real life."

I've brought neither sex nor race into how I used "lynching." I can't view everything through your prism. Our worldviews are obviously very different.

Oops, sorry about my prism. How about this:

You are comparing the hunting and killing of human beings to people crowding around an asshole who put himself in this situation and ruined his own life, if only momentary (because he can still get a job, just not in his field for a few years, even moreso if they don't google his name, which some companies just flat out don't).

Kenai

It blows my mind that the defense for this (and so many other similar cases) boils down to "but it's SO HARD for me to not be openly racist on social media :'( ".

Anyone would get fired for being racist and making fun of a coworker's kid. It's strange to see people more concerned about the bully's feelings than the victim's.

I want to live in your world, but no, most people don't get fired for this kind of behavior. This wouldn't even register as racist for most people because this is how pernicious racism actually is despite the viral nature.

Slayven

Bombasador's discussing concern for the bully's livelihood with hypotheticals about his mental health in response to what happened to them.

Most people in here have their head on straight when it comes to recognizing who's actually been wronged here, but I'm not feeling the "lynch mob" "slippery slope" bullshit that just happened in here. Anyone making racist comments about slavery and a coworker's kid being a feral animal would be fired. I don't understand what makes it different that they got caught on the Internet instead of in "real life."

Actually I would say it is worse on the internet. Cause you took the time to think about and documented that you are a racist.

marrec

Banned

He wasn't catching feelings for the bully but was trying to support his position of "fuck internet mob justice" with an extreme example of what can come of it. It's a bad way to go about arguing for "fuck internet mob justice" right now. In this case I don't really consider it "mob justice" since the dude was just fired for being a shit but other cases have clearly gone too far or have targeted someone completely unrelated to the initial offense.

Yes, bullying can lead to mental health issues and yes, liberals can be shithead bullies about their (obvious) moral superiority.

This was just a racist who got fired though.

I want to live in your world, but no, most people don't get fired for this kind of behavior.

In most cases if you printed that out and took it to HR you'd get the dude fired.

In my previous job, a union job mind, a guy who had worked for the company for 30 years kept posting pictures of Obama as a monkey with the caption "Nigger Monkey for President" in the breakroom. This went on for 2 weeks as I took them down and tried to explain to him what a shithead he was being. Eventually I took it to HR and he was fired the next day.

BriGuy

Eugh, the internet just isn't for me sometimes. I'm glad this asshole lost his job... but fuck internet mob justice. Can I have both thoughts in my head at once?
That seems pretty reasonable to me. A lot of the responses in this thread are somewhat distressing in how hostile they come off.

jmood88

We can't blindly accept mob justice when it works and then tut tut it when it doesn't. Or at least I can't, I'm sorry that's bullshit.
Except there's no blind acceptance of anything here. We know what he and his friends said and we know that the kid is his coworker's son.

marrec

Banned
Except there's no blind acceptance of anything here. We know what he and his friends said and we know that the kid is his coworker's son.

You know what I mean. I can't clap and cheer on internet justice. Won't happen. I'm happy that a racist was fired but this doesn't change my opinion on the subject, as mildly related as it is.

Someone being fired for inappropriately acting while on the job is nowhere near on the level of people being murdered for the color of their skin or their sexual orientation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trans-black-woman-killed-pennsylvania_56143258e4b0ec7c18c6a32c

Jenkins was jumped by five to six men, physically assaulted, then shot in the back, police said. At least 18 other transgender women have reportedly been killed in the U.S. this year -- and at least 16 of those victims, including Jenkins, were women of color. The actual number of killings of trans individuals is likely much higher, as family members often don't report to police or media that a victim identified as transgender.

It's also not like their employers don't have minds of their own. They made the choice they felt was right. The Internet didn't hold them up to act.

That is true. The internet, via social media, made it a bit easier for the company to find out that maybe he wasn't a good fit. Some people go their whole careers with the same mentalities as the man who was fired, yet they don't show it at work and thus fly under the radar.

What you do on your own time, as kind or as spiteful it may be, is not the company's concern.

The fact that this was a co-worker's son, and likely occurred on the clock or related to a work activity, and had no context apart from the photo and the responses is what likely caused the tipping point.

It went viral, which is what happens with most actions on the internet, good or bad in nature. It's not necessarily "internet justice" that caused the result, but it may have accelerated the outcome.

You know what I mean. I can't clap and cheer on internet justice. Won't happen. I'm happy that a racist was fired but this doesn't change my opinion on the subject, as mildly related as it is.

I understand where you're coming from. Internet justice has brought us things like GamerGate.

However, I am personally glad this man was sacked for his actions, because they were unprofessional and completely unnecessary.

Could you imagine if the guy was kind hearted enough to post the same photo with a caption like, "Hanging with Cayden, Sydney's son! Such a cute kid. Wonder if he's the next generation to work at this company?"

There would be no issue, unless he of course continued the series of racist comments afterwards.

Bombasador
Banned
(Today, 09:35 AM)

Good fucking riddance. Yes, let's detach the historic precedence carried by a word. That's not how culture and language works. Complete idiocy.

You're correct, and also about 50 posts behind the conversation in which Bombassador said he was wrong to compare to two.

And on this very page, he says:

Doesn't matter. He's banned now anyway.

Fularu

Banned
Oops, sorry about my prism. How about this:

You are comparing the hunting and killing of human beings to people crowding around an asshole who put himself in this situation and ruined his own life, if only momentary (because he can still get a job, just not in his field for a few years, even moreso if they don't google his name, which some companies just flat out don't).

In french we have an expression "Lynchage médiatique". I don't know its proper use in english but "lynching" in french has evolved from beeing a "simple" "group of people lashes out in anger and kills a culprit" to "anything that kills someone's image in a public way" on top of the old lynching which is, obviously, very very rare nowadays (even if there was a case with a Rom last year in France). It's actually prety commonly used and the "internet mob mentality" is easily an example of it.

From that perspective, I can understand where Bombasador seems to be coming from.

Edit : obviously they're not the same (real lynching beeing much worse and reprehensible), I'm merely trying to give a different cultural perspective to the use of the word elsewhere in the world.

You're correct, and also about 50 posts behind the conversation in which Bombassador said he was wrong to compare to two.

Oh I know. I just want to re-iterate it to counteract Bombassador's statements on this page, and also to enlighten people who may wander into the thread.

JDSN

Banned
We can't blindly accept mob justice when it works and then tut tut it when it doesn't. Or at least I can't, I'm sorry that's bullshit.
Not sure how its blind when the variables in this situation are pretty clear to those willing to see it, just like "SJW" I find the térm silly asince it gets applied to all shorts of situations and people that it erases all possibility for examination.

"Internet mobs are bad because they blame innocent for terrorist acts"
"Internet mobs are good because they get racist banned and racist supporters defensive"

These are both viable consistent opinions to have because the acknowlege that the people, situation and approaches are so wildly different that they might as well be two different things. I see no double standards even when I agree with what you say.

Dabanton

I only saw Bombassador's arguments when people thought they were joking.

Are you telling me Bombassador was serious?

Racism is always abhorrent, but there's something about racism directed towards young children that makes me feel like vomitting. For that I feel little sympathy for these people losing their jobs.

Sai-kun

Banned
If only the were as easy as just not doing it. Unfortunately most stupid things come out before you've thought about what you're saying.

I'm not debating whether this case is in the right or wrong. Just these are the reasons why I won't use social media. I'd rather not risk it.

Is it really that difficult for you to not say racist and hateful shit? Lmao I can't imagine living in fear of what my own fingers might type

The whole "internet mob justice" thing doesn't sit well with me either, but at the same time, I'm not sure what the people who rage against it expect/want to happen in these situations.

To be clear, I'm talking about situations where someone is profoundly in the wrong (socially/culturally), rather than simply making say, a poorly timed or thought-out comment (like that woman on the plane to Africa last year).

It's a given that mobs ruining someone's life over a mistake or errant remark is not ideal.

But in a case like this, obviously this dude is a shithead, and it seems like the "mobs are bad" argument would necessarily lead to this kind of thing just being ignored and overlooked.

Should we just hope someone who can administer a consequence of some sort notices later?

marrec

Banned
Not sure how its blind when the variables in this situation are pretty clear to those willing to see it, just like SJW I find the térm silly since it gets applied to all shorts of situations and different context that there is no place for nuance.

"Internet mobs are bad because they blame innocent for terrorist acts"
"Internet mobs are good because they get racist banned and racist supporters defensive"

These are both viable consistent opinions to have because the acknowlege that the people, situation and approaches are so wildly different that they might as well be two different things. I see no double standards.

Sometimes the internet mobs dox racists, or get people kicked out of school for being dumb edgelords but not necessarily racist, or target the family of racists for no appreciable reason.

The idea of bringing justice to a fuckhead is so sweet that we're able to turn our heads when shit goes wrong, and it often does or at least always has the potential to go wrong. I'm not saying this dude didn't deserve getting fired and, in fact, he probably WOULDN'T have been fired without the internet shitstorm... but I still appreciate the need for less retaliatory actions simply for the sake of retaliation and retribution.

jmood88

No I don't know what you mean because what you said doesn't apply to this situation in any way. Context matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom