• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario shows up at Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony

watershed

Banned
Actually, I think Nintendo missed a golden opportunity here. Abe should have popped out of the warp pipe dressed as mario, holding the NX IN HIS HANDS instead of that stupid ball. Imagine a global reveal of Nintendo's new hardware live at the Olympics! Then he should have proceeded to deliver a new Nintendo Direct right on the spot explaining the specs, features, price point, and launch line up to the entire stadium as athletes sat in pure hype. Now that would have been genius advertising.

Kintor

Banned
They have products on shelves to promote, their stock is rising, millions watched as Nintendo/Mario become synonymous with Tokyo, but sure, their big mistake is not revealing their next console when you wanted it
Perhaps Nintendo managed to make Mario synonymous with Tokyo, although I very much doubt that. The issue for Nintendo is that they don't own Tokyo, the company doesn't stand to gain anything from Olympic tourists. Rather, what Nintendo needed to do was to make Mario synonymous a new Nintendo console, because Mario's associating with the WiiU certainly isn't doing any wonders. Mario and Nintendo consoles are one and the same, without a new console any gains made by Mario at Rio can't consolidated. That is unless Nintendo is suddenly planning to go third-party; in that case, the absence of the NX won't cause any harm to Mario.

o-TOKYO-DANCERS-570.jpg

CqbN8lPWIAA_Wm-.jpg

Mario is the landscape.

mdubs

Banned
Actually, I think Nintendo missed a golden opportunity here. Abe should have popped out of the warp pipe dressed as mario, holding the NX IN HIS HANDS instead of that stupid ball. Imagine a global reveal of Nintendo's new hardware live at the Olympics! Then he should have proceeded to deliver a new Nintendo Direct right on the spot explaining the specs, features, price point, and launch line up to the entire stadium as athletes sat in pure hype. Now that would have been genius advertising.

"$199!
New Metroid!
New Mario!
Backwards Compatibility!
No region-locking!"

*crowd goes berzerk*

Makonero

Perhaps Nintendo managed to make Mario synonymous with Tokyo, although I very much doubt that. The issue for Nintendo is that they don't own Tokyo, the company doesn't stand to gain anything from Olympic tourists. Rather, what Nintendo needed to do was to make Mario synonymous a new Nintendo console, because Mario's associating with the WiiU certainly isn't doing any wonders. Mario and Nintendo consoles are one and the same, without a new console any gains made by Mario at Rio can't consolidated. That is unless Nintendo is suddenly planning to go third-party; in that case, the absence of the NX won't cause any harm to Mario.
Okay you've degraded into pure nonsense. I literally don't know what you're saying anymore. I feel like you're a Trump surrogate trying so hard to stay on message while saying literally nothing at this point.

They will sels LOTS of Nintendo licensed things: hats, keychains, shirts, balls, etc.

Shirke

I can imagine that with the new Nintendo section in Universal Studios Japan, along with the Gundam Global Challenge to make a full-scale moving Gundam Statue, talks of getting Love Live! to appear at the Olympics among other things including this Closing Ceremony. Japan's really trying to use their cultural icons to help promote their Olympics and increase tourism during that period.

SalvaPot

Plot twist: The Ball is the NX.

ranmafan

Maybe I'm being naive, but I'd think this isn't really about Nintendo paying for promotion but more about Japan looking for universally loved characters to make a statement to the world. It reminds me of the James Bond skit with the queen in the London 2012 opening ceremony.

I don't think you're being naive at all, and that that is indeed what happened. It's obvious from what characters were involved in the ceremony that they were chosen as ones that best represents Japan's imagine of a modern and futuristic world. They even talked about showing off futuristic technology as a theme for this ceremony in one report I read. What better way then to get those big stars people around the world know and love. That's why you saw doraemon, and pac man, and of course Mario. They almost certainly went to Nintendo, asked to use him and they said absolutely sure, cause why wouldn't they? This is a huge event for Japan, a big moment of pride for the nation that's had to deal with some frustrations the past few years, and everyone wants to be a part of this great moment. I can guarrentee you, no one at any anime message board right now is going, "oh I can't believe the doraemon people are wasting their funds doing the rio ceremony."

And you know what, it's even more silly as even though I think it was as said above, they were asked to participate and they did for the sake of Tokyo 2020 alone, Mario has been a part of the Olympics for almost ten years now with all the Olympic themed games. It's a part of the Mario universe now and has been for a while. It's not like they just jumped into this now. They have invested into the games for a long time, and it's obviously doing some good as they continue to do so.

Either way it's silly. This was a great moment for everyone involved. And it did what it was supposed to do, show off The Japan the world knows and is looking forward to.

Thanks for running Olympics for me.

Idk, I think if Nintendo had been bankrupt Mario still would've showed up, just for being a huge mascot for Japan worldwide and stuff

But maybe that's just me, nobody watches the Olympics anyways

Kintor

Banned
Okay you've degraded into pure nonsense. I literally don't know what you're saying anymore. I feel like you're a Trump surrogate trying so hard to stay on message while saying literally nothing at this point.
Right now I'm talking about brand association. You argue that Nintendo has somehow made Mario synonymous with Tokyo, just by showing up in the Rio closing ceremony. In response, I argue that it doesn't matter whether Mario is synonymous with Tokyo or not because that's the wrong brand association. Nintendo needed people to think "new Nintendo console" when they see Mario in a publicity stunt, yet Nintendo doesn't have any new console to properly make that association since the NX is little more than vapourware at the moment.

Astral Dog

He's very much anti-nintendo. His post history involves pointing out how Sega was superior to Nintendo whenever possible.

His modus operandi is to enter a thread, explain to you in all the way Nintendo has fucked themselves, and how every choice they make is always the wrong one.

He's a Sega fanboy stuck in the 90s forever to wage console wars.

will be interesting to see how he develops :p

casiopao

Ummm. U seriously think that Olympic association is going to allow Nintendo to use their event for such blatant product advertisement here?

He's very much anti-nintendo. His post history involves pointing out how Sega was superior to Nintendo whenever possible.

His modus operandi is to enter a thread, explain to you in all the way Nintendo has fucked themselves, and how every choice they make is always the wrong one.

He's a Sega fanboy stuck in the 90s forever to wage console wars.

Sonic not appearing must have hurt.

Makonero

Right now I'm talking about brand association. You argue that Nintendo has somehow made Mario synonymous with Tokyo, just by showing up in the Rio closing ceremony. In response, I argue that it doesn't matter whether Mario is synonymous with Tokyo or not because that's the wrong brand association. Nintendo needed people to think "new Nintendo console" when they see Mario in a publicity stunt, yet Nintendo doesn't have any new console to properly make that association since the NX is little more than vapourware at the moment.

Making your brand synonymous with your country when promoting the biggest international sporting event is a big fucking deal. Brand. Fucking. Awareness. Learn it, live it, love it.

Astral Dog

They arent promoting the Wii U here, they are promoting MARIO

Remember that his original purpose of being a shitface is that he thinks Nintendo spent millions of its marketing budget in being part of a video and presentation set by the Japanese government for the Rio Olympics. And he assumes that this is literally all they spent marketing on even though they've been putting out press releases, online campaigns for games, a new plug n play console for the holidays, and a proposed reveal date of their new console in September.

The rebuttal is "You're stupid if you think this will cost Nintendo all the money they have for marketing and not think that maybe the Japanese Olympic Committee just desired Mario to be part of their presentation in the first place."

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Making your brand synonymous with your country when promoting the biggest international sporting event is a big fucking deal. Brand. Fucking. Awareness. Learn it, live it, love it.

But they don't have the nx to pimp and nothing else matters or my one dimensional argument falls apart. Can't you see?

casiopao

He is living in his small little bubble there. It is like he don't know how much big N had been trying to diversify for the upcoming 4 years. Hell, even if NX does not do as well, as long Mario and other Nintendo IP remain popular, their collab on theme park with Universal will bring them the bucks.

The issue for Nintendo is that they don't own Tokyo, the company doesn't stand to gain anything from Olympic tourists.

Here. I'll throw you one: Nintendo Theme Park Universal Studios Japan. Google it.

Right now I'm talking about brand association.

Lol you don't even know what that term means. People here have already explained that Nintendo brand is not just hardware and you're still going "Lalalalala am in my comfy bubble." :lol

Kintor

Banned
It's a big deal but Nintendo is a brand without a new product to sell. By the time the NX is actually revealed the hype from Rio will have faded and Nintendo's effort will have been for nothing.

They arent promoting the Wii U here, they are promoting MARIO
Mario's job is to sell Nintendo consoles. He failed to sell the WiiU but he might be able to sell the NX. Except for the fact that the NX is still hidden, making it extremely difficult for Mario to sell the new product when no one has any idea what the new console is supposed to be.

random25

You guys getting stirred up by one guy lol. He's probably just trolling.

Mario is there not to directly promote Nintendo. I never even saw that word for the whole ad (or may have missed if it's there). Mario is there as one of Japan's biggest icons to represent 2020 Olympics. He's not the only gaming mascot there for starters.

SalvaPot

It's a big deal but Nintendo is a brand without a new product to sell. By the time the NX is actually revealed the hype from Rio will have faded and Nintendo's effort will have been for nothing.

Mario's job is to sell Nintendo consoles. He failed to sell the WiiU but he might be able to sell the NX. Except for the fact that the NX is still hidden, making it extremely difficult for Mario to sell the new product when no one has any idea what the new console is supposed to be.

I have a question for you, would you be ok with this if it was Sonic instead of Mario?

kyo2004

Nobody cares in that specific moment about the new console... Jeez, it's so hard to understand that simple concept?... Everyone on the planet that had seen the Rio Olympics Closing Ceremony at this moment is talking/searching/reading about Nintendo... And that's huge for them even if they have nothing new to show, they have plenty articles (videogames, toys, clothing, etc.)... That's a HUGE win for them... Only you see this as a loss/waste of resources...

Top Bottom