• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario shows up at Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony

Kintor

Banned
Dude, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to have your brand seen by hundreds-of-millions (if not billions) of people. The only thing that can compete with it for audience is the World Cup final and an India-Pakistan cricket match. When you have that kind of opportunity (especially when the Tokyo Organising Committee bore the costs for that), you fucking take it.
I get that, Nintendo would be foolish to ignore this chance if could somehow orchestra getting Mario into the Rio closing ceremony. Even so, with everything else that has happened to Nintendo in recent years I don't see them gaining long-term advantage out of this event. I mean, once in a lifetime opportunities are one thing but it's still smarter to rely on a thousand smaller victories to ensure a brand's integrity.

Well, I'm sure that my argument the Olympics is really about marketing and not athletics isn't going to please everybody. Still, I do know that Coca-Cola's marketing at the Olympics has become something akin to an art form, finely honed by being an official sponsor at many consecutive Olympics. Anyway, I mention Coca-Cola to contrast with Nintendo's approach, Coca-Cola knows that it's more effective to be in the background - to compliment the events rather than becoming the event itself.

You are typing words in the English language. Nouns, verbs, you're doing it all.

They paid the president of the country to don the Mario hat?

To think that the president himself is a Nintendo-paid advertiser is just so hilarious in so many different ways.

Yeah, I'm really confused by some of the posters in this thread. Mario is one of Japan's most prominent contributions to world culture. It's near inconceivable that Nintendo, or any of the other icons in that video, had to pay for their placement there. This is free publicity, and it's a great thing for anybody involved.

Is there a version of this I can see from the UK?

pls

https://streamable.com/mh3w

I get that, Nintendo would be foolish to ignore this chance if could somehow orchestra getting Mario into the Rio closing ceremony. Even so, with everything else that has happened to Nintendo in recent years I don't see them gaining long-term advantage out of this event. I mean, once in a lifetime opportunities are one thing but it's still smarter to rely on a thousand smaller victories to ensure a brand's integrity.

Again, your entire argument is basing itself on the assumption that Nintendo put all of its eggs in the Rio Closing Ceremonies, that their marketing money was spent entirely on this appearance. Something you have no proof of while also ignoring the fact that Nintendo, at least in the western market, has been fairly active for the past year. Include new game sales, new games, even a new plug-n-play console out in the coming months. All of these things have been getting coverage, they even have commercials for these online and in tv networks that can cater to the demographic.

Holy shit, whoever has the rights to this stuff is hell bent on not letting anyone watch it.

Yeah that's NBC for ya.

casiopao

Is this dude still going?

Is it too late for the popcorn?

It had been quite a ride. U should join us here.

All these Ash avatars are getting me confused.

I'm guessing he didn't win

Ash is joining Messi on the choker league of the generation lol.

I know we shouldn't take much from stock jumps and on considering the whole Pokemon go thing a few weeks back but, I just found this nice little article at cnn some of you might find interesting and is related to Mario at the closing ceremonies.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/22/tec...osing-ceremony/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-intl

Well, Nintendo must doing all the correct things if even CNN money will report on this appearance lol.

n2Qf5Kf.jpg

Kintor

Banned
Again, your entire argument is basing itself on the assumption that Nintendo put all of its eggs in the Rio Closing Ceremonies, that their marketing money was spent entirely on this appearance. Something you have no proof of while also ignoring the fact that Nintendo, at least in the western market, has been fairly active for the past year. Include new game sales, new games, even a new plug-n-play console out in the coming months. All of these things have been getting coverage, they even have commercials for these online and in tv networks that can cater to the demographic.
Yes it's true that Nintendo can do all of these things, in addition to having Mario appear at Rio. With that said, Nintendo has been all but absent this past year. It's quite common to hear the refrain that Nintendo is "taking a gap year" or "asleep at wheel". So, in the absence of any concerted marketing campaigns what we have instead is Mario showing up in the Rio closing ceremony. This just makes it look like Nintendo has its priorities really out of whack.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah, I'm really confused by some of the posters in this thread. Mario is one Japan's most prominent contributions to world culture. It's near inconceivable that Nintendo, or any of the other icons in that video, had to pay for their placement there. This is free publicity, and it's a great thing for anybody involved.

Yeah, I mean, common sense please. How is it paid advertisement if the guy donning the Mario hat is the goddamn president of the country himself? I mean come on.

The president himself.

It seems like every Olympics after Sydney will turn out to be a giant disaster until it doesn't.

Well, whether it is a disaster or not will be seen soon enough once all the athletes have left, depending on how well the Brazillians can find out the answer to "Now what the hell are we going to do with all this shit?"

Peru

Obviously an appearance like this would mean a lot for the brand even if Nintendo didn't release anything for the next ten years. The point that is made is Mario is still very much one of the big brand mascots of the world - and his looks and sounds remain iconic.

Middle finger up to Abe, though.

Codeblue

Mate, no-one gives a damn. Mario was featured in the world's biggest sporting event's closing ceremony. That's it. There aren't that many video game characters culturally relevant enough to do so, you could probably count them all off on one hand, perhaps two.

Honestly, there's probably three that are major cultural contributions to the world, two of them were in that ad, and Pikachu is the third. Anyone else is leagues below unless I'm missing something obvious.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Having a leading character that represents your brand appear so strongly and endorsed by the goddamn President of your country himself in the largest televised event in the whole world = "Your priorities are really out of whack."

There is indeed something that is out of whack indeed in here, and no, it's not Nintendo.

With that said, Nintendo has been all but absent this past year. It's quite common to hear the refrain that Nintendo is "taking a gap year" or "asleep at wheel".

That is not in reference to marketing, that's in reference to having no real heavy hitters for the year while they concentrate their efforts on the NX. It has nothing to do with their marketing efforts.

casiopao

Having a leading character that represents your brand appear so strongly and endorsed by the goddamn President of your country himself in the largest televised event in the whole world = "Your priorities are really out of whack."

There is indeed something that is out of whack indeed in here, and no, it's not Nintendo.

Kintor= I am out of whack? Nahh, it must all u guys who are out of whack here.^_^

Honestly, there's probably three that are major cultural contributions to the world, two of them were in that ad, and Pikachu is the third. Anyone else is leagues below unless I'm missing something obvious.

Agree. Mario and Doraemon is one of the biggest IP in Japan. Hell, the latest Doraemon movie rack huge money in whole Asia here. Hell, i still remember my mom crying watching that movie lol. If Pikachu, Goku and Sailor Moon join the Olympic there, we are going to see Anime revival all over the world.^_^

correojon

Yes it's true that Nintendo can do all of these things, in addition to having Mario appear at Rio. With that said, Nintendo has been all but absent this past year. It's quite common to hear the refrain that Nintendo is "taking a gap year" or "asleep at wheel". So, in the absence of any concerted marketing campaigns what we have instead is Mario showing up in the Rio closing ceremony. This just makes it look like Nintendo has its priorities really out of whack.

I thought Pokémon Go has been the phenomenom of the year, reaching where no game had reached before. And before we start with the "that´s Niantic, TPC, etc..." remember that it has boosted 3DS and traditional Pokemon games sales the last months. Rather than being absent, I´ve seen people talking about Nintendo more than ever. In the hardcore-gamer community we had the BotW stampede gifs at E3, so even though it´s been a slow year on releases, I think Nintendo is doing really nice to stay in people´s minds.

Kintor

Banned
That is not in reference to marketing, that's in reference to having no real heavy hitters for the year while they concentrate their efforts on the NX. It has nothing to do with their marketing efforts.
Yeah, you make a good point. When Nintendo doesn't have any new games in the pipeline what's their marketing team supposed to do? It's a desperate situation for Nintendo and reaching for simplistic answers won't get anywhere, it's a multitude of factors that got Nintendo into this mess. Regardless, Nintendo should have done more to try and raise their profile, even in the absence of any major releases. Rio will get them a quick burst of publicity but that kind of tactic can't compare to a sustained (if low key) marketing campaign over the last eight months.

So awesome i was watching the closing ceremony and I wasn't expecting mario to pop up! Though in hindsight it makes perfect sense he is a huge icon and known the world over.

The team dealing with Tokyo 2020 probably approached Nintendo not the other way around.

Regardless, Nintendo should have done more to try and raise their profile, even in the absence of any major releases. Rio will get them a quick burst of publicity but that kind of tactic can't compare to a sustained (if low key) marketing campaign over the last eight months.

Remember that this has been what Nintendo has been doing? You don't really look outside the US for campaigns, do you? Besides the things I've already mentioned, there is a LOT more Nintendo coverage in Asia. And you chose to ignore my notion that their Rio presence can lead to a bigger sponsorship in Japan's Olympics proper. And it's safe to say that once the NX is revealed, marketing goes into full swing.

Note that Pokemon Go had absolutely no advertising beyond its initial trailers from last year, and they've already increased Nintendo's mindshare, increased sales of Pokemon games and 3DS systems. They're working towards increasing the brand awareness with their decisions for the past few months, whether you acknowledge that or not.

hirokazu

Well, whether it is a disaster or not will be seen soon enough once all the athletes have left, depending on how well the Brazillians can find out the answer to "Now what the hell are we going to do with all this shit?"
I mean, the actual holding of the Olympics itself. People always say "It's gonna be horrible! They're not even prepared! It's gonna implode during those two weeks!" And then it turns out fine in those two weeks (except the swamp).

Obviously when you hold it in a practically bankrupt state, the people there are gonna get fucked over in the short and long term.

Yeah, you make a good point. When Nintendo doesn't have any new games in the pipeline what's their marketing team supposed to do? It's a desperate situation for Nintendo and reaching for simplistic answers won't get anywhere, it's a multitude of factors that got Nintendo into this mess. Regardless, Nintendo should have done more to try and raise their profile, even in the absence of any major releases. Rio will get them a quick burst of publicity but that kind of tactic can't compare to a sustained (if low key) marketing campaign over the last eight months.
Lol wow. As a 3-year gaffer this is the most Nintendoomed, armchair, tales-from-the-dark-side-of-my-anus post I've ever seen. Congratulations.

That said, I'm dropping further argument with you. I just wanted to clarify for the sake of everyone else. I'm enjoying Mario at the Olympics. Have a swell night.

PS: Get fucked, Sega.

tumblr_ocajgpAtkg1qf0i9eo1_500.gif

Kintor

Banned
Remember that this has been what Nintendo has been doing? You don't really look outside the US for campaigns, do you? Besides the things I've already mentioned, there is a LOT more Nintendo coverage in Asia. And you chose to ignore my notion that their Rio presence can lead to a bigger sponsorship in Japan's Olympics proper. And it's safe to say that once the NX is revealed, marketing goes into full swing.

Note that Pokemon Go had absolutely no advertising beyond its initial trailers from last year, and they've already increased Nintendo's mindshare, increased sales of Pokemon games and 3DS systems. They're working towards increasing the brand awareness with their decisions for the past few months, whether you acknowledge that or not.
Unless Nintendo decides to spend huge amounts of money and becoming an official sponsor of the Tokyo games then this little stunt in Rio isn't going to amount to much in further marketing opportunities. As for what else Nintendo has been up to this year, there really hasn't been a sustained campaign of any kind. There might be the occasional video posted on YouTube to coincide with a new game but certainly no final push to sell more WiiU hardware. There hasn't even been a major price-drop for the WiiU, not compared to the time when the GameCube dropped to $99. The whole situation just makes it look like Nintendo has given up on the WiiU but they don't want to official discontinue the console, not yet anyway.

Edit:

That said, I'm dropping further argument with you. I just wanted to clarify for the sake of everyone else. I'm enjoying Mario at the Olympics. Have a swell night.
Fair enough, see you in another thread then.

casiopao

tumblr_ocajgpAtkg1qf0i9eo1_500.gif

It would be much better if we discuss what game/anime promotion can take place in Tokyo Olympic lol rather than arguing on stupid argument lol.

I thought Pokémon Go has been the phenomenom of the year, reaching where no game had reached before. And before we start with the "that´s Niantic, TPC, etc..." remember that it has boosted 3DS and traditional Pokemon games sales the last months. Rather than being absent, I´ve seen people talking about Nintendo more than ever. In the hardcore-gamer community we had the BotW stampede gifs at E3, so even though it´s been a slow year on releases, I think Nintendo is doing really nice to stay in people´s minds.

It is not NX so it does not count. NX is still not known, so it does not count. Nintendo is still Doomed!!!

Unless Nintendo decides to spend huge amounts of money and becoming an official sponsor of the Tokyo games then this little stunt in Rio isn't going to amount to much in further marketing opportunities. As for what else Nintendo has been up to this year, there really hasn't been a sustained campaign of any kind. There might be the occasional video posted on YouTube to coincide with a new game but certainly no final push to sell more WiiU hardware. There hasn't even been a major price-drop for the WiiU, not compared to the time when the GameCube dropped to $99. The whole situation just makes it look like Nintendo has given up on the WiiU but they don't want to official discontinue the console, not yet anyway.

Edit:

You are having fun with this aren't you 😄

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kintor, jesus, we get it. Mario got shown but µ's from Love Live didn't and that upsets you. No need to be so angsty about it.

Edit:

What. Is. Going. On. In. This. Thread?

Top Bottom