• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario shows up at Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony

Makonero

It's a big deal but Nintendo is a brand without a new product to sell. By the time the NX is actually revealed the hype from Rio will have faded and Nintendo's effort will have been for nothing.

Mario's job is to sell Nintendo consoles. He failed to sell the WiiU but he might be able to sell the NX. Except for the fact that the NX is still hidden, making it extremely difficult for Mario to sell the new product when no one has any idea what the new console is supposed to be.
"We are not at a stage where we can share the specifics with you today, but we are seeing possibilities in licensing character IP in areas Nintendo has never worked before," - Satoru Iwata, 2014 (http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5695992/nintendo-character-licensing-possibilities)

It's not always about the games or systems, doofus

Kintor

Banned
Nobody cares in that specific moment about the new console... Jeez, it's so hard to understand that simple concept?... Everyone on the planet that had seen the Rio Olympics Closing Ceremony at this moment is talking/searching/reading about Nintendo... And that's huge for them even if they have nothing new to show, they have plenty articles (videogames, toys, clothing, etc.)... That's a HUGE win for them... Only you see this as a loss/waste of resources...
It's not about the specific moment at Rio, the trick is getting that Rio hype to carry over into the purchase of new Nintendo products. Yet without the NX clearly on the horizon the core of Nintendo's branding falls apart. Nobody is going to walk into a store tomorrow and pre-order a NX, even if they would like to, because they don't have that option.

Nintendo will ditch Sonic in favor of Mario and Neogaf at the Tokyo Olympics 2020

Attractions :
-Keep away from Bish
-Meltdown Evacuation Ski
-They Stole our Games Wrestling
-Hype Trains Run
-Long Jumping to Conclusions
-Modbot vs 10K
-Salty Tears Surf

Makonero

It's not about the specific moment at Rio, the trick is getting that Rio hype to carry over into the purchase of new Nintendo products. Yet without the NX clearly on the horizon the core of Nintendo's branding falls apart. Nobody is going to walk into a store tomorrow and pre-order a NX, even if they would like to, because they don't have that option.
But they'll buy a 3DS or Wii U or download Pokemon Go or buy Amiibo or a Mario plushie or years from now they'll remember Mario is a thing and go out and buy an NX

You are so narrow minded with a one track mind

Karkador

Banned

Did you know there are Mario videogames and Mario themed merchandise for sale every day, even today?

casiopao

It's a big deal but Nintendo is a brand without a new product to sell. By the time the NX is actually revealed the hype from Rio will have faded and Nintendo's effort will have been for nothing.

Mario's job is to sell Nintendo consoles. He failed to sell the WiiU but he might be able to sell the NX. Except for the fact that the NX is still hidden, making it extremely difficult for Mario to sell the new product when no one has any idea what the new console is supposed to be.

Mario had bigger job than just to sell Consoles.

http://www.merchoid.com/brand/nintendo-super-mario-bros/

Merchandise

images

Amiibo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...o-build-250m-super-mario-theme-park-in-japan/

Themepark

http://screenrant.com/nintendo-movie-animated-schedule/

Movie.

There. Have ur brain accepted that not only gaming is important for ninty here?

kyo2004

Because NX is the only product Nintendo has to promote, right?... Srsly... It's like when I had to teach math in high school or for a particular in my country... It's just incredible... XD

Kintor

Banned
But they'll buy a 3DS or Wii U or download Pokemon Go or buy Amiibo or a Mario plushie or years from now they'll remember Mario is a thing and go out and buy an NX

You are so narrow minded with a one track mind
This late in the console generation it's unlikely Rio will cause a noticeable bump in the sales of either the 3DS or WiiU. While merchandise like plush toys and Amiibos aren't the core of Nintendo's business, when the consoles go down Nintendo as a whole goes down. This is why it's imperative for Nintendo to sort out their brand by revealing the NX. Granted the NX could still a failure from the start but at least then gamers would have a clear idea of what Nintendo is trying to sell.

Nightbird

It's not like there aren't Nintendo products available to be sold right now

Don't confuse your desire to know more about the NX with the company absolutely needing to share details to stay relevant.

Those are two different things

This late in the console generation it's unlikely Rio will cause a noticeable bump in the sales of either the 3DS or WiiU. While merchandise like plush toys and Amiibos aren't the core of Nintendo's business, when the consoles go down Nintendo as a whole goes down. This is why it's imperative for Nintendo to sort out their brand by revealing the NX. Granted the NX could still a failure from the start but at least then gamers would have a clear idea of what Nintendo is trying to sell.

If 3DS/WiiU aren't going to benefit from that then neither would the NX.

And stop trying to make this about Gamers, this is the Olympics, not E3

SalvaPot

They are selling a system that plays Mario.

Karkador

Banned

You don't know what branding means. It's got nothing to do with individual products.

shauntu

Alright then, given Nintendo's current position in the marketplace, having Mario appear at the Rio closing ceremony was a waste of resources. There's no question that a lot of people watch Olympic closing ceremonies but getting them to go from Olympic enthusiasts to Nintendo fans isn't a straightforward process. Because while Nintendo might have gotten some people hyped up today there's no outlet for that hype. As matter of practicality the NX might as well not exist, after watching Rio no one is able purchase a NX in store, the console can't even be pre-ordered at this point.

I know 3 families that bought Wii U's in the last month. They don't know anything about the video game market, quite obviously. They just wanted to buy their kids Mario Kart and Minecraft. One bought Splatoon too -- but doesn't allow their kid to play online.

NX really does not exist for these people. Mario at the Olympics is on point.

Considering Nintendoland will open on the same year, I'm gonna bet that Nintendo might bring themselves to be a part of Tokyo's opening ceremony.

Makonero

Pokemon GO, through "brand awareness" (an alien concept, I know) caused people to go out and buy old systems and games. Amazing! I know! So while it won't do gangbusters, there will be a sales bump.

But!

That's not even the point. Not all marketing is about direct sales. Sometimes it's about conveying a feeling or making an association between a brand and a concept. Like, I dunno, Japan and your flagship character who literally doubles as Japan's PM and has "Tokyo" emblazoned across his hat? Maybe making your character synonymous with national pride and an ambassador of good will will associate positive feelings between viewers and Nintendo?

Kintor

Banned
If 3DS/WiiU aren't going to benefit from that then neither would the NX.

And stop trying to make this about Gamers, this is the Olympics, not E3
Perhaps that's true, even under the best circumstances it's unlikely that Nintendo console would be able tangible benefit from the Rio closing ceremony. Nintendo should have just taken a note from Coca-Cola's book and become an official sponsor. Seeing Nintendo's logo on the inside of stadiums and just around Rio, broadcast in the background hundreds of times every day from Rio, would have been a lot more effective.

SalvaPot

Perhaps that's true, even under the best circumstances it's unlikely that Nintendo console would be able tangible benefit from the Rio closing ceremony. Nintendo should have just taken a note from Coca-Cola's book and become an official sponsor. Seeing Nintendo's logo on the inside of stadiums and just around Rio, broadcast in the background hundreds of times every day from Rio, would have been a lot more effective.

A Coca-Cola logo next to the score > Mario Introducing Tokyo 2020 with the Primer Minister of Japan cosplaying as him and the Green Pipe as the center piece.

ranmafan

You wouldn't see nintendos logo around the stadiums as they do not display the sponcers logos in stadiums at all, and they never have for the Olympics. They only display the Olympic logos, Outside you may see them in certain areas but you wouldn't see them in the arenas or on tv. Except for with official sponcers ads on tv.

Zackat

you are losing it Kintor, I am disappointed.

Makonero

A Coca-Cola logo next to the score > Mario Introducing Tokyo 2020 with the Primer Minister of Japan cosplaying as him.
I give up. I'm going to bed. It's been fun y'all but I have an interview in the morning and it's 2am. Oops.

So like Mario, my appearance here is worthless and without merit. Sleep tight GAF.

Kintor

Banned
A Coca-Cola logo next to the score > Mario Introducing Tokyo 2020 with the Primer Minister of Japan cosplaying as him and the Green Pipe as the center piece.
Yeah totally, the closing ceremony is a onetime event that will quickly fade from memory but Coca-Cola is everywhere, being silently promoted every time someone tunes into an event or watches an establishing shot of a new broadcast. Nintendo's move is an interesting idea but it can't match omnipresent strategy of Coca-Cola as an official sponsor.

I'm going to actually reply to you again to say this: They will not gain enough recognition in the Rio Olympics proper for all the money they can put into it as a sponsor. Being part of JAPAN'S segment of the closing ceremonies can indicate a larger role in their olympics sponsorship there than in Rio.

For the purpose of brand awareness, this is not about the NX, this is not about Nintendo's current line of software. This is about representing Japan. And the Japanese Olympic Committee decided that Mario, with his universal brand recognition and his Japanese origins, would be perfect to represent the country, enough to get the Prime Minister in a tearaway costume, enough to have the MARIO PIPE as the centerpiece of their entire performance.

Nintendo will handle its own marketing and brand recognition in its own space. It does not need this Rio Olympics for commercial boosting. And it probably did not spend all that much to be part of Japan's performance when it's ultimately trademark usage and animation (If the Committee itself did not pay out of its budget to include Mario and all the other brands they included into their video, lord knows if the owners of Captain Tsubasa spent a small fortune just to have them in there). And any spike of interest in Nintendo products will be relegated to what current merchandising it has, and the future of an NX in the coming year.

SalvaPot

Yeah totally, the closing ceremony is a onetime event that will quickly fade from memory but Coca-Cola is everywhere, being silently promoted every time someone tunes into an event or watches an establishing shot of a new broadcast. Nintendo's move is an interesting idea but it can't match omnipresent strategy of Coca-Cola as an official sponsor.

Man, you really don't know anything about the Olympics, do you?

Maxinas

You really love coca-cola don't you? However, I think we can all agree Pepsi is superior.

kyo2004

Isn't it the other way around? I'm sure they had to pay Nintendo to use Mario.

Probably not in this specific case... It's must be a honor for Nintendo to be part of that presentation (same case with Tsubasa/Jump Comics, Doraemon, Hello Kitty and Namco with Pac-Man)...

Kintor

Banned
Man, you really don't know anything about the Olympics, do you?
Well, I'm sure that my argument the Olympics is really about marketing and not athletics isn't going to please everybody. Still, I do know that Coca-Cola's marketing at the Olympics has become something akin to an art form, finely honed by being an official sponsor at many consecutive Olympics. Anyway, I mention Coca-Cola to contrast with Nintendo's approach, Coca-Cola knows that it's more effective to be in the background - to compliment the events rather than becoming the event itself.

ranmafan

Probably not in this specific case... It's must be a honor for Nintendo to be part of that presentation (same case with Tsubasa/Jump Comics, Doraemon, Hello Kitty and Namco with Pac-Man)...

Yeah I don't think anyone paid anything at all. Tokyo 2020 probably asked and they agreed. Like I said before, these games for Japan are huge for this country and people are really proud and excited for them to be here, and people want to be a part of it. I'm sure each one of the one companies were like, "You want us to be a part of the handover ceremony for the games? Absolutely, how can we help." It is a big honor. The Olympics have insanely high prestige here.

Dude, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to have your brand seen by hundreds-of-millions (if not billions) of people. The only thing that can compete with it for audience is the World Cup final and an India-Pakistan cricket match. When you have that kind of opportunity (especially when the Tokyo Organising Committee bore the costs for that), you fucking take it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Very cool to see that. Mario is a great way to represent Japan. Must have cost Nintendo a fortune.

They paid the president of the country to don the Mario hat?

To think that the president himself is a Nintendo-paid advertiser is just so hilarious in so many different ways.

Mate, no-one gives a damn. Mario was featured in the world's biggest sporting event's closing ceremony. That's it. There aren't that many video game characters culturally relevant enough to do so, you could probably count them all off on one hand, perhaps two.

correojon

Well, I'm sure that my argument the Olympics is really about marketing and not athletics isn't going to please everybody. Still, I do know that Coca-Cola's marketing at the Olympics has become something akin to an art form, finely honed by being an official sponsor at many consecutive Olympics. Anyway, I mention Coca-Cola to contrast with Nintendo's approach, Coca-Cola knows that it's more effective to be in the background - to compliment the events rather than becoming the event itself.

This was not something that spawned from Nintendo´s marketing department and it has probably costed Nintendo 0. The organizing comitee for Japan 2020 has come to Nintendo and asked for permission and colaboration to use Mario in the ceremony, Nintendo said yes and probably acted as consultant for some stuff, nothing more nothing less. It´s probable that this is just as far as Mario´s or Nintendo´s presence goes in the Tokyo Olimpics, but we´ll see that in 4 years. This is not a marketing campaign from Nintendo, this is the organizing comitee using Mario as a Japanese representative and giving him nothing more than the central spotlight during one event watched all around the world. So yeah, this is pretty huge for Nintendo.

BTW, as others have said, do you know that there´s no publicity inside the stadiums? Also, in my country the Olympics are seen in the public TV, which has no ads, so I haven´t come across a single Coca-Cola ad in all the Olympics. Way to waste millions for nothing.

SalvaPot

You are throwing out the word marketing, so I guess you know what brand awareness means, right?

You are grasping for straws here, as I said, if it was Sonic instead of Mario, would you be ok with it?

Top Bottom