• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayonnaise is king of US condiments, ketchup 2nd, soy sauce edges BBQ sauce for 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ketchup isn’t the king of American condiments. Mayonnaise is:

By Roberto A. Ferdman and Ritchie King
January 29, 2014

If you think ketchup is king of American condiments, think again.

The US now consumes some $2 billion worth of mayonnaise each year. The ketchup market is worth less than half that—around $800 million, according to data from Euromonitor.

Ketchup is followed by soy sauce, the market for which reached $725 million last year, and barbecue sauce, which came in at $660 million.
Hot sauce, for the record—while growing far faster than the others—is still well behind. The American hot sauce industry is worth about $550 million. And mustard, the market for which has actually been shrinking since 2009, is valued at just under $450 million.

(Update: Various readers have asked why salsa isn’t included on this list. Euromonitor responds that salsa is, technically speaking, a “dip”, not a condiment. So now you know. For what it’s worth, salsa would eclipse ketchup, but still be second to mayo.)

The massive American mayo market owes a lot to the condiment’s growth from a traditional sandwich add-on to an ingredient in everything from tuna salad to spicy tuna rolls. But it’s also benefitted from the blistering rise of low-fat mayo as Americans become more health-conscious. The market for low-fat mayo has doubled since 2005.

h2KCi4Rl.png

styl3s

Mustard is the way to go!

However, Hot sauce when it is appropriate.
Spicy Brown Mustard or bust.

#teamspicybrownmustard

Never been a fan of mayo. I think it's disgusting on hamburgers and absolutely ruins them and the few sandwiches it is good on i only like a very, very small amount. Ketchup is great for fries, fried tators, burgers and hot dogs that's right i said ketchup on hot dogs.

MormaPope

Banned
Real mayonnaise is aight, just a tiny bit on a fully loaded sandwich is nice. But plain sandwiches or sandwiches in general that get lathered with mayonnaise or miracle whip are disgusting. Mustard is my go to sandwich condiment.

blackflag

Barbecue sauce is the king. Mustard is a close second. Ketchup belongs in the trash. A tiny bit of mayo on a burger is fine if it also has mustard or barbecue sauce.

kick51

Banned
Looking at that list...I like all of them. Not equally, but not enough to pit my condiments up against each other.

Aiustis

I like mustard the best. I absolutely loathe mayo in/on anything. I substitute barbecue sauce for ketchup. Sometimes I use italian salad dressing on sandwiches.

Mayonnaise by itself is not appealing, but when it's on a sandwich I find that it does a great job of toning down the intensity of certain condiments (like mustard). I respect that.

That being said, honey mustard is true king of condiments. I could drink that shit down through a straw. Regular mustard ain't on the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom