• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayonnaise is king of US condiments, ketchup 2nd, soy sauce edges BBQ sauce for 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i loooove mayo but i will be the first to admit that some mayo is nasty. Its hard to find a nice mellow (not super eggy tasting) mayo. Currently my go to mayo is the Walmart brand mayo. Its not overpowering but has a nice creamy flavor with no strong aftertaste. The best is some of the restaurant branded stuff. Sysco i think.

RPGCrazied

I like all those. When I make hamburgers I like Mayo, ketchup and mustard on it. That's the only time when I have all 3 together. :p

American mayo is pretty hit or miss, and sometimes can be really nasty and vinegary. Japanese mayo is where it's at. Milder vinegar + a bit of MSG = damn tasty condiment. No wonder they put it on pizza.

Dali

Spicy Brown Mustard or bust.

#teamspicybrownmustard

Never been a fan of mayo. I think it's disgusting on hamburgers and absolutely ruins them and the few sandwiches it is good on i only like a very, very small amount. Ketchup is great for fries, fried tators, burgers and hot dogs that's right i said ketchup on hot dogs.
You're the second person to say this like it's odd. Is ketchup on hotdogs not a normal thing?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Mayo... yuck.

d63siGg.gif

I live by the rule for sandwiches: Mayo (Hellman's is my brand) with white meats, mustard (French's) with red meats.

Of course, I've also been know to substitute with cream cheese, avocado, and some other interesting custom spreads... But largely, I stick to the rule above.

DJ_Lae

I'm not a massive fan of mayo on its own but it's an important part of lots of dips and sauces and dressings. Ketchup is more limited in that regard.

Mustard is awesome, though.

Steak sauce can fuck right off.

edit - just noticed the bit about the rising demand of low fat mayo. Christ, if you're going to eat mayo, eat mayo. Don't eat 'mayo style spread.'

Amikami

Banned
Never been a fan of mayo by itself anyway. Prefer ketchup really. But if we're talking mayo based sauces...different story. Tarter sauce is good and mayo mixed with ketchup makes a nice spread for burgers and dipping sauce for fries. Mayo by itself it really not my thing though. Never understood peoples obsession with pure mayonnaise caked onto sandwiches. Just gross.

/\/\/\
ITADAKIMASU knows what's up. Spicy mustard is goddamn amazing, though a great ball park mustard is impossible to find outside the Midwest.

Fuck mayo, pure eggy fat that does nobody any good. Also BBQ needs to be lower since everyone should make their own, the store bought stuff is mostly crap and has nowhere near the right amount of tang (especially now that James River only sells to restaurants).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
No love for salsa?

Salsa and Picante sauce are not listed? I bet they beat ketchup or at least in the Western USA.

It's in the OP:

Various readers have asked why salsa isn’t included on this list. Euromonitor responds that salsa is, technically speaking, a “dip”, not a condiment. So now you know. For what it’s worth, salsa would eclipse ketchup, but still be second to mayo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom