• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayonnaise is king of US condiments, ketchup 2nd, soy sauce edges BBQ sauce for 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chococat

Mayonnaise shouldn't even been on the list. It not just a condiment- it is a cooking ingredient on thousands of dishes. People aren't buying $2 billion dollars worth to put on their turkey sandwich and fries- their buying it by the gallon to make potato salad.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Making your own mayo is easy, I need to do this sometime. Although Hellman's is pretty close to perfect for cold cut sandwiches.

I went to the Maille store while in Paris because it's hard to find good mustard in the states sometimes. I bought a selection of mustards for some obscene price like 40 Euros.

Worth every penny. Mustard is the king of condiments.

char0n

Ugh, not surprised but I'm not at all a mayo fan. Mustard and hot sauce would be at the top in my perfect world, followed closely by horseradish/wasabi, then ketchup on down, with mayo being a distant last.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I can top that

5748042-420

For people that just can't choose the lesser of two evils.

MadSexual

When I lived in Munich, there was a tasty fries joint called Pommes-Freunde (I assume they still have them) that had something like thirty different mayo blends for the fries. It's such a better idea than ketchup, and I'm not even a big mayo fan. My favorite was the spicy Samurai sauce.

kick51

Banned
viennabeef_graphic.jpg

This is what a hot dog is supposed to look like. Ketchup is for kids that weren't raised right.

i won't defend deep dish because I only like it from Lou Malnati's and Pequod's, but I will defend the chicago dog till the day I die!

Just had one for lunch...except I take off the sport peppers and add sauerkraut. I love spicy food and they aren't spicy, but for some reason, the stomach does not want sport peppers. shame, cause i love pickled stuff too. and giardinera isn't a problem...even though the peppers in them are sport peppers, I think. I dunno!

Machine

The mayo hate is silly. What else can you use to make a decent tuna salad? No other condiment does the job properly.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Guacamole is king. And a preemptive GTFO for "It's a dip." Yes, it's often used as a dip. So are ketchup and mayo.
Of the stuff that ranked, BBQ easily.

Rootbeer

Banned
Advice on getting Belgian style mayo if you live in the usa? I'd like to give it a whirl since people speak so highly of it.

Silkworm

Advice on getting Belgian style mayo if you live in the usa? I'd like to give it a whirl since people speak so highly of it.

If you can find it, be sure to try it with pomme frites and not the subpar imitation that are french fries.

;-) j/k

Dali

Mayonnaise shouldn't even been on the list. It not just a condiment- it is a cooking ingredient on thousands of dishes. People aren't buying $2 billion dollars worth to put on their turkey sandwich and fries- their buying it by the gallon to make potato salad.
Just because other lesser condiments aren't as versatile is not a good reason for disqualification.

Gannd

Banned
That's not a hotdog. That's a pretentious twat-sandwhich. Hotdogs are meant to have ketchup on them. It's as simple as that.

No. They aren't. The President of the United States and the actual professional group that represents the sausage makers that make hot dogs, all, disagree with you. But, it's okay if you want to eat bad food. People eat bad food everyday.

As a US citizen & white male this is disappointing.
Will we never move past these stereotypes?

Mayonnaise is disgusting. I love mustard though.

Foaloal

I assume somebody has provided answers somewhere in this thread, but I don't get how mayo can be number one.

What do you use mayo on other than sandwiches/burgers? I seriously don't use it on anything else and haven't seen it used for anything else except "fancy sauce" in Step Brothers.

I mostly eat it with fries.

Interesting. Almost everybody I've eaten fries with eats them plain, with ketchup, or with gravy. Once I saw somebody use honey mustard, and I tried it myself to good results. I'll have to try mayo some time with my fries, maybe I've been missing out all my life.

Macaroni salad, potato salad, deviled eggs, and various dips.

I didn't think of non lettuce salads, I guess that's a decent amount of mayo usage right there.

It's crazy how much sauce culture differs from one place to the next.

Metrotab

Banned
I assume somebody has provided answers somewhere in this thread, but I don't get how mayo can be number one.

What do you use mayo on other than sandwiches/burgers? I seriously don't use it on anything else and haven't seen it used for anything else except "fancy sauce" in Step Brothers.

I mostly eat it with fries.

johnsmith

remember me

Macaroni salad, potato salad, deviled eggs, and various dips.

No. They aren't. The President of the United States and the actual professional group that represents the sausage makers that make hot dogs, all, disagree with you. But, it's okay if you want to eat bad food. People eat bad food everyday.

Why should I give a shit what the president of your country says about hot dogs? He's not some respected expert on these things lol. Plus a "professional group that represents the sausage makers"? Give me a fucking break haha.

By the way, a hot dog is bad food. Sorry. The best ones are from street vendors, not fancy restaurants and every single one of them serve ketchup.

That picture you posted looked disgusting.

You're fighting a losing battle, sir.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why should I give a shit what the president of your country says about hot dogs? He's not some respected expert on these things lol. Plus a "professional group that represents the sausage makers"? Give me a fucking break haha.

There actually is a National Hot Dog & Sausage Council here, hehe.

Here's an old infographic from a year ago or so:

vKCBRaL.jpg

kick51

Banned
That's not a hotdog. That's a pretentious twat-sandwhich. Hotdogs are meant to have ketchup on them. It's as simple as that.

By the way, a hot dog is bad food. Sorry. The best ones are from street vendors, not fancy restaurants and every single one of them serve ketchup.

you guys are intimidated by hot dog toppings

think about it, then look back and figure out where it all went wrong

There actually is a National Hot Dog & Sausage Council here, hehe.

Here's an old infographic from a year ago or so:

vKCBRaL.jpg

jesus, did they fish that chicago dog out of a garbage can? That's not how they look lol

they also aren't $5, unless they come with fries.

you guys are intimidated by hot dog toppings

think about it, then look back and figure out where it all went wrong

jesus, did they fish that chicago dog out of a garbage can? That's not how they look lol

they also aren't $5, unless they come with fries.

Intimidated? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I just find it hilarious that this guy is trying to polish a turd by making hotdogs seem like some gourmet meal that absolutely cannot have particular condiments on it.

He even brought up the president haha.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I like my dog plain with just tomato ketchup, don't hate me :(

Gannd

Banned

Hot dogs are not bad foods. You get a good 100% beef hot dog in a natural casing with a nice garlic flavor and it's fantastic. Based on the information at hand you're not American. Hot Dogs are an American invention and should not be served with ketchup. And yes, the professional group of hot dog makers (it's a thing: http://www.hot-dog.org/ht/d/sp/i/38617/pid/38617) you do not put it on a hot dog.

Would you put ketchup on sushi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom