• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayonnaise is king of US condiments, ketchup 2nd, soy sauce edges BBQ sauce for 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Mayo is GOAT not only on its own but because of all its awesome derivatives--aioli, thousand island, tartar, remolaude.

Trurl

Banned
I only will get use mayo if I make it at home (so easy!) or I get some from Empire.

http://www.empiremayo.com/

Empire-Mayo-served-iwth-handmade-french-fries-or-by-the-jar.jpg

If you ever go there ask Sam how the lemongrass is coming along, haha, he'll know what you are talking about.

empiremayo.blogphoto1_grande.jpg

But mostly I make my own, I just want to stress that.
You've reached a quality so consistent that Evilore should be paying you for your posts.

Salsa should be number one. Salsa is great with everything. Chips? Eggs? Burgers? Tacos? Hot dogs? Sandwiches? Steak? All made better with salsa. The list goes on and on.

T.O.P

Banned
Home made mayonnaise is the best shit ever

@can't stand ketchup on meat anyway, on fries i can give it a pass

depths20XX

I can understand why mayo is at the top. Works with a lot of things.

Ketchup being second though? That's just a lot of people with unrefined tastes. I'm hoping it's there because of it's usage with fries alone.

Soriku

Of course it is...mayo is like a requirement in many sandwiches while ketchup and BBQ sauce depends. I don't even like mayo much but don't mind if it's on my sandwich, so it just gets put on anyway, even if I like other things better.

Mayo = Flavorless spreadable fat.

I don't understand why people even use the stuff . . . it is not good for your health and it doesn't even taste good.

entremet

True Story. I ate expired mayo for a week without noticing lol.

I thought they changed the flavor lol. Then I checked the date. Yikes!

NotBacon

God tier: Most hot sauces, deli mustard, amazing BBQ
Good tier: Mustard, mayo (in fucking moderation, WTF is happening in this thread)
Alright: Soy, teriyaki
Wtf: Ketchup (tomato sugar paste? on my meat? yeah i'll pass)

But seriously, a thin mayo layer on a sadwich is all you need.

Meier

That's kind of surprising to me. I absolutely love mayo but never purposely order it and often get burgers, chicken sandwiches, etc. without it due to health reasons. There are so many different flavored varieties nowadays though -- pretty amazing. There's a ridiculous number of varieties of ketchup too for that matter.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How much of this is plain mayonnaise and how much is mayonnaise being used as a base for other sauces? Because it's pretty common in recipes, far more than ketchup, so that might be skewing the numbers.

entremet

How much of this is plain mayonnaise and how much is mayonnaise being used as a base for other sauces? Because it's pretty common in recipes, far more than ketchup, so that might be skewing the numbers.

It's sales of Mayo by itself. It doesn't talk about if the buyers use mayo for other things. That would another study.

slit

You're going to get that with pretty much any mass-produced foodstuff.

No, it's the ingredients that dictate that. Admitedly there are a lot of mass produced products with gross stuff in them. Peanut butter, canned corn, coffee, etc. None of it will hurt you of course.

Sanjuro

viennabeef_graphic.jpg

This is what a hot dog is supposed to look like. Ketchup is for kids that weren't raised right.

That is a Chicago style dog. Varies from place to place.

Around here, it's either mustard, relish, onion, celery salt, on a steamed bun/dog or Coney Island wieners (coney meat sauce, marinated onions, mustard, grilled wieners).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom