• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create: 27 FEB ~ 05 MAR

neo2046

DS Puzzloop DS 11000 11000
DS Daikoukai Jidai IV: Rota Nova 2500 2500
PSP Monster Hunter P 21000 541000
PSP Initial D 13000 64000
PSP Sengoku Musou 1600 100000

Beowvlf

Banned
JJConrad said:
AHH! but the GBA had 2 times the userbase of the DS at the time, so it really is doing better by comparison! :p
No it didn't. When SoM launched in Aug. 2003, the SP had barely been out for more than half a year (and remember, the GBA didn't really take off until the SP), and as best as I can estimate using various sales numbers from GameScience, the GBA installed base was probably around ~9m, less than 50% more than the DS right now.

And all that's not even taking into equation the difference in DS hype versus GBA hype at their respective times, SoM being a remake versus CoM being all new, SoM being crap versus CoM being good, and CoM launching alongside the Lite.

And claim fanboyism at me all you want. I want the game to sell well, but unless it has legs (which I doubt) it'll end up disappointing.

A Link to the Past said:
Anyway, this is dumb. Everyone predicted doom and gloom for Slime MoriMori 2 when it launched with, what, 40k in December? And it ended up crawling to about 270k. I think that we have enough evidence to put that "only Nintendo games show legs" thing to rest.
Christmas time is completely different. More games remain steady throughout December rather than frontloading on their first 2 weeks any other time of year. And Famitsu's 2005 totals had Slime Mori Mori 2 at 180k, so I'm kinda skeptical that it sold another 70k in January, as the LTD charts here indicate.

Wow. I expected CoD to do much better than that. I can understand the DSL hardware sales were low due to shortages, but I'm sure there were no shortages for CoD. It'll probably wind up selling less than 300,000 copies. Not terrible numbers, but I'm sure SE had higher hopes for the game.

Anyone in Japan know is SE had a big ad campaign for the game?

brassica

neo2046 said:
DS Puzzloop DS 11000 11000
DS Daikoukai Jidai IV: Rota Nova 2500 2500
PSP Monster Hunter P 21000 541000
PSP Initial D 13000 64000
PSP Sengoku Musou 1600 100000

Thanx for the numbers neo2046.
Sad numbers for Puzzloop DS though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Heian-kyo said:
Christmas time is completely different. More games remain steady throughout December rather than frontloading on their first 2 weeks any other time of year. And Famitsu's 2005 totals had Slime Mori Mori 2 at 180k, so I'm kinda skeptical that it sold another 70k in January, as the LTD charts here indicate.
From the January chart,
Code:
25	DS	Slime Morimori Dragon Quest II	Square Enix	74,869 	251,087
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=88620

Raw64life

Not bad considering the horrible shortage. If Nintendo had supplied adequate shipments of the DS lite you probably would've seen every NDS game in the top 10 have double the number it does.

Heian-kyo said:
After I posted I realized it could very well make sense, considering Jan is still a very good month for Japan, the game was only a month old then, and 74k translates into about 18k a week, which is reasonable.

Retracted.

It was in the top 30 for some of February.

Heian-kyo said:
Damn, those have to be disappointing sales for CoM, considering it was the premier new title launched alongside the Lite, shortage or not. 50k lower than SoM, which was a remake, is seriously underwhelming. There is absolutely no chance for CoM to match SoM's 277k total, and it's very possible it won't even break 200k. This could very well be an indicator that while the DS has a huge installed base and crazy hype, most owners aren't the least bit interested in traditional games.

On the other hand for SE, they have to be quite happy with VP, since it'll likely do over 100k now, which I wasn't expecting at all.

Most unbiased post of the century! :lol

Heian-kyo said:
On the other hand for SE, they have to be quite happy with VP, since it'll likely do over 100k now, which I wasn't expecting at all. I thought CoM would more than double VP's sales at the very least..

yeah great. this will encourage publishers to make EVEN MORE PSP ports than they already do instead of new games.

Beowvlf

Banned
metropolis said:
yeah great. this will encourage publishers to make EVEN MORE PSP ports than they already do instead of new games.
I'm hoping that it'll cause SE to think that if a bare-bones port can sell this well despite half the userbase of the DS, that a full blown original creation may very well do incredible numbers. I'm hoping Crisis Core will prove this.

I just want SE to support both handhelds as strongly as possible.

donny2112

Heian-kyo said:
JJConrad said:
AHH! but the GBA had 2 times the userbase of the DS at the time, so it really is doing better by comparison! :p
No it didn't. When SoM launched in Aug. 2003, the SP had barely been out for more than half a year (and remember, the GBA didn't really take off until the SP),

Gamespot_article said:
At a press conference held today in Tokyo (Japan's real year end break begins later this week), Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed that the DS has topped sales of 5,000,000 units in Japan. This figure is for actual sales, and not shipped units.

Iwata states that the DS now holds the record for the fastest system ever to reach five million units sold in Japan. Although we don't have the data to check up on this statement, given that the DS managed to sell nearly half a million units last week alone, we'll take his word for it. By comparison, Nintendo states that Game Boy Advance took 14 months to reach the figure while the PlayStation 2 took 17 months.

link

Ah, the wonders of being the fastest selling system in Japan before the DS and not "really taking off until the SP."

Heian-kyo said:
and as best as I can estimate using various sales numbers from GameScience, the GBA installed base was probably around ~9m, less than 50% more than the DS right now.

Children of Mana DS: 103K/6 million ~= 1.72%
Sword of Mana GBA: 153K/9 million ~= 1.70%

Travesty. Where'd all the buyers of Sword of Mana on GBA go? Children of Mana = flop.

Oh, wait.

Beowvlf

Banned
kia said:
I thought everyone knew what a moron he is and don't take his words serious. Anyway I'm sure CoM will end up more than 250k.
How big of you to throw insults because you disagree with my opinion. Quality individual you are. Nevertheless, I'm betting CoM won't break 250k, but I'll gladly admit I was wrong if it does. Which it hopefully will.

Yeah not to mention I would bet there were more than a few people that were turned away at stores who had planned to get a DS Lite + Mana at the same time (because believe it or not, there are people who y'know like to have a system to play a game on).

Now maybe in a week's time, they'll totally lose interest in the DS, or more logically, they'll just buy the system + game whenever the second shipment comes out.

But I guess running around like a chicken with its head cut off is more fashionable for some on these boards :lol

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
donny2112 said:
Ah, the wonders of being the fastest selling system in Japan before the DS and not "really taking off until the SP."
:lol :lol
Ignore him, just ignore him.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What were last weeks sales of MKDS, Animal Crossing, and Brain Training?

I actually expected a bigger spike in these games more than anything - new DS owners gotta grab sumfin'

starship

Heian-kyo said:
How big of you to throw insults because you disagree with my opinion. Quality individual you are. Nevertheless, I'm betting CoM won't break 250k, but I'll gladly admit I was wrong if it does. Which it hopefully will.
Would you like betting a month ban on this?

Heian-kyo said:

You bet that CoM will not be carried by two more DS launches? What the fuck?

Cmon, bet your account.

Monorojo

Banned
donny2112 said:
Children of Mana DS: 103K/6 million ~= 1.72%
Sword of Mana GBA: 153K/9 million ~= 1.70%

Travesty. Where'd all the buyers of Sword of Mana on GBA go? Children of Mana = flop.

Oh, wait.

Children of Mana DS : 103k/6 million ~ = 1.72%
Valkryie Profile PSP : 70k / 3 million~ = 2.23%

Guess e know which sold better!

Tabris

You people were expecting COM to sell a bunch? It's neither a Nintendo game or a non-game.

and :( @ Suikoden V

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah c'mon Heian-kyo, you talk the talk but put something on the line for this statement. First it's the whole "very possible it won't even break 200k", now you're stepping the big marker by betting it won't hit 250K.

starship

Monorojo said:

But VP will end up at ~ 100k while I assure you CoM will surpass 250k

Monorojo said:

Children of Mana sold better based on the fact it sold more overall
Valkyrie Profile sold better based considering the userbase

So, they both sold better than the other. Just in different ways.

mj1108

Monorojo said:

Wow, now you're really stretching it trying to spin.

Mau ®

Devil Summoner bomba :( Then again I think RPG GOTY 2004 Nocturne never got past 350k...

Anyway Im sure we will see stateside release, the SMT games do decently stateside I think...

Monorojo

Banned
kia said:
But VP will end up at ~ 100k while I assure you CoM will surpass 250k

Why do you say that? MH: Portable only sold 125k~ in its first week and its at 550k~ currently. I think VP with the lack of interest from the Japanese PSP owners in all other PSP games can easily have such legs. Perhaps not to that extent but 200k+ is plausible.

starship

Tabris said:
Not really, especially in a market where when it's not a Nintendo game, most of it's sales are done in the first week.
DBZ and Slime Mori Mori 2 say hello.

starship

Monorojo said:
Why do you say that? MP:Hunters only sold 125k~ in its first week and its at 550k~ currently. I think VP with the lack of interest from the Japanese PSP owners in all other PSP games can easily have such legs. Perhaps not to that extent but 200k+ is plausible.
Do you want to bet on this?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
kia said:
DBZ and Slime Mori Mori 2 say hello.
Ignore Tabris, he has this theory that 3rd party games will never sell on Nintendo systems again because of recent history when cearly DS doesn't follow the pattern of recent Nintendo systems.

Monorojo

Banned
I dont make internet bets.

that makes me a pussy i guess right? :lol

But i think i really lowballed the tally and believe you are lucky i have such high internet morals. But considering ive heard there were shipment issues i wont be surprised if you were right either.

Top Bottom