• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create: 27 FEB ~ 05 MAR

+Aliken+

I expected more than 71K for DSL. Anyway it is in only 3 days and I doubt they place the whole 450k planned for march from from day 1.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
didn't somebody say that there were only 81k available for DSlite at launch?

unofficial

DSL 68000
DS 49000
PSP 43000

It's sort of amusing that people are "disappointed" by those ds sales. 117000 is rather a lot of DS for 1 week isn't it?

I can't imagine being one of the 49000 people that said "No DSlite? Fuck it, give me a DSheavy" though.

+Aliken+

catfish said:
d
It's sort of amusing that people are "disappointed" by those ds sales. 117000 is rather a lot of DS for 1 week isn't it?

Ur right, but after the 600k week in Christmas we were all hyped up :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Holy shit, Rockman Rockman didn't even make the top50?

I really like the PSP, but that's it: Sony, please stop production of your system and officially announce it as dead. You're just causing the death of gaming along with Nintendo at this point since NO ONE WILL BUY GAMES ON YOUR SYSTEM even if they are the best games ever made.

Rockman Rockman = One of the best handheld games that's ever been made and the best Megaman EVER...yet like 10 people bought it and I can probably name 4 of them :(

jax (old)

Banned
Bebpo said:

I really like the PSP, but that's it: Sony, please stop production of your system and officially announce it as dead. You're just causing the death of gaming along with Nintendo at this point since NO ONE WILL BUY GAMES ON YOUR SYSTEM even if they are the best games ever made.

Rockman Rockman = One of the best handheld games that's ever been made and the best Megaman EVER...yet like 10 people bought it and I can probably name 4 of them :(

lol. capcom's president did declare PSP the future. Lets see if it can survive this onslaught

as for rockman rockman, the demo ... with megaman x MH, left me feeling really revolted with the direction capcom took. Ugly ass set (what is up with the bricks/blocks), ugly design of critters and ridiculous explosions.

I played it and went WTF, you should too.

:)

RaijinFY

cvxfreak said:
It's shocking to think that AC has yet to drop below 40K and maybe even 50K. With supply and demand for the DS to be high over the next month, it may reach 2.5 Million or hell, maybe even 3 Million over the next two or three months, which is pretty shocking. As of right now, about 1/3 DS owners own a copy of the game.

I'm pretty sure AC will outsell FFXII...

Whether or not children of mana didnt sell to a percentage of the userbase what valkyrie profile did or whatever other bs you guys can come up with

The fact is, children of mana sold more

And thats all that matters to the third parties. Gee, its almost like the damage control attempts made by gamecube supporters in the last generation.

Archie said:
So third party games do SO MUCH BETTER on PSP, right? ;)

Resident Evil Deadly Silence(Nintendo DS) and Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max both came out the same day in Japan. Resident Evil Deadly Silence sold 27k it's first week out and Street Fighter Alpha 3 only sold 12,000 copies it's first week out. The highest selling third party game on PSP in Japan has sold nearly 500k and the highest selling third party Nintendo DS game in Japan has sold over a million copies.

Ceb

Probationsmack said:
Whether or not children of mana didnt sell to a percentage of the userbase what valkyrie profile did or whatever other bs you guys can come up with

The fact is, children of mana sold more

And thats all that matters to the third parties. Gee, its almost like the damage control attempts made by gamecube supporters in the last generation.

Development costs?

I can't imagine that a shoddy port would have a higher budget than a brand new game, even if it is for the PSP.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Viewtiful Darkness said:
Resident Evil Deadly Silence(Nintendo DS) and Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max both came out the same day in Japan. Resident Evil Deadly Silence sold 27k it's first week out and Street Fighter Alpha 3 only sold 12,000 copies it's first week out. The highest selling third party game on PSP in Japan has sold nearly 500k and the highest selling third party Nintendo DS game in Japan has sold over a million copies.
shhh, don't let people know that. And the only million selling third party game was a "non-game" so it obviously doesn't count!

Ceb said:
Development costs?

I can't imagine that a shoddy port would have a higher budget than a brand new game, even if it is for the PSP.
I still think SE is probably close to at least breaking even on CoM, or they will break even by the time the game runs out of steam. I doubt that game cost them that much to make. (But if I'm wrong, let me know)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Bebpo said:

Why are you surprised? IHX did insanely horrible a few months back so that should of given you some indication of how well RR would do. I agree that Rockman Rockman has way more replayability and content than IHX but people think its the same old megaman regardless. There is a small chance that word of mouth will make it climb the charts but most people have no idea how nice of a package it truely is. Unfortunately the game will most likely bomb in the west also. It is probably one of the best remakes anyone has ever done but most gamers really just don't care. GnG will follow the same fate.

Now if Capcom wanted to make a Rockman game that would sell gangbusters the first step was to not center the main design of the game around any One Megaman. My idea is similiar to Rockman Rockman in mechanics with some fundamental differences and additions to attract more portable gamers. Ever since I played Rockman Forte and saw all the Boss character profiles I wanted Capcom to make this game. Capcom should of designed a brand new Megaman (I know RR feels brand new but it is still being marketed as a remake) with the exact same graphic style as RR but toss in dozens and dozens of playable droids/reploids (old and new). Include the ability to trade parts and upgrades with one another to really customize your character even the visual aesthetics so that players can develop a personalized identity with their reploid.

Customizing would be simple but intuitive basically just have Head, Chest, Arms and Legs all interchangeable. No right arm left arm seperation just one set of arms and legs. Head determines reploid type while Arms determine weapon, Chest determins armor and Legs determine speed. Head type is important for upgrades because the upgrades would be X style. So you could do something like give Protoman Dr. Lights upgrades or give Roll Willey's upgrades for different affects but upgrades can only be activated through charging a super meter during battle ala SFIII so it will be like choosing a super art from your selection of upgrades before a match which brings me to the main game.

The main game should of been designed around an online Power Battle style theme where your character can win items, rare parts, upgrades and money to use in a shop. I imagine battles of everything from 1on1, 2on2, 4on4 and even throw in handicap-matches for high ranked players like 3on1. They could even build upon the level creator and have the server host load up a homemade map with him as the boss while other players team up to beat his stage and face the boss and maybe even give the server host minor control over enemy scrubs in real-time.

The offline portion would be a mix between the 100 levels mode in Rockman Rockman and SFAIII Upper where you can fight an infinite amount of Bosses (thanks to the customizeable parts and upgrades there would be an infinite amount of combinations the computer can randomize for you to fight) and give a sense of progression by slowly leveling up your character for online rankings. This way they can still include the regular Boss stages and 100 levels (if not infinite) but doesn't have to be marketed as being a remake.

I know some people will cry out Blasphemy when it sounds like this would be attempting to Pokefy the megaman series ie. Battle Network but thats not what I am describing. I'm talking about a good ol fashion Megaman game at its core with very fast, twitch gameplay and where skill, reflexes and ingenious use of weapons and upgrades will determine the outcome of the battle rather than the level of your character. The most leveling your character would do is give you an online ranking and maybe give you access to more slots to equip different weapon types. So a Level 1 character can equip 3 types of weapons and a level 60 character can equip 5 or 6 types of weapons but no matter how many weapons they will all stilll share one weapon gauge during a match. Thats it.

This game wouldn't be that hard to balance imo because everything they need to build this game is already there in the MM universe. I garuntee this game would of sold hundreds of thousands of copies in every region while keeping the fans of Rockman Rockman very happy. Looking at the difference between IHX and Rockman Rockman Capcom Inafune is on the right track but he still has a littler more to understand about portable gamers tastes but he is indeed very close.

Ceb

Archie said:
I still think SE is probably close to at least breaking even on CoM, or they will break even by the time the game runs out of steam. I doubt that game cost them that much to make. (But if I'm wrong, let me know)

Oh, I don't doubt that. I was just shooting down his point that all devs/publishers care about are sales. It's like comparing AC selling 2M+ with a Final Fantasy selling 2M+... obviously the first example is going to make the dev/publisher a lot happier. :D

u_neek

Bebpo said:

It's sad. I'll definitely be getting nd EU or US version.
Btw. when can we see some screens of people's own levels? I'd love to see the Super Mario levels.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Dante said:
Wow! kinda dissapointing ds sales all around, thought the numbers would be astronomical this week.
how is selling 117k DS for the week disappointing?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Error2k4 said:
how is selling 117k DS for the week disappointing?
Nintendo could have sold 300-400k if they didn't have supply issues. It is dissapointing compared to GAF's sky high expectations.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Viewtiful Darkness said:
Resident Evil Deadly Silence(Nintendo DS) and Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max both came out the same day in Japan. Resident Evil Deadly Silence sold 27k it's first week out and Street Fighter Alpha 3 only sold 12,000 copies it's first week out.

In this particular case though, how much have Street Fighter games been selling compared to Res Evil games as of late? I'm not really seeing SFA being nearly as popular as Res Evil, even though the Res Evil series has been dropping in sales during recent years. I'm sure there are better examples....

It's difficult ot predict where CoM will end up. If there had been 300k-400k units of the DSL available at launch, it's numbers would surely have been higher. Seeing as though the DS is going to sell over 100k for the next month, the normal drop of 70% or so, might be much lower and we'll see CoM sell 50k for a few weeks yet. Of course, it could drop to 20k next week and finish with less than 150k, but only time will tell.

Shame about Rockman Rockman. Looks so bloody good, can't wait to pick it up. MHP continues to have fantastic legs, another 21,000 this week. Might have an outside chance of hitting 1m if these insane legs continue.

Meier

Tabris said:
Well doesn't this kind of prove it?

I have this thread in my post history and will quote you in a month from now when COM is no longer on the charts and capped at under 250k

Do you honestly believe if there had been the 400-500k initial DSL supply that the COM numbers wouldn't be vastly higher? I doubt it will put up huge numbers now, but it'll get to 250k easily.. count on that.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
kia said:
I thought everyone knew what a moron he is and don't take his words serious. Anyway I'm sure CoM will end up more than 250k.

kia said:
Would you like betting a month ban on this?

Here's a bet for you, I'll bet you a 2 week ban that I don't like posters calling other posters morons.

I win :p

Cheebs

Anyone who thinks FFXII will outsell AC:WW is insane. FFX came out when PS2 was ruling and still pretty new. Plus it was the first "next-gen" Final Fantasy. FFXII doesn't have this. It's coming out when PS2 is on it's last legs and after we already got FF's this gen. It will have the same problem KHII faced. It will sell an INSANE amount week one and then drop off while AC:WW stays put on the chart. That one week or two will have amazing sells but then it will drop off while AC:WW slowly continues to build it's sales.

ioi

Banned
FF X did 2.96m with reprints and mega hits and everything else.

FF XII won't sell as well, probably around 2.5m so yeah there is a very real chance (in fact I'd say it's almost a cert) that Animal Crossing will outsell it. And BT 1/2 possibly as well.

Cheebs

ioi said:

FF XII won't sell as well, probably around 2.5m so yeah there is a very real chance (in fact I'd say it's almost a cert) that Animal Crossing will outsell it. And BT 1/2 possibly as well.
I doubt it will hit 2.5 mil. I say it will be around 2 million. AC:WW already outsold that and BT will likely break that number before the end of DS's life. I am pretty sure both BT 1/2 and AC:WW will outsell FFXII before DS's life is over.

Children of Mana has not bombed, it's funny we're hearing these comments from mostly those who didn't like the DS in the first place. Over 100K a week can't be that bad, sure most of us expected it to beat SoM, but the fact that it only fell a little short doesn't mean it has flopped. Let's see where it settles at first.

Oh and who are those expecting monstrous DSLite sales? I guess many people didn't hear of the ridiculously low initial shipments for the thing.

Orgen

ioi said:

I think that FF XII will outsell FF X... somewhere between FF X (3.0 m) and DQ VIII (3.5), so 3.2 is my bet :p

Cheebs

Orgen said:
I think that FF XII will outsell FF X... somewhere between FF X (3.0 m) and DQ VIII (3.5), so 3.2 is my bet :p
No way it will outsell FFX. The market place is vastly different now. PS2 is nowhere near as big when it comes to selling software as it was when FFX came out and FFXII doesn't have the hype of being the first next-gen FF.

apotema

Please count FF X sales as the first reprint only......... don't count International as added sales, otherwise we will count the inminent Animal Crossing DS+ as added sales for AC: WW and this way FF will get owned

Monorojo

Banned
All you have to do when talking about 3rd party titles is look at how they sell on each system compared to the fanbase. All we have is rough estimates but it still paints the picture.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=88872

DS 3.8 million~ in 3rd party software witha fanabse of 6 million

PSP 3.6 million~ in 3rd party software with a fanbase of 3 million.

But you also have to consider that average 3rd party title sold favors DS by quite a bit (72k vs 55k) But then take away teh top title for each, the average becomes much closer.

So i guess you can say tehy sell the same

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Monorojo said:
All you have to do when talking about 3rd party titles is look at how they sell on each system compared to the fanbase. All we have is rough estimates but it still paints the picture.

But you also have to consider that average 3rd party title sold favors DS by quite a bit (72k vs 55k) But then take away teh top title for each, the average becomes much closer.

gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif
gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif
gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif

Orgen

Cheebs said:
No way it will outsell FFX. The market place is vastly different now. PS2 is nowhere near as big when it comes to selling software as it was when FFX came out and FFXII doesn't have the hype of being the first next-gen FF.

Well, but from when FF X came out to FF XII will come out, there will be like... ¿5 million PS2+?

And there has been a lot of million sellers for the PS2 since the FF X launch (like WE, GT, DW, KH...) and two very big sellers like FF X-2 and DQ VIII. Why couldn't FF XII reach the sales levels of DQ VIII? It's the most anticipated game in Japan for almost 3 years.

PD: Sorry for my bad English :p

jett

D-Member
WTF? Rockman-Rockman was released this week. Meh....freaking meh. I guess this means no more remakes of either MMX or MM. Fucking japanese non-gamers.

NWO

Heian-kyo said:
I just want SE to support both handhelds as strongly as possible.

Why?

SE will support whichever console is bringing in the most cash for them. So if one of them is not turning enough money for them they will cut support for it as they should. Why should a company continue to support a userbase that does not want their games just because YOU want them to?

This board is classic. If SE was supporting a Sony system or handheld the most and somebody said that they should support a Nintendo/MS console or handheld the most everyone would jump down their throats and say buy a PS2 or buy a PSP but when any company shows any support to somebody other than Sony everyone has to downplay it like its no big deal and make it sound like its a mistake not showing Sony support.

Furoba

I would advice keeping in mind that both Seiken Densetsu CoM as Nintendo DS.lite were released on March 2nd. That's only two days worth of sales (most shops are closed on Sunday).
Next to that, shipments might have been low for Seiken Densetsu, so we might see even better sales next week.

Jeff-DSA

Monorojo said:

You have to consider profit into the equation though. Not only the DS 3rd party games sell more in regards to total numbers, but their production budgets are much smaller. DS software is simply more profitable for 3rd parties (and insanely moreso for 1st and 2nd parties).

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Isn't FFXII like twice as expensive to purchase as AC on the DS, so 2.5 million copies of FFXII >>> 2.5 million copies AC (if you look to the grosses). That said FFXII won't reach the sales of FFX....sadly :(

I hoping though that the quality of the game will generate some positive word of mouth, so maybe FFXII won't be an instant seller, but it might have longer legs then the other FF titles.

Monorojo

Banned
Well many 3rd party PSP titles are straigh ports/remakes/multiplatform

MH:portable, Tales of Eternia, Legend of Heroes all sold over 100k...all practically straight ports with likely small production values.

Top Bottom