• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create: 27 FEB ~ 05 MAR

Dante said:
Did you see the lines for that thing? I was expecting closer to 400k.

Didn't you hear of first shipment figures? It doesn't matter how large the lines were, the DSLite sold out in minutes.

Monorojo said:
But you also have to consider that average 3rd party title sold favors DS by quite a bit (72k vs 55k) But then take away teh top title for each, the average becomes much closer.

So i guess you can say tehy sell the same

Do you have any explanation why we should take away the top title of each plattform (besides the fact that for the DS it is Tamagotchi with a bit over a million)?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Frankfurter said:
Do you have any explanation why we should take away the top title of each plattform (besides the fact that for the DS it is Tamagotchi with a bit over a million)?
Maybe it's like the Olympics, you drop the top and bottom score. :lol

GDJustin said:
Som basically like NPD #s?

;)
Yes, exactly. :)

Dante said:
Actually I didn't :( but now's your chance to tell me :)

estimated was 82k... but due tot he fact that pretty much everywhere was sold out at openning of doors, whatever sold is pretty much whatever shipped.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Dante said:
Actually I didn't :( but now's your chance to tell me :)
There were only like 68k Lites shipped.

However much you see reported in the Media Crate hardware numbers, that's how much there were.

Ganondorf>Link said:
How the fuck is selling over 100k in a week a flop?

It's really not, but it's below (GAF) expectations. I think it could have sold a littler more had there been more DSLs available. People like to pick up new games to show off their new systems. However, it could have the same legs that DQM had on DS.

ioi

Banned
OK, a few things:

1) FFX sales are actually over 2.93m now. These numbers were including the international version (0.28m), the mega hits (0.17m) and the original release (2.48m). If you remember though, the FFX mega hits version was re-released recently and has done about another 150k, so the game has done very well on budget release, same with Kingdom Hearts (about another 300k).

2) However, I agree that when comparing to FF XII there are a number of factors, and it is really the 2.48m number that we should compare to since FF XII will not have a further 4-5 years to continue selling like a game does released early on in a consoles life. This is a standard thing, games released towards the end of the life of a console sell massive first weeks (large userbase all rush out to buy) and then drop away. This is yet another reason why all the DS games will hit such massive numbers, they have a good 2-3 years sales in them yet.

3) FF XII will probably sell about on par with FF X's original release, which can be seen at http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japgamewk.php?name=Final Fantasy X. So getting close to 2m opening few days (maybe just over) and then dropping away. No way will it do Dragon Quest 3m+ level numbers. In fact I don't think a Final Fantasy game will ever break 3.5m again in Japan, the series definitely peaked at VII and VIII, and FF XII is in a very similar situation to FF IX back in 2000 on PS.

4) Children of Mana is disappointing. I was expecting around 200k at least (Sword of Mana was just a remake of the original Seiken Densetsu game, this is a whole new installment on the DS, the machine of the moment in Japan) so 100k is low. It'll probably struggle to do 200k total now, although it may have some legs and may have been affected to an extent by DS Lite shortages etc and people waiting until they pick up a Lite to get the game, we'll have to wait and see. And Puzzleloop is a bit of a bomb as well. So overall quite disappointing, but then it's a marathon and not a sprint and the rest of March is going to be very interesting...

Monorojo

Banned
Frankfurter said:

Tamagotchi sold 3X the amount of any other 3rd party game, its not an indication of how DS 3rd party is doing in general, its the exception.

Take away Tamagotchi and DS 3rd party sales are absolutetely pathetic. Take away PSP top title and it isnt hurt nearly as bad.

Actually by taking away the #1 title for each, PSP
> DS.

Fuzzy said:
Maybe it's like the Olympics, you drop the top and bottom score. :lol

:lol :lol

Monorojo said:
Tamagotchi sold 3X the amount of any other 3rd party game, its not an indication of how DS 3rd party is doing in general, its the exception. Take away Tamagotchi and DS 3rd party sales are absolutetely pathetic. Take away PSP top title and it isnt hurt nearly as bad. Actually by taking away the #1 title for each, PSP > DS.

Yeah great..., of course Tamagotchi isn't an indication of how DS 3rd party games are doing in general, otherwise it wouldn't be the no.1 selling DS 3rd party game.
Interesting self-fulfilling prophecy.

ioi

Banned
Monorojo said:
Tamagotchi sold 3X the amount of any other 3rd party game, its not an indication of how DS 3rd party is doing in general, its the exception.

Take away Tamagotchi and DS 3rd party sales are absolutetely pathetic. Take away PSP top title and it isnt hurt nearly as bad.

> DS.

We have this conversation again and again, so what?? Sony's first party offerings have been so weak and Nintendo's so strong that I don't see what bearing this has! PSP has had more high-profile 3rd party games than DS. There are lots of reasons for this, but things will soon change anyway with more and more big 3rd party games coming out on DS.

Monorojo

Banned
Sony is the #3 publisher in the US (behind EA and Nintendo) and #3 in Japan (Behind Bandia and Nintendo) in terms of Handhelds

It isnt like they are a joke and dont even try to act like they are, its just that third parties sell great along side Sony games on PSP. Cant say the same thing for DS.

Monorojo said:

> DS.

Your point is valid, but 3rd party sales for the PSP were much higher closer to its launch. The only three big 3rd party games since then have been Winning Eleven (no-brainer), Brain Training (wonder where that idea came from), and Monster Hunter. On top of that, PSP has been getting huge titles like Metal Gear, Megaman, SMT, Katamari Damacy, and so on while the DS has been getting games like Pac n' Roll and Resident Evil rehash. PSP's 3rd party sales should be dominating DS's.

Monorojo said:
Sony is the #3 publisher in the US (behind EA and Nintendo) and #3 in Japan (Behind Bandia and Nintendo) in terms of Handhelds

It isnt like they are a joke and dont even try to act like they are, its just that third parties sell great along side Sony games on PSP. Cant say the same thing for DS.

Tamagotchi says hi!

Sorry, your crusade about how third party games aren't selling on DS isn't working! Nintendo as a company will eclipse just about every third party in terms of sales, because they have been the number 1 in Japan for years even without Pokemon company. So obviously, others will pale in comparison. Doesn't mean on their own, third party sales aren't doing well on the DS.

ioi

Banned
Monorojo said:

Lol, what you fail to mention is that in Japan Nintendo have sold more games on DS+PSP than everything else combined, that's what matters.

Saying "well if you take this away and then don't include that then you have this" is just silly.

Mrbob

Didn't someone do a breakdown in another thread and shown us 3rd party sales, in terms of average software units sold, were pretty close between the DS and PSP.

Monorojo

Banned
Take away top for each and its 3.1 million~ PSP and 2.8 million~ DS.

It simply gives a better indication of what system 3rd parties are selling better on, and thats PSP. DS has one hit, Tamagotchi and the rest have sold far less than stellar. And then when you consider fanbase its no longer even a question which system is doing better for 3rd parties, it actually becomes a complete joke.

Just becuase Nintendo sells well doesnt mean 3rd parties should sell like junk outside of Tamagotchi. Sony games have always sold well (not nearly to the extent of Nintendo however) and 3rd parties have flourished on the system.

Its just that DS fanbase buys DS for Nintendo games primarily. PSP owners buy PSP for teh 3rd party support primarily and then Sony games are jsut an extra. 3rd parties are obviously taking note of this.

Also Resident Evil port and SE franchises are much bigger currently than Megaman port, SMT, or Katarmi port. And lately PSP has had a huge boost from 3rd party's, including Initial D and Valkryie Profile which have both done pretty damn good considering nothing was selling on PSP period since August up until MH:portable.

Mrbob said:
Didn't someone do a breakdown in another thread and shown us 3rd party sales, in terms of average software units sold, were pretty close between the DS and PSP.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=88872

Monorojo said:

It simply gives a better indication of what system 3rd parties are selling better on, and thats PSP. DS has one hit, Tamagotchi and the rest have sold far less than stellar. And then when you consider fanbase its no longer even a question which system is doing better for 3rd parties, it actually becomes a complete joke.

Just becuase Nintendo sells well doesnt mean 3rd parties should sell like junk outside of Tamagotchi. Sony games have always sold well (not nearly to the extent of Nintendo however) and 3rd parties have flourished on the system.

Its just that DS fanbase buys DS for Nintendo games primarily. PSP owners buy PSP for teh 3rd party support primarily and then Sony games are jsut an extra. 3rd parties are obviously taking note of this.

Also Resident Evil port and SE franchises are much bigger currently than Megaman port, SMT, or Katarmi port. And lately PSP has had a huge boost from 3rd party's, including Initial D and Valkryie Profile which have both done pretty damn good considering nothing was selling on PSP period since August up until MH:portable.

gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif

gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif

gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif

Archie, your Avatar is amazing :D

Jeff-DSA

Monorojo said:

Despite all of the posted evidence in this thread that DS 3rd party titles actually sell better than PSP 3rd party titles you somehow remain insanely ignorant.

Who cares what the total sales are compared to install base? All that really matters is where the bigger overall numbers are. DS 3rd party software on the average sells better. If I was to make a DS and PSP game and have the DS only sell 10k more, I wouldn't be thinking that the PSP release was a success while the DS release was a flop due to install base numbers. I'd be hailing the DS release as the more successful title because it put more money in my pocket (especially when you consider dev budgets).

ioi

Banned
Monorojo said:

I didn't notice that thread and looking back it got a lot of hate which was a bit harsh, but to be honest what exactly are you saying?

That third parties do relatively better on Sony than Nintendo hardware?

Well I don't think that suprises any one. The point here though is that while you can just about twist the numbers at the moment to support that, you seem to ignore the fact that the enormous success of Nintendo's own games will only act to increase the userbase more, bring more users and encourage more and more third party software.

The PSP is actually doing quite well at the moment with Monster Hunter and some reasonable numbers for Valkyrie and Initial D (about 1/3 of the console sales for similar games) but with so many games bombing (some on DS also to be fair) you have to ask if the PSP is ever going to have a million seller? There's a VERY slim chance Monster Hunter could get there with some legs and maybe a budget release, but I'm afraid everything is strongly on the DS side at the moment. Unless we suddenly get FF XIII and DQ IX announced for PSP!

Develop a PSP game 1000.000 Dollar
Develop a NDS game 100.000 Dollar

which one to take?
Both sell about the same......
which one to take?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Ruud_Luiten said:
Develop a PSP game 1000.000 Dollar
Develop a NDS game 100.000 Dollar

which one to take?
Both sell about the same......
which one to take?
PSP. Third parties do better there.

Mmmkay

You're really not 'defending' this issue any better than it is being 'attacked'. We don't know the developemnt costs of any particular PSP title and even if we did [not that they would be an order of magnitude different as implied], they vary greatly between games. Something like Valkyrie Profile will cost significantly less to make than a newly developed RPG. You're also ignoring revenue of sales and the cut that is returned to publishers/developers. A PSP title may sell less, but it usually costs more to buy does it not? (Well the principle holds in Western markets, I'm not entirely sure where Japanese prices are. I'd still guess though that pub/dev returns are higher for PSP software.)

Mmmkay

Oblivion said:
It's true. The hardware price difference in Japan is like an equivalent of $30 in the U.S. From what I rememer, anyway.

Zuh?
DSL = 16,800 yen
PSP Value = 24,800 yen

That's about $70. The $30 difference must have come from comparing a DSL to the barebones PSP, which is a bit disingenuous imho.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mmmkay said:
Zuh?
DSL = 16,800 yen
PSP Value = 24,800 yen

That's about $70. The $30 difference must have come from comparing a DSL to the barebones PSP, which is a bit disingenuous imho.

Oh, that's probably what it was. NM then.

jarrod

Banned
Monorojo said:

> DS.
Not for 2005/2006... the only reason PSP has somewhat decent totals is from launch rush software, without 2004 releases PSP plummets dramatically (practically in half). It's been a steep decline for PSP 3rd parties actually, where as DS 3rd party sales have been steadily on the rise. Just look at which 3rd party games managed over 85k on either platform...

DS 2004
-Kimi no Tame Nara Shineru (SEGA)
-Puyo Puyo Fever (SEGA)

DS 2005
-Bokujou Monogatari: Colobocle Station (MMV)
-Pac-Pix (Namco)
-Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (TOMY)
-Rockman EXE 5 DS: Twin Leaders (Capcom)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour (Konami)
-Naruto RPG 2: Chidori vs. Rasengan (TOMY)
-Power Pocket Koushien (Konami)
-Gyakuten Saiban: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Capcom)
-Tamagotchi no PuchiPuchi Omisecchi (Bandai)
-Dragon Ball Z: Bukuu Ressen (Bandai)
-Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 2: Daisensha to Shippo Dan (Square Enix)
-Kouchuu Ouja Mushi King: Greatest Champion e no Michi DS (SEGA)
-Power Pro Kun Pocket 8 (Konami)

DS 2006
-Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana (Square Enix)

PSP 2004
-Mahjong Fight Club (Konami)
-Metal Gear AC!D (Konami)
-Ridge Racers (Namco)
-Shin Sangoku Musou (Koei)
-Eiyuu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy: Shiroki Majo (Bandai)
-Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan Daijiten (Namco)

PSP 2005
-Tales of Eternia (Namco)
-Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu Nou Chikara Trainer Portable (SEGA)
-World Soccer Winning Eleven 9: Ubiquitous Evolution (Konami)
-Monster Hunter Portable (Capcom)
-Geki Sengoku Musou (Koei)

PSP 2006
-none

...right now, DS is by a wide margin the healthier software market for 3rd parties. No question.

jarrod said:
...right now, DS is by a wide margin the healthier software market for 3rd parties. No question.
get out of here with your "logic" and your "numbers" and "facts" and stuff

this is gaf

polg

Kobun Heat said:

this is gaf

well said! :lol

all that was missing in your comment was some random gif/photoshop... :p (insert what what dog here)

maxmars

jarrod said:
Just look at which 3rd party games managed over 85k on either platform...

It's all fine and dandy but I'd like to know why you chose that 85k threshold.. Does it hold some kind of esoteric meaning?

AniHawk

maxmars said:
It's all fine and dandy but I'd like to know why you chose that 85k threshold.. Does it hold some kind of esoteric meaning?

It's the line that separates profit from loss for most PSP games.

ioi

Banned
To be honest sales on both DS (3rd party) and PSP (everything) have been pretty abysmal so until we get some decent games pulling some decent numbers then comparisons are pretty pointless.

And the facts are that the DS looks much healthier in the next 6 months than the PSP.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Kobun Heat said:

this is gaf
I don't think you can handle a battle of the wits with Hein-kyo and Monorojo. I wouldn't even try.

maxmars

AniHawk said:
It's the line that separates profit from loss for most PSP games.

!!!

How much does a DS full priced game has to sell to attain the same goal for its developer?

Damn I am tired I am forming yoda like sentences..

ioi said:
To be honest sales on both DS (3rd party) and PSP (everything) have been pretty abysmal so until we get some decent games pulling some decent numbers then comparisons are pretty pointless.
Thank you. Can you all end this now?

Kaworu

Tenkabito bomba!

Tenkabito was in the Famitsu Most Wanted Top 20 for about two months... :S

Last Top

1) Final Fantasy XII---Square Enix---PS2---3.747
2) Bio Hazard 5---Capcom---PS3---1.601
3) Mother 3---Nintendo---GBA---1.489
4) Metal Gear Solid 4---Konami---PS3---1.458
5) Final Fantasy III---Square Enix---DS---848
6) Valkyrie Profile Silmeria---Square Enix---PS2---784
7) Kimi Kiss---Enterbrain---PS2---763
8) Blue Dragon---Microsoft---X360---689
9) Legend of Zelda---Nintendo---GC---622
10) Seiken Densetsu 4---Square Enix---PS2---615
11) Tenkabito---Sega---PS2---593
12) Dragon Quest Yangus---Square Enix---PS2---504
13) Ôkami---Capcom---PS2---482
14) Devil Summoner Kazuhona Rydoh---Atlus---PS2---429
15) Xenosaga Episode III---Namco---PS2---395
16) Seiken Densetsu DS---Square Enix---DS---392
17) Gundam Climax U.C.---Bandai---PS2---366
18) Ace Combat Zero---Namco---PS2---323
19) Gyakuten Saiban 4---Capcom---DS---316
20) Zettaizetsumei Toshi 2---Irem---PS2---314

AniHawk

maxmars said:
!!!

How much does a DS full priced game has to sell to attain the same goal for its developer?

I can't do this to you. I was bullshitting. Sorry.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
maxmars said:
!!!

40K and I'm not just making that up, it's a real number just like AniHawk's. :D

AniHawk said:
I can't do this to you. I was bullshitting. Sorry.
Hasn't everyone learned yet when it comes to you?

Top Bottom