• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create: 27 FEB ~ 05 MAR

maxmars

Fuzzy said:
40K and I'm not just making that up, it's a real number just like AniHawk's. :D

Hasn't everyone learned yet when it comes to you?

LOL guess I deserved it. I had enough, going to bed. Fuck you. :D

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DSL - 68,438
DS - 49,118
PSP - 43,110
PS2 - 25,778
GBASP - 5,493
GBM - 3,213
GC - 1,489
Xbox360 - 1,240
Xbox - 101
GBA - 98

Beowvlf

Banned
I wonder if the original DS will place ahead of the PSP and PS2 for the next few weeks/months. Normally one would say doubtful, but in this case, it wouldn't be surprising. Will Nintendo still be manufacturing a decent amount?

mj1108

XBox last week: 61
XBox this week: 101

MOMENTUM!!!!

Heian-kyo said:
I wonder if the original DS will place ahead of the PSP and PS2 for the next few weeks/months. Normally one would say doubtful, but in this case, it wouldn't be surprising. Will Nintendo still be manufacturing a decent amount?

Of course they will be manufacturing a decent amount once they get up to speed. And it looks like even with "shortages" they are still coming out on top.

Fuzzy

Heian-kyo said:
Well they said there would be 200K shipped in March. I have no idea after that if it'll decrease significantly or not.

mj1108 said:
XBox last week: 61
XBox this week: 101

MOMENTUM!!!!
A 40% increase!

I know it's 66%

cvxfreak

2/20 - 2/26 hardware:

h-121_49776_060324hard.jpg.jpg

Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisetchi: 1,002,576

Fuzzy

Did anyone notice that Rockman Rockman debuted at number 50? We knew it didn't crack the top 30 but 50 is just pathetic.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Fuzzy said:
Did anyone notice that Rockman Rockman debuted at number 50? We knew it didn't crack the top 30 but 50 is just pathetic.
We knew about two pages ago and it started that pathetic 3rd party argument, YET AGAIN. :(

Fuzzy

Archie said:
We knew about two pages ago and it started that pathetic 3rd party argument, YET AGAIN. :(
We knew it ranked lower than 30 but didn't know it barely made the top 50.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Fuzzy said:
We knew it ranked lower than 30 but didn't know it barely made the top 50.
Oh. I thought it was mentioned it was below 50. I kinda phased that pissing contest out.

Fuzzy

cvxfreak said:
2/20 - 2/26 hardware:

h-121_49776_060324hard.jpg.jpg

Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisetchi: 1,002,576
Another thing I like about Famitsu is the breakdown of software percentage by console/handheld.

h-121_49776_060324soft.jpg.jpg

Beowvlf

Banned
Media Create Top 50 chart is finally starting to even out in terms of # of games per platform:

DS -- 17
PS2 -- 16
PSP -- 12
GBA -- 4
GC -- 1

Bebpo

Banned
Kaworu said:
Tenkabito bomba!

Tenkabito was in the Famitsu Most Wanted Top 20 for about two months... :S

Ummm...what? It was some bland RTS by Sega that no one cared about. How the hell did it get in the top20 or even sell more than 1,000 copies?

Monorojo

Banned
jarrod said:
DS 2005
-Bokujou Monogatari: Colobocle Station (MMV)
-Pac-Pix (Namco)
-Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (TOMY)
-Rockman EXE 5 DS: Twin Leaders (Capcom)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour (Konami)
-Naruto RPG 2: Chidori vs. Rasengan (TOMY)
-Power Pocket Koushien (Konami)
-Gyakuten Saiban: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Capcom)
-Tamagotchi no PuchiPuchi Omisecchi (Bandai)
-Dragon Ball Z: Bukuu Ressen (Bandai)
-Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 2: Daisensha to Shippo Dan (Square Enix)
-Kouchuu Ouja Mushi King: Greatest Champion e no Michi DS (SEGA)
-Power Pro Kun Pocket 8 (Konami)

PSP 2005
-Tales of Eternia (Namco)
-Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu Nou Chikara Trainer Portable (SEGA)
-World Soccer Winning Eleven 9: Ubiquitous Evolution (Konami)
-Monster Hunter Portable (Capcom)
-Geki Sengoku Musou (Koei)

...right now, DS is by a wide margin the healthier software market for 3rd parties. No question.

Thats actually quite misleading. It looks like 3rd parties on DS atleast sold double (even triple!) that of PSP.

Looking at 3rd party sales for 2005 DS was 3.3 million vs PSP 2.3 million.... Avg title DS 78k vs Avg PSP title 49k. Thats a pretty big advantage for DS i admit.

But Now take away #1 spot on each and PSP is at 1.8 million vs DS 2.3 million. Avg title 55k for DS and 43k for PSP. Not very big difference at all really.

Then take into consideration fanbase...attach rate (w/ #1 titles) for third parties is .79 for DS and PSP is .95. Now take away #1 title for each and it's DS .55 vs PSP .81

So considering everything, PSP did very well vs DS in 2005, blew them out in 2004 and is about equal so far in 2006 (VP will sell over 85k by next week, Initial D may reach that eventually as well).

You have to look at everything, not just top sellers or one year.

And isnt it amazing people consider PSP a failure in Japan when in 2 months it has sold more there (400k) then it will likely in the same time span in US (PSP sold 180k~ Jan) where its considered a great success. The system is selling amazingly well for being "dead" like so many claim here :D. Software sales are much better in the US tho.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Monorojo said:
Thats actually quite misleading. It looks like 3rd parties on DS atleast sold double (even triple!) that of PSP.

Looking at 3rd party sales for 2005 DS was 3.3 million vs PSP 2.3 million.... Avg title DS 78k vs Avg PSP title 49k. Thats a pretty big advantage for DS i admit.

But Now take away #1 spot on each and PSP is at 1.8 million vs DS 2.3 million. Avg title 55k for DS and 43k for PSP. Not very big difference at all really.

Then take into consideration fanbase...attach rate (w/ #1 titles) for third parties is .79 for DS and PSP is .95. Now take away #1 title for each and it's DS .55 vs PSP .81

So considering everything, PSP did very well vs DS in 2005, blew them out in 2004 and is about equal so far in 2006 (VP will sell over 85k by next week, Initial D may reach that eventually as well).

And isnt it amazing people consider PSP a failure in Japan when in 2 months it has sold more there (400k) then it will likely in the same time span in US (PSP sold 180k~ Jan) where its considered a great success. The system is selling amazingly well for being "dead" like so many claim here :D. Software sales are much better in the US tho.

Repeat after me:

THIRD
PARTIES
ARE
SELLING
MORE
GAMES
ON
THE
NINTENDO
DUAL SCREEN
VIDEOGAME SYSTEM
IN
JAPAN

Fuzzy

jj984jj said:
Anybody have the correct DS/PSP YTD/LTD/DS Lead?
Sorry about that. I added DS and DSL together.

YTD/LTD
DS - 568,920/6,215,872
PSP - 412,535/3,095,497
DS Lead - 156,385/3,120,375

Monorojo said:

Best post of the week, seriously :lol :lol

Let's take away that, then consider this ... change a bit of that ...

You have to look at everything

Granted. So why do you take away the #1 spot of each handheld if you wanna look at everything (definition of "everything" =/= "well ... DS has a million seller and it mustn't be counted")?

Monorojo

Banned
What

In 2004 not even close.

In 2005 sure.

In 2006 im not sure.

Total by a very small amount.

Now repeat after me, the avg. PSP 3rd party title is selling just as well compared to the average thrid party DS game even when the fanbase is double the size.

If thats not any indication that 3rd parties arent leaving PSP i dont know what is.

On the one hand, DS Lite launch week supplies were low. On the other hand, it still surpassed the yearly sales for GCN, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, Xbox, and Xbox 360.

With this week's numbers, it looks like Nintendo has taken a slight lead in total hardware sales for the year.

Code:
N:   716,102  49.5%
S:   703,690  48.6%
M:    27,340   1.9%

Compared to this time last year...

Code:
N:   620,293  37.9%
S: 1,010,866  61.8%
M:     4,017   0.2%

Fuzzy said:
Hasn't everyone learned yet when it comes to you?
Ehh, AniHawk is a bit harder to read. Unlike, say, a Gahiggidy, he's not always "on". And unlike some others, he doesn't go over the top to flag when he is.

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
TheTurtleTitan said:
Xbox sales actually increased?

Wow, I'm impressed. I don't know what they did, but it's a step in right direction.

Hehe...a step in the right direction doesn't mean much when you've still got a mile to run to catch up.

jarrod

Banned
Monorojo said:
Thats actually quite misleading.
Quite a compliment considering the source. :p

Too bad DS has totally spanked PSP the past 6 months in 3rd party software sales. It's pretty clear where the trends are going, DS is managing to not only eat GBA's market base but it's actually expanding past it... meanwhile PSP has ultimately failed to really drive anything significant in Japan beyond serving as a niche PS2 compliment. It's pretty telling when your best selling games the past year were no frills PS2/PS1 ports and a SEGA nongame... seriously, the fact is PSP just is not in good shape in Japan. Games like MG AC!D 2, Rockman Rockman, Initial D, etc bombing out the gates is not the sign of healthy software scene. Clinging to total software sales doesn't mean much when the trends so obviously a steep decline.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Fuzzy said:
Sorry about that. I added DS and DSL together.

YTD/LTD
DS - 568,920/6,215,872
PSP - 412,535/3,095,497
DS Lead - 156,385/3,120,375
TY Fuzzy. :D

jarrod said:
Not for 2005/2006... the only reason PSP has somewhat decent totals is from launch rush software, without 2004 releases PSP plummets dramatically (practically in half). It's been a steep decline for PSP 3rd parties actually, where as DS 3rd party sales have been steadily on the rise. Just look at which 3rd party games managed over 85k on either platform...

DS 2004
-Kimi no Tame Nara Shineru (SEGA)
-Puyo Puyo Fever (SEGA)

DS 2005
-Bokujou Monogatari: Colobocle Station (MMV)
-Pac-Pix (Namco)
-Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (TOMY)
-Rockman EXE 5 DS: Twin Leaders (Capcom)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour (Konami)
-Naruto RPG 2: Chidori vs. Rasengan (TOMY)
-Power Pocket Koushien (Konami)
-Gyakuten Saiban: Yomigaeru Gyakuten (Capcom)
-Tamagotchi no PuchiPuchi Omisecchi (Bandai)
-Dragon Ball Z: Bukuu Ressen (Bandai)
-Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 2: Daisensha to Shippo Dan (Square Enix)
-Kouchuu Ouja Mushi King: Greatest Champion e no Michi DS (SEGA)
-Power Pro Kun Pocket 8 (Konami)

DS 2006
-Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana (Square Enix)

PSP 2004
-Mahjong Fight Club (Konami)
-Metal Gear AC!D (Konami)
-Ridge Racers (Namco)
-Shin Sangoku Musou (Koei)
-Eiyuu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy: Shiroki Majo (Bandai)
-Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan Daijiten (Namco)

PSP 2005
-Tales of Eternia (Namco)
-Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu Nou Chikara Trainer Portable (SEGA)
-World Soccer Winning Eleven 9: Ubiquitous Evolution (Konami)
-Monster Hunter Portable (Capcom)
-Geki Sengoku Musou (Koei)

PSP 2006
-none

...right now, DS is by a wide margin the healthier software market for 3rd parties. No question.
All this proves is it depends on how you spin it, which is why I was implying aLttP's and Mono's topics the other day were a horrible idea.

Fact is: 3rd party games in general do horrible on handhelds. Plain and simple.

Monorojo said:

If you have to take everything into account then why do you have to take away the #1 selling third party game from each handheld?

Monorojo

Banned
jj984jj said:
Fact is: 3rd party games in general do horrible on handhelds. Plain and simple.

Whoa Whoa there buddy maybe in Japan, but there is no doubt US 3rd party handhelds do indeed sell well (atleast on PSP)

The average 3rd party title on PSP in the US sells 146,000~ units, thats pretty damn incredible.

jj984jj

Monorojo said:
Whoa Whoa there buddy maybe in Japan, but there is no doubt US 3rd party handhelds do indeed sell well (atleast on PSP)

The average 3rd party title on PSP in the US sells 146,000~ units, thats pretty damn incredible.
We're in a Japanese sales thread. Obviously I'm talking about Japan.

donny2112

Monorojo said:
The average 3rd party title on PSP in the US sells 146,000~ units,

Excluding the first three months after launch and not excluding 1st party sales, it drops to 109K. Take out GTA, and it drops to 99K.

If you torture numbers enough, you can get them to say anything you want. ;)

Monorojo

Banned
100k a title is still awesome.

See its really hard to make PSP sales look bad, they are just so awesome all around.

But i get your point and will stop discussing this as its going nowhere.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:
Quite a compliment considering the source. :p

Too bad DS has totally spanked PSP the past 6 months in 3rd party software sales. It's pretty clear where the trends are going, DS is managing to not only eat GBA's market base but it's actually expanding past it... meanwhile PSP has ultimately failed to really drive anything significant in Japan beyond serving as a niche PS2 compliment. It's pretty telling when your best selling games the past year were no frills PS2/PS1 ports and a SEGA nongame... seriously, the fact is PSP just is not in good shape in Japan. Games like MG AC!D 2, Rockman Rockman, Initial D, etc bombing out the gates is not the sign of healthy software scene. Clinging to total software sales doesn't mean much when the trends so obviously a steep decline.

So you mean to say that Nintendo non-games being the best-selling games for a platform is somehow better than Sega non-games being the same thing!? WTF, it's ON!!!!

*calls out for all the Sega fanboys*

*silence*

:(

Monorojo said:
See its really hard to make PSP sales look bad, they are just so awesome all around

It's really not that hard. I will do it right now with a question:

Besides GTA and EA games, what third party PSP games have sold over 300k in the US?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
The one factor that will make 3rd parties cling to DS is the fact that DS games a dirt ass cheap to develop compared to all other game systems. And no the high price of PSP games does not negate the difference in cost. PSP games have to sell more than DS games to recoupe the same amount of development costs. This is why we see so many ports on the PSP not because the developers are lazy but because of money. Disk based media combined with near PS2 level graphics is an expensive combo for a portable. This is and will continue to be the determining factor for portables. Publishers do not want to entertain the thought of portable development budgets approaching their console budgets.

Monorojo

Banned
Viewtiful Darkness said:
It's really not that hard. I will do it right now with a question:

Besides GTA and EA games, what third party PSP games have sold over 300k in the US?

Star Wars Battlefront II 354,966
Midnight Club 3 D.U.B. Edition 320,126

Thanks for correction fuzzy about Spiderman 2(didnt know what i was thinking)

Fuzzy

Monorojo said:
Star Wars Battlefront II 354,966

Now we look at DS (only 1 3rd party title period over 300k and its made by EA :lol ) and fit it into your criteria.

The best we can do is Asphalt Urban GT and that misses the mark by some 70,000 units.

See its really hard.
You forgot Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition 320,126 for the PSP.

EDIT: Spider-Man: The Movie 2 341,671 (no January data) is Activision, not EA so the DS has 1.

mj1108

Viewtiful Darkness said:
If you have to take everything into account then why do you have to take away the #1 selling third party game from each handheld?

Because he has to spin...spin...spin!

Then of course he's so busy spinning that he doesn't remember what he says then contradicts himself later. :)

jj984jj

Fuzzy said:
You forgot Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition 320,126 for the PSP.

EDIT: Spider-Man: The Movie 2 341,671 (no January data) is Activision, not EA so the DS has 1.
Although IMO we shouldn't really be talking much about NA sales in a Japanese sales thread. Most 3rd parties games without a license attached don't sell well on handhelds in America as well. GTA is like Tamagotchi in NA, it's not indication of 3rd party sales on the PSP.

But then again, Mono will spin anything to make the PSP look good and make the DS look bad.

Have we ever gotten the FULL LTDS for PSP/DS game in the US based off of January NPD?

I remember I had a pretty bg list, but Crazy buttocks didn't put ALL the sales, so some of the list wasn't fully updated

Fuzzy

LanceStern said:
Have we ever gotten the FULL LTDS for PSP/DS game in the US based off of January NPD?

I remember I had a pretty bg list, but Crazy buttocks didn't put ALL the sales, so some of the list wasn't fully updated
No.

Fuzzy said:
40K and I'm not just making that up, it's a real number just like AniHawk's. :D

If you're serious then I guess that's reason enough for 3rd parties to go to the DS instead of the PSP. Does the same thing apply to American sales (selling 40k to turn a profit)?

Top Bottom