• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulous resigns from Breitbart over pedophilia comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeesEight

This is an incredible article. One of the best I've read on the entire issue, honestly. It really boils down the motivation behind a lot of alt-righters. Fear, immaturity, and hate.

It's an interesting article. I do take some concern with one of her closing paragraphs:

Delicious as you might find it to see karma come for Yiannopoulos, what he actually said about gay relationships and child molestation was less offensive than a great many bigoted things he has come out with — in part because, for once, it seemed just a little bit true to his experience. When he spoke about consenting relationships between adult men where there’s a large age gap, he was talking about something that is a real and meaningful part of romantic experience for a lot of gay men — and something that American conservatives seem to have no problem with when the participants are heterosexual or, indeed, presidential candidates.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding her point here but I would not agree that a relationship between adults and young teenage boys is either a consenting relationship or a part of meaningful romantic experiences for gay men. Either she's being incredibly generous to Milo's statements on the matter to the point of reading past what he said in an attempt to redefine the spirit of his words or she's endorsing statutory rape as a coming of age thing for gay youth.

There is most definitely an issue with this in the LGBT community and romanticising it isn't doing any good even if it's done to simply keep tone with the rest of your article. Once again, Milo wasn't crucified on the hill of a generation gap between adults: it was specifically over relationships between adults and underage teens. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt of sloppy accuracy for maintaining tone but what Milo said is legitimately unsettling. It was just one of a long litany of disgusting things he's said that finally stuck.

rjinaz

It's an interesting article. I do take some concern with one of her closing paragraphs:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding her point here but I would not agree that a relationship between adults and young teenage boys is either a consenting relationship or a part of meaningful romantic experiences for gay men. Either she's being incredibly generous to Milo's statements on the matter to the point of reading past what he said in an attempt to redefine the spirit of his words or she's endorsing statutory rape as a coming of age thing for gay youth.

There is most definitely an issue with this in the LGBT community and romanticising it isn't doing any good even if it's done to simply keep tone with the rest of your article. Once again, Milo wasn't crucified on the hill of a generation gap between adults: it was specifically over relationships between adults and underage teens. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt of sloppy accuracy for maintaining tone but what Milo said is legitimately unsettling. It was just one of a long litany of disgusting things he's said that finally stuck.

Well she specifically says relationships between adult men. I'm guessing she is more referring to something like 18 year old with a 40 year old or something. But I could be wrong.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
But this "movement of gamers" just remind me that we were the front line

And we failed.

I'm proud to be part of a forum that did not let that bullshit have a place.
But the gaming community itself failed.

Transcript of events in the Yiannopoulous home:

XkfzTrq.gif

Nanashrew

Banned
But this "movement of gamers" just remind me that we were the front line

And we failed.

Us. We all tried. The industry giants on the other hand are the ones who failed to do anything at all. Their idea to stay silent, even game news sites, only allowed the festering germ grow into cancerous poison.

BeesEight

Well she specifically says relationships between adult men. I'm guessing she is more referring to something like 18 year old with a 40 year old or something. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, it's just that what Milo is under fire for isn't between adults. It's kind of the whole point he's under fire.

Hence, I don't know if she's trying to read past what he said and give him the most generous reading of intent while ignoring his words or... well... she's romanticising it. As I said, it's the only sticking part I have with the article but since it's the issue that specifically lynch-pinned the downfall of her subject's story it seems like such a weird point to mischaracterize.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Since this is the most recent Yiannopoulos thread, I'll post this article here. Interesting read.

On the Milo Bus With the Lost Boys of America’s New Right

This is a great piece that ties into stuff on my mind recently. I honestly don't know how reachable these young men are, because I honestly don't think any change in their material conditions could satiate their frustration at this point, they're too deep in a community that has whipped up an impossible set of visions for how "things should be". It doesn't matter if they get a good job. It doesn't matter if they ever get a girlfriend. The world is never going to look the way they're convinced it has to look to be just

rec0ded1

Awesome article. So how do you stop the rise of this shit? If we survive this wave another major wave will be here in 5 to 10 years that will be more savvy having learned from past failings.

Rational discourse did shit to take down Milo, so do we have to depend on shitheads smacking each other down when they go to far in their own bubbles? Being inclusive and coddling them is out of the question because aint nobody got time for that.

More and more I'm concluding that something awful has to happen in order to reset morality and have humans learn once again the dangers of bigotry, racism, misogyny, etc.

Sblargh

Banned
This is a great piece that ties into stuff on my mind recently. I honestly don't know how reachable these young men are, because I honestly don't think any change in their material conditions could satiate their frustration at this point, they're too deep in a community that has whipped up an impossible set of visions for how "things should be". It doesn't matter if they get a good job. It doesn't matter if they ever get a girlfriend. The world is never going to look the way they're convinced it has to look to be just

I think one tricky step is to tell apart who are the "trolls" and the actual neonazis, because as of now, both are using the same language, but when push comes to shove, when life stop giving you candy for being a cute "provocateur", you'll have to tell it like it is and I believe a lot of them will just be embarassed and go "I'm not really this character I created and I'm sorry" (probably will not be spoken in these words, but it will be a process of reinventing oneself through one's 20s)

The issue, then, is what to do about the ones who bought the joke as deadly serious and are now newly converted actual neonazis.

Lord Fagan

I think one tricky step is to tell apart who are the "trolls" and the actual neonazis, because as of now, both are using the same language, but when push comes to shove, when life stop giving you candy for being a cute "provocateur", you'll have to tell it like it is and I believe a lot of them will just be embarassed and go "I'm not really this character I created and I'm sorry" (probably will not be spoken in these words, but it will be a process of reinventing oneself through one's 20s)

The issue, then, is what to do about the ones who bought the joke as deadly serious and are now newly converted actual neonazis.

The strategy will ultimately depend on just how many we're talking about here, the proportion of soulless monsters to confused kids. I want to believe there's not actually a whole lot of genuine, under-the-radar fascists out there, but I'm also becoming more wary lately at assuming this is the case. If the rot reaches that deep, we're looking at more than just a very loud, ugly culture war.

Miletius

There will always be an element perpetual lost boys in every generation. Men who never grow up and end up subsisting at the edge of society for the rest of their lives. Some will take to extreme views to compensate for their failure. There's very little you can do about it other than minimize the amount of people who fall into this category. The Lost Boys of this article still have a chance. Not all of them will make it. And some of them will turn back to their former lives in an effort to explain their failure to launch. They should thank their lucky stars they even have a chance, because, as the author points out, many people do not get that second chance.

No sympathy for the 4-chan wing of the Republican party here. They talk about the "intolerant left" but they didn't realize that the right was filled with religious nuts? C'mon, give me a break. Maybe the reason why people didn't tolerate your views were that they, were, in fact, intolerable.

Since this is the most recent Yiannopoulos thread, I'll post this article here. Interesting read.

On the Milo Bus With the Lost Boys of America's New Right

This was the best paragraph I read all day:

I enjoy most respectful conversation, and these boys are scrupulously polite to me. They were polite to me a month earlier when I slept on their tour bus — right until a door closed between me and them, and they immediately started talking loudly, to each other, about the crass and anatomically implausible things they wanted to do to me. Intellectually, they must have known that I could hear them, but these kids grew up on the Internet, the world's locker room, where if you can't see a woman, she doesn't really exist. The one grown man on the bus started yelling at them to go the hell to sleep — ”there's a girl back there!"—and they yelled back that they'd let me sleep if I let them ”suck my titties." It's no surprise to hear that they're still yearning for the teat, but these babies had best be careful where they go slobbering for the milk of human kindness. I'm just about dried up.

Well, as Ron Burgundy once observed, that escalated quickly. In fact, a great deal seems to have escalated quickly for these profoundly weird young men. Most of them seem more than a little surprised that this has actually happened, that Trump is actually president. ”I voted for him because I thought it was funny," one of them tells me. ”I don't think that he can become a dictator like people say he can. We have too many checks and balances for that, and that's why we have checks and balances. Right?" He picks at the label on his beer bottle.

Fuck

On the Milo Bus With the Lost Boys of America's New Right

I would add this analysis of the Milo/Trump intersection of voters, I think it was written by the guy who originally drew the Pepe comic character
https://medium.com/@DaleBeran/4chan-the-skeleton-key-to-the-rise-of-trump-624e7cb798cb#.ksvfypv5g

Yes, they are generally young, adult white men but there isn't much analysis in the PSMag article of WHY they have the world view they have beyond "well... they are lonely". Well duh, most young men throughout most of history have been lonely. War fixed that problem most generations, getting rid of half the young male population every few decades.

The Medium article though goes more into the differences between this generation and past, the basic idea that they know all the people in power are lying to them but at least Milo and Trump basically are pretty obvious about being con men but are sympathetic in a "well, I was once like you..." kind of way. The horse track betting analogy felt pretty spot on:

Medium said:
We can append a third category to the two classically understood division of Trump supporters:

1) Generally older people who naively believe Trump will ”make America great again," which means return it to its 1950s ideal.
2) The 1%, who know his promises are empty, but also know he will be beneficial to short term business interests.
3) Younger members of the 99 percent, like Anon, who also know his promises are empty, but who support Trump as a defiant expression of despair.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Holy shit this is good

That hypocrisy, though, does not appear self-evident to anyone within this movement, because a fundamental tenet of far-right pro-trolling is that it’s only other people’s feelings that are frivolous. Their own feelings, by contrast, including the capacity to feel shame when they’re held accountable for their actions, are so momentous that infringing them is tantamount to censure, practically fascism in and of itself.

So fucking true, goddamn.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The strategy will ultimately depend on just how many we're talking about here, the proportion of soulless monsters to confused kids. I want to believe there's not actually a whole lot of genuine, under-the-radar fascists out there, but I'm also becoming more wary lately at assuming this is the case. If the rot reaches that deep, we're looking at more than just a very loud, ugly culture war.

I honestly don't think many of them are really nazis at all. I should have included this in my original post, a phrase I saw on Twitter that I think applies to more of the rank and file than you'd expect is nihilistic self loathing. I think a lot of these guys wound up, in one way or another, in a bad place in their lives and instead of getting help they found people who just fed into that in a spiral of toxicity and now their worldview is toxic. Not because they hate out of genuine anger, but because they hate in order to feel something

Which is...its not to let these guys off the hook, or to say that in feeling sorry for them we're obligated to fear them less, because we aren't. But I worry that a lot of them are unreachable because of how badly they've been poisoned.

Most of them seem more than a little surprised that this has actually happened, that Trump is actually president. “I voted for him because I thought it was funny,” one of them tells me. “I don’t think that he can become a dictator like people say he can. We have too many checks and balances for that, and that’s why we have checks and balances. Right?” He picks at the label on his beer bottle.

Trump's election in a nutshell.

Sblargh

Banned
I honestly don't think many of them are really nazis at all. I should have included this in my original post, a phrase I saw on Twitter that I think applies to more of the rank and file than you'd expect is nihilistic self loathing. I think a lot of these guys wound up, in one way or another, in a bad place in their lives and instead of getting help they found people who just fed into that in a spiral of toxicity and now their worldview is toxic. Not because they hate out of genuine anger, but because they hate in order to feel something

Which is...its not to let these guys off the hook, or to say that in feeling sorry for them we're obligated to fear them less, because we aren't. But I worry that a lot of them are unreachable because of how badly they've been poisoned.

They'll grow up, I guess. I think of something like, hippies who were deeply sure that the way forward was to overthrow capitalism and live in communes and then they just went home, then college, then life and "oh honey remember how we were hippies back in the day?"
It's less toxic, but it's no less "I am so shaped by this political worldview of mine and nothing will ever change this never!"
-
Though maybe there is the very real problem of the lower class dude who will never actually "go back home" because he already is where he will kind of be for the rest of his life. He'll be a passive racist who vote republican and lives a miserable life, I guess.

I don't think the majority of Germans were willing throw people in gas chambers and mass graves but once there is a perceived majority of power, shit can hit the fan real quick. Thats why the gamergate chan losers need to be beaten down (figuratively or whatever) ASAP. Otherwise, their numbers add a sort of legitimacy to the minority of actual nazis.

That was an incredible article, and pretty much mirrors what I've realised by observing the likes of Milo, Tomi and those alt right youtubers, they've found an audience of lost gullible fools whom they can ponder to and that's exactly what they are doing. I highly doubt most of them buy some of the shit they say but do it because that's what their audience wants to hear.

Whenever I browse alt right forums a common trend I notice is that these guys have some mythical idea of what the world should be and are deluded into believing Trump is the Messiah who will guide them down that path. They are just a bunch a weak willed fucks who can't stand the weight of the real world pressing against them so they want to burn it down and make it into something it can never be.

riotous

Banned
Maybe I'm misunderstanding her point here but I would not agree that a relationship between adults and young teenage boys is either a consenting relationship or a part of meaningful romantic experiences for gay men.

It's a strange paragraph, but as others said she claims she's referring to some comments he made about age-gaps and adult male homosexuals.

She goes on to say this right after:

His mangled age-of-consent comments and crass priest jokes are a bridge too far, especially for the conservative mainstream

My right wing twitter follows are more concerned with whether the video came from a left wing source rather than the actual foolishness Milo says.The fuck is wrong with people?

Yeah the gaming community , and this includes the slow to react gaming press and developers, are really going to have to take a serious L on Milo and all this shit...

So how do begin to counter this trend? A Ted Talk seminar, or something along the lines of what happened at last year's E3. where you had speakers wearing rainbow lapels in solidarity to the victims at the Pulse nightclub? How do those who want to stem this tide go about exacting that "have you no decency moment" that will shock the collective population into taking more notice?

I paid little to Gamergate and the blowout that followed until I began reading about it here on this and other threads. It's par for the course that people can be assholes in multiplay, but how does one realistically address the issue wholesale without alienating the a great chunk of their demographic?

Watching enthusiastic E3 crowds now takes on a whole new dimension in retrospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom