• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. - Japan goes CRAZY [Screenshots - 1080p/No AA?]

Alrus

HamPster PamPster said:
This is great news. I tried the demo for the latest one (in NA) last year and couldn't get into it due to the loading and controls. Recently I picked up Gods Eater Burst which I really enjoy pretty much because it fixes those issues (IMO anyway). Can't wait to buy this and play it with the second stick anc hopefully no loading between areas

There will be loading too, God Eater had much simpler(boring) zones. And what's the issue with the controls on Tri? If anything they're better than the portable games' ones. (God eater "fixes" the camera control with the lock on, there's none of that in MH, be warned).

Also, God Eater gameplay is still quite different, it's faster paced (weapons have no weight) and more "mashing" friendly. I'm not sure you'll like any MH if you didn't get into Tri (although the demo was kinda bad).

But I really disliked God Eater as a MH fan, so take the advice with a grain of salt

HamPster PamPster said:
This is great news. I tried the demo for the latest one (in NA) last year and couldn't get into it due to the loading and controls. Recently I picked up Gods Eater Burst which I really enjoy pretty much because it fixes those issues (IMO anyway). Can't wait to buy this and play it with the second stick anc hopefully no loading between areas.

God Eater doesn't "fix" anything, it's a different kind of game with different priorities. As different as Tekken is from Virtua Fighter. To the layman those might just be two games about two dudes punching each other out but to fans there's a world of difference. That's juts as true for Monster Hunter and God Eater. In God Eater weapons have no weight, you don't have to learn the ins and outs of a particular weapon along with the how you should use that weapon versus whatever critter you're fighting. You can just sort of mash. God Eater's environments are a copy n' paste ghost town that are more themed arena's than a genuine world like you would find in MH. In GE you'll never find anything other than what you're hunting in a given quest. It's easy to see how GE's levels have only the initial load-in, there isn't a whole lot there.

A better point of comparison for you to try to make would be to see if you like how Monster Hunter Tri plays on the Wii with a classic controller. Tri does have that second analogue stick for the camera but has no lock-on, you'll have to manage the camera, you'll have to aim your blows and that will require having to learn the ins and outs of the weapon you're using and the monster you're fighting. Tri still has loading between the regions, as will any iteration of Portable 3rd/Freedom 3.

What I'm trying to say is, you may very well likely not enjoy Monster Hunter and simply like God Eater. Using God Eater Burst to set your expectations for Portable 3rd/Freedom 3 HD is probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

jaundicejuice said:
Tri still has loading between the regions, as will any iteration of Portable 3rd/Freedom 3.

dunno why people who have troubles with the game complain so much about area transitions. it's somewhere to run away, sharpen your gear and consume some shit in relative safety while you're still learning a monsters tells. loading gets much quicker anyway if you have digital version &/or do the data install + turn on background loading.

fates

mugurumakensei said:
This won't really affect the likelihood of this coming to the west or not. It's either already been decided, or Capcom Japan is using some internal metric to decide. In either case, voting on a blog poll will not change a thing.

Gonna say though, if they posted that trailer, asked "want it?" to the blog like that, dangling it without intent to release it here it all... not cool.

heringer said:
LOVED Monster Hunter Tri. It was my Wii's 2010 GOTY, and that's saying something when you're up against Galaxy 2.

So, what is Monster Hunter Portable 3? Is it a version of Monster Hunter Tri with some new content or a different game altogether? Kinda disappointing that there's no underwater battles, loved those.
i started MH with Tri as well, and tried FU and P3 after. they are almost the same but feel very different. MHTri is a multiplayer focused game, MHP3 is a single player focused game. the key difference is online, Tri has online exclusive battles that, for the most part, requires a team to win (Jhen, Jho, Alatreon, some events). in P3 all the content is available offline, there are pros and cons to each.

it's way more convenient in P3 to get gear because you can farm Jhen and Ala offline, the battles are scaled for single player, also don't have to wait for Jhen event. people die much less against Jho and Ala. get double/triple carted? go single player and learn patterns so you don't look like a fool, reload the save to get spent items back. the convenience of P3 takes away the raw emotion of Tri. i failed my HR51 urgent 9 times, it was me dying from lack of experience, or teammates going down. i was so happy when i found a good team to take Ala down. once on a Jho hunt we ran out of time; the other players were too scared to go in without flash bombing first. none of this will happen in P3 because everyone can practice by themselves.

i prefer Tri overall, but it's really nice playing P3 where every team is on point, monsters will die in 5-10 minutes, and not a single failed mission so far.

Kuran

Banned
LeCapitan said:
Assuming Capcom will fail us, do you think we could import and play online?

Yes, since it uses Ad-hoc party. You should be familiar with the item icons though, or have some knowledge of Japanese.

Kuran

Banned
durrrrrrrrrr said:
i started MH with Tri as well, and tried FU and P3 after. they are almost the same but feel very different. MHTri is a multiplayer focused game, MHP3 is a single player focused game. the key difference is online, Tri has online exclusive battles that, for the most part, requires a team to win (Jhen, Jho, Alatreon, some events). in P3 all the content is available offline, there are pros and cons to each.

it's way more convenient in P3 to get gear because you can farm Jhen and Ala offline, the battles are scaled for single player, also don't have to wait for Jhen event. people die much less against Jho and Ala. get double/triple carted? go single player and learn patterns so you don't look like a fool, reload the save to get spent items back. the convenience of P3 takes away the raw emotion of Tri. i failed my HR51 urgent 9 times, it was me dying from lack of experience, or teammates going down. i was so happy when i found a good team to take Ala down. once on a Jho hunt we ran out of time; the other players were too scared to go in without flash bombing first. none of this will happen in P3 because everyone can practice by themselves.

i prefer Tri overall, but it's really nice playing P3 where every team is on point, monsters will die in 5-10 minutes, and not a single failed mission so far.

What are you talking about, P3 is just as much multiplayer-focussed. Try the guild quests for that.

Wazzim

Banned
I have a question for the thread title, why does it say "Japan goes CRAZY"? Last time I checked MonHun was popular because of the PSP' local wifi function and not because of it being on console.

Aru

Wazzim said:
I have a question for the thread title, why does it say "Japan goes CRAZY"? Last time I checked MonHun was popular because of the PSP' local wifi function and not because of it being on console.

I actually expect it to sell at least 500k units on PS3.

Haunted

Alextended said:
Tri is more accessible due to the single player being basically one giant tutorial with a bit of a more integrated and conventional story progression to begin with and keep newcomers going. It's never unfair, but after you learn things it doesn't become too easy either. Tri is the better game overall, and felt like a true sequel with substantial feature additions (not all of which remained in 3rd) like the customisable bowguns and underwater hunts. For more content after that Unite/2G is a better choice than 3rd imo, even if it can get super cheap at times (fucking plesioth). Things like 2 felynes and what not are just different things, not necessarily better or fresher. Most new monsters aren't great.
Man, I don't understand why people complain so much about Khezu, Plesioth is the real bitch.

Meesh

This is the only game that could get me to buy a PS...looking at thoise pics I'm strongly thinking about it!!! On MHTri I've logged in over 730 hours and my HR is 180...kinda proud of that. I haven't invested that much time in a game since playing through all the versions of FF4.

Can remasters support DLC? That way they can give owners of the HD version 3rd G without ripping them off at full price like they do to PSP owners

Alrus

While it looks clean and nice, the effects are ugly as sin. (Blood, and monster attacks look especially bad).

Gamer @ Heart said:
Can remasters support DLC? That way they can give owners of the HD version 3rd G without ripping them off at full price like they do to PSP owners

But the point is to make more money, not less.

54-46! said:
In development for NGP?
Or Nintendo 3DS. But let's not get into that.
1iy4nk.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
Still looking for the HD part.

It probably just runs in HD? The assets are probably just ported. I don't care if the assets aren't upgraded...I just want to be able to experience this game in a nice resolution, framerate, and the ability to play with friends over the internet. Oh, and use a controller scheme that doesn't suck.

yankee666

Gold Member
Sammy Samusu said:
Monster Hunter Tri (Wii) - 7,340

I think it's a good price, yeah.

Yep its a good price if you didnt spent Y5800 on the PSP version. Asking to pay again Y4800 for the SAME game with only updated resolution is only for the real fans .......like me :)

mutsu

I think this is the right pricing. I mean, it still takes Capcom lots of effort to port it onto PS3 and 3D and so forth. It is still a full game, so for those who don't own PSP already, they can buy this and it's a full featured game so I think this pricing is very much reasonable.

For those who already own the game on PSP... well, the pricing is a little steep for them. It depends if you are desperate to also play the game at home on your big screen TV and with the upgraded visuals, and also online play with your friends.

yankee666 said:
Yep its a good price if you didnt spent Y5800 on the PSP version. Asking to pay again Y4800 for the SAME game with only updated resolution is only for the real fans .......like me :)

Wow for a moment I thought my account was hacked hahaha we have the same avatar

On topic: does capcom said something about the US version of MH3rdP? Its been like what 7 months since the japanese release? We will need to wait more, until they bring the HD+PSP version to US?

CamHostage

Mr_Appleby said:
dunno why people who have troubles with the game complain so much about area transitions. it's somewhere to run away, sharpen your gear and consume some shit in relative safety while you're still learning a monsters tells.

As a strategic player, those zone breaks are nice to exploit, and you're used to the flow of the game. Monster Hunter without zones would play significantly differently from Monster Hunter as it is today.

That said, the zones are artificial breaks in what is otherwise an immersive and "realistic" (take that as you may) game experience. It shouldn't be hard to understand why many (be they occasional MH players comparing it to expectations or hardcore players looking for the next-generation bump) do look at the game and think about how it might be even cooler if it had seamless hunting grounds.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
This game can suckle my genitalia. (´;ω;`)
(Disappointed 20GB owner.)

Alrus

I still can't get over the HUD =/ It seems like such a weird omission and makes the whole thing feel like a lazy cash grab (which it probably is...).

Top Bottom