• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. - Japan goes CRAZY [Screenshots - 1080p/No AA?]

Lance Bone Path said:
Please. If you haven't played it, you should just let people who have played it speak for themselves.

Anything that's dumbed down was dumbed down by Tri first. Tri is not that hard and the game is not about being hard- it's about playing with other people. Much of the difficulty came from various things being broken like hitboxes. If Tri feels harder, it's probably because of the various measures to make it a joyless grind for equipment or hunter rank.

Swimming/underwater is not universally loved. I think fighting underwater is crap and removing it makes the game better because a lot of weapon types return in exchange.

Tri's online is no better than ad hoc party and is worse in many respects.

Ad hoc party supports 8 person rooms, mics (i.e. voice chat), allows the owner of a room to kick out unwanted guests, allows the owner to modify room descriptions whenever, and you can still use regular psn messaging and receive notices that friends are online.

I'm hearing a lot of your own opinion in there. You think Tri is not that hard. You think underwater is bad. You think, you think. You may like it better but there's quite a few (including someone who posted a few lines before me) who believe Tri to be the better game.

And I'm basing what I'm saying off what several folks on this very website have had to say about the two, not just a single opinion or my own speculation on the game. A lot of people have said that Portable 3rd is easier than Tri to the point where collecting gear is somewhat unnecessary (such as being able to wear Jaggi armor and get by 80% of the game just fine). There are also people who liked the underwater sections just fine and feel it to be a downgrade to remove it instead of refining it, which I agree with.

While I agree that removing weapon types was bad form, I also think that they could add them and keep underwater fighting if they really wanted to.

MightyKAC

CoffeeJanitor said:
I'm just confused...Would you be able to play this on PSN? I know nothing about ad-hoc

Yes you would. As long as you and your partner have a PSP and a PS3 (that isn't an old school 20gig version) and the free program you can play online just fine. The program supports text and voice chat and plays monster hunter quite well.

KAL2006

Banned
Hopefully with MH3P coming on PS3 it means Capcom are working on a true sequel MH4 that will release on both PS3/NGP with cross compatibility with saves and online play.

AlphaDragoon said:
I'm hearing a lot of your own opinion in there. You think Tri is not that hard. You think underwater is bad. You think, you think. You may like it better but there's quite a few (including someone who posted a few lines before me) who believe Tri to be the better game.

And I'm basing what I'm saying off what several folks on this very website have had to say about the two, not just a single opinion or my own speculation on the game. A lot of people have said that Portable 3rd is easier than Tri to the point where collecting gear is somewhat unnecessary (such as being able to wear Jaggi armor and get by 80% of the game just fine). There are also people who liked the underwater sections just fine and feel it to be a downgrade to remove it instead of refining it, which I agree with.

While I agree that removing weapon types was bad form, I also think that they could add them and keep underwater fighting if they really wanted to.
Sorry, I don't think that a belief formed from other people's opinions and uninformed by personal experience has as much value as an opinion formed from first hand experience particularly when we're not exactly talking about some rare thing that few people here have ever seen. This is, of course, an opinion.

Collecting gear in Tri is largely unnecessary as well. I got through 80% of Tri with hunter/rathian armor so I'm not exactly seeing a problem with being able to do the same in 3rd.

MightyKAC said:
Yes you would. As long as you and your partner have a PSP and a PS3 (that isn't an old school 20gig version) and the free program you can play online just fine. The program supports text and voice chat and plays monster hunter quite well.
Wait. So I would have to have a PSP.

Damn. I don't have one. I was hoping I would just be able to play it online on my PS3 outright. Ah well

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lance Bone Path said:
I got through 80% of Tri with hunter/rathian armor so I'm not exactly seeing a problem with being able to do the same in 3rd.
I got through 92.3% of Portable 3rd naked, so that is worse, checkmate (or maybe the point is what most people can do, not what an obsessed minority can do).

If you don't think anything but 1st hand experience should be used then why do anything beyond tell people who don't have such experience to try both and see for themselves?

Also "but but but that and that and that and that flaw was also in Tri in my opinion" probably doesn't inspire confidence for most newcomers...

Kuran

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
Wait. So I would have to have a PSP.

Damn. I don't have one. I was hoping I would just be able to play it online on my PS3 outright. Ah well

You don't need a PSP if you have a PS3 and buy the HD release.

Lance Bone Path said:
Sorry, I don't think that a belief formed from other people's opinions and uninformed by personal experience has as much value as an opinion formed from first hand experience particularly when we're not exactly talking about some rare thing that few people here have ever seen. This is, of course, an opinion.

Collecting gear in Tri is largely unnecessary as well. I got through 80% of Tri with hunter/rathian armor so I'm not exactly seeing a problem with being able to do the same in 3rd.

You're probably in the minority too.

Alextended said:
I got through 92.3% of Portable 3rd naked, so that is worse, checkmate.
It sounds like it was worse for you and I can respect that opinion. That's too bad, but your experience has no effect on my personal opinion that 3rd is overall a better and more accessible game than Tri.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Portable 3rd was definitely easier than Tri but a lot of things made it that way. They improved the hitboxes, gave monsters less HP, but more importantly they didn't really give any of the returning monsters new gimmicks to adapt to from what I remember. I remember having the hardest time against Barioth in Tri for a looooong time, but in Portable 3rd he was generally the same so it wasn't a difficult fight.

Oichi said:
Portable 3rd was definitely easier than Tri but a lot of things made it that way. They improved the hitboxes, gave monsters less HP, but more importantly they didn't really give any of the returning monsters new gimmicks to adapt to from what I remember. I remember having the hardest time against Barioth in Tri for a looooong time, but in Portable 3rd he was generally the same so it wasn't a difficult fight.

Never played Tri so it will be a great experience for me (assuming it comes to US) :)

BooJoh

Kuran said:
You don't need a PSP if you have a PS3 and buy the HD release.
Does it say that for sure? I'm still trying to figure out if you can use ad-hoc on PS3 or if it's saying you need to transfer to PSP first.

KTallguy

Banned
The art in this game is so good that even without AA it looks much better than a lot of games out there. The game has fantastic art design. If they make the effects better in HD (not just PSP uprezed) it would be amazing, but they will probably go the cheapest route.

I really wonder how many people in Japan will go out and buy this, but hell what do I know. Everyone just seems content playing on little screens these days.

Ratrat

Bel Marduk said:
You're probably in the minority too.
Its really more about skill with Monster Hunter. Veteran players can destroy a tigrex in their underwear. I'm more of a cowardly bowgunner myself.

Tenbatsu

Tri is not that hard, in fact it is well balanced. Monsters rarely hit you with cheap moves anymore and the overall damage calculation is pretty spot on. Underwater is a welcome addition to the series too thou there is still room for improvements.

MHP3 on the other hand provides more contents. However you can finish it pretty fast as the difficulty is way way too low. You will only find challenge if you treat it as a solo player game. Armor mixing is dumbdown too, it's even harder to mix now as the points allocation undergo some changes. It's still enjoyable as a portable game buy it's certainly not Tri standard.

Vamphuntr

jaundicejuice said:

Has doing this ever worked? I'm just curious to know. Their DLC characters for MVsC 3 poll never led to anything for the game. The thread to bring AAI2 failed to bring result too. They also had a thread for Monster Hunter 360 and it led nowhere. If they want to bring it here, I doubt they will base the demand on people posting on their forums.

Tenbatsu said:
Tri is not that hard, in fact it is well balanced. Monsters rarely hit you with cheap moves anymore and the overall damage calculation is pretty spot on. Underwater is a welcome addition to the series too thou there is still room for improvements.

MHP3 on the other hand provides more contents. However you can finish it pretty fast as the difficulty is way way too low. You will only find challenge if you treat it as a solo player game. Armor mixing is dumbdown too, it's even harder to mix now as the points allocation undergo some changes. It's still enjoyable as a portable game buy it's certainly not Tri standard.

Cool.

I think the best way to sell this would be in a digital bundle. 50$ and you get the localised PSP version of Freedom 3 and the HD version, that you can transfer your progress between seamlessly. They could sell the versions seperately, 30$ each, in case someone wanted one version over the other. But a DD bundle would be epic.

Edit: In regards to posting on the Capcom blog about wanting this release here, what can it hurt?

There was a discussion in the recent Ask Capcom Livestream and the Capcom rep mentioned that they were looking at ways of bringing "the content", not "the game", over to North America when the inevitable question about Freedom 3's release outside of Japan was asked. Has the decision likely already been made as to whether or not they'll release it here? Yup, will it hurt you to voice your interest? Nope.

So what are you waiting for? DO ETTTTTTTT, DO ETTTTTTTTT NAO!1!one!

Tenbatsu

Infinite Justice said:
Online mode only. I stopped ad hoc with friends as it's a pain to setup and none of them are interested any more. I play the game solo which is still easy but at least it pose a bit of challenge now.

Friends kept on pestering me to replay Tri a 3rd time thou lol.

No G quests.
v

Gaspode_T

They announced this literally right after ending a huge Monster Hunter Frontier Online ad campaign...(PC/360 only MMORPG version of MonHun)

The gap in popularity is kind of amazing to me, it's like the red headed child nobody is admitting even exists. Japan has never really bought off on MMORPGs outside of some limited popularity inside manga cafes, at a basic level they don't like gaming on PCs as much as PSPs/PS3. I personally don't like the Phantasy Star Online/PSP MonHun style of online RPGs but it is better for playing in a set social group...can't go into a McDonalds here without seeing some high school students playing it even today.

onken

Though thinking about it I would have preferred 720p with AA. Maybe AA will be dependent on resolution like GT5, probably wishful thinking though.

iamcenok

I would love a current gen MH made specifically for PS3/360. And this is the first step.

Day 1 whether this is announced for US or not.

Astery

jaundicejuice said:
There's no G rank quests in Portable 3rd, right?
Strictly speaking, no. However, there is 1 G rank quest as a download quest currently. It's the one from 2 weeks ago.

54-46!

If Capcom want to be truly awesome, they'll release the PS3 version as a retail disc with a PSN voucher for the PSP version.

This is great news. I tried the demo for the latest one (in NA) last year and couldn't get into it due to the loading and controls. Recently I picked up Gods Eater Burst which I really enjoy pretty much because it fixes those issues (IMO anyway). Can't wait to buy this and play it with the second stick anc hopefully no loading between areas

Random question: Did Japan actually go crazy? I'm wondering why its in the title. I mean its in caps and everything! I

Defuser

HamPster PamPster said:
This is great news. I tried the demo for the latest one (in NA) last year and couldn't get into it due to the loading and controls. Recently I picked up Gods Eater Burst which I really enjoy pretty much because it fixes those issues (IMO anyway). Can't wait to buy this and play it with the second stick anc hopefully no loading between areas
edit : herp derp

heringer

LOVED Monster Hunter Tri. It was my Wii's 2010 GOTY, and that's saying something when you're up against Galaxy 2.

So, what is Monster Hunter Portable 3? Is it a version of Monster Hunter Tri with some new content or a different game altogether? Kinda disappointing that there's no underwater battles, loved those.

54-46!

heringer said:
So, what is Monster Hunter Portable 3? Is it a version of Monster Hunter Tri with some new content or a different game altogether?
It's the most recent main line Monster Hunter game, it's got some Tri content but it's mostly based on MHP2 from what I've gathered.

Takao

Banned
hteng said:
super robot wars Z2 remastered to PS3, do it namco bandai

The sprites will not look like really nice blown up to a higher resolution and display given they were designed for the PSP, and won't be redone for a PS3 release.

Top Bottom