• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. - Japan goes CRAZY [Screenshots - 1080p/No AA?]

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sony probably realized that they could sell tons of more PS3 if they brought MH3 to the PS3. This is the easy way. Not surprised that this didn't happen earlier actually. Now if they only brought PS2 games then we would have the whole Sony family....

Lance Bone Path said:
In my opinion HD third only needs to sell better than Tri to prove that Capcom's decision to put Tri on the wii was a mistake.
it needs to sell a lot more to make up for the Tri subscription fees, AHP is free online play. and here we go with the Tri is a mistake. if anything Capcom was happy they didn't have to make anything in HD, and could reuse assets for the PSP.

if Capcom doesn't release this in the west i will be mad. the opportunity is perfect.

kayos90 said:
Sony probably realized that they could sell tons of more PS3 if they brought MH3 to the PS3. This is the easy way. Not surprised that this didn't happen earlier actually. Now if they only brought PS2 games then we would have the whole Sony family....
I sort of wonder if it was the only way, given P3 is so different from Tri that it's basically a new game. Perhaps Nintendo really did lock down Tri exclusivity?

Sony having P3 across PSP, PS3 and NGP also makes me wonder if Nintendo will be looking similarly into spreading Tri to 3DS and Cafe? Basically, having an exclusive "line" each for Sony and Nintendo.

CamHostage

Alextended said:
There are definitely new textures but there are a ton of eyesores included. The enhancements make it look more inconsistent if anything, than drastically improve the whole look. The village area probably has more enhancements than most others too. Couldn't they have the Tri style water effects at least, if not add generic shaders to it?

I would imagine it has less to do with redoing certain textures and more to do with certain textures working really well with the filters they're using while others don't mesh as efficiently. It is disappointing that some of the effects weren't improved though, I have a feeling there's some kind of emulation or congruous porting in this (the save files are often the same and I'm not sure if it's cross-compatible with PSP version but it interfaces with Ad-Hoc Party, that sounds like a whole lot of common code between the versions rather than rewritten porting) but effects can often be dramatically different just by how they're processed. The PSP water might not be much of an effect though, I haven't seen MH3P but it could be a pretty simple transparent texture rather than a water "effect"?

Cwarrior said:
Am just speachless at how low capcom will go for maximum profit by avoid spending money and time to make new assests.

...Why are you so speechless? It's a remastering, not a full-fledged re-release, this for all appearances looks to be an emulation of the PSP game rather than a complete remake so it's not like they can rip out all the code and make it anew. And even if they could, how much cash and time were you expecting them to dump into this based on the program (PSP Remaster seems pretty clear to me, it's not a new game) it's a part of? I wasn't expecting the PoP or GoW re-releases on PS3 to match up with other next-gen games, I'm not looking at the PSP Remaster games to do much better but present the original games in the best possible light. You can be outraged at the price (depending on how much this costs, if it's going to be on a disc then it probably won't be a bargain but if Sony is regulating the Remaster program then maybe it'll have a set price range?) and you can be disappointed by the results of the conversion, but don't go overboard with expectations.

Orayn

Lance Bone Path said:
In my opinion HD third only needs to sell better than Tri to prove that Capcom's decision to put Tri on the wii was a mistake.
Still a moot point, as no console MH could ever outdo Portable 3rd's performance in Japan.

Synless said:
Wait, we still would have to use ad-hoc party? What kind of stupid shit is that?

it's so ps3 player can play with psp player. otherwise, the psp ver wouldn't know how to communicate with the ps3 version.

noobie

Banned
So can this version out sell MH Tri for Wii?
I think only 1 game has crossed a million for PS3 in Japan. so it looks quite tough to me, when even GT5, MGS and many other failed to achieve, a late port of a PSP game does it.. especially when it look like it will be full price, expensive game.

fernoca

Looks way better than expected. Hope many more companies jump into this, wouldn't mind double dipping for some games like Dissidia, 3rd Birthday. Soulcalibur... :)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
noobie said:
I think only 1 game has crossed a million for PS3 in Japan. so it looks quite tough to me, when even GT5, MGS and many other failed to achieve, a late port of a PSP game does it.. especially when it look like it will be full price, expensive game.

I honestly doubt it, as it's the same game that 4.5 million people already bought and played/are playing. I could see it selling 500-600K.

Shadowhaxor said:
So, how long until we find out if it is or isn't hitting the states?

E3 probably. I would be shocked if a major reason for this initiative WASN'T the fact that Capcom would be throwing money down the toilet to bring this over on the PSP. But they just can't let a 4.5 million seller just sit in Japan now can they?

klee123

mugurumakensei said:
Unlikely.... Tri sold better than MH1 PS2 in the west as well as the psp games.

Yeah, thanks to the PSP games helping the IP grow in popularity. Nothing to do with the console it was on whatsoever. Wii version simply rode on the popularity of the PSP games.

Still I do agree that HD won't outsell tri simply due to the fact that HD is simply a port. If they can still sell half a million in Japan, it'd still be quite of a success.

Shut_up_and_take_my_money_RE_Gues_what_this_is-s500x313-149402.jpg

klee123 said:
Yeah, thanks to the PSP games helping the IP grow in popularity. Nothing to do with the console it was on whatsoever. Wii version simply rode on the popularity of the PSP games.

Still I do agree that HD won't outsell tri simply due to the fact that HD is simply a port. If they can still sell half a million in Japan, it'd still be quite of a success.

MH PSP games didn't really grow the IP in the west. That only holds true in Japan. Most of the success in the west was due to a stronger advertising presence.

Reallink

Jeels said:
I doubt upscaling a PSP game to HD cost even half as much as creating a new game for the Wii.

Half? What they're doing here isn't 1/50th the cost of a fairly high production ground up Wii title (like Tri). Even an enhanced port with some new assets wouldn't come close to half.

fernoca said:
Looks way better than expected. Hope many more companies jump into this, wouldn't mind double dipping for some games like Dissidia, 3rd Birthday. Soulcalibur... :)
A lot if sales are good for this game.

RurouniZel said:
E3 probably. I would be shocked if a major reason for this initiative WASN'T the fact that Capcom would be throwing money down the toilet to bring this over on the PSP. But they just can't let a 4.5 million seller just sit in Japan now can they?

EXACTLY

Raide

RurouniZel said:

How have the previous MH games done outside of Japan? Seems to be Capcom are focusing MH games around the mobile market. I hope they bust out a new next-gen MH game. Do some Lost Planet cross over stuff. :D

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Raide said:
How have the previous MH games done outside of Japan? Seems to be Capcom are focusing MH games around the mobile market. I hope they bust out a new next-gen MH game. Do some Lost Planet cross over stuff. :D

Outside of MHTri for the Wii, shit. Think Dragon Quest VII's 4.1 million in Japan vs. Dragon Warrior VII's not-even-100K in the west.

Even in Japan, MH didn't REALLY take off until the PSP happened. MH is built for local multiplayer, and the PSP is perfectly built for that.

Ports have sold extremely well on ps3 (samurai warrior 3 z , tales of graces f, tales of vesperia). I can't see this game selling less than 800,000. This is not coming to western market. They want to push monster hunter as a huge franchise in the west which it should be.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
hebrew hammer said:
Ports have sold extremely well on ps3 (samurai warrior 3 z , tales of graces f, tales of vesperia). I can't see this game selling less than 800,000. This is not coming to western market. They want to push monster hunter as a huge franchise in the west which it should be.
Lol. Totally the same situation, sure.

Portable 3rd, huh?

*notices that this is the lol easy mode version of Tri with no underwater and no real online*

Uh...fuck that. I'll keep playing Tri, Japan.

yurinka

noobie said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure it will sell more than a million. From these 4.5 sold, many people would love to play it in HD in a bigger screen, with 2nd analog, the same savedata, on-line and 3D where available. And if still there is someone who wants to play it and doesn't have a PSP, maybe they have a PS3.

You also have to consider MH fans even bought things like 2ndG, which only had some minor new features compared to other titles.

hebrew hammer said:
not much of a difference to me. It seems people buy this shit regardless. Super Mario collection is another game that sold 800k.
Speaking of which, I wonder which sells more; DQ Collection or MHP3HD?

Luminate said:
Yeah...gonna join the minority and say that this doesn't bode well for the NGP in the west.

pray tell, how are NGP games that use the touchscreen/touch pads going to be ported simply to PS3?

and lets discount the fact that people can easily lug PS3s and their flatscreens with them onto buses and trains, amirite?

jett

D-Member
Pretty interesting that Capcom actually remade textures and stuff. I hope all "PSP remaster" games get this kind of treatment, there's a few PSP games I'm really interested in playing.

Wait wait wait wai twait wait awit awit wait

What the fuck

So this is different than MH Tri?

Please tell me this is true

someone please!

if this is a different game

imayhavetobuyaps3

Road

Raide said:
How have the previous MH games done outside of Japan?
[PSP] MHP: at least 230k
[PSP] MHP2: at least 250k
[PSP] MHP2G: at least 450k
[WII] MHTri: at least 690k

EDIT:
RurouniZel said:
Outside of MHTri for the Wii, shit. Think Dragon Quest VII's 4.1 million in Japan vs. Dragon Warrior VII's not-even-100K in the west.

Even in Japan, MH didn't REALLY take off until the PSP happened. MH is built for local multiplayer, and the PSP is perfectly built for that.
And for the record, DQVII did sell more than 100k in the West...

...some 140k. :lol

CoffeeJanitor said:
Wait wait wait wai twait wait awit awit wait

What the fuck

So this is different than MH Tri?

Please tell me this is true

someone please!

if this is a different game

imayhavetobuyaps3

It's a different game. It basically took the stuff from Tri and added some of the older games stuff and a lot more new equipment into it.

But from what I understand from folks who have played it, they dumbed it down a LOT. The difficulty is much easier compared to Tri, there's no swimming/underwater, and no dedicated online (it uses AdHoc like the old games).

jett said:
Pretty interesting that Capcom actually remade textures and stuff. I hope all "PSP remaster" games get this kind of treatment, there's a few PSP games I'm really interested in playing.
I'd like to see this happen to Crisis Core. I never played that game even though my brother owns it. It'd be nice to play it on something without that crappy nub the PSP has.

And to Type-0, of course.

AlphaDragoon said:
It's a different game. It basically took the stuff from Tri and added some of the older games stuff and a lot more new equipment into it.

But from what I understand from folks who have played it, they dumbed it down a LOT. The difficulty is much easier compared to Tri, there's no swimming/underwater, and no dedicated online (it uses AdHoc like the old games).
Well damn. I just want an MH game on consoles that has nice online with voice chat. Tri was good but voice chat would have made it perfect.

fates

Road said:
[PSP] MHP: at least 230k
[PSP] MHP2: at least 250k
[PSP] MHP2G: at least 450k
[WII] MHTri: at least 690k

That's... actually not bad. I expected A LOT lower for the PSP game at least.

The loss of underwater is pretty sad though, it was a switch from constant land battles. Lagiacrus was really cool, too.

But I think at the very least, P3rd has a great monster roster. Sadly Lagi and Caedeus got dropped, but Barioth and Alatreon made the cut. And there's a friggin' BEAR MONSTER now. Pretty cool.

AlphaDragoon said:

Please. If you haven't played it, you should just let people who have played it speak for themselves.

Anything that's dumbed down was dumbed down by Tri first. Tri is not that hard and the game is not about being hard- it's about playing with other people. Much of the difficulty came from various things being broken like hitboxes. If Tri feels harder, it's probably because of the various measures to make it a joyless grind for equipment or hunter rank.

Swimming/underwater is not universally loved. I think fighting underwater is crap and removing it makes the game better because a lot of weapon types return in exchange.

Tri's online is no better than ad hoc party and is worse in many respects.

Ad hoc party supports 8 person rooms, mics (i.e. voice chat), allows the owner of a room to kick out unwanted guests, allows the owner to modify room descriptions whenever, and you can still use regular psn messaging and receive notices that friends are online.

le.phat

CoffeeJanitor said:
Well damn. I just want an MH game on consoles that has nice online with voice chat. Tri was good but voice chat would have made it perfect.

Actually it is a completely new game. What they did was they combined parts of the old MH system with new elements and monsters introduced in Tri and streamlined this into a new installment. The setting is completely new, as are almost all armors and weapons. the hunting fields are MH Tri's, but there's a new field added. Felynes are back in, and this time you can bring 2 on a quest. The 4 weapon types dropped in Tri are back in and streamlined, aswell as the weapon type that was added in Tri. 8+ New monsters are introduced. Overall the gameplay is a bit easier for diehards, but more accesible for new hunters, and still very much enjoyable for all.

BooJoh

I don't understand the multiplayer aspect.

Can it really use adhoc party to play online using the PS3 version, or do you have to transfer to PSP before playing online?

If there's no way to go online with just the PS3 version, combined with the "HD" game using PSP assets, I can't imagine this being very successful in the West where they don't seem set on releasing the PSP version at all.

I feel like Capcom has just been screwing the West over with the MH series, and then rubbing it in our face constantly over on Capcom-Unity. :|

ezekial45

Banned
I could never really get into MH. It just feels like work playing the game really. I know theres a lot of depth there, but i could never really bring myself to stick with it.

I'm glad it's a success though, and that it could lead to other PSP titles being brought to the PS3.

well Yay, and I Will Buy This, and 2 Copies Please Sir etc..

but would someone be able to explain how it's made easier - are we talking monsters have less health, don't go into rages so often, no deviljho interrupting a pecco hunt etc.?

Astery

I don't see how this is going to make Japan go crazy. MHp3 is out for more or less 9 - 10 months when this HD port is releasing, considering even the slowest guys who kept on playing has now reached the max Hunter Rank, I just don't see a lot of people will buy into this if there's basically 0 new content. The HD is nice but I'm not really seeing much other than using the slightly more high res textures. Watching the HD trailer, most of the time I couldn't figure which is the HD version per say. It just looks cleaner. I will be interested if MH3pG HD on the same day release as mh3pG.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
le.phat said:
Actually it is a completely new game. What they did was they combined parts of the old MH system with new elements and monsters introduced in Tri and streamlined this into a new installment. The setting is completely new, as are almost all armors and weapons. the hunting fields are MH Tri's, but there's a new field added. Felynes are back in, and this time you can bring 2 on a quest. The 4 weapon types dropped in Tri are back in and streamlined, aswell as the weapon type that was added in Tri. 8+ New monsters are introduced. Overall the gameplay is a bit easier for diehards, but more accesible for new hunters, and still very much enjoyable for all.
Tri is more accessible due to the single player being basically one giant tutorial with a bit of a more integrated and conventional story progression to begin with and keep newcomers going. It's never unfair, but after you learn things it doesn't become too easy either. Tri is the better game overall, and felt like a true sequel with substantial feature additions (not all of which remained in 3rd) like the customisable bowguns and underwater hunts. For more content after that Unite/2G is a better choice than 3rd imo, even if it can get super cheap at times (fucking plesioth). Things like 2 felynes and what not are just different things, not necessarily better or fresher. Most new monsters aren't great.

le.phat said:
I'm just confused...Would you be able to play this on PSN? I know nothing about ad-hoc

Alextended said:
Tri is more accessible due to the single player being basically one giant tutorial with a bit of conventional story progression to begin with and keep newcomers going. It's never unfair, but after you learn things it doesn't become too easy either. Tri is the better game overall, and felt like a true sequel with substantial feature additions like the customisable bowguns and underwater hunts. If you want more content after that then Unite/2G is a better choice than Portable 3rd imo, even if it can get super cheap at times (fucking plesioth). Things like 2 felynes and what not are just different things, not necessarily better or fresher. Most new monsters in Portable 3rd aren't so great either.
Monster hunter games are notorious for having bosses that are a sudden jump in difficulty (for people new to the series) and 3rd adds monsters that reduce those jumps in difficulty, so 3rd is even more accessible.

It's strange that Tri can be accepted for being more accessible by some people, and on the other hand, 3rd which does similar things to be more accessible than Tri is considered by the same exact people to be dumbed down.

Top Bottom